- 'The culture of the school has changed': As Druid Hill Elementary makes progress, state intervention may end
- Jul 10, 7:32 AM: Nebraska’s model for turning around struggling schools has its first success story, according to state education officials.
- Last minute move sets up debate on hot-button issue of school choice next year
- May 30, 5:14 AM: The Revenue Committee has advanced a measure which would give a tax break for donations to private school scholarship funds.
- School choice supporters call tax credit bill 'historic'; measure headed to Legislature floor next year
- > May 24, 5:23 AM: Officials from the Nebraska Catholic Conference, the Archdiocese of Omaha and Lutheran schools, as well as several state senators and private school students, attended a press conference at the State Capitol to show
- Omaha Archdiocese schools see highest enrollment gain in U.S.
- May 22, 5:02 AM: Omaha-based Catholic schools changed their recruiting tactics for new students, and a result is the highest two-year enrollment gain in the nation.
- Tax credits for donations to private school scholarship funds set for debate in 2018
The Revenue Committee advanced a proposal Thursday that would give income tax credits for donating to private school scholarship funds.
May 19, 5:06 AM:
- Nebraska teachers union scolds Pete Ricketts for perceived snub
- Apr 27, 4:47 AM: The Nebraska State Education Association says Ricketts has refused to issue a ceremonial proclamation to observe the organization’s 150th anniversary.
- Nebraska Voucher Program
- Mar 21, 5:54 AM: Vouchers for private schools are being proposed in Nebraska. But vouchers may have minimal effects in rural areas of the state.
- Nebraska charter schools bill draws overflow crowd with clashing views
- Mar 15, 4:50 AM: Passions ran high Tuesday at a legislative hearing about whether Nebraska should start allowing publicly funded charter schools in the state.
- Debate over school choice in Nebraska
- > Feb 23, 6:19 AM: Unbeknownst to Nebraska students, a fiery and impassioned debate surrounds them. “When we talk about school choice, we're just talking about the option and the opportunity for all parents - regardless of income or zip code
- Some view charter schools as 'solution looking for a problem'
- Feb 15, 6:58 AM: As some lawmakers push for charter schools, others in Nebraska are wondering why they're necessary.
- Opponents line up against proposal in Nebraska Legislature to use state funds for private schooling
- Feb 14, 6:31 AM: Defenders of Nebraska public schools came out swinging Monday against the idea of using state dollars to pay private school tuition.
- New OPS student assignment plan sets off scramble for rides; 2,500 could lose busing eligibility
- Feb 13, 6:15 AM: Some Omaha Public Schools families are switching schools or scrambling to organize carpools ahead of sweeping changes to the district’s student assignment plan.
- State ed board votes to oppose bills allowing for charter schools, vouchers; members can't agree on physical force bill
- > Feb 6, 7:22 AM: The push to allow charter schools and vouchers in Nebraska got push-back Friday from members of the Nebraska State Board of Education. Board members voted to oppose legislative bills that would allow for charter schools
- Larson’s Bill Would Authorize Charter Schools
- > Feb 2, 6:12 AM: The O’Neill senator representing District 40 hopes to achieve that goal through the Independent Public Schools Act, a legislative bill allowing charter schools to exist in Nebraska. The bill says Charters could form in any
- Tax credit for private-school scholarships draws strong support, pointed questions
- > Jan 27, 6:02 AM: A proposed dollar-for-dollar tax credit for donations to private-school scholarship funds would enable more students to attend parochial schools in Nebraska, but on Thursday the notion prompted concerns about potential
- Public school advocates say charters, vouchers would hurt Nebraska
- > Jan 26, 7:30 AM: Public school advocates took turns at a podium in the State Capitol on Wednesday to argue against charter schools and vouchers they say would hurt what some consider the best public school systems in the nation.
- OPS union won’t sign off on alternative middle school program run by outsiders
- Dec 23, 7:52 AM: The Omaha Public Schools teachers union is refusing to sign off on a plan to resurrect an alternative middle school program and have it run by an outside contractor.
- Landscape could be changing for school choice in Nebraska
- Dec 19, 6:41 AM: School choice advocates gained a few new friends in the Nebraska Legislature and a big one in the White House with this year’s election.
- Charter schools cause divisions in District 7 legislative race
- Nov 7, 7:14 AM: With Election Day less than a week away, opponents in the District 7 legislative race are clashing over one candidate’s past support of charter schools.
- In Omaha Virtual School, 160 home-schoolers are forging a new educational path in Nebraska
- > Oct 31, 6:23 AM: The program, run by the Omaha Public Schools, is the first K-8 virtual school in Nebraska. Classes started in August for the 160 students who enrolled. All of them are home-schooled. Their families took a gamble on a free
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Fox News 83%
- Grand Island Independent - Online, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Omaha World-Herald - Online/ Associated Press 17%
- Star Herald - Online 33%