- TASD approves assistance for virtual academy
- > Sep 18, 6:13 AM: One of the primary functions of the Pittsburgh-based company will be to target the students and families who have chosen to attend a cyber charter school instead of TASD. The district must partially pay for the tuition of
- Opinion: Why we chose online school for our teen
- > Sep 18, 5:14 AM: Our teen works, runs a small business (with her sister), is a night owl by nature, and also we travel often as a family. We thought, why not let her try an online school environment that fosters independence and offer
- Allentown School District to spend $13,000 on billboards, radio ads
- Sep 14, 6:03 AM: The competition of school choice is compelling the Allentown School District to spend $13,000 on billboards, promotional videos and radio ads, Superintendent Thomas Parker said.
- Penn grad launches Philadelphia charter school with unorthodox teaching methods
- > Sep 13, 5:09 AM: But with its unorthodox curricula and teaching methods, the Deep Roots Charter School has already been received with mixed reviews. At the heart of the growing controversy is Deep Roots' founder and 2014 Penn GSE graduate
- Commentary: To make big impact, new Philly school board must break with the past
- > Sep 12, 6:47 AM: The board has also begun to institute meaningful reforms, including establishing committees so that those with a stake in the district can engage in more meaningful participation beyond their allotted three-minute
- Auditor general: Loophole lets charter schools keep public in the dark
- > Sep 12, 5:38 AM: The Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Arts did nothing illegal during the bidding process for its $25 million facility, but it may have benefited from a loophole in state law that allows charters to conduct
- Teachers leave Philly schools at especially high rates, new study says
- Sep 6, 6:17 AM: Fully half of all teachers nationally leave the profession within the first five years, with special retention challenges in urban school systems.
- Residents pack Chi School Board meeting on new charter school
- Aug 30, 6:38 AM: About 150 residents packed a special meeting of the Chichester School Board Tuesday night to weigh in on a proposal for the operation of a charter school in the district was expected to be presented.
- Philly charter school trains teachers, staff in youth mental health first aid
- Aug 29, 6:32 AM: A Pennsylvania task force on school safety recommends better access to mental health services — including age-appropriate materials for students and teachers.
- Letter: The Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers works diligently on communication
- Aug 29, 6:15 AM: As the president of the Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers, I was disappointed in the points the Post-Gazette failed to make in the article “Laboring to Reach Out” (Aug. 23).
- For first time in nearly 10 years, new charter operator opens school in Philly
- > Aug 27, 5:38 AM: While other charters have opened in recent years in Philadelphia — where brick-and-mortar charter schools serve one-third of public school students — they have been started by operators already running schools in the
- Former Pittsburgh Public Schools administrator named head of charter school
- Aug 24, 5:01 AM: A former Pittsburgh Public Schools administrator has been appointed the new principal and CEO of City Charter High School.
- Landmark Pa. school-funding lawsuit appears headed to trial
- Aug 22, 7:12 AM: A landmark lawsuit challenging how Pennsylvania pays for public education is moving closer to trial after Commonwealth Court dismissed state lawmakers’ last remaining objection to the case.
- Following high court ruling on public sector union fees, battle for members escalates on many fronts
- > Aug 22, 6:53 AM: The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that unions representing people such as teachers, firefighters and state agency workers can no longer require fees from nonmembers, overturning 40 years of precedent. The decision has
- Cyber, charter schools bigger concern than consolidation
- Aug 22, 6:20 AM: Laurel High superintendent Len Rich believes cyber and charter schools are a fleecing of public education.
- Harrisburg school board moves to close charter school for misreporting info
- > Aug 21, 6:13 AM: A lawyer hired by the school district evaluated the progress and operations of the pre-K-8 school and noted test scores ranked the lowest in the city out of all schools, the school didn't comply with many mandates under
- Charter increase: Number of Pa. schools growing, not shrinking
- > Aug 21, 5:13 AM: The idea of chipping away at the number of Pennsylvania’s public school districts – 500 in all – has been a hot topic for years. But the number of publicly funded schools has quietly been growing since 1997. Since the
- 'He's a liar': Hot debate over education in Pa. governor's race
- > Aug 20, 7:26 AM: Wolf, a Democrat, made history four years ago, knocking off incumbent Republican Tom Corbett in no small part because voters were angry with how Corbett handled education cuts. Now up for reelection against Republican
- From rural villages to the gritty streets of Philly, kids displaced by Maria map their emotions
- > Aug 8, 7:33 AM: Morales began the map project during the school year with children from the Julia De Burgos Elementary School. But when her son, a 17-year-old at Olney Charter High School, told her about the kids displaced by Maria — They
- Wolf, Wagner spar over funding formula as education surges to center of Pa. governor’s race
- > Aug 2, 5:56 AM: The ad claims Wolf plans to rip money away from rural school districts in order to favor Philadelphia — which the Wolf campaign contended is a complete falsehood. It’s the latest ripple in a wave started a month ago by
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Pittsburgh Courier 100%
- The Mercury 88%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Philadelphia City Paper - Online 0%
- Echo Pilot - Online 0%