- In do-over, 3 finalists picked for Nevada charter school agency
- Dec 11, 6:30 AM: Two new names and one familiar one are headed to the governor for consideration to lead the Nevada State Public Charter School Authority.
- Benefits threatened in Clark County, state teachers unions feud
- Nov 29, 7:23 AM: State and national labor organizations representing teachers are threatening to yank certain benefits from Clark County educators because of a feud with the local union.
- Nevada charter authority gets schooled on nominating process
- > Nov 27, 6:35 AM: The governor’s office has sent the State Public Charter School Authority back to the drawing board in its search for an executive director. If you’re over 21, understand charter schools and want to help oversee more than
- CCMS staff pitch for blended learning environments
- > Nov 22, 7:25 AM: Students at Churchill County Middle School are on their own paths to success, however, not all of them comprehend at the same pace. That's why CCMS staff is envisioning a new technique in the classroom called blended
- Nevada officials admit funding mistakes hurt school districts
- > Nov 20, 8:11 AM: Now the department is acknowledging that it erred in two calculations that financially affected school districts statewide — one on how much to reimburse for full-day kindergarten programs and another in how much it would
- Sandoval Hoping Next Governor Protects Education Investment
- Nov 20, 7:13 AM: As Nevada's gubernatorial race begins to heat up, current Republican Governor Brian Sandoval says he hopes one key piece of his legacy remains intact for the next administration.
- Accountability a question in Nevada school-choice program
- Nov 20, 6:51 AM: The law creating a tax-credit voucher program for low-income families requires the public reporting of testing data for schools in the initiative every other year starting in 2018.
- 10 Clark County schools eligible for state’s charter partnerships
- Nov 17, 6:53 AM: Ten struggling Clark County schools remain in the running to be partnered with a charter school through the state’s Achievement School District program.
- Principal holds big plans for Futuro Academy in Las Vegas
- > Nov 13, 5:56 AM: High-stakes standardized tests used to be a source of dread at Hope Charter Leadership Academy, but the high-poverty charter school near downtown Raleigh decided to take a different approach: Embrace the exams.
- Nevada Connections Academy can continue operations
- > Nov 9, 6:40 AM: Nevada Connections Academy, the embattled online charter school, will be allowed to continue operations in the state as long as it abides by strict stipulations aimed at improving its students’ academic performance.
- Charter operators OK’d for Achievement School District program
- > Nov 9, 6:29 AM: Three new charters are vying to join the Achievement School District this year, including one all-boys school, a move that would bring new players to the controversial state plan to lift up underperforming schools.
- Federal grant to let Clark County district add 3 magnet schools
- > Oct 31, 6:48 AM: The Clark County School District will use a federal grant of nearly $15 million to launch three new magnet programs, creating more seats in the specialized schools that have thousands of students on their wait lists.
- New leader of struggling Las Vegas charter school defends ‘culture change’
- > Oct 24, 5:41 AM: The newly appointed leader of struggling Discovery Charter School on Monday defended his actions, attributing the loss of more than 100 students to a “culture change” resulting from his appointment to oversee the school.
- Decision whether to close charter school Nevada Connections Academy put off
- Oct 24, 5:21 AM: The decision on whether to close Nevada Connections Academy likely won’t be made this week as officials consider another improvement plan for the embattled charter school.
- Nevada list of underperforming schools includes 44 in Clark County
- > Oct 20, 5:54 AM: The state Department of Education released both its “Shining Stars” and “Rising Stars” lists of schools on Thursday. The former are schools have shown strong academic results despite working with a large percentage of
- Nevada’s high school graduation rate climbs again, preliminary data show
- Oct 17, 6:57 AM: The number of Nevada students earning high school diplomas continues to rise, according to preliminary graduation rates released Monday by the state Department of Education.
- Nevada charter authority board submits names to Governor for next leader
- Oct 11, 5:23 AM: Three familiar names in Nevada education circles were sent to the governor Tuesday to be considered for the executive director post of the State Public Charter School Authority.
- State, local teacher unions file dueling lawsuits over money battle
- Sep 22, 6:18 AM: A money-related beef has escalated into a legal battle between the union that represents Clark County teachers and its parent organizations, further souring their already rocky relationship.
- New academy starts as man's dream, becomes reality
- Aug 30, 6:11 AM: A new charter school in an underserved area of the east part of the Las Vegas valley opened at the beginning of the school year and was already at capacity.
- State board rejects Nevada Connections Academy’s improvement plan
- > Aug 24, 4:59 AM: A state board charged with overseeing charter schools on Wednesday rejected Nevada Connections Academy’s plan to improve its graduation rate — meaning the long process to decide the school’s fate will continue into the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%