- Banking on city cash, Philly school district introduces $3.2B budget
- > Mar 23, 6:47 AM: The bulk of the increase to the district’s budget, however, comes in other areas: from increases in payments to charter schools (by $79 million, to nearly $984 million), debt service (by $25 million, to $301 million),
- CC Partnership, school district join hands
The school board has five new members this year who want to include everyone as stakeholders, he said. He encouraged the public to come to school board meetings and to talk to school district administrators. “We want to >
Mar 22, 6:32 AM:
- York district countersues Thackston, seeks order closing school, plus attorney fees
- > Mar 22, 5:26 AM: Just a month ago, the York City School District stated it had “a plan in place” for the expected influx of students from the Helen Thackston Charter School. Now, in a response and counterclaim to Thackston’s lawsuit filed
- Some parents will get to 'choose' private school but rest of us will suffer under SB-193
- > Mar 21, 5:50 AM: This so-called school voucher bill (actually an education savings account or ESA) would divert public funds to private, often unregulated schools and create a segregated school system. And our public education system will
- AASD to expand cyber school
- > Mar 21, 4:59 AM: Last year, 20 students who walked across Mansion Park and received an Altoona Area High School diploma wouldn’t have been able to do that if the district hadn’t offered a cyber education program.
- Opinion: Pennsylvania needs charter school reform now
- > Mar 20, 6:39 AM: In many cases, however, school districts have become the anti-reformers of today vocally opposing charter schools. Instead of traditional public education establishment organizations and school districts constantly
- Kenney gets 18 new names for school board consideration
- Mar 19, 5:03 AM: A little more than a week after asking for more candidates to consider for the city’s fledgling school board, Mayor Kenney has a new list of names.<
- Report shows more suburban Pa. students choosing charter schools
- > Mar 19, 4:58 AM: For 15 consecutive years, the number of children attending charter schools in the four counties surrounding Philadelphia has increased, according to “Uncharted Territory,” an analysis by the advocacy group Public Citizens
- Area school boards join opposition to school choice bill
- > Mar 15, 6:31 AM: Area school districts are steadily joining the ranks of those state-wide passing resolutions opposing a proposal bill in the state Senate that, they argue, would drain resources from public schools and are akin to school
- Another View: Another look at appeal of local charter schools
- > Mar 14, 6:43 AM: I also wanted to remind Ms. Mayberry that when parents, for whatever reasons, decide to transfer their children to a public charter school, the traditional school no longer carries the expense for educating that student,
- Local mom says there's no reliable way for her daughter to get to school
- > Mar 13, 6:02 AM: Finding a top-notch school for your child can be a challenge. So imagine the frustration when you find a school your child loves only to discover there's no reliable way to get her there Brianna Smith is a straight-A
- School boards in Pa. are lining up against a proposed school choice bill
- > Mar 13, 4:29 AM: School boards across Pennsylvania have signaled their opposition to a state Senate bill that would allow students in struggling districts to use state money for private school tuition and other pre-approved expenses, a
- School work on a snow day? Pennsylvania picks up on cyber snow day trend
- > Mar 8, 7:25 AM: For the last three years, Pennsylvania has run a pilot cyber snow day program at a dozen schools across the state. When classes are canceled, students are given assignments to complete from home. The work counts toward the
- Some area school boards opposing school voucher bill
- Mar 8, 6:59 AM: The Bensalem, Bristol Borough, Council Rock and Morrisville boards have all passed resolutions opposing a proposed state law that would allow public money to follow a student to a private school.
- MaST Community Charter School reveals admission lottery winners
- Feb 28, 7:41 AM: There was disappointment for some parents and relief for others Tuesday at the lottery for a coveted seat at MaST Community Charter School.
- Hampton school board opposes Pennsylvania education savings account bill
- > Feb 27, 6:03 AM: The Hampton Township School Board is telling the state Legislature that a Senate bill that would give students in underperforming schools access to an education savings account would not benefit Pennsylvania public school
- Philly's new school board has 27 nominees. Who will Mayor Kenney pick?
- > Feb 27, 5:58 AM: Reaching across the city to tap men and women with a diverse range of experiences — from activists to businesspeople, from government veterans to founders of nonprofits — the school board nominating panel on Monday
- Charter School Continues to Grow
- Feb 23, 8:29 AM: The Young Scholars of Central PA Charter School recently expanded and was renovated, giving a growing student body a better space in which to learn.
- Western Pa.'s school districts set up own cyber academies to keep money, students in-house
- > Feb 23, 8:06 AM: Instead of paying for students to be educated elsewhere, Westmoreland County's largest school district had to find a way to meet the demand for online education. Four years ago, Hempfield Area opened its own cyber academy.
- Philly will get one new charter school; SRC denies 6 more
- > Feb 23, 6:42 AM: The School Reform Commission Thursday night approved a single new charter school for Philadelphia, another outpost for the successful MaST network in Northeast Philadelphia and adding 1,300 students to the city’s charter
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Pittsburgh Courier 100%
- The Mercury 88%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Philadelphia City Paper - Online 0%
- Echo Pilot - Online 0%