- Opinion: How the Gates Foundation could play a positive role
- > May 8, 8:44 AM: We are blessed in New York State with some of the most brilliant, committed and heroic educators and school support staff in the world, some of whom have literally laid down their lives during the pandemic to serve our
- No technology can replace schools: CNY teachers, parents react to Cuomo
- > May 8, 8:17 AM: "It was like a gut punch when he spoke about online learning,” said Suslovic, who teaches U.S. history at Henninger High School in Syracuse. She questioned why Cuomo would call teachers, classrooms and school buildings an
- Editorial: Be open to reimagining education after COVID-19
- > May 7, 8:15 AM: Visionaries wanted. No others need apply. Whether we like it or not, we must adapt to the changes presented by the covid crisis.That goes for the way we govern, the way we work, the way we take care of our sick and
- Opinion Cuomo’s double-edged school ‘reinvention’
- > May 7, 6:24 AM: On Tuesday, Gov. Cuomo announced that New York would be launching a partnership with the Gates Foundation to “reimagine” schooling in the wake of the coronavirus. This new partnership is ripe with promise and pitfalls.
- Editorial: Richard Carranza’s sick plans to use coronavirus crisis to destroy NYC’s best schools
- May 6, 7:10 AM: Rather than create more good public schools, he prefers to dismantle the few good choices available to parents of all classes and incomes.
- Cuomo Taps Gates Foundation to Help New York ‘Revolutionize’ Education After Coronavirus
- > May 6, 5:46 AM: Cuomo said Tuesday that by partnering with Gates the state will be able to understand how it can better capitalize on technology to improve education for students, especially how it can be most effective for English
- Local education advocates concerned with Cuomo's 'Reimagine education' comments
- > May 6, 5:43 AM: As school buildings across New York remain closed for the rest of the academic year, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced plans to 'reimagine' the state's education system with a stronger emphasis on technology and virtual
- Teachers union wins case over dues
- > May 5, 7:44 AM: The state’s largest teachers' union has won a lawsuit in which two teachers, one from Long Island and another from upstate, sought refunds of dues or fees they had paid prior to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2018 Janus
- Online learning in a pandemic: Here's what parents need to know about education in 2020
- May 4, 6:57 AM: When schools closed and moved to online learning in March, it created a wide range of expected and unexpected new challenges for parents, students, educators, and elected officials.
- Editorial: New York’s charter schools are sending hundreds of kids to college
- > May 4, 6:35 AM: More than 95 percent of the 200-plus graduates a year from KIPP NYC College Prep in The Bronx, for example, also head to college — including Columbia-Barnard, Duke and other top-ranked universities. And the four
- Teachers across NYC have stopped giving live instruction amid lockdown
- > May 1, 7:09 AM: Live instruction has been abandoned in virtual classrooms across the Big Apple after the Department of Education’s transition to remote learning — and the teachers’ union is backing members who choose to pull the plug.
- State education leaders push for cancellation of teacher job evaluations
- > Apr 28, 7:59 AM: State education leaders are pressing for cancellation of this year's teacher job evaluations on grounds that such ratings are virtually impossible to carry out, now that schools have been closed and tests suspended in
- Success Academy to keep letter grades despite DOE plans for new grading system
- > Apr 28, 7:13 AM: Success Academy Charter Schools will continue to implement traditional grading while the Department of Education is reportedly planning a new grading system for what remains of the school year during the novel coronavirus
- One New York Special-Needs School Is Ahead of the Curve With Remote Learning
- > Apr 27, 8:03 AM: Now, with a month of remote teaching behind her due to the coronavirus outbreak, the behavior-management specialist at Staten Island Pre-K to eighth grade school P 373R, which has an enrollment of 640 special-needs
- Court rules against charter schools in funding fight
- > Apr 23, 6:14 AM: In an issue that has drawn heavy debate in the Legislature, a divided appeals court Wednesday backed the Palm Beach County School Board in a fight about whether charter schools should get a cut of voter-approved tax
- Rural areas struggle with remote learning as broadband remains elusive
- > Apr 22, 7:57 AM: Lawmakers representing communities in upstate New York have voiced concerns about the issue for years, fighting to increase access to high-speed internet in rural communities that often struggle to even get a bar of cell
- NYC parents and activists dueling over school grades amid coronavirus crisis
- > Apr 22, 7:39 AM: Others have called for a blanket pass or no pass structure across the board for the year, also without the issuance of grades. But some parents are demanding that the DOE preserve performance grades while taking the remote
- Opinion: New York City should freeze teacher salaries
- > Apr 22, 7:08 AM: A look at the New York City school system’s spending trends demonstrates the critical need for such a freeze and illuminates the choice elected officials face: fiscal prudence or the denial of much-needed services to our
- Cuomo’s chance to redefine public education
- Apr 21, 6:54 AM: Deep cuts to schools could happen unless billions in new federal stimulus funding comes through.
- Judge issues temporary relief for charter school amid funding dispute with Buffalo district
- > Apr 21, 6:35 AM: A state Supreme Court justice issued a temporary restraining order against Buffalo Public Schools late Friday after Tapestry Charter School sued the district for withholding payments of state aid intended for the school.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- City Online Edition 100%
- The Times Herald 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- National Review Online 0%
- Brooklyn Paper Publications - Online 0%