- Opinion: Fight poor results, not good charter schools
- > Sep 9, 7:14 AM: When Voz Collegiate Preparatory Charter School was unexpectedly denied a charter outright at the Albuquerque Public Schools’ board meeting (Aug. 21), founder Isaac Rivas-Savell wasn’t the only one who felt a sense of
- Commentary: New PED Secretary Personally Knows Power of School Choice
- > Aug 30, 5:51 AM: Commentary: Like all New Mexicans, we at the Rio Grande Foundation want to see an improved K-12 system in place. I have two daughters in traditional public school. While concerned about the quick turnover at the top of the
- Online school gives New Mexico students alternative to traditional brick-and-mortar
- > Aug 27, 6:40 AM: Attending a brick-and-mortar school isn't the best option for some students in New Mexico. Those students have found success in online courses offered through the Pecos Connections Academy, a tuition-free online public
- New Mexico Public Education Commission Denies Application Of Proposed Los Alamos Charter School
- > Aug 23, 5:34 AM: The New Mexico Public Education Commission voted to deny the charter school application of Polaris School at a hearing this morning at the Public Education Building in Santa Fe. The Commission voted against approval on a
- Gov. Lujan Grisham admin. defends education priorities amid low student test scores
- Jul 30, 7:45 AM: The governor’s administration is defending their education plans despite a test showing 32.7% of all New Mexico students are proficient in reading and 20.3% tested proficient in math.
- New Mexico’s acting head of public education says she is committed to changes
- > Jul 26, 7:05 AM: But Bobroff — whose career as an educator, particularly as head of a successful Albuquerque charter school for Native American children that has long drawn admiration within New Mexico education circles — seemed to take
- Governor fires public education secretary
- Jul 23, 6:22 AM: Just six months after appointing Karen Trujillo as New Mexico’s public education chief, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham fired her from the high-profile job Monday for not meeting expectations.
- PEC Hears Pitch For Local Polaris Charter School
- Jul 19, 7:56 AM: A proposed new charter school for Los Alamos, Polaris Charter School, was the subject of a Community Input Meeting conducted by the New Mexico Public Education Commission Tuesday at UNM-Los Alamos.
- Editorial: NM parents deserve data on their school’s academic performance
- > Jul 16, 6:40 AM: Now that the U.S. Department of Education has approved New Mexico’s request to drop its established A-F school grading system in favor of under-construction school dashboards, it is essential the Public Education
- Editorial: Jail charter school a good lesson in second chances
- > Jun 17, 6:02 AM: Beaming parents, airborne caps, black gowns and orange jumpsuits – the story and photos of the 2019 graduating class of Gordon Bernell Charter School that appeared in the June 7 Journal were uplifting enough to melt even
- New possibilities await grads finishing charter school in MDC
- > Jun 7, 6:54 AM: Betty Lucero traveled to Albuquerque from Colorado by bus to watch her son Daniel Lucero graduate at Metropolitan Detention Center. "It’s a very big thing,” she said, tears forming in her eyes. “He’s one of the few high
- Las Cruces charter schools feel bite from new legislation
- > Jun 6, 7:03 AM: Over seven years operating in Las Cruces, New America School has graduated 495 students, of whom 165 were age 22 or older — over 33 percent of its alumni. The oldest student in the school's history was 66 years old. Now
- Editorial: State strips accountability from teacher evaluations
- > May 8, 6:41 AM: Last week, New Mexico’s K-12 public school classrooms were transported back to Lake Wobegon – where all the teachers are strong and all the students are above average. Regardless of the data. Oh, and Gov. Michelle Lujan
- Editorial: State continues war on successful charter schools
- Apr 26, 4:49 AM: Consider it another victory in the war against high-quality charter schools in New Mexico. But it’s a loss for our students.
- PED cuts funding from 2nd MAS charter school
- Apr 22, 7:29 AM: A local charter school’s leader is criticizing changes from the Public Education Department that will affect the school’s funding for next school year.
- Backlash against San Antonio ISD’s direction fuels election challenges
- > Apr 15, 7:02 AM: Turnaround efforts in the San Antonio Independent School District have drawn state and national attention — but also opposition, and candidates for three board seats are sharply divided over Superintendent Pedro Martinez’s
- Gov. OKs education overhaul
- > Apr 4, 6:05 AM: New Mexico’s public education system is in line for some big changes, after Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham signed into law Wednesday bills increasing starting teacher pay levels, extending school years and revising the
- La Academia Dolores Huerta charter school wins renewal on appeal
- > Mar 27, 6:37 AM: New Mexico’s new secretary of education, Karen Trujillo, has granted a reprieve to La Academia Dolores Huerta, a Las Cruces charter school, after renewal of its charter was voted down by the state Public Education
- APS Board votes to revoke La Resolana’s charter
- Mar 21, 5:13 AM: After nearly two hours of testimony and presentations, the Albuquerque Public Schools Board of Education decided to revoke the charter of La Resolana Leadership Academy, effectively moving toward closure.
- Column: NM taking a giant leap in reforming education
- > Mar 15, 6:32 AM: With the Senate’s comprehensive education bill now on the way to the governor and the duplicate House version likely on its way by the time you read this, the Legislature has made great progress toward addressing the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KRQE.com 100%
- Ruidoso News - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- AlbuquerqueNews.net / KASA.com 33%
- Silver City Sun-News - Online 33%