- Democratic senators want 'recess' for charter school growth
- > Mar 21, 6:30 AM: A pair of Wake County senators say North Carolina continues to approve new charter schools with little oversight into how they're using tax dollars and whether they're actually serving students and the local community.
- Virtual Academy gains traction
- > Mar 18, 4:43 AM: Seven months since Nash-Rocky Mount Public Schools launched its Virtual Academy, school district officials say they are pleased with the response they have had so far and are looking to expand its possibilities in the
- Despite uncertainty, Huntersville continues to explore charter school options
- > Mar 15, 5:25 AM: The proposal is all possible thanks to a bill that passed up in Raleigh last year. Four area towns have the ability to create their own charter school separate from CMS. Even with that bill it still remains uncertain if it
- A virtual charter school ‘divorce’ leaves 2,400 students caught in the middle
- > Mar 14, 7:07 AM: More than 2,400 students are caught in the middle of a fight between one of North Carolina’s two virtual charter schools and the for-profit education company that receives millions of dollars a year to manage the school.
- Gov. Cooper’s spending plan would phase out school voucher program
- > Mar 13, 7:35 AM: Gov. Roy Cooper’s biennium spending plan calls for phasing out the controversial and underutilized “Opportunity Scholarships” created to help defray the cost of private schools for low-income families.
- Arizona charter operator made millions on the schools he runs. He now wants to be in NC.
- > Mar 12, 6:49 AM: The N.C. Charter Schools Advisory Board voted Monday to recommend giving a full interview to Wake Preparatory Academy, a proposed K-12 charter school that wants to open in 2020 in northern Wake County. Wake Prep would be
- School choice and equity are focus of new committees for Winston-Salem/Forsyth system
- Mar 5, 6:28 AM: Two special committees of the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County school board met for the first time Monday, with one focusing on school choice and the other on climate, culture and equity.
- Opinion 'School choice,' because one size in education doesn't fit all
- > Feb 28, 6:21 AM: Education is the great equalizer. It can be the antidote that reverses the effects of centuries of injustice. It can change lives and build fortunes. A quality education is the very foundation of our system’s promise: If
- New charter schools opening in Gaston County
- Feb 25, 5:48 AM: The North Carolina Board of Education has approved two new K-8 charter schools to open in Gastonia and Stanley this August.
- Senate leader: If NC private school voucher money is going unspent, loosen the rules
- > Feb 22, 6:30 AM: Facing calls to rein in public spending for private school tuition, North Carolina Senate leader Phil Berger came to Charlotte on Thursday to celebrate school choice and advocate for the Opportunity Scholarship voucher
- School officials ask state legislators for more flexibility
- Feb 19, 7:16 AM: Flexibility was the focus of discussion as Pitt County Schools officials met with state legislators on Monday afternoon.
- Student group says rising CMS grad rates mask grim future for many black graduates
- > Feb 15, 8:34 AM: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools’ credit recovery program lets students who fail a course take online lessons to pass. But it allows too many students in high-poverty, mostly black schools graduate with grade-point averages
- 3 Wake charter schools recommended to open in 2020, others still under review
- > Feb 13, 5:59 AM: Three potential charter schools are one step closer to opening in Wake County. The North Carolina Charter Schools Advisory Board recommended this week that Doral Academy, North Raleigh Charter Academy and Wendell Falls
- NC voucher fund leaves millions unspent while growing by $10 million a year
- > Feb 12, 6:48 AM: State lawmakers keep adding money for North Carolina’s Opportunity Scholarship program, which sends low-income kids to private schools, even though there aren’t enough takers to spend the money it already has.
- A private school will become one of North Carolina’s newest charter schools
- > Feb 11, 7:54 AM: Three more charter schools have been approved to open this fall, including a private school that will make the conversion to becoming a public school after having survived the past few years with the help of North
- High school offers dual enrollment opportunities for homeschool students
- > Feb 11, 7:22 AM: Elliott said the school system has been able to expand its flexibility by being more open to the types of credits homeschool students may bring with them and by expanding the course options available to those students.
- Fact check: Are nearly 60,000 NC kids waitlisted for the school of their choice?
- > Feb 6, 6:16 AM: Brooke Medina, communications director for the Civitas Institute, said her group estimated the number of students waiting to get into schools of choice — which include private schools and charter schools — to be
- Should schools have more flexibility over their calendars? Triad legislators file bills that would allow this in some districts.
- Feb 4, 7:01 AM: Two Triad school systems — Davie and Alamance-Burlington — are attempting to gain legislative approval for more flexibility in their school calendars.
- Charter school growth forces closure of two Granville public schools
- > Feb 1, 6:35 AM: As neighboring school districts work to build more schools to accommodate growth, Granville County Schools is closing down two campuses. District officials blame nearby charter schools, which are pulling students – and the
- NC charter schools have nearly doubled since 2011. Some say it’s time for a new cap.
- > Feb 1, 6:20 AM: The number of charter schools in North Carolina has nearly doubled since a state cap was lifted in 2011, prompting a debate about whether it’s time to put a new limit on these non-traditional public schools.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Advance 100%
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- Yadkin Ripple - Online 0%