- Laxalt's education plan: Appoint school boards, boost private schools and no commerce tax
- > Apr 6, 6:10 AM: The Republican governor candidate’s eight-point plan pledges to add to the outgoing governor’s sweeping, multimillion-dollar reforms in part by renewing stalled efforts to use public funds for private school tuition.
- Governor candidate Laxalt unveils education plan for Nevada
- > Apr 5, 4:55 AM: Gubernatorial candidate Adam Laxalt unveiled his education plan Wednesday calling for extensive reforms in Nevada’s K-12 system that he says leaves too many students “stuck in schools that are failing them.
- “Hidden gem” of the community graduates 98% of students and prepares them for careers
- > Apr 4, 6:09 AM: As the director of Signature Academy and Career & Technical Education (CTE) programs, Dr. Dana Ryan said the goal is to prepare students for college and skilled careers -- and keep them engaged and having fun while they do
- Clark County School District’s Turnaround Zone brings mixed results
- Apr 2, 5:38 AM: When Frederick Watson became principal of Fitzgerald Elementary in North Las Vegas four years ago, morale was low and the one-star school was among the lowest-rated in the state in academic achievement.
- Clark County magnet schools give students opportunity to pursue passions
- > Mar 30, 7:43 AM: He had attended a different elementary school in southwest Las Vegas through third grade but it wasn't challenging enough for him. He enjoys how all the subjects at the Henderson school, which focuses on science,
- State Charter School Authority votes to shut down Argent Preparatory Academy formerly Silver State Charter School
- > Mar 26, 4:58 AM: The court-appointed receiver Joshua Kern recommended closure after two years of trying to fix perennially low graduation rates, high student turnover and falling enrollment. He told the authority board there are only 143
- Commentary: Nevada’s Opportunity Scholarships a win for students and taxpayers alike
- > Mar 23, 5:55 AM: According to the study, each time a student is awarded an Opportunity Scholarship financed by Modified Business Tax credits, the state realizes a net savings in education spending. These savings accrue proportionately to
- Twist in feud between Nevada teachers union, Clark County local
- > Mar 22, 6:15 AM: A new bylaw expected to be adopted by the Nevada teacher’s union would allow it to put local affiliates under a “trusteeship,” a move that leaders of the Clark County local see as a direct attack on them in response to an
- 2 Clark County schools ‘partnered’ with state charters
- Mar 13, 5:04 AM: Two struggling Clark County public schools have been “partnered” with state-authorized charters in a bid to improve their academic performance, state officials confirmed Monday.
- Charter opening prompts Clark County to delay new school
- Mar 9, 6:07 AM: The Clark County School District will delay construction of an elementary school in North Las Vegas after a charter school unexpectedly opened up nearby this year, relieving overcrowded area schools.
- Website helps track the progress of Las Vegas-area schools
- > Mar 6, 7:50 AM: The free tool compares schools in categories such as math and English proficiency, average ACT scores, chronic absenteeism and more for Las Vegas public schools, including charter and magnet schools. Private schools and
- Sisolak releases plan for improving K-12 education system if elected governor
- > Mar 6, 6:52 AM: Other points of his plan include allowing businesses and community organizations to “adopt a school” and banning the diversion of public education funds to private schools — a vague reference to controversial Education
- 2 Nevada charter schools face possible closure over student performance
- > Feb 19, 7:38 AM: Two troubled Nevada charter schools were put on notice by an oversight board Friday, the first step in an administrative process that could lead to their closure if they fail to improve students’ academic performance.
- Democracy Prep in Las Vegas charts new course at Agassi campus
- > Feb 12, 9:04 AM: Adam Johnson doesn’t go far without his little yellow notebook and pen. Johnson is the executive director of Democracy Prep at Agassi Campus, a K-12 school in west Las Vegas. He took charge of the public charter formerly
- State, Clark County gang up to lift underperforming schools
- > Feb 6, 6:37 AM: The retired Clark County associate superintendent is now a hired gun who serves as the interim principal for schools that have recently entered the Turnaround Zone — a longstanding district initiative aimed at improving
- New Public Charter School in South Reno Opens This Fall
- Feb 1, 7:26 AM: Doral Academy hosted it's official groundbreaking party at it's future location on Butch Cassidy Rd. across from Galena High School Wednesday afternoon.
- Nearly 5,000 more charter school seats OK’d for Clark County students
- > Jan 29, 6:46 AM: At least 4,950 more students in Clark County will have the opportunity to attend charter schools over the next two school years as a result of approvals handed out Friday by the Nevada State Public Charter Authority.
- Nevadans celebrate educational options for School Choice Week
- Jan 24, 8:43 AM: Students took center stage Tuesday — showing off everything from their singing to soccer skills — as part of a weeklong celebration of school choice in the state.
- Dueling lawsuits by local, state teachers unions head to trial
- > Jan 17, 7:14 AM: The legal dispute between the Clark County Education Association, which is an affiliate of the NSEA, and the state organization is focused on dues. But tensions between the organizations flared during the 2017 legislative
- Charter school’s first graduating class on track for 100 percent college acceptance rate
After five years of bouncing around borrowed space within the Clark County School District, the after-school program known as Scholars Working OverTime — or SWOT —evolved into its own charter school on Bonanza Road near >
Jan 8, 7:41 AM:
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%