- Bill may open doors for educational options
- > May 23, 6:07 AM: Last week, in a bipartisan vote, the Pennsylvania House of Representatives passed House Bill 800, a school choice bill that promises opportunity to thousands of students trapped in inadequate schools simply because of
- Innovative Arts Academy Charter School makes argument to stay open while Catasauqua blasts school’s poor academic scores
- > May 23, 5:52 AM: Catasauqua administrators painted the Innovative Arts Academy Charter School as a school that’s habitually failing students academically. Charter school administrators sought to portray the school as one where students in
- Letter: Don’t blame charter schools for school system’s problems
- > May 22, 6:53 AM: If all the students currently in charter schools were suddenly required to now attend a public school, in all likelihood the public system would be required to construct new schools; then your taxes would really increase.
- Charter Appeals Board upholds decision to award charter to Catalyst Academy in Pittsburgh's East End
- May 22, 6:52 AM: The Pennsylvania Charter Appeals Board on Tuesday upheld an earlier decision to award a charter to Catalyst Academy, overturning a unanimous vote by the Pittsburgh Public Schools board last year.
- Students fight to save East Falls charter school
- May 22, 5:47 AM: Last spring, the now defunct School Reform Commission voted to close down the school, but the school community has been fighting since to stay open.
- In appeal for Harrisburg charter school, battle focuses on the number of signatures
- May 17, 7:06 AM: Supporters of a proposed charter school in Harrisburg haven’t given up on their goal of opening a school, despite the Harrisburg School Board’s rejection of its plans.
- Pennsylvania House panel advances charter school bills despite strong Democratic opposition
- > May 16, 6:59 AM: Sharp party lines again were drawn this week as a Pennsylvania House panel wrangled over a package of charter school bills covering a range of issues, including facilities use and a formal application process as new
- Mayor Jim Kenney says Philly should have fewer charter schools. Their supporters push back.
- > May 15, 6:03 AM: Mayor Jim Kenney was asked during Monday night’s Democratic mayoral debate whether there should be more, fewer, or the same number of charter schools in Philadelphia. He hesitated, then answered, “Fewer."
- Effort to reform charter school law on the move in the Pa. House
- > May 14, 8:20 AM: The House Education Committee passed four bills that would make tweaks to Pennsylvania's 22-year-old charter school law but some of those changes are unpopular with Democrats who see them as taking away school district
- Chartiers Valley program readies students for real work experiences
- May 14, 7:42 AM: At Chartiers Valley High School, an experimental sustainability-centered class this school year, known as the internship and career experience program, put the students in the driver seat.
- More Philadelphia voters support than oppose charter schools, Inquirer poll finds
- May 13, 6:39 AM: While charter schools have encountered controversy nationally over their role in public education, in Philadelphia, twice as many voters support as oppose them, according to a recent Inquirer poll.
- Schools strained by cyber options
- > May 13, 5:29 AM: Facing deep budget deficits owed in large part to state mandates including cyber charter school tuition, the Altoona Area and Hollidaysburg Area school boards last week both dreamt about the potential impact of legislation
- EITC helps Pennsylvania children achieve their fullest potential | Opinion
- May 13, 5:12 AM: Two decades ago then Governor Tom Ridge worked hard to fulfill a campaign promise. He wanted to provide school choice to less privileged kids through a school voucher program.
- Auditor says most cyber, charter schools lacked new child abuse reporting policy
- > May 10, 6:58 AM: Auditor General Eugene DePasquale says a vast majority of Pennsylvania's 179 cyber and charter schools did not have an updated policy on reporting child abuse until his office began looking into the matter this spring.
- Pa. should expand Educational Improvement Tax Credit | Opinion
- > May 9, 6:20 AM: Scholarships are provided by our job creators in exchange for a tax credit from the state and are available in three categories: pre-K; K-12; and educational improvement (through after-school and educational activities in
- Private school tax credit may get boost after two-day debate
- > May 8, 5:33 AM: The state House has passed a contentious proposal that would boost scholarships for private school students. The amount of money up for debate wasn't huge by the Capitol's standards. But lawmakers saw the bill as a symbol
- Parents of students at cyber charter schools concerned they'll have to pay
- May 7, 5:07 AM: Joy Barbara and her family live in State College. She says her daughter Judith was dealing with bullying and needed more individual attention than she was getting in public school.
- Reading schools' virtual academy sending strong signal
- > May 6, 5:34 AM: When the program started in February 2018, enrollment was capped at 30 students in sixth through 12th grades. The cap was lifted in fall and 70 students enrolled. By March, 140 students were in the program, Murray said.
- The forces behind Philly’s high teacher turnover
- > May 3, 7:41 AM: A stable teaching staff is crucial to a school’s academic success, but we found that thousands of the city’s most vulnerable children attend Philadelphia schools where teachers shuffle in and out at destabilizing rates —
- Opinion: End attacks on cyber public school students
- > May 3, 7:15 AM: We are privileged by the educational choices our state legislation affords, be it public, private, charter, or home school. This article is in response to the lack of balanced information found in the Guest Opinion article
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Pittsburgh Courier 100%
- The Mercury 88%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Philadelphia City Paper - Online 0%
- Echo Pilot - Online 0%