- EVCA challenging denial of recharter
- > Jan 20, 7:52 AM: Estancia Valley Classical Academy, in its official letter appealing the denial of its recharter request to the state Public Education Commission, said the PEC’s motion was unclear about how the charter school wasn’t
- Governor touts grad rate increase; union president slams announcement
- > Jan 17, 6:21 AM: However, Albuquerque's teachers union is blasting the governor’s announcement, saying the state is scoring better in spite of Martinez’ actions. Albuquerque Teachers Federation President Ellen Bernstein said educators did
- Charter school pursuing appeal to stay open
- > Jan 16, 6:49 AM: The New Mexico Virtual Academy has started the process to appeal a denial of its charter reauthorization by the Farmington school board. The online charter school’s Governing Council approved a resolution during a special
- Parents join the fight to keep charter school open
- > Jan 13, 7:03 AM: La Promesa Early Learning Center parents have started a petition to the Public Education Committee to give the school one year to bring the grade point average up, and to recover from the mismanagement of funds.
- State wants to close La Promesa charter school in ABQ
- > Jan 11, 6:50 AM: The New Mexico Public Education Department is recommending closure of La Promesa Early Learning Center, a charter school founded by embattled Albuquerque Public Schools Board member Analee Maestas, who is facing fraud
- Charter school moves into downtown Albuquerque
- > Jan 10, 7:27 AM: The past couple years have been a gradual turn-around for the once-blighted downtown Albuquerque. The arts, pubs and coffee cafes now line an emerging Central Avenue. Soon, teenagers will be studying at a publicly funded
- Education Secretary criticizes charter school moratorium
- > Jan 3, 6:06 AM: New Mexico Secretary of Education Hanna Skandera blasted a Democratic legislator’s proposed 2½-year charter school moratorium, calling the plan an irresponsible overreach that would harm students.
- State lawmaker calls for ‘timeout’ on approving new charter schools
- > Dec 27, 7:58 AM: A New Mexico lawmaker wants the state to stop allowing new charter schools to open for at least two and a half years so officials can evaluate such schools now in operation and find ways to ensure they are delivering
- Debt-ridden Albuquerque Charter School asking community for help
- Dec 21, 7:42 AM: An Albuquerque Charter School is being forced to close its doors, after racking up hundreds of thousands in debt.
- Board votes to close New Mexico Virtual Academy
- Dec 19, 7:10 AM: The Farmington school board voted today to deny reauthorizing the charter for New Mexico Virtual Academy and opted to close the school at the end of the school year due to low student performance.
- State denies renewal of EVCA charter
- Dec 16, 6:19 AM: Estancia Valley Classical Academy is appealing the Public Education Commission’s recent denial to recharter the school.
- APS board votes to close charter school
- Dec 15, 8:22 AM: The Albuquerque Public Schools Board of Education voted to not renew a debt-ridden middle school’s charter during a committee meeting Wednesday.
- Parents happy with APS, 2016 survey finds
- Dec 1, 8:55 AM: Parents of Albuquerque Public Schools students are overwhelmingly satisfied with the district, according to a survey presented to the board of education Wednesday.
- School for the Arts’ late bond request rejected
- > Nov 16, 7:52 AM: The Santa Fe school board late Tuesday rejected a surprise, 11th-hour request by the public-private New Mexico School for the Arts to expand a proposed bond issue by $15 million to help pay for converting the Sanbusco
- Charter school group gives annual awards
- Nov 14, 6:58 AM: The New Mexico Coalition for Charter Schools recently handed out its top annual awards including the 2016 Charter School of the Year to The Academy for Technology and the Classics in Santa Fe.
- Classics named best charter school in New Mexico
- Oct 28, 6:48 AM: The Academy for Technology and the Classics, already a recipient of a number of national and state awards, received another accolade Thursday as New Mexico’s Best Charter School of the Year.
- Donations by teachers union may have broken law
- Oct 26, 6:30 AM: A teachers union reported giving contributions to legislators and a legislative candidate during the recent special session, in apparent violation of a law prohibiting it.
- Unions finally get trial date in state’s maligned teacher evaluation system
- Oct 25, 6:02 AM: A judge on Monday finally scheduled a trial date in a long-running lawsuit launched by a teachers’ union to stop New Mexico’s controversial system of evaluating teachers.
- ABQ teachers protest, destroy evaluations
- > Oct 20, 6:24 AM: Mary Kelly is a “highly effective” teacher, according to the New Mexico Public Education Department, but she rejects the label and the system behind it. On Wednesday afternoon, Kelly kicked off a protest in front of
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KRQE.com 100%
- Ruidoso News - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- AlbuquerqueNews.net / KASA.com 33%
- Silver City Sun-News - Online 33%