- Responding to criticism, Newark announces more changes to school enrollment process
- Apr 24, 4:59 AM: Hoping to alleviate community concerns over the school district's universal enrollment system, Schools Superintendent Christopher Cerf is pushing new measures to improve the process -- and get more feedback along the way.
- School district throws Charter School under the bus
- Apr 21, 5:25 AM: The Princeton School Board is blaming the Princeton Charter School for why school taxes will go up by more than 4 percent this year.
- School rezoning plan has Jersey City parents nervous
- > Apr 19, 6:57 AM: The plan is intended to alleviate crowding in the 28,000-student school district, where some schools are so over capacity students are taught in trailers. But parents are worried about longer routes to school and separating their
- As Christie’s exit looms, 16 new charter schools want to open
- Apr 11, 4:45 AM: In what could be the final opportunity to win approval from the Christie administration, 16 new charters schools are trying to open in New Jersey.
- Princeton Charter School lottery draws big number of participants
- > Apr 7, 5:50 AM: The Princeton Charter School saw a surge in families from town trying to have their children admitted for September, despite a barrage of criticism by the Princeton school district and others against a school often seen as a
- Two charter schools submit proposals for Pemberton Township, Willingboro
- Apr 6, 5:22 AM: The Legacy Charter School for the Arts and Humanities was proposed by Helen Cook to open in Willingboro, and Michael Piscal submitted an application to open a College Achieve Burlington Charter School in Pemberton Township.
- Hamilton school board passes charter school policy to close loophole
- > Mar 29, 6:35 AM: When the Hamilton Township School District received an application for the proposed Theresa M. Fredericks STEAM Academy Charter School last year, it was filed away in a drawer. School board members never knew the New Jersey
- Paterson charter school opening in September to be led by Newark’s ‘turnaround principal
- Mar 27, 6:36 AM: The principal acclaimed for changing the academics of the Malcolm X Shabazz High School in Newark will lead the College Achieve Paterson Charter School when it opens in September.
- Hamilton Board of Education narrowly passes charter school application bylaw
- > Mar 27, 5:57 AM: Opening a new charter school in Hamilton Township was already difficult, and now it may be even tougher. That’s because the Hamilton Township Board of Education narrowly passed a bylaw giving itself a framework to potentially
- School funding concerns dominate N.J. budget debate
- > Mar 22, 7:00 AM: She called on lawmakers to remove $8.8 million Christie proposed in “hold-harmless” aid for charter schools and to excise $1 million Christie wants for a voucher program that would cover private or religious school expenses for some
- Charter school founders face scrutiny from local officials
While Linden public school officials have claimed fraud in the petitions submitted in support of the Union Arts and Science Charter School, they are also rankled by the makeup of the founding team and the emerging trustee >
Mar 20, 4:58 AM:
- Charter school issue lands on school board’s radar
- > Mar 13, 6:43 AM: The issue of charter schools, their potential expansion and impact on school districts like Hillsborough will come to the forefront later this month, as the school board plans to weigh in on an ongoing matter in nearby Franklin
- Newark Charter School Parents Head to Trenton
- Mar 10, 7:37 AM: Parents of Newark charter school students are among the hundreds of supporters who will be headed to Trenton this week to deliver a message to state lawmakers: don't stand in the way of our children's education.
- Where will students from 3 closed charter schools go?
- Mar 7, 7:47 AM: Hundreds of parents and students were left scrambling last week after news spread that the state was ordering three Newark charter schools to close at the end of the academic year.
- Englewood charter school OK’d for expansion
- Mar 7, 5:54 AM: The state approved an expansion for the Englewood on the Palisades Charter School, which will include the eighth grade by the 2018-2019 school year.
- Camden charter school says it has mayor’s support, will ‘aggressively fight’ closu
- Mar 6, 7:12 AM: The Camden charter school directed to close by June 30 is telling parents it intends to “aggressively fight” the state’s decision.
- Charter School expansion approved
- Mar 3, 7:02 AM: Princeton Charter School can expand its enrollment by 76 more pupils through a two-year-phased in period, acting-state Education Commissioner Kimberley Harrington ruled in a decision announced Wednesday.
- State denies Willingboro charter school expansion
- Mar 3, 6:27 AM: The state has denied Benjamin Banneker Preparatory Charter School's application to expand to a high school, as well as to draw students from Westampton and Edgewater Park.
- Potential litigation, but few answers in case of Camden charter school directed to close
- Mar 3, 6:12 AM: The Camden Community Charter School has been directed by the state to close by June 30. The school says it is reviewing its options, "including pursuing litigation."
- State approves expansion for four Paterson charter schools
- > Mar 2, 6:07 AM: Paterson Charter School for Science and Technology was given the biggest expansion with 516 seats. John P. Holland Charter School was given 375 additional seats. The Paterson Arts and Science Charter School received a 357-seat
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Trentonian 100%
- Home News Tribune - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record, The 0%
- Associated Press (AP) - Trenton Bureau 17%