- House Dems tackling charter school reform
- Apr 25, 5:34 AM: Unhappy with a comprehensive charter school reform bill being pushed by House Republicans, House Democrats recently unveiled a package of nine separate bills aimed at solving the issue.
- Philly charter officials call for charters for 20 schools but not Laboratory
- > Apr 25, 5:01 AM: Geary said the charter office would recommend expansions for three K-8 charter schools that would add a total of 797 seats. He identified the schools as Alliance for Progress, in North Philadelphia; Southwest Leadership School in
- Charters host forum to hear from city school board
- Apr 24, 6:57 AM: The first candidate forum last week for those vying for a seat on the Pittsburgh Public Schools board had an unlikely host: A group of Pittsburgh charter schools.
- House bill takes aim at ‘conflict of interest’ in charter school leases
- > Apr 24, 5:36 AM: House Democrats on Wednesday unveiled a package of eight charter school reform bills they said are designed to treat all Pennsylvania public schools – both traditional and charter – and their students equally under
- Charter school funding worries Estep
- Apr 21, 6:37 AM: Proposals for charter school funding on the state level have brought concern to the superintendent of the Mifflin County School District.
- How A Former Catholic Church Became An Extraordinary Charter School (CER in the news)
- > Apr 20, 7:05 AM: 99%. That’s the rate — each year since 2012 — at which graduating seniors at Boys’ Latin Charter School in Pennsylvania are accepted into colleges across the United States. That’s a remarkable statistic.
- Both sides size up charter school bill
- Apr 20, 6:16 AM: A proposed rewrite of the state charter school law would allow public schools to keep almost $30 million by adding deductions for costs that computer-based schools don’t have.
- League of Women Voters pushes more school funding, charter school reform
- Apr 20, 4:39 AM: Pennsylvania has the widest gap in K-12 education funding between wealthy and poorer school districts, 33 percent, according to a presentation by the League of Women Voters.
- Charter school reform in Pa. is back on the table for consideration
- Apr 19, 5:39 AM: Once again, state lawmakers are trying to tackle reforms to the 20-year-old charter school law that opened the door to public school choice in Pennsylvania.
- Local supporters rebut criticism of education tax credit programs
- > Apr 18, 4:58 AM: At a time when the White House administration has verbally embraced school choice, a new report sharply criticized the use of education tax credits — giving businesses a tax reduction for money donated to pay for private school
- An unconventional teacher-prep program on the rise in Philly
- > Apr 17, 5:25 AM: Welcome to Relay Graduate School of Education, a new and controversial kind of teacher-preparation program whose prominence is rising in the city. The School Reform Commission recently approved a $150,000 contract with Relay to
- Catasauqua Area eyes strategy to keep students from going to charter schools
- > Apr 14, 6:15 AM: Facing a projected $600,000 increase in payments to charter schools, Catasauqua Area School Superintendent Robert Spengler wants to adopt a strategy to keep students in its schools. Spengler told the school board Tuesday that he
- Bill takes aim at conflicts of interest in charter school leases
- Apr 11, 6:24 AM: The Pennsylvania House of Representatives’ Democratic Education Committee Chair plans to introduce a bill that would end conflicts of interest in tax-funded payments for charter school leases.
- Easton’s Arts Charter School gets boost from tax credit program
The credit comes form the New Markets Tax Credit Program, which is administered by the U.S. Department of the Treasury. The federal program targets community building projects in areas where the poverty rate is at least 20 >
Apr 10, 5:53 AM:
- Charter school to acknowledge students ‘doing good’
- > Apr 7, 6:30 AM: With the weather warming up and local police looking to crack down on students causing a nuisance or trouble in Center City, one charter school is looking to recognize its students who used their presence in Center City for
- Easton NAACP hosts discussion with founder of Easton Arts Academy Elementary Charter School
- Apr 4, 6:46 AM: A local branch of the NAACP took a closer look at an issue the national chapter has already tackled: charter schools.
- As enrollment falls, Innovative Arts Academy restructures leadership
- Apr 4, 4:48 AM: Six months into its first year, Innovative Arts Academy Charter School is restructuring its leadership as its student enrollment has dropped and it has faced delays in key classroom construction.
- New arts-focused charter to recruit students beyond East Allegheny district
- Apr 3, 5:09 AM: The new Westinghouse Arts Academy Charter School, which this fall will take up residence in the former Westinghouse Elementary School in Wilmerding, will have room for 750 students.
- School District of Lancaster notches another legal victory over rejected charter school
- Mar 29, 6:38 AM: School District of Lancaster has marked another victory in its costly, three-year battle with the Academy of Business and Entrepreneurship Charter School.
- Excitement, disappointment during annual school lottery in West Philadelphia
- Mar 29, 6:29 AM: More than 1,300 kids applied, but there was only room for 81. Global Leadership Academy in West Philadelphia held their annual lottery Tuesday night. Some parents left overjoyed, many more left disappointed.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Pittsburgh Courier 100%
- The Mercury 88%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Philadelphia City Paper - Online 0%
- Echo Pilot - Online 0%