- Proposed charter school for American Indians won't open in 2020; board calls curriculum too 'divisive'
- > Nov 13, 7:41 AM: A proposed charter school geared toward American Indian students will not be allowed to open next year after a state charter school board found the school's curriculum was "divisive instead of bringing unity.
- Letter: Lieutenant governor is offering a conservative, politically-correct bait and switch on vouch
- > Nov 13, 6:59 AM: Lt. Gov. Dan Forest’s education plan claims to put children first by giving parents state-funded vouchers to attend private schools. But this would reduce funding for our public schools and place thousands of low-income
- State Superintendent Mark Johnson joins the field seeking to be NC lieutenant governor
- Nov 13, 6:08 AM: State Superintendent Mark Johnson announced Tuesday that he’s joining the crowded field of candidates who want to become North Carolina’s lieutenant governor in 2020.
- Five local schools on target list of ISD inclusion
- Nov 12, 8:07 AM: Five Robeson County public schools are on the list of schools that qualify for absorption by the Innovative School District, but that is not a reason to panic, according to a local education leader.
- NCAE calls on teachers to picket before or after school Wednesday for more education funding
- Nov 12, 7:28 AM: The North Carolina Association of Educators is calling on teachers, parents and community members to picket before or after school on Wednesday to push for more education funding, including teacher raises.
- Shining Rock faces charter renewal board Wednesday
- Nov 11, 8:14 AM: Haywood’s first charter school is in the middle of its fifth school year, and is wrapping up a process school leaders hope will set the stage for the future.
- Time for action: State Board of Education aims for more after they 'barely moved the needle'
- > Nov 8, 7:10 AM: The State Board of Education gaveled in a new era Tuesday at its fall planning session, closing the chapter on the state’s 2014 five-year strategic plan and moving forward under a new action-centered plan guided by
- Dan Forest wants every NC family to be eligible for a private school voucher
- > Nov 8, 6:35 AM: Lt. Gov. Dan Forest is making expanding school choice for North Carolina families a major part of his campaign to become governor in 2020. He wants all families to be eligible to get a private school voucher.
- Column: Charter schools offer choices to North Carolina families regardless of income
- > Nov 4, 6:01 AM: There’s a lot of confusion these days about what charter schools are and what they aren’t. Some of the confusion is sewn deliberately by people who don’t like the idea of parents having a choice of where to send their
- 2020 School Choice Season Begins In CMS, Charter And Private Schools
- > Oct 31, 4:51 AM: Friday kicks off the 2020 school choice season in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, as well as some charter schools in the region. As options expand and competition intensifies, parents can find the scene a bit overwhelming.
- Senate, House approve changes to Innovative School District
- Oct 30, 5:55 AM: The Senate and the House approved changes to North Carolina's Innovative School District on Tuesday that create a new process for how low-performing schools are chosen for the district.
- Charter school supporters concerned about Leandro Commission
- > Oct 18, 5:52 AM: Proponents of charter schools worry the Governor’s Commission on Access to a Sound Basic Education will use the Leandro ruling as a roundabout way to restrict charter schools. The most recent commission meeting, Monday,
- This company set up charter schools in Greensboro and across North Carolina. Its leaders have left.
- Oct 17, 5:18 AM: An organization that helped set up charter schools in North Carolina and Arizona has lost several of its leaders and cut back on its work, leading two N.C. schools to drop the organization’s services.
- CMS Officials Discusses Charter Competition And Other Trends In Enrollment Slump
- > Oct 10, 6:50 AM: Competition with charter schools may have played a role in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools’ enrollment slump this year, a district official says. But while some schools came in under projections, some are growing fast.
- Feds give NC more than $36 million for charter schools. Can the state spend it all?
- Oct 9, 5:28 AM: North Carolina will now have more than $36 million in federal funding to help increase enrollment in charter schools, particularly for children from low-income groups.
- Column: School choice better than Wegmans
- > Oct 7, 5:21 AM: or genuine excitement and happiness over discovering more options than the single thou-shalt-attend public school dictated to parents, you’d have to ask the parents. Watch parent’s stories about Opportunity Scholarships.
- Charter school gets 600 books from Newcomers Club
- > Oct 3, 5:50 AM: In June, a club member challenged fellow members of the Newcomers Club to donate 100 children’s books, and that member would donate 100 additional books. The books were to be provided so students could have books in their
- NC took over a school and gave it to a charter school operator. Test scores dropped.
- Oct 3, 4:51 AM: More schools may be taken over by the state’s Innovative School District, even as a new report showed flat test scores and a variety of problems at the only school now in the controversial program.
- Tarboro charter school scores dip
- > Oct 1, 6:58 AM: After a year of significant growth and increase in proficiency in the 2017-18 school year, North East Carolina Preparatory School had less to celebrate when this year’s scores came out, though the school seems to still be
- Editorial: N.C. private school vouchers must be national model, not object of ridicule
- > Sep 24, 6:04 AM: North Carolinians deserve a voucher program that is a national model – not the one it has now that is ridiculed for its lack standards for academics, student achievement, financial accountability and public transparency.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Advance 100%
- BlueRidgeNow.com 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Jefferson Post - Online 0%
- Yadkin Ripple - Online 0%