- Futuro Academy pushing education in east Las Vegas
- > Mar 19, 6:16 AM: Prado is the lead founder of the charter school at the corner of Lamb Boulevard and Washington Avenue. He said he started the school because he saw parents on the east side of Las Vegas demanding more from schools.
- How two Las Vegas charter schools are excelling in high-need areas
- > Mar 18, 4:41 AM: More than half of the students at Mater Academy Mountain Vista charter school are English language learners. The poverty rate in the community surrounding the school is so high that all its students qualify to receive free
- Governor gets 3 finalists for Nevada state schools chief
- Mar 13, 6:26 AM: Gov. Steve Sisolak will choose the state’s next superintendent of public instruction from a list of three applicants, all of whom have leadership experience in Nevada’s education system.
- Charter high school offering college credits opens Thursday
- > Mar 8, 7:49 AM: College can be a financial burden for families but a unique high school is giving local students college credits for free. Nevada State High School will open a new location near Lamb Boulevard and Carey Avenue Thursday in
- Career program gives Nevada adults a chance to finish high school degree, enroll in college
- Mar 7, 8:18 AM: The Nevada Department of Education has started a program that will allow adult learners to complete their high school equivalency and concurrently enroll in college courses.
- School choice group's poll shows most Nevadans like concept of ESAs, think public schools are underfunded
- > Mar 4, 6:54 AM: A poll commissioned by a group supportive of Education Savings Accounts found that nearly three-quarters of Nevadans favor the program, which would route some public education money toward private school tuition or other
- Nevada colleges want to raise their graduation rate; now they're giving themselves deadlines
- > Feb 28, 6:58 AM: The Nevada System of Higher Education is renewing its focus on what might seem like a few simple goals — making sure that students who enter its doors one semester come back the next and that they cross the graduation
- Nevada State High School opens first campus in Reno
- > Feb 26, 7:39 AM: Nevada State High School (NSHS) held a grand opening for its first campus in Reno on Monday, February 25, 2019. NSHS has a total of seven campuses, six of which are in Las Vegas. The new Reno campus is located at 7350
- Against all odds, Republicans reintroduce Education Savings Accounts bill
- Feb 21, 6:51 AM: In spite of daunting political odds, a group of Republicans is bringing back a proposal to put nearly $60 million toward Nevada’s controversial and dormant Education Savings Account program.
- Column: Teachers union wary of protesting Democrats over education funding
- > Feb 20, 8:42 AM: The NSEA wants a massive tax increase, but it’s not in Gov. Steve Sisolak’s budget. His plan for teachers includes 2 percent yearly raises and a one-time 3 percent salary boost. Actual raises may vary because the state
- Nevada lawmakers probe teacher pay raises amid renewed questions about school funding
- Feb 20, 7:16 AM: Republican state lawmakers are worried Gov. Steve Sisolak’s proposed teacher pay hikes won’t actually make it into teachers’ pockets.
- Nevada public education supporters go ‘Red for Ed’ at rallies
- > Feb 19, 7:57 AM: Teachers and parents don’t want another study to figure out where Nevada stands in public education.They want action. That was the message public education advocates spread at a “Red for Ed” rally Monday in Las Vegas as
- Costs mount amid flurry of lawsuits over Las Vegas charter school
- Feb 19, 7:35 AM: On the surface, Quest Preparatory Academy in northwest Las Vegas is just another school trying to improve the academic achievement of its largely low-income and ethnically diverse student body.
- Opinion: Data shows Opportunity Scholarship is working
- > Feb 14, 8:41 AM: A report released Feb. 8 by the Nevada Department of Education showed nearly 70 percent of students receiving the Nevada Opportunity Scholarship experienced a positive score change based on six standardized measurements
- This 1-star high school shows the potential of charter schools
- > Feb 12, 6:13 AM: Beacon Academy evokes that original spirit of the charter school movement. Independently operated and not attached to a national educational management company, they have experimented and fine-tuned their approach to
- Lawmakers urged to address the flunking elephant in the room: online schools
- Feb 6, 6:42 AM: The State Public Charter School Authority has an online school problem, and charter advocates will be pushing to address it during this legislative session.
- Opinion: Nevada's public charter schools are doing more with less
- > Feb 5, 7:56 AM: Most charter schools in Nevada scramble to find spaces suitable for running a high-quality public school. The reason is simple: When it comes to funding for school facilities, public school students aren’t all treated
- Education funding a hot topic as Nevada Legislature set to begin
- > Feb 4, 6:07 AM: The signatures are collected. Unions and school districts are on board. Parents are becoming informed. Now, as lawmakers convene in the capital, the question arises: will the Nevada Legislature heed the rallying cry to
- CCSD offers $10k annual bonuses to teachers at struggling schools
- > Feb 1, 7:28 AM: Johnston Middle School Principal Lou Markouzis tries to attract high-quality teachers to his one-star school, but the best he can offer is a corner classroom with a window. That’s about to change under a new pilot program
- CCSD tackling barriers to students entering apprenticeship programs
- Jan 31, 8:25 AM: With an estimated 27 percent of Nevada's high school graduates heading to college, education leaders in Clark County are coming together to offer opportunities for those who aren't seeking a degree.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%