- Charter proposed for Bend would combine home, classroom learning
- > Jul 15, 7:26 AM: The idea is all students would come in once a week for lessons grouped by grade, and at other times throughout the week for one-on-one tutoring and parent conferences with teachers. The rest of the week parents would teach
- Portland's Only Charter Middle School Set To Close
- > Jun 28, 7:29 AM: Portland’s only charter middle school is closing. But the nonprofit running the school appears to be positioning itself as a ready partner when Portland Public Schools opens two new North Portland middle schools in two
- One year in, Bend International looks to grow
- > Jun 16, 7:17 AM: Bend International School occupies a former Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles complex on O.B. Riley Road, with one building for the elementary school grades and one for middle school, connected by a concrete courtyard.
- Kairos PDX Charter School Wants Space in Humboldt Elementary
- > May 6, 6:18 AM: Kairos PDX Charter School in North Portland, which serves a majority African-American student population, needs more space. Parents there are asking Portland Public Schools to provide room in the former Humboldt Elementary
- Growing gap: School district vs. charter school
- Apr 18, 7:05 AM: The Ontario School District will no longer allow students from Four Rivers Community School to participate in middle school athletics, which has led to fallout between the charter school and the district.
- Cannon Beach Academy still fighting for a fall opening
Cannon Beach Academy representatives said they were “extremely disappointed” by the Seaside School District’s decision to withdraw approval for the charter school’s opening this fall.>
Apr 5, 6:25 AM:
- With grant money gone, schools end performance bonuses for teachers
- > Mar 25, 6:58 AM: Arriving at the end of a five-year experiment with federal backing to improve teacher effectiveness, local schools have done away with the most controversial aspect: paying teachers based on student test scores.
- Online students hold in person rally in Salem
- Feb 25, 8:03 AM: More than 8,500 Oregon students get their education online. It’s a growing trend with a student population that has doubled over the past 5 years.
- Charter school modifies schedule to compensate for higher enrollment
- Feb 24, 7:01 AM: Because of higher class sizes at the Reedsport Charter Community School, there's a chance the school board will need to hire a new teacher.
- Legislators consider education improvements
- Nov 18, 6:32 AM: In particular, the committee dealt with issues concerning culturally sensitive education, K-12 education savings accounts and standardized testing.
- Redmond charter gets OK on bonds for new building
- > Nov 16, 7:50 AM: With a year left on its lease, Redmond Proficiency Academy is looking at where to move its middle school program. The charter school, which just finished its sixth year, has about 800 students in grades sixth through 12.
- Oregon Coast Technology School will close
- > Nov 11, 8:38 AM: That's what the ORCO Tech school board decided unanimously Monday night after North Bend High administrators developed a plan to dissolve the school's charter and instead offer an honors diploma at NBHS.
- 55 kids in a class? Typical at some Oregon online schools
- Nov 2, 7:06 AM: Classes at Oregon's two huge online public schools, Oregon Connections Academy and Oregon Virtual Academy, routinely include 55 students or more, the state reported Thursday.
- Cannon Beach charter school a go
- Oct 23, 5:58 AM: The Seaside School District must wrestle with making reductions at its existing schools to help fund the Cannon Beach Academy.
- Virtual education trending toward flexibility
- > Oct 19, 6:04 AM: Within Oregon, ORCA’s numbers reflect a microcosm of that trend: The academy had 650 students its inaugural year, 2005, and grew incrementally the next several years, adding high school courses in 2008.
- New charter school could be in the works for Hillsboro
- > Sep 30, 6:39 AM: Officials from iLEAD Schools Development, a California-based nonprofit network of charter schools, said the network plans to submit a charter application to the Hillsboro School Board by Jan 31. If approved, iLEAD could
- Teachers don’t like Cannon Beach Academy plan
- Sep 24, 5:54 AM: Teachers with Seaside School District 10 took the opportunity to stand and speak against a proposed charter school in Cannon Beach during a public hearing this month.
- New start for online school
- > Sep 24, 5:31 AM: The Fays were among hundreds of families expected to visit Mill City midday Friday, Sept. 18, as part of the Oregon Connections Academy orientation day. The day provided an opportunity for academy students to meet their
- Lebanon students find better fit at online charter school
- Sep 14, 6:49 AM: Conner's isn't changing for middle school buildings because he is enrolled an online public charter school called Oregon Connections Academy.
- Some students go back to school while others turn to online learning
- Sep 8, 5:16 AM: As thousands of students head back to the classroom this week, an increasing number of students in Lane County will hit the books from home.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Corvallis Gazette-Times - Online 83%
- Register-Guard - Online 68%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Cottage Grove Sentinel - Online 17%
- Register-Guard 17%