- Camden's first charter school, LEAP Academy, marks 20th year
- > Sep 20, 6:03 AM: On Tuesday, Bonilla-Santiago burst with pride as LEAP celebrated its 20th anniversary at a gathering downtown. With 1,500 students in grades pre-K through 12, it is one of the largest charter schools in New Jersey and has
- Camden Academy Charter High School Cuts Ribbon On New State-Of-The-Art Facility
- Sep 14, 6:48 AM: Right now the high school is home to 450 students. Officials say it can hold up to 600 students.
- After more than 20 years, state takeover of Newark schools is over
- Sep 14, 5:29 AM: The state Board of Education voted Wednesday to end its takeover of the Newark school district and begin the transition to return control to the locally-elected school board after 22 years.
- After More Than 20 Years, Newark to Regain Control of Its Schools
- > Sep 13, 5:07 AM: In 1995, when Marques-Aquil Lewis was in elementary school, the State of New Jersey seized control of the public schools here after a judge warned that “nepotism, cronyism and the like” had precipitated “abysmal” student
- Latest Teacher Evaluations Show Progress in 'Effective' Educators
- > Sep 11, 6:10 AM: But the report raised obvious questions and areas of concern, especially about how the system does in addressing the weakest teachers. With 98 percent of teachers found to be effective or better, is the bar high enough?
- Judgment day nears for 8 Syracuse 'struggling' schools
- Sep 8, 5:05 AM: Eight Syracuse city schools, that have been on a state watch list for two years because of poor performance, will soon learn if they have improved enough to be removed from receivership.
- Charter school finds new home in Egg Harbor Township
- Sep 6, 5:43 AM: The academy is part of the SABIS Network of charter schools that includes 70,000 students in 20 countries. The organization began in 1886.
- Are charter schools contributing to segregation? An N.J. case study
- > Aug 31, 5:36 AM: The Red Bank Charter School, one of New Jersey’s longest-running, occupies an old home joined with a former elementary school building. Its brightly decorated classrooms are filled with a mix of faces: white, Hispanic, and
- Atlantic City all-boys charter school moves toward approval
- > Aug 30, 5:09 AM: Inspired by the disparity he saw in the success of female students over male students, and thanks to legislation passed this summer, a local teacher hopes to open the state’s first single-gender charter school next year to
- New M.E.T.S. Charter School opens in Newark
- > Aug 29, 5:59 AM: Gov. Chris Christie was on hand for the official ribbon cutting. While charter school are considered to be controversial to some, the governor has been a major supporters. He says that the number of New Jersey students
- School Choice Program Vital to West Cape May
- Aug 28, 4:23 AM: The Choice Program has been critical to the success of the district’s lone school, allowing enrollments for September 2017 to grow to a projected 103 students.
- Education reform advocate and BRICK founder to open innovative new charter school
- > Aug 25, 5:56 AM: Brick and Peshine, which Lee describes as “hybrid” schools—both academies are partnerships between Lee and Newark Public Schools—were founded by Lee in 2011 and 2012, respectively, and serve close to 1500 kids in the South
- Law center urges state to reject three new Paterson charter schools
- > Aug 24, 5:52 AM: In an Aug. 14 letter, the Education Law Center wrote that the proposed new charters would worsen the ongoing financial crisis at the Paterson Board of Education and take away funds needed to educate children in
- High hopes, expectations flow as new Camden charter school opens
- > Aug 24, 5:44 AM: Officials here say the charter school is an example of a partnership between the city school district and the private company that operates the facility. Charter schools are publicly funded but privately administered. The
- Advocacy group opposes new charter schools in Paterson
- > Aug 21, 5:46 AM: The Newark-based advocacy group the Education Law Center is urging the New Jersey Department of Education to halt the spread of charter schools in Paterson. In a letter dated Aug. 14, 2017, the advocacy’s executive
- Woodland Park School Board Leases Facility To Paterson Charter
- > Aug 15, 6:34 AM: Located in Paterson and founded in 2001, the John P. Holland Charter School is a public school open to all students from Paterson on a space-available basis. It does not discriminate in its admission policies on any
- Why is Lakewood spending $32M to send kids to private school?
- > Aug 9, 6:19 AM: In Lakewood, an estimated 361 current and new special education students will be placed in private schools at the district's expense during the upcoming school year, according to the school district's budget. Another 17
- ‘Turnaround Principal’ returns to open Paterson charter school
- > Aug 8, 5:41 AM: Mills left a teaching job in Paterson in 2005 to take a position in Newark public schools. He returns to the Silk City something of a celebrity in state education circles — he has been called “the Turnaround Principal” for
- Will new Asbury Park charter school make a difference?
- > Aug 2, 5:21 AM: Proponents of a new charter school scheduled to start in the fall in the rented confines of two local churches say the initiative is a path forward for students in one of the state's most troubled school districts.
- Benjamin Banneker Charter School announces plans for new property
- Jul 31, 6:52 AM: Middle schoolers attending the Benjamin Banneker Preparatory Charter School this fall will have a much different experience than previous classes, following the purchase of the former Friends Academy.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- The Trentonian 100%
- Home News Tribune - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record, The 0%
- Associated Press (AP) - Trenton Bureau 17%