- Should you send your child to a charter school? Here are the facts.
- > Oct 10, 6:34 AM: For years, charters were on the periphery of public education. But since 2011, when the state lifted the 100-school limit for charters, the sector has boomed. Enrollment has more than doubled and in 2016-17, the state
- More bonuses for teachers?
- Oct 10, 5:33 AM: The State Board of Education is mulling a new plan to award monetary bonuses to certain teachers in elementary and middle schools.
- A rich donor’s money backed NC’s charter takeover law, and his school network expands
- > Oct 10, 5:07 AM: A school network founded by a wealthy Oregon resident is expanding quickly in North Carolina. John Bryan founded the charter network TeamCFA, which has 13 schools in North Carolina – more than in any other state. Arizona
- DPS hopes restart brings academic success to 14 low-performing schools
- Oct 9, 6:45 AM: Local reviews of the 14 low-performing DPS schools getting “charter-like” flexibility from the state will begin next week and run through December.
- Opposition to school takeover grows
- > Oct 9, 5:02 AM: Williford Elementary is on the short list of schools qualifying for the new Innovative School District, meaning the school could come under direct control of the state and be managed by a charter management organization of
- Pender schools lose 271 to new charter school
- > Oct 6, 5:59 AM: Overall, Pender schools gained four students this year for a total of 9,267 across the district, according to enrollment numbers made available this week. That may be a tiny gain, but it’s significant given that such a
- NC narrows list of schools under consideration for state takeover
- > Oct 5, 5:16 AM: Two low-performing schools, including one in Durham, are no longer under consideration for being taken over by the state and handed to a charter school operator in 2018 in an attempt to raise student achievement.
- School board, parents fight to 'Defend Durham Schools' amid proposed charter takeover
- Oct 4, 5:17 AM: The Durham County Board of Education said Tuesday it’s prepared to fight if the state tries to take control of any of its schools amid talks of a charter school takeover.
- Durham Parents Feel 'Taken Over' By School Takeover Process
- Oct 3, 5:18 AM: Parents at a Durham school facing possible takeover are criticizing state officials' handling of the process. In a video posted to YouTube, they called state efforts to engage parents inauthentic.
- 'Defend Durham Schools' meeting planned Tuesday to discuss potential charter takeover
- > Oct 2, 5:36 AM: Parents, teachers and local elected officials plan to gather Tuesday evening for a meeting to "Defend Durham Schools." They plan to discuss ways to prevent the state from possibly taking one of Durham's lowest-performing
- Southern Meck draws surge of charter school plans, including a new Ballantyne high
- > Sep 29, 5:29 AM: Ridenhour’s Steele Creek Prep Academy, which would be run by the Charter Schools USA chain, is one of 29 applications to open new North Carolina charter schools in 2019. Seven are in Mecklenburg County, as many as in Wake
- Wilmington could get an arts charter school
- > Sep 28, 6:39 AM: An arts-focused public charter school has applied to open in Wilmington in 2019. Wilmington School of the Arts would start as a K-2 school with projected enrollment of 300, adding another grade level and 100 new students
- NC receives 29 applications for new charter schools
- Sep 28, 6:09 AM: Twenty-nine nonprofit boards have submitted applications to open charter schools in August 2019, the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction announced Wednesday.
- NC schools find too much student success bars principals from big new bonuses
- > Sep 28, 5:21 AM: Students at Garinger High made strong gains on last year’s state exams, raising the school’s grade from a D to a C. That combination of struggling students and strong growth would have qualified Principal Kelly Gwaltney
- This NC school system had a clear message to the state: back off
- > Sep 27, 5:26 AM: Big changes are on the way for some low-performing schools across North Carolina, but they won’t happen in Johnston County. That’s welcome news for parents, teachers and administrators at Selma Middle School, which was
- Two Durham schools are targets of a possible state takeover. What if DPS says no?
- Sep 26, 6:58 AM: Under state law, low-performing schools chosen for the state’s new Innovative School District must be handed to a charter school operator or close.
- State Board of Ed Chair: Potential charter takeover schools had “plenty of time” to make improvements
- > Sep 26, 5:08 AM: As public school officials narrow down their list of schools eligible for the first year of a controversial charter takeover program, the chair of North Carolina’s top school board says the low-performing schools being
- Innovation zone aims to transform three lcoal schools
- > Sep 26, 5:04 AM: When students at Coker-Wimberly Elementary School, Phillips Middle School and North Edgecombe High School returned to campus this year, they were given a new charge: to become the architects of their own lives.
- Schools considered for alternate control whittled to 6
- > Sep 25, 5:29 AM: An arm of the state public school system announced Friday an original list of 48 qualifying schools has been whittled down based on review of other data. The schools that remain come from the Durham, Northampton and
- NC public school teachers are absent more than charter school teachers, study finds
- > Sep 21, 5:35 AM: More than a third of teachers in North Carolina’s traditional public schools are chronically absent – double the rate of their peers in the state’s charter schools, according to a new national study released Wednesday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Advance 100%
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- Yadkin Ripple - Online 0%