- Arizona charter operator made millions on the schools he runs. He now wants to be in NC.
- > Mar 12, 6:49 AM: The N.C. Charter Schools Advisory Board voted Monday to recommend giving a full interview to Wake Preparatory Academy, a proposed K-12 charter school that wants to open in 2020 in northern Wake County. Wake Prep would be
- School choice and equity are focus of new committees for Winston-Salem/Forsyth system
- Mar 5, 6:28 AM: Two special committees of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County school board met for the first time Monday, with one focusing on school choice and the other on climate, culture and equity.
- Opinion 'School choice,' because one size in education doesn't fit all
- > Feb 28, 6:21 AM: Education is the great equalizer. It can be the antidote that reverses the effects of centuries of injustice. It can change lives and build fortunes. A quality education is the very foundation of our system’s promise: If
- New charter schools opening in Gaston County
- Feb 25, 5:48 AM: The North Carolina Board of Education has approved two new K-8 charter schools to open in Gastonia and Stanley this August.
- Senate leader: If NC private school voucher money is going unspent, loosen the rules
- > Feb 22, 6:30 AM: Facing calls to rein in public spending for private school tuition, North Carolina Senate leader Phil Berger came to Charlotte on Thursday to celebrate school choice and advocate for the Opportunity Scholarship voucher
- School officials ask state legislators for more flexibility
- Feb 19, 7:16 AM: Flexibility was the focus of discussion as Pitt County Schools officials met with state legislators on Monday afternoon.
- Student group says rising CMS grad rates mask grim future for many black graduates
- > Feb 15, 8:34 AM: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools’ credit recovery program lets students who fail a course take online lessons to pass. But it allows too many students in high-poverty, mostly black schools graduate with grade-point averages
- 3 Wake charter schools recommended to open in 2020, others still under review
- > Feb 13, 5:59 AM: Three potential charter schools are one step closer to opening in Wake County. The North Carolina Charter Schools Advisory Board recommended this week that Doral Academy, North Raleigh Charter Academy and Wendell Falls
- NC voucher fund leaves millions unspent while growing by $10 million a year
- > Feb 12, 6:48 AM: State lawmakers keep adding money for North Carolina’s Opportunity Scholarship program, which sends low-income kids to private schools, even though there aren’t enough takers to spend the money it already has.
- A private school will become one of North Carolina’s newest charter schools
- > Feb 11, 7:54 AM: Three more charter schools have been approved to open this fall, including a private school that will make the conversion to becoming a public school after having survived the past few years with the help of North
- High school offers dual enrollment opportunities for homeschool students
- > Feb 11, 7:22 AM: Elliott said the school system has been able to expand its flexibility by being more open to the types of credits homeschool students may bring with them and by expanding the course options available to those students.
- Fact check: Are nearly 60,000 NC kids waitlisted for the school of their choice?
- > Feb 6, 6:16 AM: Brooke Medina, communications director for the Civitas Institute, said her group estimated the number of students waiting to get into schools of choice — which include private schools and charter schools — to be
- Should schools have more flexibility over their calendars? Triad legislators file bills that would allow this in some districts.
- Feb 4, 7:01 AM: Two Triad school systems — Davie and Alamance-Burlington — are attempting to gain legislative approval for more flexibility in their school calendars.
- Charter school growth forces closure of two Granville public schools
- > Feb 1, 6:35 AM: As neighboring school districts work to build more schools to accommodate growth, Granville County Schools is closing down two campuses. District officials blame nearby charter schools, which are pulling students – and the
- NC charter schools have nearly doubled since 2011. Some say it’s time for a new cap.
- > Feb 1, 6:20 AM: The number of charter schools in North Carolina has nearly doubled since a state cap was lifted in 2011, prompting a debate about whether it’s time to put a new limit on these non-traditional public schools.
- Charter school chief outlines improvement efforts
- > Jan 31, 7:21 AM: Rocky Mount Preparatory School has received a lot of negative comments from detractors who were angered at some of the decisions made by school leaders over the past few months, so the head of the charter school gave a
- Raises? Supplies? More jobs? What teachers and state workers want in NC budget talks
- > Jan 29, 7:04 AM: Jewell said the legislature can pay for some of the additional raises and other funding the NCAE wants, at least in part, by defunding the state’s controversial voucher system. That program, which started in 2014, allows
- Opponents kept a charter school out of west Cary. Now Thales Academy wants to try.
- > Jan 28, 8:30 AM: Another school is interested in a west Cary tract of land on the Wake-Chatham line. Thales Academy, which has schools in Apex, Holly Springs and Knightdale, wants to put another campus on the Chatham County side of Cary.
- RISE up: N.C. community colleges try a new approach for placing new students
- Jan 25, 7:26 AM: North Carolina’s community colleges are overhauling their remedial programs in hopes of getting students through school more quickly and more successfully.
- Concentrating on career tech doesn't exclude college path, Guilford County Schools data show
- > Jan 25, 7:21 AM: In reality though, Guilford County Schools students who follow a career tech path in high school are similarly likely to enroll in college their first year after graduating as are all other students, according to data
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Advance 100%
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- Yadkin Ripple - Online 0%