- As Newark schools prepare to reopen, teachers union wants COVID-19 testing for students
- Feb 24, 8:06 AM: Testing students for the coronavirus is poised to become the latest flashpoint as Newark prepares to reopen classrooms this spring.
- Parents rally for return to in-person learning as group sues N.J. district
- > Feb 23, 7:25 AM: Ten-year-old Peter Kaplan took the microphone and fired up the crowd of more than 100 fellow students and parents from the South Orange-Maplewood School District. “We’ve got to keep on going, because if we don’t now we’re
- Time to lead on learning loss | Editorial
- Feb 22, 7:12 AM: Nearly a year into this pandemic, thousands of students across the state are still not back in the classroom, and based on some alarming initial research, their learning loss will be unprecedented.
- Parent-Led Rally to Open South Orange, Maplewood Schools Planned for Feb. 22
- > Feb 22, 6:40 AM: "It’s been almost 350 days since most kids in South Orange and Maplewood have set foot in a classroom or met their teachers in person,” said Kate Walker, co-leader, in the statement. “The needs of the youngest and most
- NJ school official responds to virtual learning complaints by shaming parent
- Feb 16, 6:41 AM: The move has sparked outrage from parents, who argue that they are being unfairly targeted and retaliated against for their opposition to virtual learning policies
- N.J.’s 3rd-largest city keeping students out of classrooms until May due to COVID-19
- Feb 11, 7:17 AM: Public school students in Paterson will not return to classrooms before May 3, officials in the K-12 district announced Wednesday night.
- Paterson schools extend remote learning into May
- > Feb 11, 6:28 AM: The Paterson Board of Education has authorized Superintendent Eileen F. Shafer to continue remote learning in public schools through at least May 3. The city has not had in-person learning at all this school year.
- Union Catholic Shows Flexibility, Resiliency, Superior Technology During Snowstorm
- > Feb 10, 7:29 AM: Union Catholic demonstrated its flexibility, resiliency, and superior technological advances when the school recently navigated its way through an unprecedented set of circumstances. Contending with more than two feet of
- Column: Montclair schools are in a nasty tug-of-war with the NJEA. So why is the mayor standing with teachers? | Opinion
- > Feb 9, 7:44 AM: Montclair is in a state of chaos. The town’s school district was forced last week to cancel its in-classroom opening when the local teacher’s union chose not to show up to school at the last minute. Now, both sides, the
- State Grants Extension to Newark-based Charter School to Operate and Provide Assistance Towards Youth in Community
LEAD Charter School, an initiative of Newark Opportunity Youth Network, was granted a five-year extension by the New Jersey Department of Education on Tuesday to operate and continue to help youth and young adults in the >
Feb 3, 7:46 AM:
- NJEA Critic: Mayor Spiller 'Siding with his Union,' not Montclair
A watchdog group critical of the New Jersey Education Association has once again taken aim at Montclair’s Mayor Sean Spiller — saying his position as vice president of the powerful union is a conflict as the township’s >
Feb 3, 6:55 AM:
- We have to separate the wheat from the chaff in school choices | Opinion
- Jan 29, 7:05 AM: Part of what makes school choice essential to improving equity — in a pandemic and beyond — is the flexibility it brings families
- Want to apply to Newark charter schools? New policy requires proof you’re a resident
- Jan 27, 8:04 AM: Newark is tightening restrictions on applying to charter schools. Now, families must prove they live in the city before applying, and some have even received home visits to verify their addresses.
- 'Stop harming kids': Students, parents protest after union blocks Montclair school reopening
- > Jan 26, 8:54 AM: Students and parents gathered outside Edgemont Elementary school Monday morning for the first time since school went all-virtual last March. But the kids, carrying posters that said, "I miss my teachers and school;" "Stop
- ‘Save Our Schools’: Camden Parents Make Heartfelt Pleas To Keep Several Public Schools Open
Parents in Camden are making heartfelt pleas to save several public schools. They’re wanting the district to really see what would be lost and the toll it would take if another school is closed.
Jan 26, 8:47 AM:
- Tired of remote learning, some Jersey City school parents start petition to get kids back in the classroom
- > Jan 22, 7:44 AM: Parents and guardians pick up their children early from school as the Jersey City school district held a half-day session on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, to give staff and teachers time to meet and come up with a plan for
- One Hoboken charter school offering supervised remote learning for children of essential workers
- Jan 19, 7:13 AM: The Hoboken Dual Language Charter School is offering supervised remote learning for the children of essential workers, which they announced shortly after resuming their hybrid learning program last week.
- Vaccinating teachers won’t be enough to fully open all N.J. schools. Here’s why.
- > Jan 12, 8:04 AM: A sluggish national vaccine rollout, uncontrolled coronavirus spread in local communities, a lack of vaccination options for children and strict social distancing requirements will likely make it difficult for all
- NJ parents demanding mandatory in-person instruction in schools
- Jan 11, 8:37 AM: A growing number of parents say this is unacceptable and they are demanding state education officials and the governor require at least partial in-person instruction in all districts.
- N.J. gives school district local control after 30 years
- Jan 7, 7:12 AM: New Jersey’s takeover of Paterson Public Schools is officially over, three decades after the state seized control of the troubled district.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Trentonian 100%
- Home News Tribune - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record, The 0%
- Associated Press (AP) - Trenton Bureau 17%