- Popular North End charter school at “crossroads” after departure of head of school
Ridnouer founded VERITAS with a clear vision focused on physical activity and healthy eating in addition to academics. About 145 students were enrolled near the end of the last school year in grades K-4, according to state data. >
Jul 24, 7:49 AM:
- Phoenix Academy in High Point set to expand
- > Jul 24, 6:21 AM: Phoenix Academy, a public charter school in High Point, plans to add 22 classrooms to its three campuses. The school announced plans this week to expand its primary, elementary and middle school campuses within the next two
- Enrollment rises at NC charter, private, home schools; traditional public schools see decline
- Jul 24, 5:48 AM: Enrollment in charter, private and home schools in North Carolina is on the rise. Meanwhile, traditional public schools' numbers have declined, according to data posted by the state.
- Fewer kids in NC are attending traditional public schools. What does that mean?
- > Jul 21, 5:49 AM: Supporters of school choice say families are benefiting from expanded options provided by state lawmakers, including through the use of vouchers for private schools. But some critics say it’s part of a push to privatize education in
- Mebane STEAM Academy charter school in works
- > Jul 20, 7:29 AM: The year-round charter school, which would span from pre-K through fifth grade and add sixth, seventh and eighth grades as the children advanced, is slated to have a STEAM-focused curriculum (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art
- New diversity lotteries bring gains and surprises at Charlotte-area charter schools
- Jul 14, 6:47 AM: Two popular Charlotte-area charter schools say their pioneering efforts to set aside seats for low-income students have boosted diversity, albeit slowly.
- Superintendent shares plans for NC’s new Achievement School District
- > Jul 10, 5:44 AM: The Achievement School District bill was passed during the 2016 General Assembly short session. At the heart of the legislation is the creation of a district which will eventually include five low-performing schools from around the
- Some struggling NC schools will be turned over to charter school operators in 2018
- Jul 7, 7:01 AM: North Carolina families and teachers will find out in the next two months which low-performing elementary schools could be turned over to charter school operators in 2018.
- Three Charlotte charter schools get final green light, but one scales back size
- Jul 7, 5:36 AM: Three new charter schools are ready to open in Charlotte next month, with the North Carolina Board of Education signing off Thursday that they’ve done everything required.
- For-profit charter operator lobbies for workplace schools
- > Jun 29, 6:53 AM: As profit-driven charter school management companies seek growth opportunities, one of the country’s largest for-profit firms is lobbying North Carolina legislators to create a new market for a type of school only rarely
- Dispute over N.C. public schools control, money lands in court
- > Jun 28, 6:04 AM: The question spelled out nearly 150 years ago yet repeatedly fought over by politicians over the past quarter century is back: Who runs North Carolina public schools that educate 1.5 million students at a cost of $13 billion a
- Hardister amendment would help Guilford charter school among others
- > Jun 26, 7:31 AM: A state budget amendment that would help charter schools serving low-income students looks close to becoming law. It’s an idea that started with a former Guilford County legislator, got championed by two current local
- NC looks at worksite charter schools for company kids
- Jun 19, 7:48 AM: A rarely applied experiment in education enabling companies to host taxpayer-funded charter schools for their employees' children may be about to spread.
- New CMS diversity lottery shows change for some magnets, but questions remain
- > Jun 13, 5:59 AM: And at lower-poverty schools such as Blythe Elementary and J.M. Alexander Middle, a larger number of disadvantaged students got seats in popular International Baccalaureate magnets, thanks to a new Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
- All girls charter school will double in size for 2017-2018 school year
- > Jun 12, 6:24 AM: GLOW (Girls Leadership Academy of Wilmington) has 100 students in the 6th grade, who will eventually be the first graduating seniors of the academy, as it grows with each passing year until it’s a full-fledged middle and high
- Parents, schools at odds over transfer rules
- > Jun 2, 6:59 AM: Many parents gathered at Wintergreen Intermediate School on Thursday urged Pitt County Schools to continue a longstanding practice of allowing their children to attend D.H. Conley High School even though they live in the South
- NC House rejects attempts to cut funding from private school vouchers and shift it to public schools
- Jun 2, 6:33 AM: The House voted 69-43 Thursday to table a budget amendment proposed by Rep. Rosa Gill, a Raleigh Democrat, a procedural move that prevented further consideration of the amendment.
- Rise of charter schools: Some say they offer stability, safety from reassignment
- Jun 2, 5:26 AM: More than 4,700 new Wake County students are expected to attend public schools this fall – but the majority of those newcomers will likely go to charter schools.
- Wilmington’s all-girls charter school grows in busy 1st year
- Jun 1, 6:28 AM: Girls Leadership Academy of Wilmington will double in size next year with 100 new students and 5 teachers.
- NC House moves to shift road funding to new charter school bus grant
A proposal to move money from road maintenance to a new grant program for charter schools divided the House Appropriations Committee on Wednesday.
Jun 1, 5:12 AM:
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Advance 100%
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- Yadkin Ripple - Online 0%