- Pinnacle unveils new charter school
- Aug 14, 6:12 AM: The same students, parents and faculty who gathered last year to break ground on Pinnacle Classical Academy, ushered in a new era for the charter school Friday.
- Charter school interest sought
- > Aug 14, 5:40 AM: Robeson County currently has two charter schools, Southeast Academy and the CIS Academy. Charter schools enjoy public funding but have greater autonomy in how they are operated. The state used to have a cap of 100 charter
- Ethics questions at two Charlotte-area sites highlight charter school tensions
- Aug 7, 6:57 AM: This week two separate efforts to save struggling Mecklenburg County charter schools ran into ethical questions about the management companies trying to fix their problems.
- Researchers: Vouchers Not Enough For Some To Attend Private Schools
- Aug 7, 6:36 AM: Researchers conducted focus groups and surveys with both groups and recently released one evaluation based on parents' perspectives and another based on input from private school administrators.
- Can this controversial plan stop Charlotte’s wave of charter school closings?
- > Aug 4, 5:36 AM: A handful of North Carolina’s top charter school advocates, including former state Rep. Rob Bryan of Charlotte, have put together a company they say can save Aristotle Prep, a Charlotte charter school with academic and
- Can consultant under ethics investigation save troubled Charlotte-area charter school?
- Aug 3, 7:35 AM: A year after narrowly averting a forced closing, Thunderbird Prep charter school has turned to a consultant who is under ethics investigation in South Carolina for help making a fresh start.
- Vouchers allow low-income families to attend private schools, but cost is still a challenge
- > Aug 3, 7:04 AM: North Carolina families using taxpayer money to attend private schools are enjoying the educational opportunity but struggle to cover all the new financial costs, according to new studies by N.C. State University.
- First-day attendance a must: Demand is high for Wilson’s charter schools
- Aug 2, 7:15 AM: It’s not just a case of be there or be square. It’s a potential loss of enrollment for students late or absent on the first day at area charter schools.
- More options for public education in Bladen County
- > Aug 2, 5:32 AM: The start of August meant the start of school for students attending Bladen County's newest school. Emereau Bladen opened its doors to nearly 300 students Tuesday morning. Emereau joins the Paul R. Brown Leadership Academy
- Waynesville charter school embarks on year three
- > Jul 27, 6:02 AM: Shining Rock Classical Academy administrators have their hands full preparing for the school’s third year, expanding to eighth grade, accommodating up to 100 more students, improving student performance and searching for
- Details emerging on new state Innovative School District
- > Jul 27, 5:34 AM: State officials announced plans earlier this month for how they will implement a 2016 law that authorizes state education leaders to remove a handful of yet-to-be-selected low-scoring schools from the control of local
- State Approves Third Charter School for Moore
The five-member founding board for the charter school includes former Pinecrest The N.C. State Board of Education has approved the application for what could become Moore County’s third charter school next year.>
Jul 26, 6:39 AM:
- Popular North End charter school at "crossroads" after departure of head of school
Ridnouer founded VERITAS with a clear vision focused on physical activity and healthy eating in addition to academics. About 145 students were enrolled near the end of the last school year in grades K-4, according to >
Jul 24, 7:49 AM:
- Phoenix Academy in High Point set to expand
- > Jul 24, 6:21 AM: Phoenix Academy, a public charter school in High Point, plans to add 22 classrooms to its three campuses. The school announced plans this week to expand its primary, elementary and middle school campuses within the next
- Enrollment rises at NC charter, private, home schools; traditional public schools see decline
- Jul 24, 5:48 AM: Enrollment in charter, private and home schools in North Carolina is on the rise. Meanwhile, traditional public schools' numbers have declined, according to data posted by the state.
- Fewer kids in NC are attending traditional public schools. What does that mean?
- > Jul 21, 5:49 AM: Supporters of school choice say families are benefiting from expanded options provided by state lawmakers, including through the use of vouchers for private schools. But some critics say it’s part of a push to privatize
- Mebane STEAM Academy charter school in works
- > Jul 20, 7:29 AM: The year-round charter school, which would span from pre-K through fifth grade and add sixth, seventh and eighth grades as the children advanced, is slated to have a STEAM-focused curriculum (Science, Technology,
- New diversity lotteries bring gains and surprises at Charlotte-area charter schools
- Jul 14, 6:47 AM: Two popular Charlotte-area charter schools say their pioneering efforts to set aside seats for low-income students have boosted diversity, albeit slowly.
- Superintendent shares plans for NC's new Achievement School District
- > Jul 10, 5:44 AM: The Achievement School District bill was passed during the 2016 General Assembly short session. At the heart of the legislation is the creation of a district which will eventually include five low-performing schools from
- Some struggling NC schools will be turned over to charter school operators in 2018
- Jul 7, 7:01 AM: North Carolina families and teachers will find out in the next two months which low-performing elementary schools could be turned over to charter school operators in 2018.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Advance 100%
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- Yadkin Ripple - Online 0%