- New Asheville charter school focuses on narrowing achievement gap for minority students
- > Aug 17, 4:36 PM: PEAK Academy Charter School opened its doors Monday to 99 new students. The classrooms filled with first-, second- and third-graders whose parents chose to try a new approach. PEAK is focused on helping bridge the
- Charter school in Charlotte delays start of class due to COVID-19
- Aug 16, 3:43 PM: Sugar Creek Charter School in Charlotte announced Friday that it would delay the start of class due to COVID-19.
- ‘Do your part’: After year of remote learning, Wilmington parents more engaged in schools
- > Aug 16, 3:35 PM: As students around the country navigated online learning throughout the coronavirus pandemic, parents got a front-row seat to their education. A survey from National Parents Union showed that because of this, nearly two
- School choice scholarships help retired soldier’s autistic daughter to thrive
- > Aug 13, 1:45 PM: Without North Carolina’s school-choice scholarships for students with special needs, retired soldier James Martin would have moved his family to another state. That’s how important these scholarships have been to his
- Area charter, private schools vary in requiring masks for upcoming school year
- > Aug 12, 11:10 AM: With COVID-19 cases rising in the county, local schools outside of the public Watauga County School system — such as Two Rivers Community School, Grace Academy and Mountain Pathways — are taking varied COVID-19 precautions
- Families opting for virtual instruction as COVID-19 case counts rise
- Aug 12, 10:56 AM: As COVID-19 case counts continue to rise, parents in Rock Hill still have the option to enroll their children in Rock Hill School’s virtual academy just days before the first day of school.
- Perspective | Merit pay boosts student success
- > Aug 11, 4:52 PM: In my experience, for example, most non-educators believe teacher pay ought to vary according to demonstrable performance in the classroom. Most public-school teachers I know dislike this idea. Recent polling confirms the
- Appeals court gives mixed ruling on N.C. charter school’s rule requiring girls to wear skirts
- Aug 10, 4:32 PM: A federal appeals court on Monday tossed out a lower-court ruling that banned a North Carolina charter school from requiring girls to wear skirts.
- 60K students left North Carolina public schools in 2020: What’s driving the drop?
- > Aug 10, 4:29 PM: Around 68,000 fewer students were enrolled in traditional public schools during the 2019-2020 school year, according to the latest average daily membership data from the North Carolina Department of Public Education.
- 55 COVID cases tied to NC charter school with no mask mandate, quarantine
- Aug 9, 3:05 PM: The Brunswick County Heath Department ordered a local charter school to follow COVID-19 quarantine and health requirements after 55 COVID-19 cases were tied to the school.
- North Carolina charter school requiring masks after at least 14 COVID-19 cases during first week
- Aug 3, 10:57 AM: More than 150 students and staff at a North Carolina charter school are quarantining after a COVID-19 outbreak, NBC affiliate WCNC reports.
- Edgecombe charter school set to begin fall classes
- Aug 2, 10:21 AM: North East Carolina Prep School will begin classes next Wednesday and upwards of 1,200 students are expected, according to school marketing specialist Jennifer Watson.
- ‘Interest is coming from lots of places’ | Private and charter schools see a rise in enrollment
- Jul 30, 9:10 AM: Several Greensboro private and charter schools said because of the pandemic education has been top of mind for many parents and interest in other avenues besides public school is growing.
- N.C. school districts have spent just 13% of federal COVID-19 relief, analysis finds
- Jul 29, 3:30 PM: Public school districts in North Carolina have received about $5.3 billion in COVID-related relief from the federal government. But, on average, school leaders have spent just 13% of that money.
- Movement Foundation to invest $10M-plus to add charter school in southwest Charlotte
- > Jul 29, 3:21 PM: The Movement Foundation, the nonprofit arm of Movement Mortgage, has purchased property to build another charter school in Charlotte. Movement School Southwest will open to pre-K, kindergarten and first-grade students
- Asheville PEAK Academy prepares for opening, looks to close achievement gap
- > Jul 26, 11:28 AM: The city’s newest charter school has been in the works for years, but officially received its recommendation from the North Carolina Charter School Advisory Board to open for the 2021-22 school year in December.
- Knowledge is power: Freedom School focuses on literacy and cultural enrichment
- > Jul 22, 11:08 AM: The Communities In Schools Freedom School is a summer school but not just any summer school. It motivates kids to read while focusing on cultural enrichment and feeling good about learning. This is just its second year
- Advocates mark 25th anniversary of N.C. charter schools law
- > Jun 23, 5:21 AM: Twenty-five years ago this week the Tar Heel State legalized the creation of public charter schools. School choice advocates came together in Raleigh on Tuesday, June 22, to celebrate the milestone and highlight the impact
- Education advocates call on Legislature to prioritize students
- Jun 14, 12:57 PM: Representatives of the N.C. Association of Educators, along with other education advocates, said Saturday that lawmakers should direct a state budget surplus toward the needs of public schools.
- NC charter school closes after 'financial irregularities' found
- Jun 9, 6:42 AM: A North Carolina charter school has closed, just days after suddenly canceling its summer program and as the State Bureau of Investigations is looking into its finances.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
- Daily Advance 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- BizJournals.com 0%