- Teachers union will offer its own funding plan before strike deadline
- > Mar 22, 6:19 AM: As state lawmakers continue to debate how to fund a teacher pay raise, let alone hundreds of millions in new school, health care and state agency funding, the state's largest teachers union is prepared to unveil its own
- Their Pay Has Stood Still. Now Oklahoma Teachers Could Be the Next to Walk.
- > Mar 20, 7:14 AM: In Arizona, teachers clad in red, the color of the teacher protest movement, have conducted a series of #RedforEd demonstrations demanding higher pay. In Kentucky, teachers have organized rallies to protest proposed cuts
- Report: Bullying ranks high for choosing virtual schooling in Oklahoma
- Mar 15, 6:17 AM: A new survey report of Oklahoma families with students enrolled in virtual charter schools reveals bullying as the top motivator for their choice.
- TPS board approves new KIPP high school
- > Mar 6, 6:42 AM: The charter school expansion will bring another education option to north Tulsa. At a prior school board meeting, some north Tulsa residents expressed concern about the new charter program, which will have close 500
- Councilman wants city to take over OKC schools
- Feb 26, 6:40 AM: Oklahoma City Public Schools could start down the path to improvement by converting to a charter district sponsored by the city of Oklahoma City, a city councilman says.
- Oklahoma City councilman wants school district converted to charter system
- > Feb 23, 8:20 AM: The Oklahoma City school district is preparing to search for its 12th superintendent since the year 2000. As the district faces some challenging days ahead, one Oklahoma City councilman has introduced an idea to turn the
- KIPP Tulsa hopes to expand to high school next school year
- Feb 5, 7:39 AM: North Tulsa, an area that is attracting more charter schools, could soon see another education option: KIPP Tulsa wants to expand to high school.
- School choice advocates look for another year of expansion
- > Feb 5, 5:55 AM: Unable to gain large-scale advances in the Oklahoma Legislature over the past few years, school choice advocates have instead focused on small gains that have slowly expanded the state’s voucher program to specific student
- Scholarship Fund Tells Private Schools to Revise Discrimination Policies
- Feb 1, 6:47 AM: At least 60 private schools receiving tax-credit scholarships have been given three months to comply with a state law that prohibits discriminating against applicants based on disability.
- Why are so many students moving to the Kiefer school district, making the enrollment double in 10 years?
- > Jan 30, 7:36 AM: Indeed, no analysis of public school enrollment trends in the past decade would be complete without factoring in the rise of virtual charter schools. Four are currently operating in Oklahoma, but statewide data for their
- The highest-paid public school teacher in Oklahoma makes $106,324. Her charter school is hiring.
- > Jan 19, 6:52 AM: The state’s largest virtual charter school is now using the draw of pay ranging from $64,000 on average up to more than $106,000 for its highest earners to lure applicants to keep pace with its staggering student
- EPIC charter school now recruiting teachers by boasting pay as high as $106,000
- > Jan 17, 7:04 AM: The state’s largest virtual charter school is now using the draw of pay ranging from $64,000 on average up to more than $106,000 for its highest earners to lure applicants to keep pace with its staggering student
- Lawmaker wants local control in Oklahoma school choice effort
- > Jan 15, 6:29 AM: Two ideologies traditionally championed by the state’s conservative political class — local control and the expansion of school choice — clashed last year with the decision of the state Board of Education to overrule two
- Bullying most common reason students choose virtual schools
- Jan 10, 7:27 AM: Forty-one percent of students who attend a virtual charter school in Oklahoma left their previous school because they were victims of bullying.
- State Chamber’s ‘OK2030’ strategic plan recommends school choice
- Jan 9, 7:16 AM: The proposed reforms include expanded open transfer policies for public schools, establishment of a public charter school authorizer and creation of Education Savings Accounts.
- TPS renews agreements with two north Tulsa charter schools
- Jan 5, 7:19 AM: The question of Tulsa Public Schools’ continued sponsorship of two north Tulsa charter schools that serve more than 850 students was resolved Thursday, at least for four more years.
- Virtual charter school growth continues to net most of Oklahoma's midyear state funding allocation
- > Jan 4, 7:17 AM: Eleven charter schools, including all four of the state’s virtual school choices, were among the top 20 in gaining state aid in annual, midyear adjustments just made by the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- John Rex parents seek ouster of Humphreys
- Dec 29, 7:59 AM: Former Oklahoma City mayor Kirk Humphreys is facing pressure to resign from the board of the downtown charter school he helped create but has said he has no plans to do so.
- Largest Virtual School’s Growth Outpaces Rest of State’s Schools Combined
- Dec 20, 7:25 AM: The state’s largest virtual charter school reported staggering growth for 2017-18, adding more than 4,000 students to its roster, according to the latest enrollment data.
- Legislation looks for local control concerning charter schools
- > Dec 15, 7:21 AM: State Sen. Ron Sharp, R-Shawnee, said he’s filed legislation to reverse a 2015 law allowing Oklahoma State Board of Education to overrule decisions made by locally elected school boards when it is time to approve creation
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Tulsa Today 83%
- NewsOK - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Shawnee News-Star - Online, The 0%
- NewsOn6.com 17%