- Elected officials speak up for troubled charter school
- > Feb 22, 6:40 AM: Local elected officials rallied for La Promesa Early Learning Center on Tuesday morning, appealing to the Public Education Commission to give the embattled charter school a chance to fix its serious financial problems.
- Bill to make test scores part of evals by law stalls
- Feb 13, 8:16 AM: In a win for teachers unions, the House Education Committee did not advance a bill Saturday that would have made student test scores the main component of teacher evaluations by law.
- Online charter school renewal OKd with conditions
- Feb 10, 7:09 AM: The Farmington school board has approved a two-year charter renewal with the New Mexico Virtual Academy under conditions that include the online charter school eventually leaving the school district.
- Charter school taking over Journal Center ITT space
- Feb 3, 7:44 AM: The school, which counts 200 students and 30 staffers, will be the new tenant at a 26,000-square-foot facility previously occupied by ITT Technical Institute, a for-profit college.
- Report calls into question teacher ratings in New Mexico
- > Jan 25, 7:35 AM: An education policy think tank that backs the use of data on student progress to evaluate teacher performance says in a new report that most states, including New Mexico, are failing to ensure that all teachers rated as
- Online learning among options showcased during APS' School Choice Week
- Jan 24, 6:40 AM: APS says eCademy is just one of dozens of free, public school options families can choose to find the right learning style for their students, at every level.
- Governor Celebrates Charter Schools, School Choice
- > Jan 24, 5:55 AM: Charter schools in New Mexico run the gamut – from National Blue Ribbon Schools, to several that have been closed due to mismanagement. Governor Susana Martinez joined a national campaign focusing on school choice this
- EVCA challenging denial of recharter
- > Jan 20, 7:52 AM: Estancia Valley Classical Academy, in its official letter appealing the denial of its recharter request to the state Public Education Commission, said the PEC’s motion was unclear about how the charter school wasn’t
- Governor touts grad rate increase; union president slams announcement
- > Jan 17, 6:21 AM: However, Albuquerque's teachers union is blasting the governor’s announcement, saying the state is scoring better in spite of Martinez’ actions. Albuquerque Teachers Federation President Ellen Bernstein said educators did
- Charter school pursuing appeal to stay open
- > Jan 16, 6:49 AM: The New Mexico Virtual Academy has started the process to appeal a denial of its charter reauthorization by the Farmington school board. The online charter school’s Governing Council approved a resolution during a special
- Parents join the fight to keep charter school open
- > Jan 13, 7:03 AM: La Promesa Early Learning Center parents have started a petition to the Public Education Committee to give the school one year to bring the grade point average up, and to recover from the mismanagement of funds.
- State wants to close La Promesa charter school in ABQ
- > Jan 11, 6:50 AM: The New Mexico Public Education Department is recommending closure of La Promesa Early Learning Center, a charter school founded by embattled Albuquerque Public Schools Board member Analee Maestas, who is facing fraud
- Charter school moves into downtown Albuquerque
- > Jan 10, 7:27 AM: The past couple years have been a gradual turn-around for the once-blighted downtown Albuquerque. The arts, pubs and coffee cafes now line an emerging Central Avenue. Soon, teenagers will be studying at a publicly funded
- Education Secretary criticizes charter school moratorium
- > Jan 3, 6:06 AM: New Mexico Secretary of Education Hanna Skandera blasted a Democratic legislator’s proposed 2½-year charter school moratorium, calling the plan an irresponsible overreach that would harm students.
- State lawmaker calls for ‘timeout’ on approving new charter schools
- > Dec 27, 7:58 AM: A New Mexico lawmaker wants the state to stop allowing new charter schools to open for at least two and a half years so officials can evaluate such schools now in operation and find ways to ensure they are delivering
- Debt-ridden Albuquerque Charter School asking community for help
- Dec 21, 7:42 AM: An Albuquerque Charter School is being forced to close its doors, after racking up hundreds of thousands in debt.
- Board votes to close New Mexico Virtual Academy
- Dec 19, 7:10 AM: The Farmington school board voted today to deny reauthorizing the charter for New Mexico Virtual Academy and opted to close the school at the end of the school year due to low student performance.
- State denies renewal of EVCA charter
- Dec 16, 6:19 AM: Estancia Valley Classical Academy is appealing the Public Education Commission’s recent denial to recharter the school.
- APS board votes to close charter school
- Dec 15, 8:22 AM: The Albuquerque Public Schools Board of Education voted to not renew a debt-ridden middle school’s charter during a committee meeting Wednesday.
- Parents happy with APS, 2016 survey finds
- Dec 1, 8:55 AM: Parents of Albuquerque Public Schools students are overwhelmingly satisfied with the district, according to a survey presented to the board of education Wednesday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KRQE.com 100%
- Ruidoso News - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- AlbuquerqueNews.net / KASA.com 33%
- Silver City Sun-News - Online 33%