- Letter: Give parents real choice
- > Jul 9, 4:13 AM: If the local public school is a good fit for your family, that's wonderful. Keep sending your child there. But just as we can vote with our dollars for healthy food or good movies, educational funding should be a vote for
- Guerrero lays out his ideas to address achievement gap in Portland Public Schools
- Jun 21, 6:45 AM: School superintendent ready to launch his Equity 2.0 initiative but critics feel they have been left out of the planning.
- Online virtual schools behind traditional schools in performance and graduation rate
- > Jun 21, 6:17 AM: Online virtual schools have been offering students a way to learn from the convenience of their homes for years, but the numbers show they're still lagging far behind traditional schools in student performance and
- Improving internet for rural schools
- Apr 30, 5:35 AM: Governor Kate Brown signed a bill that would give funding to expand high speed internet to rural parts of Oregon. Nine districts are applying.
- Opinion: Career Technical Education creates pathways to high demand, high wage careers
- Apr 23, 7:16 AM: ODE reports 770 CTE programs of study available across the state, in career learning areas ranging from natural resources to arts, from communications to engineering.
- Editorial: Madrone Trail board makeup is cause for concern
- > Apr 11, 6:35 AM: Madrone Trail Public Charter School has much work to do to save its charter with the Medford School District. Test scores are far below state averages, and district officials have expressed concerns about finances as well.
- Editorial: Climbing school-reform’s Everest
- > Apr 2, 5:03 AM: One obvious way to boost graduation rates is to increase the number of career and technical education, or CTE, courses offered in Oregon high schools. The schools that already offer what used to be called vocational
- Springfield School District to take full control of A3 alternative school
- Mar 13, 6:10 AM: The Springfield School District will move to end the charter school designation for the Academy of Arts and Academics, an alternative high school also known as A3.
- Oregon won't allow 529 tax breaks for K-12 private school
- > Mar 9, 6:48 AM: Oregon parents won't get a state tax break on money they save to pay for K-12 private schooling, lawmakers have decided. That's despite a federal tax break approved in December as part of a congressional tax overhaul.
- Bill would extend extracurricular activities to charter, home-school students
- Mar 2, 7:09 AM: Charter and home-school students will be able to attend music programs and other extracurricular activities at regular schools in Oregon, following a move by the Legislature.
- Wahtonka school seeks charter
- > Feb 7, 7:17 AM: Wahtonka Community School is venturing into the uncharted waters of becoming a charter school. Principal Brian Goodwin is unabashed about why: He wants to give the alternative school the budget protection offered by
- Elementary Schools showcase programs to parents for school choice
- > Jan 8, 5:52 AM: January is School Choice Month in the Eugene 4J District, and families had a chance on Saturday to check out the options for their kids. When looking at the numerous elementary schools to choose from, each has its own
- Gearing up for college
- > Jan 3, 8:11 AM: In a major victory for charter school teens, they now have a fully equipped computer lab they use for looking at colleges. Reedsport Community Charter School Office Manager Sheri Wall looked around the lab, smiling.
- Dropout rates at Oregon's alternative high schools cry out for better oversight, audit says
- Dec 21, 7:16 AM: Oregon's nearly 50 alternative high schools and online schools urgently require heightened scrutiny and better state oversight to stanch their flood of dropouts, a state audit has found.
- Charter school helps kids in special circumstances with Resource Link
- > Dec 5, 6:16 AM: Though the program has moved locations throughout the district, it has settled in four classrooms in the second floor of the Harding Building. It is also one of the most unique charter schools around and is often used as
- Access Academy Parents Push Portland Public Schools For 'Home'
- > Oct 9, 6:43 AM: Oregon’s largest school district is weighing options for how to redraw boundaries for much of North and Northeast Portland. The changes Portland Public Schools could enact hinge at least in part on the fate of two
- KairosPDX Charter School Can Stay At Humboldt Building, PPS Says
- > Oct 5, 5:32 AM: The next version of Portland Public Schools’ boundary proposal for Northeast Portland will keep KairosPDX charter school, a program that caters to African-American students, in the historic heart of Portland’s black
- Medford School District questions ethics of Logos Public Charter School
- Oct 3, 6:39 AM: A series of emails and letters are outlining a new disagreement brewing between Medford School District and Logos Public Charter School.
- Emotions run high as Portland Public Schools plans to shuffle 5,000 students
- Sep 28, 6:44 AM: Oregon's largest school district plans to jostle 5,000 students —10 percent of its enrollment — as part of a long-awaited effort to fix education inequities.
- Mayor Urges Portland Schools To Let Charter School Stay Put
- Sep 22, 5:06 AM: Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler is the latest area leader to call on Oregon’s largest school district to let a small charter school stay where it is.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Corvallis Gazette-Times - Online 83%
- Register-Guard - Online 68%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Cottage Grove Sentinel - Online 17%
- Register-Guard 17%