- As staff shortages emerge, CMS may begin shifting individual schools to remote learning
- > Nov 25, 9:21 AM: In an emergency meeting Tuesday, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools board members granted Superintendent Earnest Winston the authority to move individual schools to remote-only instruction during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Parents of Charlotte charter school students help staff members impacted by massive flooding
- > Nov 16, 8:25 AM: More than 140 students and staff were rescued from Thursday’s heavy flooding that caused Corvian Community Elementary School to evacuate. The school said 14 cars belonging to teachers were totaled, and another 25 cars are
- Accountants, former management company to blame for incomplete audits, says charter school’s chairwoman
- Nov 13, 8:11 AM: Essie Mae Kiser Charter School chairwoman Tina Foxx Wallace is laying blame on incomplete audits on the accountant with which the school contracted.
- As charters siphon off students, Granville County’s public schools are struggling to stay afloat
- > Nov 13, 6:47 AM: Granville County Schools is a microcosm of more widespread challenges faced by rural districts whose public school enrollments — and budgets — have been gutted by the proliferation of charter schools. Since the General
- ‘It is devastating’: State may shutdown charter school for not submitting audits
- Nov 12, 7:46 AM: The Essie Mae Kiser Foxx Charter School in East Spencer may be forced to shut down, which would have about 100 students scrambling to find a new school.
- Mark Robinson to be NC’s first Black lieutenant governor
- Nov 4, 10:00 AM: Robinson, a conservative, supports school choice and giving parents the right to have options for their children’s education.
- Catherine Truitt wins NC Superintendent of Public Instruction race
- Nov 4, 8:21 AM: Republican Catherine Truitt has defeated Democrat Jen Mangrum to become North Carolina’s Superintendent of Public Education.
- Early grades for Wake students ‘are concerning.’ Is remote learning hurting them?
- Oct 30, 5:25 AM: Grades are down for students in the Wake County school system after two months of remote learning to start the school year.
- Optimism grows for new charter school in Faith
- > Oct 29, 5:18 AM: Days after the Rowan-Salisbury Schools Board of Education voted to close the town’s elementary school, would be founders of a charter school are energized about their chances of opening Faith Academy in 2021.
- A look behind the curtain at NC’s charter school oversight process
- Oct 28, 7:18 AM: Recent rejection of proposed Wake charter reveals a system that can get messy, contentious and personal
- Debate Continues Over School Voucher Program
- > Oct 26, 6:26 AM: Then she learned about the Opportunity Scholarship Program. The income-based program provides vouchers to help families pay for a school of their choice. Melanie says her kids have blossomed since transferring to a private
- Public schools in Wake, Durham and across NC see steep drop in students during pandemic
- > Oct 23, 7:01 AM: Newly released average daily membership figures for the first month of this school year show North Carolina school districts had 5.05% fewer students than in the first month of last school year, EducationNC reported
- Fact check: Cooper says Forest would allow 'rich' to use state aid for private schools
- > Oct 22, 6:03 AM: Cooper is talking about Forest’s plan to modify Opportunity Scholarships, which are part of a state government program that offers financial aid to families who want their child to enroll in a participating nonpublic
- Letter to the Editor: Let’s put public schools first
- > Oct 22, 5:04 AM: But consider what else has happened in the past decade. The controlling party in Raleigh has promoted tax vouchers, reduced North Carolina teacher pay from what was once the national average, and failed to reward
- One more approval left after Faith Academy clears charter advisory board
- > Oct 14, 7:38 AM: Faith Academy, a would-be charter school, received approval from the N.C. Charter School Advisory Board on Tuesday. Academy officials were interviewed by the board last month for approval and were asked to return in
- Education, economic benefits possible from expansion of North Carolina school-choice program: Study
- Oct 9, 6:12 AM: Giving parents the ability to choose what school their children attend could save North Carolina taxpayers money, among other benefits, according to a new study.
- Study: Education, economic benefits possible from expansion of North Carolina school-choice program
- Oct 8, 5:37 AM: Giving parents the ability to choose what school their children attend could save North Carolina taxpayers money, among other benefits, according to a new study.
- Candidates clash on reopening schools
- > Oct 6, 5:10 AM: When Democrat Jen Mangrum and Republican Catherine Truitt first filed to run for state superintendent of public instruction, neither could have expected that the central issue of the 2020 race would be whether to allow
- Nearly 5,000 fewer students in CMS this year — an unprecedented drop
- > Oct 2, 7:50 AM: In the district’s annual headcount — a point-in-time estimated measurement of enrollment on the 20th day of school — there were 142,177 students. That’s down from last year’s headcount of 146,888, a 3.2% drop.
- Everything Is Up for Grabs in North Carolina This Election Day. The Consequences for Public Schools Could Be Huge
- > Oct 1, 7:55 AM: The outcome of the elections will “almost surely have a profound impact” on school choice, funding and teacher pay, even if it is not entirely reflected in campaign ads or debate soundbites, said Ferrel Guillory, vice
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Advance 100%
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- Yadkin Ripple - Online 0%