- Editorial: Legislature needs to keep urban-rural tensions in check this session
- > Feb 15, 7:51 AM: Tension sometimes develops between rural and urban lawmakers at the Nebraska Legislature when the differing needs of their districts clash. That’s the nature of a representative democracy. But this session, lawmakers have
- Editorial: Nebraska should give a needed boost to civics education
- > Feb 13, 8:22 AM: Our country is stronger and healthier when its citizens, across lines of party and ideology, have a basic knowledge of our government and civic principles fundamental to a free society. Although Americans shouldn’t be
- Letter: Private schools save taxpayers a lot
- > Feb 1, 6:43 AM: In Nebraska, there are roughly 300,000 public school students, about 39,500 private school students and another 7,500 home-school students. That’s 47,000 children who don’t show up on the doorstep of your local public
- Annual school choice rally focuses on scholarship tax credit bill
- > Jan 25, 5:49 AM: This is the sole school choice bill this year. In past years, senators have introduced bills to allow charter schools but this year decided to focus on the tax credits, which Linehan said will not affect state funding to
- Opinion: Improve school choice access in Nebraska
- > Jan 24, 5:59 AM: This new year also brings with it a new session of the Legislature and a chance to make a change in policy as well. This National School Choice Week, we should think about the ways an expansion of school choice will help
- Local View: St. Mary's plight shows need for school choice
- > Dec 17, 5:59 AM: Many low-income, racially diverse parents in our community just lost access to an education they know is best for their children. And when students and parents lose educational opportunity, our entire community loses.
- UNL Honors partners with local schools to create student-led programs
- > Oct 30, 5:44 AM: Honors students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln can earn honors credit outside the classroom and in the community through a new initiative that allows them to bring their expertise to elementary schools across
- Apprenticeships give students opportunity
- Oct 19, 6:52 AM: On Thursday, representatives from the U.S. Department of Labor and Nebraska Department of Labor signed an agreement with the school district for the Youth Intermediary Registered Apprenticeship Program.
- Letter: Make education funding equal, provide alternatives for students
- > Aug 28, 5:49 AM: Expanding quality choices that cost less to educate a child, especially to parents who cannot afford more choices, is a viable option. It is no surprise that organizations like Stand for Schools that lobby to protect
- Opinion: Charter schools are valid educational option
- > Aug 10, 4:44 AM: The Aug. 7 letter to the editor by Bert Peterson of Hastings, “Keep charter schools out of state,” painted a wildly inaccurate portrait of the opportunities that public charter schools could bring to children in Nebraska.
- Letter: Keep charter schools out of state
- > Aug 7, 5:15 AM: The charter school bills introduced in Nebraska requires the local school district pay the statewide average per student cost for each student who enrolls in a charter school. This cost includes the very high cost for
- Editorial: Charter schools positioned to offer needed competition
- Jul 17, 6:06 AM: But with the largest share of local property taxes going toward public education, there is room for competition to determine where taxpayers might be able to get the best bang for their buck.
- OPS should heed voters' message; charter schools; Supreme Court; climate change
- > Jul 13, 6:42 AM: The op-ed by Diane Ravitch (“Charters aren’t fair competitors,” June 28 World-Herald) reveals that Ms. Ravitch’s primary concern is the well-being of teachers unions, not students. She complains that 90 percent of charter
- State teachers target Sens. Riepe and Thibodeau over campaign ads
- > May 10, 5:33 AM: The Nebraska State Education Association on Wednesday declared Sens. Merv Riepe of Ralston and Theresa Thibodeau of Omaha "have not been supportive" of public education after they claimed to be education supporters in
- School choice bill in Nebraska Legislature unlikely to overcome filibuster
- > Mar 26, 4:36 AM: Efforts to put state support behind private and parochial school students appear to be dead for the year. Nebraska lawmakers moved on to other matters Friday, after spending three hours of passionate debate on Legislative
- “Opportunity Scholarships” bill provides option for low income Nebraskans
- > Mar 6, 7:03 AM: Some parents of children in Nebraska believe they would be better off in a private school but finances prevent them from providing that opportunity. Western Douglas County State Senator Lou Ann Linehan is sponsoring a bill
- At Nebraska school choice rally, lawmakers and governor urge students to get involved
- Jan 26, 5:53 AM: Two state senators and the governor urged a room full of private school students to get involved and push for laws to increase school choice in Nebraska during an annual rally Thursday at the Capitol.
- In 2nd year, Omaha Virtual School is 'evolving,' with new location and first batch of test results
- > Jan 15, 7:36 AM: The Omaha Public Schools’ online-learning experiment, the Omaha Virtual School, has a new home base, is seeing enrollment creep back up and is getting its first batch of state test results showing how students performed.
- If Nebraska Legislature debates school choice bill, the price tag could be a snag
- Jan 15, 6:27 AM: More than 25 years have passed since the Nebraska Legislature last debated a proposal to throw state support behind students attending private schools.
- Nebraska aims to ease path for future teachers
- Dec 27, 7:33 AM: State officials want to keep more candidates in Nebraska’s teacher-preparation pipeline by easing testing requirements.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Fox News 83%
- Grand Island Independent - Online, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Omaha World-Herald - Online/ Associated Press 17%
- Star Herald - Online 33%