- Charter students couldn't play sports on Medford teams under new rules
- > Oct 3, 5:32 AM: Local charter school students are being forced to choose between sports and an alternative education after the Medford School District redefined who could participate in sports at its traditional secondary schools.
- North Eugene losing out in school choice transfers
- > Sep 29, 4:49 AM: Data provided by the Eugene School District on Wednesday night left those in attendance with a lot of lingering questions and at least one major takeaway: North Eugene is the high school that’s affected most negatively by
- Montessori charter school approved for Bend
- Sep 28, 6:36 AM: The Bend-La Pine School Board on Tuesday approved letting a Montessori charter school open in Bend that it denied last fall.
- District expands AP offerings for youth
- Sep 26, 6:34 AM: Beginning this academic year, Reedsport Community Charter School youth can take Advanced Placement Calculus, earning college credit.
- Medford School District sports impacted for charter school students
- > Sep 9, 5:53 AM: School is in session, and so are fall sports. But many charter school students won't be on the field this year. Natalie Hurd is the communications specialist with the Medford School District. She said in previous years,
- Charter school opens in Portland Public Schools' Humboldt School in North Portland
- > Aug 25, 7:15 AM: For the first time a school in Portland Public Schools will be used to teach charter school students. Humboldt Elementary School in the Eliot Neighborhood closed in 2012 as part of a budget-cutting move by the district.
- Proposed charter school model will have 3 stages of development for students
- > Aug 24, 6:40 AM: Grammar, logic and rhetoric are the key disciplines that will be taught if a new charter school gets off the ground. An Aug. 8 informational session held by a group of Fruitland parents wanting to start a classical charter
- Opting out: More Medford charter school students are declining to take state tests
- > Aug 5, 7:43 AM: This year, the Medford School District saw an increase in the number of charter school students opting out of the state’s standardized math and English language arts assessments after new legislation made the tests
- Bend-La Pine turns down charter school for now
- Aug 3, 7:29 AM: The Bend-La Pine School Board has turned down a proposal to open a charter school targeted at home-schoolers, saying it needs more information before endorsing the plan.
- Charter proposed for Bend would combine home, classroom learning
- > Jul 15, 7:26 AM: The idea is all students would come in once a week for lessons grouped by grade, and at other times throughout the week for one-on-one tutoring and parent conferences with teachers. The rest of the week parents would teach
- Portland's Only Charter Middle School Set To Close
- > Jun 28, 7:29 AM: Portland’s only charter middle school is closing. But the nonprofit running the school appears to be positioning itself as a ready partner when Portland Public Schools opens two new North Portland middle schools in two
- One year in, Bend International looks to grow
- > Jun 16, 7:17 AM: Bend International School occupies a former Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles complex on O.B. Riley Road, with one building for the elementary school grades and one for middle school, connected by a concrete courtyard.
- Kairos PDX Charter School Wants Space in Humboldt Elementary
- > May 6, 6:18 AM: Kairos PDX Charter School in North Portland, which serves a majority African-American student population, needs more space. Parents there are asking Portland Public Schools to provide room in the former Humboldt Elementary
- Growing gap: School district vs. charter school
- Apr 18, 7:05 AM: The Ontario School District will no longer allow students from Four Rivers Community School to participate in middle school athletics, which has led to fallout between the charter school and the district.
- Cannon Beach Academy still fighting for a fall opening
Cannon Beach Academy representatives said they were “extremely disappointed” by the Seaside School District’s decision to withdraw approval for the charter school’s opening this fall.>
Apr 5, 6:25 AM:
- With grant money gone, schools end performance bonuses for teachers
- > Mar 25, 6:58 AM: Arriving at the end of a five-year experiment with federal backing to improve teacher effectiveness, local schools have done away with the most controversial aspect: paying teachers based on student test scores.
- Online students hold in person rally in Salem
- Feb 25, 8:03 AM: More than 8,500 Oregon students get their education online. It’s a growing trend with a student population that has doubled over the past 5 years.
- Charter school modifies schedule to compensate for higher enrollment
- Feb 24, 7:01 AM: Because of higher class sizes at the Reedsport Charter Community School, there's a chance the school board will need to hire a new teacher.
- Legislators consider education improvements
- Nov 18, 6:32 AM: In particular, the committee dealt with issues concerning culturally sensitive education, K-12 education savings accounts and standardized testing.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Corvallis Gazette-Times - Online 83%
- Register-Guard - Online 68%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Cottage Grove Sentinel - Online 17%
- Register-Guard 17%