- ‘This bill would bleed out the Harrisburg School District’: Pa. auditor general speaks on voucher bill
- > Nov 26, 6:50 AM: At a Monday morning news conference billed as an update of an ongoing audit of the Harrisburg School District, state and local officials spent less time taking about the real-time audit’s findings and more attacking
- BASD approves legal counsel in charter school expansion
- Nov 26, 6:17 AM: The Lehigh Valley Academy Regional Charter School (LVA) is reworking a contract with the Bethlehem Area School District, but the school district is preparing for potential legal battles.
- Rally slated to "save Chester schools" from charter
- > Nov 26, 5:52 AM: Chester Upland School District employees will hold a rally with parents and other community members next week with the hope of staving off a “charter school takeover” of all elementary schools in the district.
- ‘Enough is enough’: at Philly school board meeting, community demands action
- > Nov 22, 9:28 AM: Anger over environmental conditions in Philadelphia public schools heightened Thursday as parents, teachers, students, and community members demanded action from the school board at a rally and a raucous public meeting.
- Acting superintendent says state bill “abandons the Harrisburg School District”
- > Nov 22, 6:47 AM: "The school voucher program cannot let 6,700 students out. It's simply a myth. It cannot happen," said George. He added schools have the right to choose what students they take. That concerns George because he said
- Cumberland Valley to offer online courses
- Nov 21, 7:17 AM: Cumberland Valley School District will be offering its students’ online courses. The district says by offering online courses, it will save money to hire more teachers as class sizes grow.
- Financial torpedo or academic lifeline? Tuition voucher bill debated by Harrisburg community
- Nov 21, 6:59 AM: It’s being hailed as a lifeline for parents frustrated by struggling schools and derided by critics as a body blow to the Harrisburg School District.
- Controversy over proposed school choice program
- > Nov 21, 6:03 AM: A bill moving through the state legislature is proposing to create a tuition voucher program to help students in the Harrisburg School District, but district officials are concerned it would cost the district more money
- Capitol rally supports charter schools
- Nov 20, 7:59 AM: Hundreds of charter school parents, students and teachers filled the state Capitol on Tuesday to voice their opposition to Gov. Tom Wolf’s proposed charter school reforms.
- Health sciences, dance-focused charter schools proposed for Philadelphia
- Nov 20, 6:43 AM: The Philadelphia school board has been asked to consider two new charter schools, one aimed at preparing students for careers in health care and the other focusing on dance and creative arts.
- Editorial: Aiming for equity: PPS pursues a laudable, lofty goal
- > Nov 19, 8:19 AM: Pittsburgh Public Schools’ new plan to reduce racial disparities within the district takes aim at a laudable and important goal. But PPS must proceed cautiously, regularly checking the successes and failures of its 27-step
- Charter school pushes for takeover of Chester Upland’s elementary schools
- > Nov 19, 6:53 AM: Pennsylvania’s largest brick-and-mortar charter school, which already enrolls 60% of the Chester Upland School District’s elementary students, has moved to let charters take over the fiscally distressed district’s primary
- Pa. House panel advances bill authorizing vouchers for Harrisburg schools
- Nov 19, 6:19 AM: A plan to let public school students use school vouchers to attend private schools in Harrisburg advanced out of the House Education Committee Monday.
- Tuition vouchers will do more harm to Harrisburg’s recovering schools than good | Opinion
- > Nov 18, 7:17 AM: For the first time in many years, the Harrisburg School District is on the right track. The district finally has the right administrative team and a supportive school board to turn things around after years of fiscal
- Opinion: Charter schools do not receive less funding
- > Nov 15, 8:42 AM: Pennsylvania is overdue when it comes to reforming charter school laws. Parents and taxpayers are weary of the untruths that are often purported to prevent any type of Charter reform. It’s also worth noting that proponents
- Gov. Wolf set to discuss charter school reform package
- > Nov 15, 6:48 AM: Governor Tom Wolf is set to discuss his charter school reform package and encourage new legislation. Right now there are almost 200 charter schools in Pennsylvania but the Governor says the state’s charter school law is
- Supporters of Pa.'s first community college to open in 25 years still pushing for approval
- > Nov 14, 8:09 AM: Opening the first community college in Pennsylvania in 25 years has been an ongoing challenge for Erie County, but that’s not stopping supporters of the school from trying to influence the State Board of Education to take
- Column: Lawmakers should stand up for charter students like my son
- > Nov 14, 7:46 AM: I am a true believer in traditional public education. My father taught in California’s public school system for 30 years, and I attended traditional public schools myself. But I chose a different avenue for my son: cyber
- Philly school knew about toxic lead in drinking water but kept parents in the dark
- Nov 14, 6:33 AM: Administrators say they were unaware of the issues. However, Marcus says she and others complained about the brown water in 2016 to school leaders. No one ever formally notified parents.
- A new community college is the economic development engine that Erie needs to succeed | Opinion
- > Nov 13, 8:24 AM: Pennsylvania has a large “investment deficit,” shortchanging the next generation and the state by failing to put resources into 21st century education and infrastructure. Now regional leaders from Erie County have stepped
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Pittsburgh Courier 100%
- The Mercury 88%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Philadelphia City Paper - Online 0%
- Echo Pilot - Online 0%