- Opinion Newark charter schools aren’t just good. They’re ‘incredibly high performing,’
- > Jan 29, 6:52 AM: Public education is not immune to this problem. Which is why our goal at the New Jersey Children’s Foundation is to promote a fact-based discussion about education -- with a focus on our home city of Newark.
- Opinion: Neptune should drop opposition to new charter school
- > Jan 28, 7:39 AM: College Achieve Greater Asbury Park, which opened in the fall of 2017, was founded specifically to serve the children of Asbury Park and Neptune. Social justice is embedded into the mission of the school that serves
- Newark Superintendent Plans to Expel Charter School Amid Push to Expand District
- > Jan 27, 8:32 AM: In a bid to reclaim district buildings so he can expand the school system, Newark’s superintendent wants to boot a charter school from its rented space and potentially to take back properties that his predecessor sold.
- Opinion: NJ must rediscover bipartisan legacy of school choice
- > Jan 23, 7:51 AM: Running for office is hard; always has been. Being a leader and winning a nomination in a crowded field of candidates and sticking to principles? Even harder. Former presidential candidate Cory Booker’s struggle to remain
- Opinion: More research shows charter schools work, despite new calls to close them
- > Jan 16, 8:11 AM: Newark Superintendent Roger Leon started off the New Year with a bang by demanding the closure of four New Jersey charter schools and calling for the denial of any new applications for new ones, “unless the applicant shows
- Study finds Newark Charter Schools Improve Test Scores
- Jan 16, 8:08 AM: A study by a Boston University professor for a New York-based think tank has determined that attending a Newark charter school is among the most impactful education interventions studied by researchers.
- Study: Test scores higher in Newark charter, CMO schools
- > Jan 15, 7:54 AM: Students in Newark (New Jersey) Public Schools who used the district’s centralized Newark Enrolls system to choose a charter school scored higher in math and English language arts than those who attended a traditional
- College Achieve Greater Asbury Park Charter School marches for new location in Neptune
- Jan 9, 7:35 AM: More than 100 parents and students at a charter school hoping to open a campus in the township marched in protest of what they said was unfair treatment Wednesday.
- Advocates Blast Superintendent’s Call to Close Four Newark Charter Schools as ‘Unfair’ and ’Alarming’
- Jan 9, 7:14 AM: Superintendent Roger León argued that charter schools drain money from district and fail to serve fair share of students with special needs.
- Charter advocates object to León’s call to close four schools, blasting it as ‘unfair’ and ’alarming’
Charter school advocates are firing back at Superintendent Roger León after he called for the closure of four Newark charter schools last month and warn that his actions could reignite district-charter clashes.>
Jan 8, 8:26 AM:
- Seeking to Rein in Charter Sector, Newark Superintendent Urges State to Close Four Schools
- Jan 3, 8:08 AM: Charter school leader says Roger León’s call for school closures is ‘reckless and does not take into consideration what’s best for students and families.
- Reporters faced resistance at every level when researching series on charter school waste
- Dec 19, 7:14 AM: One charter school agreed to give us a tour of its high school but officials abruptly pulled the offer, saying they were advised to have their attorney answer our questions.
- How a chicken farm and arts camp became one of South Jersey’s newest charter schools
- Dec 16, 9:38 AM: For years, Appel Farm Arts and Music Center in Salem County was an arts summer camp for children and a popular destination where thousands of visitors enjoyed live music on a former chicken farm.
- Newark on Track to Regain Full Control of Its Schools Early in 2020
- Dec 10, 7:08 AM: Newark is poised to regain full control of its schools early next year, formally ending a decades-long state takeover, state officials said this week.
- Amid changing educational landscape, Camden’s eighth graders are weighing high school options
- > Dec 9, 6:17 AM: Eighth grader Melinda Martinez had pretty much decided that she wanted to enroll in a high school outside of Camden — until she made a stop at a charter school in the city during a bus tour gave her second thoughts.
- Parent Activist is Changing the Charter School Conversation
- Dec 4, 8:16 AM: It was in the spirit of what her parents did for her that Morrison has found herself smack dab in the middle of a national charter school conversation.
- Camden voted for new school board members for the first time since a state takeover — and it’s too close to call
- > Nov 6, 6:52 AM: In a hotly contested race that was too close to call, Camden residents turned out to vote for three new school board members Tuesday, the first time since a 2013 state takeover of the city’s public schools that residents
- Nine candidates vying for three positions in first Camden school board election since 2013 state takeover
- > Nov 1, 6:14 AM: For the first time since a 2013 state takeover of Camden’s public school system, voters on Tuesday will select three board members to advise Superintendent Katrina McCombs, but will have little authority on how the
- Questions Remain as Newark District and Charters Work to Reapprove School Application System
- > Oct 30, 6:32 AM: With application season for the next school year quickly approaching, Newark’s district and charter school leaders are racing to resolve their differences over the city’s shared enrollment system.
- Newark education leaders eye a new era of collaboration
- Oct 23, 5:24 AM: The Christina School District and Newark Charter School are often seen as competitors, but officials from both institutions are vowing to find ways to collaborate for the betterment of education in Newark.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Trentonian 100%
- Home News Tribune - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record, The 0%
- Associated Press (AP) - Trenton Bureau 17%