- Nevada higher education leaders aim to close achievement gap for minority students
- > Jul 9, 5:56 AM: The student population at Nevada’s higher education institutions consistently are some of the nation’s most diverse, including at UNLV, which U.S. News & World Report ranks as the nation’s most diverse campus.
- Clark County schools to join pilot program for personalized learning
- Jul 8, 6:34 AM: The Clark County School District says it will join a pilot program that aims to bring personalized learning and assessment to classrooms.
- Charter schools excluded from controversial funding boost
- > Jun 26, 7:30 AM: Was it intentional? That’s the question circling the charter school community in the aftermath of the passage of an education funding bill that provides additional money to all of the state’s public school districts but
- Editorial An opportunity for Nevada Republicans on school choice
- > Jun 21, 5:20 AM: Thousands of students flocking to apply for a scholarship that allows them to escape their struggling public schools. Opposition from entrenched education interests and Democratic politicians. A successful effort to
- For Opportunity Scholarships, no fiscal cliff after legislative session, but no new enrollees either
- > Jun 14, 5:13 AM: The Nevada Department of Education is notifying scholarship organizations and private schools that no new students will be allowed in the Opportunity Scholarship program — even if they have siblings on the scholarship — in
- Hundreds take MGM up on offer to pay employees’ college tuition
- > Jun 13, 7:32 AM: Lisel Westlake hadn’t thought about pursuing higher education until she realized it would be imperative to her career. She realized she needed to do something. But barriers like cost and scheduling always stood in her
- MGM employees can go to college for free through Nevada partnership
- > Jun 12, 7:09 AM: MGM is the first company to partner with an entire system of higher education, including its research universities and community colleges, according to Nevada System of Higher Education spokesman Francis McCabe.
- Opinion: Opportunity Scholarships show Nevada already has adequate education funding
- > Jun 7, 5:01 AM: For decades, the education establishment has insisted that spending more is the key to increasing student achievement. Politicians have bought into that premise. Four years ago, Nevada passed the largest tax increase in
- Graduates from Nevada Connections Academy explain why they attended high school online
- Jun 5, 7:49 AM: Tuesday was a big day for seniors who attended Nevada Connections Academy because students enrolled in the online public school finally received their high school diploma.
- Legislature passes additional education funding, new formula
- > Jun 4, 8:11 AM: Nevada Democrats seemed determined Monday to pass their education platform, and they weren’t going to let anything stop them — not the minority party, not public comments, not the clock ticking down to their sine die
- Analysis: Venomous politics once again surround ESAs in Nevada
- > Jun 4, 6:23 AM: Nevada’s Education Savings Accounts were born and reared amid heated political rancor, and on Monday it appeared the controversial voucher-type program was on its way to dying in a similarly contentious manner.
- Column: Soifer talks about prospects for school choice as Legislature winds down Volume 0% Loading ad
- > May 31, 5:31 AM: Many students using Opportunity Scholarships will lose their funding within the next two years unless the Legislature acts. It’s one of the most popular education programs in the state, creating a disconnect between what
- Brett McFadden: We’re not teaching ‘cookie-cutter’ kids
- > May 30, 7:24 AM: The Nevada Joint Union High School District understands we cannot operate the way we did 30 years ago. We are not teaching “cookie-cutter” kids. As students and their challenges change, so must the ways we provide and
- School district's expansion of its online distance education program will generate funding
- > May 30, 6:39 AM: For the current school year, the district is using Edgenuity, an online learning platform to allow students who are behind to recover credits, students who are ahead to accelerate credits and long-term suspended students
- Editorial: Teacher evaluations should measure teaching ability
- May 28, 6:41 AM: If you need another example of how the education establishment works to scuttle much-needed reform, look no further than what has happened over the past eight years with Nevada teacher evaluations.
- EDITORIAL: Legislative Democrats burden school districts with higher costs
- > May 24, 6:22 AM: Obviously, Nevada’s public school funding “crisis” isn’t as acute as advertised. State taxpayers are scolded ad infinitum that more money, money, money is the solution to all of Nevada’s education pathologies, particularly
- Column: Parents fighting to save Opportunity Scholarships
When public schools are failing, the education establishment cries it needs more money. When Opportunity Scholarships succeed, many of those people insist on cutting their funding.
May 22, 5:23 AM:
- Nevada school funding reform: Nevada lawmakers just introduced the biggest bill of 2019
- May 14, 5:41 AM: An eagerly awaited overhaul of Nevada’s school funding system hit the state Senate floor with a bang on Monday, winning loud opposition from critics who see it as an assault on rural school districts.
- Editorial: CCSD needs prepare to prevent teachers from striking
- > May 13, 7:33 AM: A dispute between adults shouldn’t hinder the amount of time students spend in the classroom. Yet that could be the ramification for the Clark County Education Association’s irresponsible strike threats.
- Bill still under wraps, but details emerging about proposed school funding formula overhaul
- > May 10, 7:13 AM: Select education, business and political leaders who attended private briefings this week about the long-awaited bill to modernize the state’s K-12 funding formula had mixed reactions about the plan, with some saying it
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%