- Opinion: De Blasio & Carranza vs. public school parents: Why won't they give us what we want?
- > Oct 15, 5:41 AM: Over 14,000 children are on waitlists for Success Academy schools. Citywide, a total of 52,000 children are on all charter school waitlists. Clearly, these schools achieve impressive results. Unsurprisingly, there is
- Bonuses of Up to $8,000 to Teach in Struggling New York Schools
- > Oct 12, 7:21 AM: At 180 public schools in New York City, many in the Bronx, hiring and keeping teachers is a constant struggle. These are schools that are in some of the poorest neighborhoods and are often a long trek from the nearest
- With union’s blessing, students at 15 schools in the Bronx will take courses taught remotely
- Oct 12, 5:59 AM: Fifteen Bronx high schools will pilot video-conferencing courses in an effort to expand access to advanced coursework, city officials said Thursday, a pilot program that will last at least three years.
- No Building, No Permits – How a Brownsville Charter School Found a Home
- Oct 11, 6:22 AM: Key Collegiate Charter School director Katie Mazer faced a labyrinth of leases and permits when housing developer Camber Property Group came to the rescue.
- Yonkers Charter School of Educational Excellence to expand with high school grades in 2019
- Oct 9, 6:11 AM: Renovation work has begun at the site of the city's sole charter school, which is expected to open its doors to its first freshman high school class next fall.
- Survey: New York's high school grads feel unprepared
- > Oct 9, 5:06 AM: Just a third of recent high school graduates in New York said they were “significantly challenged,” academically, according to a survey from a coalition of education reform, community and business organizations.
- NYC Nears Cap on Charter Schools
- Oct 5, 6:41 AM: Eleven charter schools won approval Thursday to open in New York City in the next two years, bringing the city almost to the maximum that can operate under state law.
- New York City greenlights Success Academy middle school after contentious space fight
- > Oct 4, 5:15 AM: Less than a year after Success Academy lost a battle to open a new middle school in a building shared by a small Brooklyn elementary school, city officials confirmed Wednesday that they plan to give the charter network the
- Opinion: De Blasio, Carranza are leading NYC schools to a dead end
- > Oct 3, 5:21 AM: The implications involved in this change of focus are enormous. Most important, the results of imposing a radical race-based social-justice experiment on schools could be tragic for thousands of children and their
- 8 New York City schools — including 2 Success charters — win federal ‘Blue Ribbon’ status for 2018
- > Oct 2, 7:04 AM: A comprehensive high school in Queens, the elementary school once run by former chancellor Carmen Fariña, and two Success Academy charter schools are among the latest New York City schools to be named “Blue Ribbon” schools
- Maritime Charter School takes step back on expansion plans after lawsuit
- > Oct 2, 5:53 AM: Western New York Maritime Charter School is re-evaluating its expansion plans after a lawsuit and a request from the state to conduct an environmental assessment and an archaeological study of a site near what once was the
- Editorial: Plan for teacher evaluations
- > Oct 1, 6:57 AM: Come January, it will be time for state lawmakers to revisit the subject of teacher evaluations and how test results influence them. They should start those discussions thinking first about students, then other interests,
- Editorial: Mayor de Blasio and Chancellor Carranza dismiss charter school expansion
- > Oct 1, 6:25 AM: On the same day state test scores showed charter-school students dramatically outscoring traditional public school peers on state English and math tests, including getting a far higher portion of African-American kids to
- Editorial: State scores again show charter schools doing exactly what New York needs
- > Sep 27, 5:43 AM: All of which suggests that de Blasio and Carranza should junk their “Equity and Excellence” agenda, which has yet to show meaningful results for the students it aims to help. Oh, and abandon their drive to impose
- New York Test Scores Highlight Gaps Among Students from Different Backgrounds
- > Sep 27, 5:41 AM: With only one out of three black and Hispanic students passing New York’s tests in reading and math last spring, educators and advocates called Wednesday for more urgent efforts to narrow stubborn achievement gaps.
- New York City Makes Big Diversity Push in Brooklyn School District
- > Sep 21, 6:54 AM: In one of New York City’s most dramatic overhauls of admissions policies, public middle schools in one Brooklyn district will stop selecting applicants by academic records in an effort to better integrate their classrooms
- Electeds Fight To Stop Controversial Charter School From Opening In Overcrowded District
- Sep 18, 6:19 AM: In the wake of an approval of a Letter of Intent (LOI) of a Brooklyn-based charter school, a coalition of local electeds are looking to stop the school from opening a second location.
- Regents support a new way of evaluating charter schools and soften penalties for schools with high opt-out rates
- > Sep 18, 5:49 AM: New York’s top education policymakers tentatively approved new rules Monday on two hot-button issues: the penalties for districts and schools where many students opt out of state tests — and how nearly 100 charter schools
- Commentary: Hempstead’s students can’t wait
- Sep 13, 6:31 AM: This was a devastating summer for the district, following a distressing school year, following decades of failing the community’s children.
- Charter school group gives to political candidates
- Sep 12, 6:12 AM: The political arm of an influential education reform group has spent thousands to boost the fortunes of three incumbent Democrats campaigning in Thursday’s upcoming primary, campaign filings show.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- City Online Edition 100%
- The Times Herald 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- National Review Online 0%
- Brooklyn Paper Publications - Online 0%