- Accountability a question in Nevada school-choice program
- Nov 20, 6:51 AM: The law creating a tax-credit voucher program for low-income families requires the public reporting of testing data for schools in the initiative every other year starting in 2018.
- 10 Clark County schools eligible for state’s charter partnerships
- Nov 17, 6:53 AM: Ten struggling Clark County schools remain in the running to be partnered with a charter school through the state’s Achievement School District program.
- Principal holds big plans for Futuro Academy in Las Vegas
- > Nov 13, 5:56 AM: High-stakes standardized tests used to be a source of dread at Hope Charter Leadership Academy, but the high-poverty charter school near downtown Raleigh decided to take a different approach: Embrace the exams.
- Nevada Connections Academy can continue operations
- > Nov 9, 6:40 AM: Nevada Connections Academy, the embattled online charter school, will be allowed to continue operations in the state as long as it abides by strict stipulations aimed at improving its students’ academic performance.
- Charter operators OK’d for Achievement School District program
- > Nov 9, 6:29 AM: Three new charters are vying to join the Achievement School District this year, including one all-boys school, a move that would bring new players to the controversial state plan to lift up underperforming schools.
- Federal grant to let Clark County district add 3 magnet schools
- > Oct 31, 6:48 AM: The Clark County School District will use a federal grant of nearly $15 million to launch three new magnet programs, creating more seats in the specialized schools that have thousands of students on their wait lists.
- New leader of struggling Las Vegas charter school defends ‘culture change’
- > Oct 24, 5:41 AM: The newly appointed leader of struggling Discovery Charter School on Monday defended his actions, attributing the loss of more than 100 students to a “culture change” resulting from his appointment to oversee the school.
- Decision whether to close charter school Nevada Connections Academy put off
- Oct 24, 5:21 AM: The decision on whether to close Nevada Connections Academy likely won’t be made this week as officials consider another improvement plan for the embattled charter school.
- Nevada list of underperforming schools includes 44 in Clark County
- > Oct 20, 5:54 AM: The state Department of Education released both its “Shining Stars” and “Rising Stars” lists of schools on Thursday. The former are schools have shown strong academic results despite working with a large percentage of
- Nevada’s high school graduation rate climbs again, preliminary data show
- Oct 17, 6:57 AM: The number of Nevada students earning high school diplomas continues to rise, according to preliminary graduation rates released Monday by the state Department of Education.
- Nevada charter authority board submits names to Governor for next leader
- Oct 11, 5:23 AM: Three familiar names in Nevada education circles were sent to the governor Tuesday to be considered for the executive director post of the State Public Charter School Authority.
- State, local teacher unions file dueling lawsuits over money battle
- Sep 22, 6:18 AM: A money-related beef has escalated into a legal battle between the union that represents Clark County teachers and its parent organizations, further souring their already rocky relationship.
- New academy starts as man's dream, becomes reality
- Aug 30, 6:11 AM: A new charter school in an underserved area of the east part of the Las Vegas valley opened at the beginning of the school year and was already at capacity.
- State board rejects Nevada Connections Academy’s improvement plan
- > Aug 24, 4:59 AM: A state board charged with overseeing charter schools on Wednesday rejected Nevada Connections Academy’s plan to improve its graduation rate — meaning the long process to decide the school’s fate will continue into the
- Online charter school presents ‘cure’ in effort to avoid closure
- > Aug 23, 4:36 AM: At its regular meeting Wednesday, the board will decide whether the latest “cure” proposed by the school for its 37 percent graduation rate — well below the 60 percent threshold set by the state — is acceptable. If they
- Choosing a virtual K-12 education
- > Aug 15, 5:11 AM: This is Sophia's second year as a student at Nevada Connections Academy. It's a free online public school. Sophia's parents decided on this over a traditional school because of her severe allergies and autoimmune
- Nevada public charter school authority gets new leader
- > Jul 31, 6:09 AM: Nevada’s State Public Charter School Authority elected a new leader Friday, filling a void created last month when two members resigned. Jason Guinasso will take over as chairman for the entity, which oversees charter
- Dues, legislation drive teachers union skirmish
- Jul 5, 7:27 AM: Differences over money and policy are putting the teachers’ union for Nevada’s biggest school district at odds with its state and national affiliate.
- Teachers union leader discusses ESAs, improving at-risk schools and more
- > Jun 14, 6:31 AM: Murillo, president of the Nevada State Education Association, was hearing rumors that lawmakers were negotiating a compromise in the defining battle of the session — the fight over Gov. Brian Sandoval’s $60 million
- Nevada scholarship program benefits from political deadlock over ESAs
- Jun 13, 5:57 AM: A small scholarship program for low-income Nevada students got a $20 million boost in funding last week when legislators couldn’t come to terms on education savings accounts, or ESAs.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%