- New York City Spends $200 Million a Year to Aid High-Poverty Schools, With Mixed Results
- > Jan 29, 7:36 AM: A New York City initiative to help hundreds of public schools in high-poverty areas by providing them with social services had no effect on students’ state test scores in reading and little effect in math, a study released
- UFT to Senate Democrats: No Support From Us if You Support Charter Schools
- Jan 28, 7:46 AM: The city’s teachers union has been actively fighting the expansion of charter schools, which have certain advantages over traditional public schools.
- Girls at Charter School for Applied Technologies learn how to code after school
- Jan 24, 9:16 AM: 30 girls between 3rd and 5th grade at Charter School for Applied Technologies on Kenmore Avenue are part of a new after school club called Girls Who Code .
- Choosing Charter: Are Charters the Right Answer to Traditional Public Schools?
- > Jan 23, 9:17 AM: In fall 2009, when Bed-Stuy resident Helen Nurse was ready to enroll her three children into school, she opted against going back into the public district school system because “It’s the most segregated school system in
- Cuomo proposes temporary fix to open more charter schools
- Jan 23, 8:46 AM: More charter schools would be allowed to open in New York City under a proposal advanced in Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s budget plan.
- Persistence Prep seeks to move into former P.S. 62 building
- > Jan 21, 7:29 AM: A two-year-old Buffalo charter school plans to relocate from its temporary rental space on Michigan Avenue to a boarded-up former public school building at the corner of Urban and Moselle streets, which it will redevelop
- Viewpoints: Charter schools are no educational panacea
- > Jan 20, 7:51 AM: Let me first state that I believe there are charter schools in Buffalo that effectively provide alternative and innovative approaches to educating students. West Buffalo Charter is one such example. Its leaders are to be
- New York graduation rates climb, achievement gap narrows slightly
- Jan 17, 8:20 AM: Statewide, 83.4 percent of students who entered high school in 2015 graduated last year, 0.8 percentage points above the previous class' 82.6 percent, according to the data.
- Editorial: Insufficient progress in Buffalo schools
- > Jan 17, 8:05 AM: Superintendent Kriner Cash’s goal of a four-year graduation rate of 70% continues to be an elusive one for the Buffalo Public Schools. Data released Thursday by the state Education Department shows Buffalo’s rate improved
- Charter school parents worried that Gov. Andrew Cuomo is abandoning them
- > Jan 16, 7:19 AM: With the governor silent on charter schools in his State of the State address, parents and operators are worried he is abandoning them as the largely successful privately-run but publicly funded schools seek to expand in
- A ‘seal of civic readiness’ should be option for high school diploma, New York task force says
- > Jan 15, 8:32 AM: New York high schoolers should have the option to earn a “seal of civic readiness” as one way to complete their diploma requirements, members of a state education task force are suggesting to the Board of Regents.
- Senate Dems play nice with deep-pocketed charter school supporters despite progressive opposition
- > Jan 14, 8:08 AM: Deep-pocketed charter school supporters are breathing “a sigh of relief” after Senate Democrats opened their door to donors and lobbyists — a move that could sow division among liberal lawmakers in the state capital.
- Opinion: This charter school belongs elsewhere: Why we are pushing for Urban Dove Charter School to find another Midwood home
- > Jan 13, 7:54 AM: In recent weeks there has been a great deal of media attention around the proposed relocation of a charter school, Urban Dove (UD), to the East Midwood Jewish Center (EMJC) in Brooklyn. UD is charter school for “at-risk”
- New York is in uproar over push to ax gifted programs. This school is doing it anyway
- > Jan 13, 7:49 AM: From the outside, the racial divide might seem curious as PS 9 is one of the most diverse elementary schools in Brooklyn: Out of about 940 students, 40% are black, 31% are white, 17% are Hispanic and 9% are Asian. But
- City schools struggling to keep vocational programs afloat after abrupt funding cut
- Jan 13, 7:38 AM: For the 130 students in the business program at Susan Wagner High School in Staten Island, the opportunity to design and run their own company has been life-changing.
- Opinion: What the Future of Education Looks Like
- > Jan 10, 8:02 AM: What is a “school of the future”? If it’s just faster internet, new computers, and fresh branding, it’s not going to create the kind of opportunity or change the system needs. We need to think bigger if we’re serious about
- The Midwood charter school debate has nothing to do with racism | Opinion
- > Jan 6, 9:14 AM: This is why the neighbors of Midwood are upset and frightened about the prospect of Urban Dove’s arrival. This is not racism. The students could very well be any race or ethnicity. But these are young adults who have
- First new charter school of its kind opens in Throggs Neck
- Dec 31, 7:55 AM: The Bronx Arts and Science Charter School held a ribbon cutting event in celebration of their first charter in the state of New York on Thursday, December 12.
- Editorial: How the Working Families Party fails charter school families
- > Dec 27, 8:00 AM: As The Post’s Carl Campanile reported this week, a WFP questionnaire instructs political wannabes to state their views on charter schools and whether they’ll accept gifts from folks tied to them. It also asks if they’ll
- Charter Schools Keep Tabs on Grads to Keep Them in College
- > Dec 26, 9:39 AM: At four of the big charter networks operating in New York City, alumni and staff say such personal attention can make all the difference. Most of their students are poor and black or Hispanic. Many are the first in their
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- City Online Edition 100%
- The Times Herald 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- National Review Online 0%
- Brooklyn Paper Publications - Online 0%