- A Newark Student Dreams of Succeeding in College, but First "Boot Camp"
- > Sep 20, 7:09 AM: That grueling schedule had become Reddick’s life ever since he earned a diploma from Newark’s Central High School in June and, days later, started a six-week summer program at Rutgers University-Newark. Known around campus
- Charter school parents intervene in desegregation lawsuit. ‘Don’t scapegoat our schools,' they say.
- > Sep 20, 6:53 AM: We share the lawsuit’s goal of providing every child in New Jersey with a good school regardless of where they live or how much money they make. However, we intervened into this lawsuit because it mistakenly blames public
- For one Newark charter school not in session, the clock is ticking
- > Sep 16, 7:14 AM: The struggling charter failed to open on time for the 2019-2020 school year, and now its students are being bussed out to various community centers throughout the state. While the school is asking for parents’ patience and
- New Jersey first in nation to give all students access to arts education in public schools
- Sep 10, 5:44 AM: New Jersey has become the first state in the nation to provide access to arts education in every public school, Gov. Phil Murphy announced Monday during a visit to Paramus High School.
- Use the n-word in front of kids, and tenure still has your back? | Editorial
- > Sep 6, 7:18 AM: Even a relatively new law aimed at helping districts remove teachers like this can’t prevent every bad decision. Let’s break down the logical leaps, for those who strain to understand why a man who used a racist slur still
- How much did each NJ school district spend per student? See the breakdown here
- Aug 19, 6:42 AM: New Jersey school districts spent an average of $21,866 per pupil in the 2017-18 school year, up 4.9 percent from the year before, according to a new state report.
- New Contract Raises Newark Teacher Salaries, Ends Performance Pay
- > Aug 15, 7:50 AM: The contract eliminates provisions that tied teachers’ pay to their ratings, which are based on classroom observations and student test scores. Those pay-for-performance provisions were hailed as groundbreaking when they
- Neptune blocks charter school campus at former Holy Innocents School
- Aug 15, 7:10 AM: The township zoning board has blocked the opening of a new charter school campus at the location of the former Holy Innocents School in Neptune, which closed earlier this year.
- Link Community Charter School Class of 2019 Awarded over $6.5 Million in Financial Aid
- > Aug 8, 7:11 AM: Link Community Charter School announces the graduates in the Class of 2019 have been awarded over $6.5 million dollars in academic scholarships and financial aid for competitive private high schools. The amount is the
- Op-Ed: Addressing Inequities in NJ's Public Schools Is Moral Imperative
- > Aug 5, 5:58 AM: In an education context, it means understanding that each child has different needs. Each child may require different supports to have equitable and fair access to education and career opportunities. We unfortunately also
- N.J. wants colleges to explain what the heck students are paying for
- > Jul 31, 5:42 AM: New Jersey hasn’t been able to rein in the rising cost of higher education, but it at least wants colleges to better explain why they cost so much money. Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver on Tuesday signed a new law requiring public
- Against all odds, Camden schools make big strides | Editorial
- > Jul 23, 5:25 AM: And according to a new study out of Stanford University, the Camden schools revamped under charter management are now starting to close the gap. They remain well behind state averages, but they are making faster gains in
- Judge tosses petition to nullify 4-year contract with Jersey City teachers
- > Jul 11, 5:44 AM: Schapiro is the last remaining board member who was aligned with Parents for Progress, a group of education reform-minded parents that controlled the board for a number of years until candidates backed by the JCEA won
- School district must pay for students who attend out-of-town charter schools
- > Jul 3, 6:04 AM: The superintendent of the Manalapan-Englishtown Regional School District said he disagrees with a recent ruling which compels the district to pay the tuition for students who live in Manalapan or Englishtown, but attend a
- Murphy vows to protect free community college funding in 2020 budget
- Jun 27, 8:17 AM: Gov. Phil Murphy is gearing up for a fight to increase the funding he made available last year for the state’s free community college program.
- Op-Ed: More Accountability Should Be Endgame for Charter Schools
- > Jun 27, 5:28 AM: The communities that most require wraparound services to meet the social and emotional needs of students, are those that are most likely to be negatively impacted, while their schools are educating a disproportionate
- Here’s 1 way school districts can save millions of your tax dollars
- Jun 26, 7:05 AM: Mark Finkelstein says public schools now have a terrific opportunity to reclaim a substantial amount of taxpayer money that could be used to hire more teachers and/or to stabilize the school tax rate.
- Newark’s schools have clearly improved, researcher says. But why?
- > Jun 25, 5:29 AM: While Newark’s strong and expanding charter sector – now enrolling a third of the city’s public school students – has been responsible for some of these gains, recent improvements in test scores and graduation rates at
- What Colleges and Business Think NJ High School Graduates Need
- > Jun 24, 7:33 AM: From the birth of the movement for education standards and testing in the 1980s and 1990s, the obvious question has always come back to what exactly students should know and be able to do to succeed beyond high school.
- Op-Ed: Does NJ High School Diploma Signal Readiness for a Successful Future?
- > Jun 18, 6:07 AM: High school graduation season is in full swing across the Garden State. Students are donning caps and gowns to collect their high school diplomas while parents, educators, and community leaders stand in ceremony to
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Trentonian 100%
- Home News Tribune - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record, The 0%
- Associated Press (AP) - Trenton Bureau 17%