- New Las Vegas charter school authorized, scheduled to open in August 2021
- > Nov 12, 7:05 AM: A brand new charter school will be opening its doors next year in Las Vegas. Sage Collegiate Public Charter School — a tuition-free, college preparatory, public charter school — has been authorized by the State Public
- Charter authority board OKs allowing 40% of students on campus
- Nov 9, 7:58 AM: Nevada’s public charter schools will have the option of bringing more students back to campus for in-person classes starting next week.
- Charter board to consider reopening to 40% of students
- > Nov 5, 7:58 AM: Nevada State Public Charter Authority will bring a recommendation to its board Friday seeking to allow schools in counties with elevated levels of COVID-19 transmission — including Clark County — to bring up to 40 percent
- A rural district's solution for reopening schools? Six-week courses for older students
- > Oct 23, 6:20 AM: Gone are days of back-to-back classes from early morning through mid-afternoon. Now, Churchill County students in secondary grades take two courses at a time in six-week increments. They meet five days a week for each
- Some Las Vegas-area charter schools to reopen to handful of students
- Oct 12, 7:54 AM: Some Clark County public charter schools are bringing back up to 25 percent of their students for in-person classes starting this month.
- Clark County schools’ white students left in greatest numbers
- Oct 9, 5:13 AM: The Clark County School Board heard an update Thursday that included a breakdown of the district’s enrollment drop of 12,622 students by ethnicity.
- Charter board may revisit distance learning mandate in November
- Oct 5, 7:08 AM: A board that oversees Nevada’s public charter schools may consider revisiting its distance learning mandate in November.
- Clark County staff, families wonder: is distance learning sustainable?
- > Sep 28, 6:05 AM: With one month of virtual school in the books, Clark County School District staff and families report widely varying experiences with distance learning, but have one unifying question moving forward: How long is this
- Pilot program at Henderson charter school brings some students back into the classroom
- > Sep 25, 6:50 AM: A Henderson charter school brought some students back into the classroom as part of a pilot program. Pinecrest Academy Inspirada was given the greenlight by the Nevada Charter School Board. The pilot program was initiated
- Local 'parent union' aims to give collective voice for Nevada families in public education
- Aug 31, 7:39 AM: Many parents in Clark County say they're fed up with distance learning. So much so, they announced their intent to form a union during a Thursday night protest with non-profit group Power2Parent.
- Parents group protests CCSD’s use of distance education
- Aug 28, 7:14 AM: More than 100 people attended a protest Thursday night opposing the Clark County School District’s use of distance learning amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- North Las Vegas debuts ‘microschool,’ home-school options
- > Aug 26, 5:32 AM: Hundreds of children started their first day of school on Monday at North Las Vegas’ Southern Nevada Urban Micro Academy. The program has 328 students attending one of three facilities in the city. Roughly 60 percent are
- Letter: More school choice doesn’t look so bad now, does it?
- > Aug 24, 6:30 AM: Few of us have any real options because our politicians have gone out of their way to make sure that is the case. As a result of their purposeful misrepresentation and ardent arguments against the institution of charter
- Might online instruction widen the learning gap?
- > Aug 20, 6:57 AM: The Clark County School District’s abrupt shift to digital learning in mid-March was especially tough on lower-income and minority students. Reportedly, nearly one-third of all students stopped learning because they didn’t
- Charter schools, including one launching this year, make the pivot to distance education
- > Aug 12, 5:51 AM: The pivot to distance education was the latest twist in GALS’ unorthodox journey to open amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The new charter school — housed in a Boys & Girls Club near UNLV — will be the state’s first girls-only
- Grassroots effort to bridge the digital divide ahead of the new school year gains steam
- > Aug 3, 7:23 AM: When COVID-19 shuttered schools in the spring, the Flores family received a district-issued Chromebook for the siblings to share. But the logistics proved less than ideal: Flores, then a fifth-grader, and her middle
- Las Vegas-based online public charter academy sees spike in enrollment
- > Aug 3, 7:00 AM: As the Clark County School District prepares to start the school year with full distance learning, the Nevada Virtual Academy, that's always been online, says it's expanded enrollment because of increased interest in its
- Las Vegas charter school provides blueprint for student success doing distance learning
- > Jul 28, 7:00 AM: 13 Action News talked to a former student and current superintendent at Delta Academy, a tuition-free, public Las Vegas Charter School that's offered distance learning for years. They both believe the lessons they've
- Most Nevada charter schools opting for hybrid education in fall
- Jul 27, 7:26 AM: Many Nevada public charter schools are aiming to use a hybrid model — a combination of in-person and distance education — when they reopen in August.
- Reports show teacher’s union backed tax proposals flush with cash, amendment initiatives less so
- > Jul 23, 8:22 AM: The Clark County Education Association has funneled more than $600,000 into two PACs in an effort to raise gaming and sales taxes, but with deadlines for procuring signatures quickly approaching, no other initiatives have
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- KOLO-TV - Online 75%
- KRXI-TV - Online 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Record-Courier 33%
- Elko Daily Free Press - Online 33%