- 'Weak tax base,' charter enrollment keeping York City district in recovery, officials say
- Jan 29, 6:57 AM: York City School District's tax revenue has not met its expenses in recent years, and the district has relied on its reserves to buy down its tax rate, according to data from a recent report.
- District leaders call for moratorium on new charters until law is changed
- > Jan 29, 5:47 AM: In what they called an “unprecedented” coalition, more than 30 superintendents and other school district leaders in Southeast Pennsylvania — joined by several from the center of the state — are calling for a moratorium on
- Consistent violence at Harrisburg schools prompts call to action for district parents
- > Jan 28, 9:26 AM: Changes need to be made immediately, the community activists said, because some students are afraid to enter their school buildings. And according to school board member Jayne Buchwach, the students are not alone.
- Pa. superintendents join to demand charter school reform ahead of Wolf’s budget proposal
- > Jan 28, 6:26 AM: As school districts send increasingly larger shares of their budgets to charter schools, nearly 30 superintendents from across the Philadelphia area joined Monday to call for changes to Pennsylvania’s charter law in a
- Philly’s got the worst school librarian ratio in the U.S. This group is protesting.
- > Jan 27, 10:03 AM: Kayla Johnson is a library kid — the kind who gobbles up books and relishes time spent in the stacks of her school library and interacting with the librarian at the Masterman School. But Johnson, a senior at the elite
- City schools reviewing attendance data after chronic absenteeism rises
- Jan 27, 9:35 AM: The set of data presented last week to the Pittsburgh Public Schools board showed that chronic absenteeism was set to increase by nearly 3% — a concerning matter to district officials.
- With Turzai departure, private and charter schools lose a major ally in the capital
- > Jan 24, 6:41 AM: Pennsylvania Speaker of the House Mike Turzai’s legacy on education policy boils down to two words: school choice. The Allegheny County Republican — who announced Thursday he won’t seek re-election after eight years in top
- PA Has One Of The Country’s Largest Cyber Charter Populations, Erie Lawmaker Wants To Close Them
- > Jan 23, 8:45 AM: A bill that could radically reshape Pennsylvania’s cyber education landscape received a public hearing Tuesday in the House Education Committee, inspiring strong reactions from advocates and lawmakers.
- PA Provides Some Of The Worst Opportunities For Students Of Color, Report Says
- Jan 22, 8:35 AM: Students of color in Pennsylvania are far less likely than their white peers to have access to small classes, certified teachers and advanced coursework, according to a pair of new studies.
- PA Cyber’s CEO testifies against bill that would eliminate all cyber charters, require students to attend district-run virtual programs
- > Jan 22, 7:48 AM: In a state House hearing on Tuesday, Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School CEO Brian Hayden slammed a bill requiring school districts to offer cyber programs, saying proponents were ignoring the history behind cyber charter
- West Chester wants to win back charter students with its own cyber program, and it’s not alone
- > Jan 22, 6:46 AM: As Pennsylvania’s sizable cyber charter sector continues to draw students and funding from school districts — despite posting poor academic results — West Chester’s attempt stands as the latest effort by a district to beat
- ‘Bazooka to a knife fight’? The plan to close Pa. cyber charter schools
- > Jan 22, 6:42 AM: The plan to close Pa. cyber charter schoolsA bill that could radically reshape Pennsylvania’s cyber education landscape received a public hearing Tuesday in the House Education Committee, inspiring strong reactions from
- Its power taken away, Harrisburg school board struggles to find a role in district’s recovery
- > Jan 21, 6:52 AM: By court order, she’s was appointed Harrisburg School District’s receiver and given nearly all of the decision-making power typically held by the nine elected members of the district’s school board. For the three-year
- Plans to shut down public cyber charter schools will hurt my children | Opinion
- > Jan 20, 7:37 AM: To put it simply, his bill to end public cyber charter schools will be devastating to tens of thousands of children seeking a better education and a better future. It takes away our choice as parents to give our children
- Paul Muschick: Bethlehem superintendent knew he would take heat for talking about race and charter schools. Here’s why he did anyway.
- > Jan 17, 9:26 AM: Roy is among many superintendents, including Allentown’s Thomas Parker, who are calling for state officials to overhaul the charter school system because of the cost to school districts, which pay tuition for students who
- Editorial | Do homework on education opportunities
- > Jan 17, 9:13 AM: To combat the problem, many colleges are offering more educational opportunities to students. At St. Francis, new online graduate programs have helped to stem the loss, and Pitt-Johnstown has added a dozen new majors over
- CASD, charter schools spar in funding dispute
- > Jan 16, 7:52 AM: Interim Superintendent Dr. Richard Dunlap said during a school board meeting Tuesday evening that there are several variables affecting the district’s budget, but currently the two highest costs for the district are
- A Chesco school district is in ‘a fight for our lives’ as students flock to charters
- > Jan 16, 6:39 AM: The tension between traditional public schools and the charter schools they fund has spurred debate for years, in Pennsylvania and nationally. In one Chester County community, the situation has escalated to what school
- Cyber charters transformed my struggling kids. Why do Pa. politicians want to change my choice? | Opinion
I am a parent and a taxpayer. Unfortunately, my elected officials don’t always believe that makes me qualified to choose the best school for my children. They’re wrong.
Jan 16, 6:21 AM:
- Management companies don’t have the same rights as charter schools, appeals board rules
- > Jan 15, 7:46 AM: A powerful state board ruled on Tuesday that charter management companies, the private entities that primarily operate charter schools in southeastern Pennsylvania, don’t have the same rights as their charter school
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Pittsburgh Courier 100%
- The Mercury 88%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Philadelphia City Paper - Online 0%
- Echo Pilot - Online 0%