- Dues, legislation drive teachers union skirmish
- Jul 5, 7:27 AM: Differences over money and policy are putting the teachers’ union for Nevada’s biggest school district at odds with its state and national affiliate.
- Teachers union leader discusses ESAs, improving at-risk schools and more
- > Jun 14, 6:31 AM: Murillo, president of the Nevada State Education Association, was hearing rumors that lawmakers were negotiating a compromise in the defining battle of the session — the fight over Gov. Brian Sandoval’s $60 million Education Savings
- Nevada scholarship program benefits from political deadlock over ESAs
- Jun 13, 5:57 AM: A small scholarship program for low-income Nevada students got a $20 million boost in funding last week when legislators couldn’t come to terms on education savings accounts, or ESAs.
- ESA blame game splits Nevada GOP
- Jun 12, 5:46 AM: Nevada Republicans are split over who is to blame for the failure to fund the state’s dormant education savings accounts.
- Nevada Republicans may have lost ESAs now, but fight isn’t over
- Jun 7, 5:12 AM: The battle may have been lost on Education Savings Accounts in the 2017 session of the Nevada Legislature, but the war will continue in the next go-round for lawmakers in 2019.
- Sandoval: ESA talks went ‘as far as they could,’ not worth a government shutdown
- Jun 6, 5:16 AM: Senate Bill 544 and several other budget bills were signed on the last day of the session after the Legislature passed a pot tax and other pieces of legislation caught up in the ESA funding fight.
- Nevada Senate reaches deal to end budget stalemate
- > Jun 5, 6:18 AM: Under the deal, a one-time addition of $20 million in available tax credits will be made to expand funding for Opportunity Scholarships. The program is supported by businesses that receive tax breaks in exchange for tax credits
- Nevada Legislature mired in partisan standoff over controversial ESAs
- Jun 5, 5:05 AM: The Nevada Legislature found itself in a high-stakes standoff Saturday that could put a $270 million hole in the upcoming general fund budget.
- Legislature meltdown: Democrats blow up ESA deal, Sandoval vetoes bills
- Jun 2, 5:14 AM: Fireworks lit up the Senate floor Thursday afternoon, and the explosions blew up a deal for Education Savings Accounts.
- Silver State Charter School says goodbye to 38 members of the Class of 2017
- Jun 1, 6:10 AM: Silver State Charter School celebrated 38 graduates Wednesday night with warm wishes toward the future while reminiscing on the stories they shared over the past four years.
- Non-takeover options added to charter legislation
- > May 31, 5:47 AM: New provisions will be added to the Achievement School District program, under an amendment to Senate Bill 430. The bill originally sought to dismantle the program, which was created to partner up to six underperforming schools with
- Fate of Nevada Connections Academy remains undecided
- May 30, 5:43 AM: A three-day meeting wasn’t long enough for both the Nevada State Public Charter School Authority and Nevada Connections Academy to decide the online K-12 charter’s fate.
- Education savings accounts get hearing but no action in Carson City
- > May 30, 5:06 AM: Education savings accounts, a Republican priority allowing parents to tap state funding to send their children to private schools, received a long-awaited hearing Monday as lawmakers try to end a stalemate and avoid sending the 2017
- Hearing could lead to closure of Nevada online charter school
- May 26, 6:20 AM: Nevada Connections Academy was first put on notice in September that the authority would consider closing it because of poor graduation rates.
- Emergency bill would ensure CCSD pays educators who complete professional development plans
- May 25, 6:17 AM: Senate Majority Leader Aaron Ford plans to introduce an emergency bill that would require the Clark County School District to stash funds to pay teachers and principals who complete a professional development program.
- Las Vegas valley school teacher trying to start a charter school from scratch
- May 24, 5:06 AM: A Las Vegas valley school teacher is taking on the daunting task of offering a better education to dozens of children, and he says he has a unique approach.
- Panel signs off on major spending plan for Nevada schools
- > May 19, 6:25 AM: A Legislative budget subcommittee on Thursday signed off on a big chunk of the public schools budget for the coming two years, voting to include $63 million in revenue from a new 10 percent retail tax on recreational marijuana as
- Nevada GOP leader vows no vote on budget without ESA money
- May 3, 6:02 AM: Nevada Assembly Minority Leader Paul Anderson said Tuesday he and his caucus will vote against the state budget if it does not include funding for education savings accounts.
- Nevada Democratic leaders giving little thought to Sandoval’s ESA bill
- May 1, 6:23 AM: Democratic leadership said Friday they have not given much consideration this session to Gov. Brian Sandoval’s education savings account bill.
- Cancela looks to close prevailing wage loophole for charter schools
- > Apr 27, 5:03 AM: Achievement School District charters would have to meet the same prevailing wage standard public schools pay when undertaking major capital projects, according to a proposal laid out in the Nevada Assembly’s education committee
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%