- State teachers target Sens. Riepe and Thibodeau over campaign ads
- > May 10, 5:33 AM: The Nebraska State Education Association on Wednesday declared Sens. Merv Riepe of Ralston and Theresa Thibodeau of Omaha "have not been supportive" of public education after they claimed to be education supporters in
- School choice bill in Nebraska Legislature unlikely to overcome filibuster
- > Mar 26, 4:36 AM: Efforts to put state support behind private and parochial school students appear to be dead for the year. Nebraska lawmakers moved on to other matters Friday, after spending three hours of passionate debate on Legislative
- “Opportunity Scholarships” bill provides option for low income Nebraskans
- > Mar 6, 7:03 AM: Some parents of children in Nebraska believe they would be better off in a private school but finances prevent them from providing that opportunity. Western Douglas County State Senator Lou Ann Linehan is sponsoring a bill
- At Nebraska school choice rally, lawmakers and governor urge students to get involved
- Jan 26, 5:53 AM: Two state senators and the governor urged a room full of private school students to get involved and push for laws to increase school choice in Nebraska during an annual rally Thursday at the Capitol.
- In 2nd year, Omaha Virtual School is 'evolving,' with new location and first batch of test results
- > Jan 15, 7:36 AM: The Omaha Public Schools’ online-learning experiment, the Omaha Virtual School, has a new home base, is seeing enrollment creep back up and is getting its first batch of state test results showing how students performed.
- If Nebraska Legislature debates school choice bill, the price tag could be a snag
- Jan 15, 6:27 AM: More than 25 years have passed since the Nebraska Legislature last debated a proposal to throw state support behind students attending private schools.
- Nebraska aims to ease path for future teachers
- Dec 27, 7:33 AM: State officials want to keep more candidates in Nebraska’s teacher-preparation pipeline by easing testing requirements.
- School board member concerned about school choice legislation
- > Nov 17, 5:52 AM: As a board of education member for Norfolk Public Schools, Tammy Day said she believes in local control and public oversight of taxpayer dollars. That's why the school choice bills the Nebraska Legislature is expected to
- School choice proposals to be offered in upcoming legislative session
- > Nov 9, 5:48 AM: As the 2018 Nebraska legislative session nears, several organizations continue to call for more school choice. Educate Nebraska — a nonprofit organization that weighs in on K-12 issues — has joined forces with Americans
- School choice advocates push for more options in Nebraska
Middle and low income families could find it easier to send kids to private school in Nebraska.That could happen if the legislature approves tax credits, for those who put money towards scholarships.
Nov 8, 6:02 AM:
- Fewer students transfer between school districts under 'option enrollment' system
- Sep 29, 5:00 AM: Fewer kids in the Omaha metro area applied to transfer between schools this year under revised rules for the 11 school districts in the Learning Community.
- DeVos applauds Midland program's innovation, relevance and flexibility
- > Sep 14, 7:04 AM: U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos said Wednesday during her first stop in Nebraska that Midland University’s coding class is a great example of the innovation she's highlighting on her six-state tour.
- Public and charter school advocates react to DeVos' visit
- > Sep 14, 7:02 AM: The charter school debate continues as Education Secretary Betsy Devos's visit gets closer. Public School advocates and pro-charter school groups all agree that DeVos's visit is exciting and a great opportunity for
- 'The culture of the school has changed': As Druid Hill Elementary makes progress, state intervention may end
- Jul 10, 7:32 AM: Nebraska’s model for turning around struggling schools has its first success story, according to state education officials.
- Last minute move sets up debate on hot-button issue of school choice next year
- May 30, 5:14 AM: The Revenue Committee has advanced a measure which would give a tax break for donations to private school scholarship funds.
- School choice supporters call tax credit bill 'historic'; measure headed to Legislature floor next year
- > May 24, 5:23 AM: Officials from the Nebraska Catholic Conference, the Archdiocese of Omaha and Lutheran schools, as well as several state senators and private school students, attended a press conference at the State Capitol to show
- Omaha Archdiocese schools see highest enrollment gain in U.S.
- May 22, 5:02 AM: Omaha-based Catholic schools changed their recruiting tactics for new students, and a result is the highest two-year enrollment gain in the nation.
- Tax credits for donations to private school scholarship funds set for debate in 2018
The Revenue Committee advanced a proposal Thursday that would give income tax credits for donating to private school scholarship funds.
May 19, 5:06 AM:
- Nebraska teachers union scolds Pete Ricketts for perceived snub
- Apr 27, 4:47 AM: The Nebraska State Education Association says Ricketts has refused to issue a ceremonial proclamation to observe the organization’s 150th anniversary.
- Nebraska Voucher Program
- Mar 21, 5:54 AM: Vouchers for private schools are being proposed in Nebraska. But vouchers may have minimal effects in rural areas of the state.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Fox News 83%
- Grand Island Independent - Online, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Omaha World-Herald - Online/ Associated Press 17%
- Star Herald - Online 33%