- Santa Fe Public Schools launches first day of distance learning
- > Mar 31, 7:09 AM: A veteran educator who teaches math and government at the Academy for Technology and the Classics, a public charter school, Brown was among hundreds of teachers in Santa Fe Public Schools facing what might be a new era.
- Editorial: Budget will ensure more money gets to NM’s classrooms
- > Mar 9, 8:28 AM: Now all the state’s students, parents and taxpayers need is for Lujan Grisham to sign HB 2, the state’s budget bill, and keep intact an essential provision that mandates a higher percentage of classroom spending in public
- Opinion: How a charter school turned lives around
- > Mar 9, 5:18 AM: For us, like so many young people in New Mexico, traditional public schools don’t always work. We’re not “regular” students, and through some painful trial and error, we found we didn’t fit into “regular” schools either.
- ‘We need some help’
- > Feb 19, 7:21 AM: Bayuk said he has been learning with dozens of others at Gordon Bernell Charter School for a month now, building skills that could help him find a job and stay out of jail. But the Gordon Bernell campus at MDC faces
- Unique charter school asks lawmakers for funding, risks shutting down
- Feb 14, 8:22 AM: A school with a unique program could be shutting down. Gordon Bernell Charter School offers a different learning opportunity for adults.
- Bill stalls to restore funds to smaller school districts
- Feb 12, 8:44 AM: Many of New Mexico’s smallest public schools have wrangled this year with a drop in state funding after lawmakers passed legislation in 2019 that is gradually cutting off a revenue stream.
- Opinion: School choice promotes equity
- > Jan 29, 5:24 AM: One-size-fits-all doesn’t work very well when it comes to things like clothing. Just imagine the results if a UNM football player and petite Flamenco dancer tried putting on the same outfit. That same concept, of
- Las Montañas high school wins renewal of charter, with praise from education commission
- Jan 6, 8:55 AM: Las Montañas Charter High School won a five-year renewal of its charter from the New Mexico Public Education Commission at its December 10 meeting in Santa Fe.
- APS authorizes renewal for 3 charter schools
- Jan 6, 6:21 AM: Three charter schools, authorized by Albuquerque Public Schools, were given the green light for another five years. But the schools are expected to create and implement academic turnaround plans.
- NM’s kids deserve education accountability
- > Dec 23, 8:38 AM: I know the power of a great education because I’ve been lifted up my entire life by incredible teachers who challenged and inspired me to find strong core values, fall in love with learning as a lifelong pursuit, and
- No such thing as free money
- > Dec 23, 7:54 AM: The governor’s proposal to provide free college for all eligible New Mexicans may come with strings attached for higher education institutions, such as a limit to future tuition increases they would be able to approve.
- Column: NM educators want rigorous job evaluations
- > Dec 2, 8:34 AM: In response to previous editorials posted in local newspaper outlets over the last few months, which have taken a somewhat dim view of our work, the N.M. Public Education Department Teacher Evaluation Task Force would like
- New Mexico small schools seeing funds vanish
- Dec 2, 8:14 AM: Small public schools and charter schools in more heavily populated areas of New Mexico have been relying in recent years on extra funding from the state that some lawmakers say was never meant for them.
- Education secretary tries to reassure charter schools concerned about losing state funds
- Nov 21, 6:25 AM: Public Education Department Secretary Ryan Stewart is trying to reassure charter school operators who are worried support for their schools is waning from both the legislative and executive branches.
- Advocates slam school districts for falling short on survey
- > Nov 18, 6:46 AM: As part of this year’s budget process, school districts around the state were asked to identify what services they’re using to improve academic success for at-risk students. It was one of the questions on a Public
- Opinion: PED head should embrace, ensure choice
- > Nov 13, 7:17 AM: Despite overwhelming popularity among New Mexican families and students, New Mexico’s public charter schools have been under attack for much of the past decade. This fall, 27,000 students are attending public charter
- Voz Academy will bring innovation to education
- > Nov 13, 7:07 AM: Ask anyone about their middle school experience and you will hear a variety of experiences – some positive, but many fraught with awkwardness, insecurity, academic struggle and challenging peer dynamics. They have often
- Students are thriving at charter schools
- > Nov 4, 9:17 AM: Our son and one daughter graduated from D-graded public schools. Our other daughter graduated from a private school. I thank their schools and those hardworking teachers for nurturing our children and making them “college
- New Mexico teachers evaluated under revamped criteria
- > Oct 25, 6:22 AM: Annual performance evaluations are done and have been delivered to nearly 20,000 public school teachers across New Mexico as the state places a new emphasis on classroom observations by principals and leaves out student
- Charter School Serving Adults Seeks Higher Ed Funds To Stay Open
- Oct 25, 6:12 AM: Gordon Bernell Charter School fills a gap in New Mexico’s education system, helping adults in jail or who have previously been incarcerated to build the skills they need to finish high school.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KRQE.com 100%
- Ruidoso News - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- AlbuquerqueNews.net / KASA.com 33%
- Silver City Sun-News - Online 33%