- Judge blocks regulator from moving to shut Nevada Virtual Academy
- > Nov 18, 7:33 AM: A judge has issued a temporary restraining order to block a potential closure of the online Nevada Virtual Academy charter school until a lawsuit alleging that the State Public Charter School Authority imposed unlawful
- Clark County schools begin new push to increase academic performance
- > Nov 18, 6:51 AM: The Clark County School District is beefing up efforts to reach ambitious academic proficiency goals by 2024 with increased testing throughout the year and a new learning tool designed to lift lagging students.
- Report ranks Nevada middle of the road for rural education
- > Nov 7, 7:53 AM: A new report shows a mixed bag of results when it comes to educating students in Nevada’s more far-flung locales, identifying improved test scores as a bright spot but low college readiness as a challenge.
- Opinion: Our schools don’t lack accountability, they lack proper funding
- > Oct 31, 6:32 AM: Recently, the Las Vegas Review-Journal ran a commentary by Robert Fellner from the right-wing Nevada Policy Research Institute. Fellner claimed Nevada’s education woes are a result of a lack of accountability, not
- 17 Nevada charter schools on notice over performance17 Nevada charter schools on notice over performance
- > Oct 7, 5:31 AM: The State Public Charter School Authority put 12 charter schools on a notice of concern Friday after the latest star rating results from 2018-19 showed low performance and gave five more schools a notice of breach of
- Nevada State College forum examines education challenges
- > Oct 4, 6:36 AM: At a Nevada State College event focused on minority students in higher education, Rep. Susie Lee, D-Nev., and House Education and Labor Committee Chairman Bobby Scott emphasized that a college education is still the key to
- 3 principals removed from struggling Clark County schools
- > Oct 1, 5:53 AM: Clark County School District leaders have removed three principals at underperforming middle schools participating in a new “innovative schools” pilot program after they failed to improve academic performance.
- Nevada Connections Academy to close elementary grades
- > Sep 19, 6:10 AM: The online Nevada Connections Academy charter school will shutter its elementary grades at the end of this school year following the state’s latest accountability ratings that once again puts its elementary school in the
- As school ratings show some statewide gains, education officials call for more sharing of best practices
- Sep 16, 7:21 AM: More than half of Nevada schools are meeting or exceeding performance standards, according to data released late Sunday by the Nevada Department of Education.
- Teachers’ union votes to approve contract agreement with CCSD
- > Sep 11, 7:28 AM: The teacher’s union voted Tuesday to approve its contract agreement with the Clark County School District. The approval occurred on what would have been strike day, had the union and the district not reached a tentative
- COMMENTARY: Nevada’s neediest families deserve school choice
- > Sep 9, 4:50 AM: Parents are fed up. Our kids are in the middle of this debacle and they are paying an enormous price. Parents are tired of waiting for the chronic problems to be fixed and are motivated to explore other educational
- Hundreds enroll in new College Opportunity Program through MGM
- > Sep 6, 7:48 AM: More than 250 MGM Resorts International employees have enrolled in the first semester of the company’s College Opportunity Program. The program provide free college access for employees through the Nevada System of Higher
- Opinion: Time to renew promise of educational opportunity for all
- > Aug 30, 8:17 AM: As we begin another school year, which is now under a cloud — again — of insufficient funding, I make the commitment that I will do what I was sent to Washington to do: make sure that education is a national priority and
- Students losing Opportunity Scholarships following legislative changes, in spite of efforts to soften blow
- > Aug 30, 5:32 AM: Zuleika Parra had been a stay-at-home mom for the past four years, raising four boys ages two to seven and sending the oldest one to St. Christopher Catholic School in Las Vegas with help from the state-sanctioned
- School district, union reach tentative contract agreement and avert teacher strike
- > Aug 29, 6:58 AM: The Clark County School District and the local teachers’ union announced a tentative contract agreement late Wednesday afternoon that honors pay raises tied to professional development, averting a possible strike that
- Clouds Gather For Looming CCSD Teacher Strike
- Aug 28, 7:48 AM: Upheaval at the Clark County School District (CCSD) was once again in the news last week as an ongoing labor dispute between the district and the Clark County Education Association (CCEA) came to a head.
- Column: Here’s who to blame for threatened CCSD teacher strike
- > Aug 28, 7:27 AM: On Monday, Jara and the district wisely filed for a court injunction in hopes of heading off a strike. They want to work through the collective bargaining process. Ironically, that process favors unions, at least those
- Clark County School District files for injunction to stop teacher strike, union responds
- Aug 27, 5:23 AM: The Clark County School District filed a request for an injunction with the courts to stop what it says would be a “crippling strike” that would devastate Nevada.
- Sisolak lambastes school district, Jara over looming strike; district serves mediation letter to teachers' union
- > Aug 26, 8:08 AM: Gov. Steve Sisolak excoriated Clark County School District leaders during a press conference Friday over a breakdown in negotiations for additional pay for teachers who completed certain professional development — an
- As charter schools multiply, teachers at traditional public schools have a choice — stay or go?
- > Aug 26, 7:44 AM: Charter leaders say their schools certainly aren’t immune to Nevada’s teacher shortage issue. They have to work just as hard to attract and retain educators, and vacancies happen. But as charter schools multiplied in
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%