- School board member concerned about school choice legislation
- > Nov 17, 5:52 AM: As a board of education member for Norfolk Public Schools, Tammy Day said she believes in local control and public oversight of taxpayer dollars. That's why the school choice bills the Nebraska Legislature is expected to
- School choice proposals to be offered in upcoming legislative session
- > Nov 9, 5:48 AM: As the 2018 Nebraska legislative session nears, several organizations continue to call for more school choice. Educate Nebraska — a nonprofit organization that weighs in on K-12 issues — has joined forces with Americans
- School choice advocates push for more options in Nebraska
Middle and low income families could find it easier to send kids to private school in Nebraska.That could happen if the legislature approves tax credits, for those who put money towards scholarships.
Nov 8, 6:02 AM:
- Fewer students transfer between school districts under 'option enrollment' system
- Sep 29, 5:00 AM: Fewer kids in the Omaha metro area applied to transfer between schools this year under revised rules for the 11 school districts in the Learning Community.
- DeVos applauds Midland program's innovation, relevance and flexibility
- > Sep 14, 7:04 AM: U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos said Wednesday during her first stop in Nebraska that Midland University’s coding class is a great example of the innovation she's highlighting on her six-state tour.
- Public and charter school advocates react to DeVos' visit
- > Sep 14, 7:02 AM: The charter school debate continues as Education Secretary Betsy Devos's visit gets closer. Public School advocates and pro-charter school groups all agree that DeVos's visit is exciting and a great opportunity for
- 'The culture of the school has changed': As Druid Hill Elementary makes progress, state intervention may end
- Jul 10, 7:32 AM: Nebraska’s model for turning around struggling schools has its first success story, according to state education officials.
- Last minute move sets up debate on hot-button issue of school choice next year
- May 30, 5:14 AM: The Revenue Committee has advanced a measure which would give a tax break for donations to private school scholarship funds.
- School choice supporters call tax credit bill 'historic'; measure headed to Legislature floor next year
- > May 24, 5:23 AM: Officials from the Nebraska Catholic Conference, the Archdiocese of Omaha and Lutheran schools, as well as several state senators and private school students, attended a press conference at the State Capitol to show
- Omaha Archdiocese schools see highest enrollment gain in U.S.
- May 22, 5:02 AM: Omaha-based Catholic schools changed their recruiting tactics for new students, and a result is the highest two-year enrollment gain in the nation.
- Tax credits for donations to private school scholarship funds set for debate in 2018
The Revenue Committee advanced a proposal Thursday that would give income tax credits for donating to private school scholarship funds.
May 19, 5:06 AM:
- Nebraska teachers union scolds Pete Ricketts for perceived snub
- Apr 27, 4:47 AM: The Nebraska State Education Association says Ricketts has refused to issue a ceremonial proclamation to observe the organization’s 150th anniversary.
- Nebraska Voucher Program
- Mar 21, 5:54 AM: Vouchers for private schools are being proposed in Nebraska. But vouchers may have minimal effects in rural areas of the state.
- Nebraska charter schools bill draws overflow crowd with clashing views
- Mar 15, 4:50 AM: Passions ran high Tuesday at a legislative hearing about whether Nebraska should start allowing publicly funded charter schools in the state.
- Debate over school choice in Nebraska
- > Feb 23, 6:19 AM: Unbeknownst to Nebraska students, a fiery and impassioned debate surrounds them. “When we talk about school choice, we're just talking about the option and the opportunity for all parents - regardless of income or zip code
- Some view charter schools as 'solution looking for a problem'
- Feb 15, 6:58 AM: As some lawmakers push for charter schools, others in Nebraska are wondering why they're necessary.
- Opponents line up against proposal in Nebraska Legislature to use state funds for private schooling
- Feb 14, 6:31 AM: Defenders of Nebraska public schools came out swinging Monday against the idea of using state dollars to pay private school tuition.
- New OPS student assignment plan sets off scramble for rides; 2,500 could lose busing eligibility
- Feb 13, 6:15 AM: Some Omaha Public Schools families are switching schools or scrambling to organize carpools ahead of sweeping changes to the district’s student assignment plan.
- State ed board votes to oppose bills allowing for charter schools, vouchers; members can't agree on physical force bill
- > Feb 6, 7:22 AM: The push to allow charter schools and vouchers in Nebraska got push-back Friday from members of the Nebraska State Board of Education. Board members voted to oppose legislative bills that would allow for charter schools
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Fox News 83%
- Grand Island Independent - Online, The 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Omaha World-Herald - Online/ Associated Press 17%
- Star Herald - Online 33%