- Local charter school grades low, but most test scores rise
- Sep 17, 6:54 AM: Dayton-area charter schools posted mainly low grades on the state report card last week, but for the second year in a row, a narrow majority of them increased their test scores from the previous year.
- Columbus City and 16 charter schools get F’s on report cards; three area districts get A’s
- > Sep 14, 5:06 AM: Columbus City schools is one of 14 school districts, out of a total of 608 districts statewide, to get an overall F. Sixteen of the 59 charter schools in Franklin County also received an F for the 2017-18 school year being
- Matt Norton: ECOT does not reflect all online charter schools
- > Sep 13, 6:00 AM: But others are using ECOT’s misconduct to try and taint the reputations of all online schools and charter schools. That is not fair to the educators at these schools who are abiding by the law and serving the needs of
- Cordray would close ‘corrupt’ charters, better fund public K-12
- > Sep 13, 4:36 AM: For-profit charter schools would be abolished and all schools would be held to the same state standards under a K-12 education reform plan unveiled Wednesday by Richard Cordray, the Democratic candidate for Ohio
- Funding tweaks, online school changes part of DeWine education plan
- > Sep 10, 6:19 AM: Mike DeWine on Friday discussed his 17-point education plan as part of his campaign for governor, focusing on issues of less testing, more career tech options, better technology and improved college affordability.
- Editorial: Charter schools deserve fair rules for bus rides
- > Sep 6, 5:42 AM: Since the advent of charter schools two decades ago, getting the children from home to school has been a challenge. The latest public eruption of conflict between Columbus City Schools and local charter schools suggests
- Which side is right in political battle over ECOT blame?
- > Sep 4, 7:20 AM: Ohio Democrats have unleashed relentless attacks on Republican officeholders for the handling of ECOT, where a big GOP donor got rich, a large, poorly performing online school closed mid-year and taxpayers were left at
- Teachers at Parma's Summit Academy Community School form union, negotiate new contract
- > Aug 30, 7:06 AM: Currently 26 teachers at the Summit Academy Community School in Parma have formed a union and are negotiating their first contract to improve teaching and learning at the special education-focused Stumph Road building.
- Ohio probes charter school operators accused of defrauding parents, students and taxpayers in Florida
- Aug 27, 6:33 AM: Ohio’s top public accountant is actively investigating the case of two businessmen accused of using charter schools to defraud Florida taxpayers, students and schools — and maybe here, too.
- ‘Opportunity gap’ creates achievement gap for poor, black children in Dayton schools
- > Aug 27, 6:26 AM: Having integrated classrooms has long been seen as a way to bridge the achievement gap between black and white students, but Dayton has had a troubled history of school integration involving the courts, forced busing and
- Ohio high court won’t hear appeal from dismantled e-school
- > Aug 16, 7:18 AM: The Ohio Supreme Court dealt a big blow to the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow with a ruling last week and now it has decided it won’t hear another appeal that had been filed by the same dismantled online charter school.
- Editorial: Ohio must finally fix online charter schools
- Aug 13, 6:13 AM: Mercifully, an Ohio Supreme Court ruling on Wednesday means the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow’s persistent demand to be paid money for nothing is, along with the school itself, essentially dead.
- Ohio Supreme Court rules 4-2 against ECOT appeal; charter school owes state millions
- > Aug 9, 5:34 AM: In a likely final death blow for what was the state’s largest charter school, the Ohio Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld lower court rulings and determined the state acted lawfully when it ordered ECOT to repay millions
- School’s out for White Hat: Pioneering for-profit company exits Ohio charter scene
The for-profit operator founded in 2000 by Akron industrialist David Brennan has quietly sold off the last of its contracts to run charter schools. Brennan and his company formed a primordial force that ushered these >
Aug 8, 4:43 AM:
- 6 factors that contribute to the black achievement gap at Dayton schools
- > Aug 7, 6:38 AM: Black students in Dayton Public Schools – especially black boys – lag behind other students in kindergarten readiness, reading and math. Only 26 percent of black third-grade boys are found by state tests to be reading
- LeBron James' new Akron school is a promise worth celebrating
- Jul 31, 7:19 AM: But what's taken place in Akron the last couple months, a time in which James' I Promise School was being readied for its first two grades, is the type of accomplishment that merits discussion.
- Ohio taxpayers paid $7.7 million to renovate charter-school building valued at $2.4 million
- > Jul 30, 5:39 AM: State Auditor Dave Yost is investigating Great Western’s deal along with similar arrangements at other Ohio charter schools. He has questions about rent payments being excessive and contracts benefiting a company connected
- AEP, state take steps to prepare high-school students for future in workforce
- Jul 25, 6:36 AM: American Electric Power has joined with the state of Ohio to create a college- and career-readiness program for high schoolers.
- Open Enrollment Can Create Financial, Racial Problems For Schools
- > Jul 24, 4:58 AM: More than three quarters of the over 600 public school districts in Ohio have open enrollment policies, including Columbus City Schools. That means they accept and educate students who live outside of their district
- Libraries, LinkedIn agreement to offer online courses free
- Jul 23, 7:14 AM: Ohio residents with valid library cards will have access to thousands of online courses they can take for free under an expansion of the state’s online library learning program.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- wcpo.com 100%
- Ashland Times-Gazette - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Western Star - Online 0%
- WDTN-TV - Online 17%