- OPS considering online classes, which could start as early as 2016
- Nov 18, 6:50 AM: The Omaha Public Schools could join a growing number of districts offering virtual schools, where students trade traditional brick-and-mortar classrooms for online courses.
- Analysis of public teacher salaries shows that pay reflects experience
- Aug 10, 6:39 AM: Experienced, highly educated teachers are the most valuable educators. On that, Nebraska’s metro area school districts agree.
- Charter school campaign begins in Omaha
- Jun 29, 5:37 AM: Nebraska doesn't currently have a law that allows charter schools, and the activists at Saturday's gathering want that to change.
- Gov. Ricketts to speak at pro-charter school group's Omaha event
- Jun 24, 5:19 AM: Gov. Pete Ricketts will speak at an event Saturday in Omaha sponsored by a group seeking to allow charter schools in Nebraska.
- Documentary provides balanced understanding of charter schools
Presented by the film-making group Nebraska Loves Public Schools, the documentary “Consider the Alternative” dives into the complex issue of school choice, particularly the controversial discussion on charter schools.>
Jun 16, 8:11 AM:
- Flipping learning around: Students watch lectures online at home, do hands-on work in class
- > Apr 29, 8:37 AM: Although it can take different forms, flipping generally involves switching when and how teachers deliver lessons and when students complete hands-on assignments. The basic format involves assigning students to watch a
- Controversial plan proposed to turn around Wakonda Elementary
- > Mar 6, 5:50 AM: Wakonda Elementary School is consistently among Nebraska's lowest performing schools on standardized tests. The federal money that could help changes comes with strings attached: changing the school's principal and turning
- Platte Institute supports tax credits for private scholarship donations
- > Mar 4, 6:30 AM: The Platte Institute, an Omaha-based think tank, released a policy study Tuesday supporting a legislative bill that would offer tax credits for donations to scholarships for students who want to attend private schools.
- Report backs tax credit scholarships like program outlined in legislative bill
- > Mar 3, 7:16 AM: A tax credit scholarship program such as one outlined in Legislative Bill 26 would provide greater educational choices for Nebraska families, according to a new report by the Platte Institute for Economic Research.
- OPS takes a fresh look at its bus policy, proposes changes to 'confusing' plan
- Mar 3, 6:54 AM: But under the plan, which will be the subject of public meetings later this month, elementary and middle school students would have new limits on the number of schools they can choose and still get a bus.
- Nebraska lawmakers greet backers of charter schools with skepticism, tough questions
- Feb 18, 5:48 AM: Parents and charter school supporters said they will continue to lobby for more school options until Nebraska finally opens the door to charter schools.
- Turnaround aid comes at a cost
- > Feb 17, 6:49 AM: The Omaha Public Schools plan to apply for a federal school improvement grant to trigger a turnaround at Wakonda Elementary, whose state test scores have landed the school on a list of Nebraska’s lowest-performing
- Rallies to focus on empowering parents for school choice
- Jan 16, 5:46 AM: More than 60 rallies and other events are planned in Nebraska later this month as part of National School Choice Week.
- OPS board preparing for charter schools bills
- Dec 19, 5:42 AM: Nebraska’s new Legislature and Gov.-elect Pete Ricketts could give charter schools their warmest reception in years.
- Nelson Mandela Elementary, a free private school opening in 2015, aims to offer more choice in north Omaha
- Nov 14, 6:17 AM: Lozier stressed that the school will not be a charter school, which means it won’t take funding away from local schools. Charter schools are not allowed by law in Nebraska.
- Fund gives $2.1 million in aid this year to private school students
- Sep 23, 7:00 AM: The Children’s Scholarship Fund of Omaha helped substantially more families this fall than it did in 2013.
- Views on charter schools, vouchers further separate Pete Ricketts, Chuck Hassebrook
- > Sep 8, 5:27 AM: Charter schools to compete with traditional public schools. Vouchers to send low-income kids to private schools. These two controversial ideas in education have been embraced in many other states over the past two decades,
- Push for charter schools in Nebraska faces uphill battle
- > Aug 22, 8:05 AM: If you have enough money you might consider sending them to an expensive private school where they may get better instruction and have more resources. But if you live in a state where privately run and publically financed
- In Nebraska, conservative group eyes push for charter schools
- > Aug 4, 7:12 AM: The fight to establish charter schools in Nebraska isn't over, despite the loss of a key advocate in the Nebraska Legislature and opponents' vow to keep the publicly funded, independently run schools out of the state.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Fox News 83%
- Grand Island Independent - Online, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Omaha World-Herald - Online/ Associated Press 17%
- Star Herald - Online 33%