- NYC Charter School Pleads to Stay Open
- Mar 29, 7:02 AM: Parents, students and leaders at a New York City charter school squared off with Department of Education officials Tuesday as they made their case for keeping their school open.
- Oppose charter school package: teachers to Phillips
- Mar 28, 6:48 AM: About 100 teachers and education activists gathered in Mineola on Friday to protest the state Senate’s proposal to boost charter school funding.
- Parents want to know why Lackawanna charter school principal was put on leave
- Mar 28, 6:42 AM: Ehrle's departure shocked some parents, and prompted some to picket outside the school on Monday afternoon. At least one is convinced that Ehrle's exit is connected to the union vote.
- Utica could pay more for charter school
- Mar 27, 5:33 AM: A measure in the state Senate budget would increase funding for charter schools and cost the Utica City School District a little more than $500,000, according to a state teacher union analysis.
- Could New York have prevented charter school woes?
- Mar 24, 6:00 AM: The original promise of charter schools was to breed innovation in education, allowing schools to try new ideas without the weight of a traditional school district administration.
- Capital Region charter schools boast $10.5 million in cash
- Mar 23, 6:22 AM: The amount of cash held by charter schools in the Capital Region grew nearly 71 percent to $10.5 million in the three years leading up to 2015, the last year such figures were filed with the state.
- School-Funding Battle Heats Up Over Charters
- > Mar 22, 6:52 AM: New York State United Teachers released a report Tuesday contending that charters shouldn’t “cry poverty,” judging by the union’s tally of June 2015 audits of charters, which showed about $395 million in cash on their books, in
- City may have to spend $274M to meet charter school costs
- Mar 21, 5:22 AM: The city is short-changing its charter-school students — and may have to spend up to another $274 million on them next year to meet rising costs, a new analysis says.
- State increases Riverhead Charter School’s enrollment to 700 students
- Mar 16, 5:53 AM: The New York State Board of Regents on Monday extended the Riverhead Charter School’s charter through the end of the 2021-22 school year.
- Some parents cry foul over City Honors admissions process
- Mar 13, 6:27 AM: The admissions process to one of the best schools in Buffalo has changed to force more racial diversity and ensure the system does not discriminate against minority students.
- Why One School Lives as Another Dies in the Same Building
- > Mar 13, 5:46 AM: But in several visits to the building and in interviews with teachers at both schools, it became clear that decisive leadership can make or break a school’s turnaround efforts: At New Millennium, a longtime principal has united the
- An unusual charter school that serves students with disabilities is under scrutiny from New York Cit
- Mar 9, 7:44 AM: When Opportunity Charter School opened its doors a dozen years ago, it had an ambitious and unusual plan: to serve a population where over half the students have a disability.
- Rochester River School charter proposal advances
- Mar 7, 6:47 AM: Two charter schools looking to open in 2018, including the Rochester River Charter School, have passed an initial hurdle in the application process.
- City’s ‘Renewal Program’ costs big bucks but shows few results
- > Mar 6, 7:10 AM: With a three-year deadline looming, progress has been spotty at best and the Department of Education has already given up on 17 schools. It plans to continue the program in September with 78 schools, including one that was created
- Parents, education officials at odds over state of public school
- > Mar 6, 7:05 AM: Recent Common Core testing shows PS 154 lags far behind Classical II, with 25 percent of the students showing proficiency or better in math, compared to 79 percent of the charter students. The disparity in English scores was even
- Success Academy boss Eva Moskowitz charters Radio City Music Hall for annual ‘Slam the Exam’
Success Academy founder Eva Moskowitz is taking over Midtown’s world-famous Radio City Music Hall for the charter network’s annual “Slam the Exam” state test rally on March 24, the Daily News has learned. >
Mar 3, 7:40 AM:
- Charter school lobbying group blasts NYC for rejecting public space requests
- Mar 2, 6:59 AM: Pro-charter school lobbying group Families for Excellent Schools says the city has denied 79% of requests made by charter operators for space in public school buildings since 2014.
- Charter school advocates send letters to Governor Cuomo
- > Feb 24, 7:07 AM: The Northeast Charter Schools Network says the letters are asking the governor to negotiate a budget that includes fair facilities funding for charter schools in New York State. It says schools are left using money meant for
- NY charter schools may get a boost with new US secretary of education
- > Feb 20, 8:27 AM: Since the state legislature cleared the way for charter schools to open in 1998, at least nine charter schools have been proposed for the region. But other than Newburgh Prep, the applications wound up being withdrawn before the
- State recommends expansion of two LI charter schools
- Feb 14, 7:35 AM: Two Long Island charter schools — one in Hempstead, the other in Calverton — would be able to expand student enrollments by 60 percent or more under a new recommendation by state education officials.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- City Online Edition 100%
- The Times Herald 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- National Review Online 0%
- Brooklyn Paper Publications - Online 0%