- New York City charter schools continue to emerge as a inclusive new opportunity for diverse
- Mar 31, 8:48 AM: With 272 charter schools throughout the five boroughs of New York City, many parents are wondering what exactly makes a charter school different from a more traditional public school.
- Harvard study can teach NY officials the secrets of Success Academy’s … success
- Mar 28, 8:41 AM: A new Harvard Business School case study of the Success Academy charter network offers valuable insight into why its schools are so, well . . . successful. New York officials should read every last word.
- Where have all the students gone? Over 100,000 left New York public schools over a two-year period
- Mar 23, 5:50 AM: According to the Empire Center, over the last two years there has been a combined 5% drop in K-12 enrollment in the state with more than 100,000 students exiting the state's public school system.
- Eric Adams makes picks with charter ties for schools governance panel
- > Mar 23, 5:19 AM: Mayor Eric Adams appointed a top charter school administrator and a slew of close allies to the Department of Education’s oversight board Tuesday to a mixed response. While proponents of school choice welcomed several of
- Editorial: Charter schools’ common sense ask of state Legislature
- > Mar 21, 8:26 AM: The Legislature refuses to lift the cap that prevents more charters from opening in New York City, though enrollment in charters has jumped 9% these last two years even as Department of Education schools keep losing kids
- Asian parents—fed up with public education—want more charter schools
- > Mar 21, 8:24 AM: In 2010, the powerful documentary “Waiting for Superman” exposed public schools for the failure factories they are, and forged lasting awareness that for black families, the only hope for a decent education is winning the
- Editorial: Open up new educational opportunities for students
- > Mar 21, 5:49 AM: If the pandemic taught us anything, it was how to be creative and more open minded with technology —whether it be finding ways to allow employees to work remotely, allow citizens to view their governments in action
- Opinion: Lift the charter cap to serve NYC families
- > Mar 10, 9:27 AM: What percentage of New York City students deserve a spot in one of the city’s 272 publicly-funded and generally high-performing charter schools? If you answered “13%,” then you ought to be highly satisfied with the city’s
- Here’s how NYC schools are spending $7 billion in COVID federal relief
- > Mar 9, 9:05 AM: With a stalled economy and projections of plummeting tax revenue, elected officials feared last winter that school budgets across New York would have to be slashed. Then, the federal government approved billions of dollars
- Teachers unions sue to block new NYC charter high school
- Mar 7, 8:26 AM: The city and state teachers unions are suing to block a charter high school from bringing a prestigious international diploma program to the Bronx.
- David Banks’ brutal honesty on why families are fleeing NYC public schools
- > Mar 4, 10:08 AM: This exodus from DOE schools “is an indictment of the work that we have done.” And COVID accelerated the rush out: January data show that DOE K-12 enrollment fell 5.6% this year to roughly 821,000 students.
- Editorial: Take it to the Banks: NYC’s new schools chancellor lays out a compelling vision
- > Mar 3, 8:56 AM: In an address from Tweed Courthouse, Chancellor David Banks offered his most detailed vision yet of where he hopes to lead New York City’s sprawling public school system. These were heartening words indeed.
- Retention rates for New York City public schools rose a bit during the pandemic.
- > Mar 2, 10:19 AM: Student retention in New York City schools, the nation’s largest public school system, has risen slightly since the pandemic began, according to a report released on Tuesday. But data in the report suggests that enrollment
- Uncommon Charter High School Leads the Way in STEM Education
UCHS is one of only 16 schools in New York state and one of two schools in New York City to be recognized as a “distinguished school” by Project Lead the Way. The other, Brooklyn Technical High School, is an elite public >
Mar 2, 9:42 AM:
- As NYC school enrollment shrinks, small schools fear for their survival
- > Mar 1, 8:56 AM: Harlem high school Principal Roony Vizcaino is trying everything he can this year to attract new students — even driving to middle schools in Washington Heights and the Bronx to drum up interest in his small public
- A Ruse to Block New York’s New Charter Schools
- > Feb 23, 9:46 AM: The union war on charter schools never ends, and the latest ruse in New York is to limit who can authorize a charter. A bill from Democratic state Sen. John Liu would give the state Board of Regents veto power over all
- As NYC eyes creating new schools for dyslexic students, Bridge Prep on Staten Island is ‘doing it right’
- > Feb 22, 10:46 AM: It has been nearly three years since Bridge Preparatory Charter School opened its doors to students for the first time — and it continues to be the model for schools that serve students with dyslexia and language-based
- Home schooling nearly doubled in NYC during the pandemic
- Feb 18, 8:49 AM: Mirroring trends across the nation, the number of children being home-schooled has dramatically increased in New York City.
- Editorial: $323 million in evidence of the failures of NYC’s public-school system
- Feb 16, 9:01 AM: Ouch: The city Department of Education is bailing out schools that have hemorrhaged kids, to the tune of $323 million — so far.
- Column: School-choice scholarships change lives in NYC
- > Feb 15, 9:58 AM: The benefit of school choice was again underscored for me when I received a Valentine’s Day “Thank you” card from a woman whose daughters are recipients of Children’s Scholarship Fund tuition in New York City. I am a
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Fiscal Times, The 100%
- City Online Edition 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- National Review Online 0%
- Brooklyn Paper Publications - Online 0%