- Parental involvement improving at NYC schools after years of struggles, stats show
- > Nov 13, 7:47 AM: Now schools Chancellor Carmen Fariña says data indicate more parents took part in their children's schooling, for the school year that ended in June. She credits a number of new investments and an overhaul of the city’s
- Battling closure, Harlem charter school enlisted a high-profile PR firm that once repped Ivanka Trump
- Nov 10, 8:05 AM: When New York City tried to shut down Opportunity Charter School’s middle school earlier this year for poor performance, the Harlem charter immediately went on the offensive.
- Success Academy hires dozens of military veterans as part of new initiative
- Nov 10, 7:53 AM: As part of a new initiative, the Success Academy charter school network has hired 40 military veterans to work in a variety of roles across its network, from classroom teachers to business managers.
- Clinton Hill Residents File Objections Against Controversial Charter School Plans
- > Nov 6, 6:46 AM: Today, Clinton Hill residents filed more than 250 letters of objection to the Board of Standards and Appeals to block the approval of a 101-foot high building on a lot that, as they argue, is already overbuilt. The
- Granville charter school proposal gets polarized response in Mount Vernon
- > Nov 3, 5:22 AM: Granville, if approved by the Board of Regents at its November meeting, would gradually add 100 students annually — using a lottery system that gives preference to students from the city — starting with sixth grade in the
- At a PUC charter school in New York, echoes of Ref Rodriguez's L.A. troubles
- Nov 3, 5:14 AM: When the New York state comptroller’s office recently audited a charter school in Rochester, N.Y., investigators found a number of troubling financial practices, including inadequate oversight.
- Eight Syracuse 'struggling' schools shape up, dodge takeover
- > Nov 1, 5:30 AM: Only two schools in the state will be placed under the management of an independent receiver because they did not make enough improvement. Those schools are Build Academy in Buffalo and School 41-Kodak in Rochester.
- Education advocacy group wants teachers union to end boycott over crafting standardized tests
- Oct 30, 6:14 AM: A group supporting tougher education standards is urging the state teachers’ union to reverse its decision to boycott participating in the writing of new standardized math and English tests.
- Supporters Want Charter School For Children With Autism
- > Oct 26, 5:47 AM: Local school officials are eying Nicolet College’s Lakeland campus building in Minocqua as the possible site for a charter school for special-needs students, with a focus on those living with Asperger’s Syndrome and others
- SUNY Chancellor says she will monitor new charter school teacher standards
- > Oct 26, 4:44 AM: Dr. Kristina Johnson, who began her job as Chancellor in September, said SUNY will continue to hold the 185 charter schools that it regulates to high standards. However, she does not disagree with a Board of Trustee
- SUNY Chancellor defends changes to charter school teacher certification standards
- Oct 25, 5:18 AM: The Chancellor of the State University of New York is defending a SUNY board committee's decision to lower some requirements for teachers at some charter schools.
- Parents slam charter boss for ‘boot camp’ discipline at Manhattan school
- > Oct 23, 6:50 AM: Angry parents who claim their kids are being ruined by boot camp-style teaching are staging an uprising at Eva Moskowitz’s flagship, $68 million Success Academy charter school that opened in September.
- Local parents, teachers' reps oppose new criteria for state charter schools
- > Oct 20, 6:08 AM: On October 11, SUNY approved a proposal allowing high-performing charter schools to create their own independent measures for teachers outside of statewide standards. That includes charters that have been voted to be
- Brooklyn charter school parents demand equality
- > Oct 20, 5:41 AM: Charter schools have become an important part of the educational landscape in Brooklyn by providing quality educational opportunities and should be given additional resources by the government, according to parents who
- Charter school advocates rally for expansion
- Oct 19, 5:55 AM: Hundreds of charter school parents, kids, and backers rallied in Brooklyn’s Cadman Plaza Wednesday to call for a large scale expansion of the sector.
- New York policymakers are taking a closer look at how they evaluate charter schools
- > Oct 18, 6:29 AM: New York is rethinking how it judges whether charter schools are successful and deserve to remain open — a discussion that comes as some top education policymakers have asked tough questions about the privately managed
- Public hearing set for proposed charter school for dyslexic students
- Oct 18, 5:52 AM: Staten Islanders will have an opportunity to voice their opinions on the proposed borough-wide charter school for dyslexic students at a public hearing on Oct. 24.
- Mayoral candidate Laura Lavine explains controversial idea to take over schools
- Oct 17, 5:32 AM: Republican candidate Laura Lavine believes Syracuse's next mayor should be held accountable for the city's schools.
- Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie questions rule allowing charter schools to certify teachers
- > Oct 16, 5:39 AM: Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie is the latest lawmaker to question the legality of new rules approved last week by a State University of New York committee that allows some charter schools to certify its own teachers.
- Unions Sue to Block ‘Watered Down’ Rules for Charter Teacher Training
- > Oct 13, 7:48 AM: A fight over charter schools and teacher training escalated on Thursday when the city and state teachers’ unions filed a lawsuit in state court seeking to prevent new rules from going into effect that allow some charters
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- City Online Edition 100%
- The Times Herald 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- National Review Online 0%
- Brooklyn Paper Publications - Online 0%