- 2 Clark County schools ‘partnered’ with state charters
- Mar 13, 5:04 AM: Two struggling Clark County public schools have been “partnered” with state-authorized charters in a bid to improve their academic performance, state officials confirmed Monday.
- Charter opening prompts Clark County to delay new school
- Mar 9, 6:07 AM: The Clark County School District will delay construction of an elementary school in North Las Vegas after a charter school unexpectedly opened up nearby this year, relieving overcrowded area schools.
- Website helps track the progress of Las Vegas-area schools
- > Mar 6, 7:50 AM: The free tool compares schools in categories such as math and English proficiency, average ACT scores, chronic absenteeism and more for Las Vegas public schools, including charter and magnet schools. Private schools and
- Sisolak releases plan for improving K-12 education system if elected governor
- > Mar 6, 6:52 AM: Other points of his plan include allowing businesses and community organizations to “adopt a school” and banning the diversion of public education funds to private schools — a vague reference to controversial Education
- 2 Nevada charter schools face possible closure over student performance
- > Feb 19, 7:38 AM: Two troubled Nevada charter schools were put on notice by an oversight board Friday, the first step in an administrative process that could lead to their closure if they fail to improve students’ academic performance.
- Democracy Prep in Las Vegas charts new course at Agassi campus
- > Feb 12, 9:04 AM: Adam Johnson doesn’t go far without his little yellow notebook and pen. Johnson is the executive director of Democracy Prep at Agassi Campus, a K-12 school in west Las Vegas. He took charge of the public charter formerly
- State, Clark County gang up to lift underperforming schools
- > Feb 6, 6:37 AM: The retired Clark County associate superintendent is now a hired gun who serves as the interim principal for schools that have recently entered the Turnaround Zone — a longstanding district initiative aimed at improving
- New Public Charter School in South Reno Opens This Fall
- Feb 1, 7:26 AM: Doral Academy hosted it's official groundbreaking party at it's future location on Butch Cassidy Rd. across from Galena High School Wednesday afternoon.
- Nearly 5,000 more charter school seats OK’d for Clark County students
- > Jan 29, 6:46 AM: At least 4,950 more students in Clark County will have the opportunity to attend charter schools over the next two school years as a result of approvals handed out Friday by the Nevada State Public Charter Authority.
- Nevadans celebrate educational options for School Choice Week
- Jan 24, 8:43 AM: Students took center stage Tuesday — showing off everything from their singing to soccer skills — as part of a weeklong celebration of school choice in the state.
- Dueling lawsuits by local, state teachers unions head to trial
- > Jan 17, 7:14 AM: The legal dispute between the Clark County Education Association, which is an affiliate of the NSEA, and the state organization is focused on dues. But tensions between the organizations flared during the 2017 legislative
- Charter school’s first graduating class on track for 100 percent college acceptance rate
After five years of bouncing around borrowed space within the Clark County School District, the after-school program known as Scholars Working OverTime — or SWOT —evolved into its own charter school on Bonanza Road near >
Jan 8, 7:41 AM:
- Accountability a question in Nevada school-choice program
- Jan 4, 6:40 AM: Standardized tests are a given in public school, and they‘re mandatory for Nevada private schools participating in the state‘s budding school-choice program.
- Parents irked with CCSD denial of online learning options
- > Dec 29, 7:14 AM: State law requires that students who want to enroll in distance education programs run by other school districts get permission from their own. Clark County School District has not approved such transfers. The district has
- School-choice advocates bring the education conversation to residents' doorsteps
- > Dec 26, 8:47 AM: He is coalition director for the LIBRE Institute, which launched an educational campaign in September that involved canvassing, digital advertising and websites chock-full of information about school choice in Nevada. The
- Lawsuit to force Nevada to alter education funding only ‘a matter of time’
- > Dec 26, 8:09 AM: Nevada could soon join the ranks of states that have been sued over the way they fund public education. Education activist groups and other parties already have filed such court challenges in 45 states, and several public
- 10 struggling Clark County schools still eligible for state intervention
- > Dec 15, 6:12 AM: Ten underperforming Clark County schools remain in the running for state intervention through the Achievement School District charter school initiative after a unanimous vote Thursday by the Nevada State Board of
- Charter school authorization process puts Clark County in a bind
- Dec 13, 7:21 AM: A new charter school will open up in the fall — or maybe next year — with the capacity for almost 1,000 students in a yet-to-be determined location in Clark County.
- In do-over, 3 finalists picked for Nevada charter school agency
- Dec 11, 6:30 AM: Two new names and one familiar one are headed to the governor for consideration to lead the Nevada State Public Charter School Authority.
- Benefits threatened in Clark County, state teachers unions feud
- Nov 29, 7:23 AM: State and national labor organizations representing teachers are threatening to yank certain benefits from Clark County educators because of a feud with the local union.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%