- Digital academy ‘exceeds standards’
- Oct 9, 6:19 AM: Findlay Digital Academy is one of just eight dropout recovery schools in Ohio to earn an “exceeds standards” rating on 2016-2017 report cards issued by the state Department of Education.
- Who’s on the hook if ECOT closes before repaying taxpayer money?
- Oct 9, 5:41 AM: If ECOT closes before repaying all money owed to the state, the online charter school would be turned over to the attorney general’s office for collection, state officials say.
- Giant online charter school says it may close within months
- > Oct 6, 6:59 AM: One of the nation’s largest online charter schools says it will close within four months, in the middle of the school year, if Ohio’s efforts to recoup $60 million or more in disputed funding aren’t halted.
- Teachers Union Urges Scrutiny Of ECOT Status Change
- > Oct 4, 6:25 AM: The state’s largest teachers union is urging tough scrutiny on a change of status for the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow. The union says it’s up to the education department to make sure the state isn’t duped by the
- State control could be coming for East Cleveland, Warrensville Heights schools
- Oct 4, 5:38 AM: Three Ohio school districts, including East Cleveland and Warrensville Heights, are in danger of having the state step in and take control if test scores do not improve this year.
- Ohio online charter school fight becomes political football
- > Oct 2, 6:14 AM: Ohio’s multimillion-dollar legal dispute with one of the nation’s largest online charter schools is seeping into the state’s top political races as the matter moves toward a showdown in court and fuels broader discussions
- ECOT overbilled the state again for too many students, state reports, this time by $19 million
- Sep 29, 5:32 AM: ECOT, Ohio's largest charter school, has been fighting in court with the state for more than a year over how many students it has and how many it can bill the state to educate.
- Who paid for ECOT political ads? Yost wants to know
- Sep 28, 7:11 AM: The state auditor’s probe to determine whether taxpayers funded ECOT attack ads against the Ohio Department of Education is heating up.
- New Ohio justices change court’s direction on charter-school tax issue
- > Sep 27, 6:33 AM: Fourteen months ago, the Ohio Supreme Court upheld a state determination that an Illinois company must pay property tax on facilities it leases to charter schools. But Tuesday, the court ruled 5-2 that the state does not
- ECOT has become a "dropout" school - at least for now
- > Sep 27, 5:55 AM: The Ohio Department of Education gave the the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow (ECOT) initial approval for the switch Monday, accepting the school and sponsor's claim that the majority of its students are in need of a
- Akron students will have more than 50 pathways to explore during high school education
- Sep 26, 4:58 AM: From cosmetology and dance to fire science and animal studies, Akron Public School students are in store for a wide array of options to help them focus their education.
- State board won’t check if all ECOT claims are accurate
- > Sep 25, 5:17 AM: After overpaying ECOT more than $60 million in a single school year because the school submitted attendance claims it couldn’t prove, the state Department of Education now will trust the besieged e-school and its sponsor
- ECOT bid for easier grades raises conflict of interest concerns over sponsor's role
- Sep 22, 5:35 AM: An apparent conflict of interest in Ohio's charter school system is about to become a major factor in the ECOT online school's bid to survive by becoming a dropout prevention and recovery school.
- See how closely Ohio school report card grades trend with district income
- Sep 19, 6:25 AM: The wealthier a school district, the better the district tends to do on the annual school report cards released by the Ohio Department of Education, and this year is no different.
- Charters again higher than Dayton schools on tests but lower in growth
- > Sep 18, 5:42 AM: Local charter schools for the second straight year scored higher than Dayton Public Schools in achievement – and widened that gap — but charters were lower in year-over-year progress, according to state report card data
- Dem guv candidate digs into charter-school issue
- > Sep 18, 5:02 AM: Dayton Mayor and Ohio Democratic governor candidate Nan Whaley Monday in Athens called out Ohio’s ongoing charter-school scandals as “crony capitalism” tied to campaign financing for Ohio elected officials who have failed
- Ohio Issues School Report Cards, And It's Bad News For Charter Schools
- > Sep 15, 6:21 AM: Ohio’s school report cards are out, and the state says its 1.7 million school kids are doing better academically across all subjects, and across different economic and racial groups. But there are mixed grades for Ohio’s
- Ohio Supreme Court accepts only one point in ECOT appeal
- Sep 15, 6:08 AM: The Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow and its supporters had three matters pending before the Ohio Supreme Court in its battle against the state over repaying $60 million for unverified student enrollment.
- Will Say Yes to Education help pay your child's college tuition? Charter school students' fate still to be decided
- > Sep 14, 5:14 AM: Cleveland will now have to make its own decision - a potentially controversial one for a school district that has built its improvement plan around bridging the often-bitter divide between districts and charters.
- Ohio Supreme Court accepts ECOT appeal - but on only one point
- Sep 14, 4:58 AM: The Ohio Supreme Court decided to hear ECOT’s appeal of an appeals court decision upholding an Ohio Department of Education order to repay the state $60 million for unverified student enrollment.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- wcpo.com 100%
- Ashland Times-Gazette - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Western Star - Online 0%
- WDTN-TV - Online 17%