- Converting to charter school boosts Alsea enrollment
- > Aug 31, 5:26 AM: Marc Thielman, Alsea’s superintendent and principal, said the school has about 150 students this year — about 20 more than forecast — thanks to converting to a charter school earlier this year. That change allows the
- Bend-La Pine Schools to open second charter school
- Aug 25, 7:01 AM: When Desert Sky opens next month, it will have 101 students. The school has set its cap at 108 students — it is looking to accept a few more, plus it will offer a waiting list.
- Cannon Beach Academy is a go
- > Aug 17, 5:48 AM: Cannon Beach will have an elementary school again. It’s a project that supporters of the charter school have been working toward for almost four years after the old elementary school was closed for tsunami safety reasons
- Wallowa schools examine charter options
- > Aug 16, 5:37 AM: Wallowa School District is investigating the value of converting from a public school to a charter school. A public meeting with Steve Kelly, an Oregon School Board Association moderator, and the Wallowa School Board was
- Charter school moves ahead with its sport programs
- > Aug 14, 5:06 AM: Although a senate bill that passed the Oregon Legislature this past session would have allowed students from a local charter school to not be barred access to Ontario School District extracurricular activities, such as
- Kings Valley Charter School requests public input on possible district boundary change
- > Jul 26, 6:34 AM: Kings Valley Charter School is holding a meeting to gather public input while it considers a change of the district boundary to become part of the Falls City School District. vThe charter school is currently sponsored by
- Supreme Court dismisses suit between Oregon Connections Academy, Scio schools
- > Jul 10, 6:28 AM: According to Academy officials, their plans to expand and enhance the online learning program nearly two years ago could not be fulfilled by the Scio School District. The Academy signed a new charter in 2015 with Santiam
- Molalla school board considers intent to terminate RPA charter
- > Jun 28, 7:15 AM: A Molalla River School District memo outlines 16 alleged 'deficiencies in practice and performance' at Renaissance Public Academy, a district charter school. The school board addressed the matter during a June 29 special
- Virtual school brings public education to students across Oregon
- > Jun 13, 6:54 AM: Some families are opting for another way of schooling their kids. The Oregon Connections Academy is a virtual public school. It brings public education to students in grades k-12 across Oregon using virtual technology.
- State aims to lessen brunt of charter high school
- > May 30, 5:41 AM: The state has placed a formal cap on the number of students entering the high school program at a local charter school. There’s even a suggestion for the school to temporarily stop recruiting students from Ontario School
- Another speed bump for Cannon Beach Academy
- May 11, 5:06 AM: Days after securing enough students to open the Cannon Beach Academy, the board of directors will have to find a new location before opening this fall.
- Alsea converting to charter school
- > May 5, 6:17 AM: The Alsea School Board is on the verge of finalizing plans to convert the district’s lone school into a charter school, a change that will allow the district to advertise the school and run buses into other districts.
- Bill passed by Oregon Senate would allow charter students to play public school sports
- > Apr 28, 6:26 AM: The bill passed Wednesday, and now moves to the house of representatives. If passed, it would require school districts to allow public charter school students to participate in extracurriculars. Logos director Joe
- Howard Street Charter gets a cut to district funding
- > Apr 20, 6:54 AM: Nancy MacMorris-Adix, the chairperson of the school board, said the funding level was an equity issue. MacMorris-Adix and other board members expressed their support for the charter and said the decrease in funding was not
- Paisley Public Charter School looks to increase enrollment numbers
- > Apr 19, 6:33 AM: Paisley Public Charter School in Lake County hopes to increase the number of incoming freshmen next year to maintain its longstanding academic and sports programs, Paisley Guidance Counselor Michael Jones said.
- Charter school aims to open doors with 257 students
- Apr 10, 4:47 AM: Plans to open a new charter school to serve students in Fruitland, Payette, Weiser, New Plymouth and Parma have been bumped back a year, according to one of the school’s founding board members.
- Oregon's Online Schools Offer Flexibility, But Graduation Rates Lag Behind
- > Apr 4, 4:50 AM: Backers of school choice have a new ally in the U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos. At her confirmation hearing before a Senate committee earlier this year, DeVos presented herself as a friend of parents seeking
- A decade of innovating
- > Mar 22, 6:48 AM: The school started with 60 students in ninth- and 10th-grades. Now it averages about 200 students per year in ninth through 12th grades, with the previous school year marking the first time they started with a waiting
- More Charter Schools Expected in Oregon
- > Mar 15, 6:26 AM: President Donald Trump has vowed to increase school choice around the country and his Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, is a champion of charter schools. Oregon already has 120 charter schools with more than
- Advocates push for more school spending
- Mar 14, 5:51 AM: Advocates for boosting education funding took center stage at the Capitol on Monday, arguing through polling and voting results that Oregonians want more money spent on schools.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Corvallis Gazette-Times - Online 83%
- Register-Guard - Online 68%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Cottage Grove Sentinel - Online 17%
- Register-Guard 17%