- Local 'parent union' aims to give collective voice for Nevada families in public education
- Aug 31, 7:39 AM: Many parents in Clark County say they're fed up with distance learning. So much so, they announced their intent to form a union during a Thursday night protest with non-profit group Power2Parent.
- Parents group protests CCSD’s use of distance education
- Aug 28, 7:14 AM: More than 100 people attended a protest Thursday night opposing the Clark County School District’s use of distance learning amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- North Las Vegas debuts ‘microschool,’ home-school options
- > Aug 26, 5:32 AM: Hundreds of children started their first day of school on Monday at North Las Vegas’ Southern Nevada Urban Micro Academy. The program has 328 students attending one of three facilities in the city. Roughly 60 percent are
- Letter: More school choice doesn’t look so bad now, does it?
- > Aug 24, 6:30 AM: Few of us have any real options because our politicians have gone out of their way to make sure that is the case. As a result of their purposeful misrepresentation and ardent arguments against the institution of charter
- Might online instruction widen the learning gap?
- > Aug 20, 6:57 AM: The Clark County School District’s abrupt shift to digital learning in mid-March was especially tough on lower-income and minority students. Reportedly, nearly one-third of all students stopped learning because they didn’t
- Charter schools, including one launching this year, make the pivot to distance education
- > Aug 12, 5:51 AM: The pivot to distance education was the latest twist in GALS’ unorthodox journey to open amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The new charter school — housed in a Boys & Girls Club near UNLV — will be the state’s first girls-only
- Grassroots effort to bridge the digital divide ahead of the new school year gains steam
- > Aug 3, 7:23 AM: When COVID-19 shuttered schools in the spring, the Flores family received a district-issued Chromebook for the siblings to share. But the logistics proved less than ideal: Flores, then a fifth-grader, and her middle
- Las Vegas-based online public charter academy sees spike in enrollment
- > Aug 3, 7:00 AM: As the Clark County School District prepares to start the school year with full distance learning, the Nevada Virtual Academy, that's always been online, says it's expanded enrollment because of increased interest in its
- Las Vegas charter school provides blueprint for student success doing distance learning
- > Jul 28, 7:00 AM: 13 Action News talked to a former student and current superintendent at Delta Academy, a tuition-free, public Las Vegas Charter School that's offered distance learning for years. They both believe the lessons they've
- Most Nevada charter schools opting for hybrid education in fall
- Jul 27, 7:26 AM: Many Nevada public charter schools are aiming to use a hybrid model — a combination of in-person and distance education — when they reopen in August.
- Reports show teacher’s union backed tax proposals flush with cash, amendment initiatives less so
- > Jul 23, 8:22 AM: The Clark County Education Association has funneled more than $600,000 into two PACs in an effort to raise gaming and sales taxes, but with deadlines for procuring signatures quickly approaching, no other initiatives have
- Budget bill passes Assembly with bipartisan support with amendment allocating $50 million toward K-12 ‘alternative intensive instruction’
- > Jul 20, 7:32 AM: The Assembly approved an omnibus budget bill a second time Sunday morning, this time with an amendment allocating tens of millions of dollars in federal coronavirus relief funding toward boosting alternative education
- Letter: Teacher union plan to boost Clark County sales tax a nonstarter
- > Jul 8, 7:58 AM: There is never a good time for a sales tax increase (“Teachers have window to end union membership,” July 1 Victor Joecks commentary), especially raising the levy to 9.875 percent. Certainly, the increase would not help
- A third of CCSD families might choose online-only schooling this fall. Here’s why
- > Jul 6, 5:49 AM: The Clark County School District reopening proposal calls for in-person learning two days a week and online learning for three. There is also the option for online-only instruction, which a CCSD survey shows 30% of
- Explore Academy opening charter school in the northwest in August, free with no waiting list
- Jul 1, 6:54 AM: There is a brand new charter school opening in August in the northwest part of town. Explore Academy is geared towards middle school-aged children and it’s free, with no waiting list.
- Nevada charter schools will create their own reopening plans
- Jun 29, 7:10 AM: The Nevada State Public Charter School Authority board decided Friday that each individual school it sponsors will develop its own reopening plan for the upcoming school year amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Column: Schools depend on technology for remote learning
- Jun 15, 6:48 AM: When Clark County closed all of our district’s schools for the remainder of this past school year, we understood students could not just forgo education for the majority of the semester.
- More than 4,300 students had no contact with CCSD after March 15
- Jun 12, 6:29 AM: Just over 4,300 Clark County School District students had no contact with the district from the time schools were closed on March 15 to the end of the school year on May 20, representatives said Friday.
- Sisolak says Nevada schools can reopen facilities immediately
- Jun 10, 6:53 AM: Gov. Steve Sisolak on Tuesday signed a directive allowing Nevada schools to reopen buildings and athletic facilities immediately, ending a nearly three-month closure triggered by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Pandemic could be boon or bust for charter school enrollment
- > Jun 8, 7:44 AM: Rebecca Garcia has noticed a significant uptick in the number of social media advertisements for alternative schooling: online schools, charter schools, companies selling homeschool curriculum. Such companies have always
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%