- Bridger offers Bozeman High students a choice
- > Dec 15, 5:55 AM: Bridger has been experimenting in recent years with innovative programs that let students work at their own pace, and complete projects faster or slower than regular classes. Maheras showed new software that’s making it
- Aspire, eNDVR offer enrichment, community for home-schooling families
- Dec 6, 6:01 AM: eNDVR, a homeschool cooperative learning space and resource center, opened in Missoula about three years ago for parents who home-school or to supplement traditional school learning.
- Montanans not lining up for school choice tax credit, even though some could make a buck
- > Dec 5, 5:52 AM: So far this year, the program doesn’t look to have gained steam; a running tracker of donations on the Department of Revenue website shows that only about $7,500 in tax credits have been qualified for through scholarship
- Arntzen, teachers union clash over Teacher of the Year Program
- Sep 1, 6:00 AM: Selecting Montana’s top teacher has been a task for the teacher’s union in the state for more than two decades, but now, that’s changing.
- Montana appeals school choice tax credit ruling allowing religious schools
- > Aug 21, 4:35 AM: Three parents whose children attend Stillwater Christian School in Kalispell filed a lawsuit in December to gain access to scholarship funds administered by the state Department of Revenue. The Montana Department of
- State to appeal school-choice ruling
- > Jun 2, 5:16 AM: A state court has rejected a Revenue Department rule that said private, religious schools in Montana can’t benefit from a new state education tax credit – but the department said Thursday it will appeal the ruling.
- Montana Senate agrees to floor hearing of charter schools
- Apr 21, 6:09 AM: The Montana Senate revived a charter schools bill Thursday that would sidestep the authority of school boards by establishing a new statewide commission to oversee a system of nontraditional schools.
- Budget would slash funding for online classes, hurt smallest schools most
- > Mar 27, 6:42 AM: The Montana Digital Academy has grown significantly since its first classes in 2010, but it has never received sustainable funding from the state keeping pace with that growth. Instead, one-time-only funding has been added
- Montana House passes charter school bill
- Feb 28, 7:34 AM: The Montana House has passed a bill to create a charter school system for the state. The House approved the measure 55-44 Monday. It now goes to the Senate for consideration.
- Charter school bill moves closer to head of class
- > Feb 27, 7:17 AM: The House of Representatives had a fiery discussion Friday before giving tentative approval to a proposal that would establish a public charter school system, ending with the bill’s sponsor vowing that if it were defeated
- Charter schools bill faces uncertain future in Montana
- Feb 16, 7:25 AM: A Democrat's proposal to establish a statewide charter school system faces an uncertain future in Montana, even as Republicans hailed it as an opportunity to lift struggling schools.
- Missoula schools examine alternative education ahead of new Willard school
- Jan 6, 6:00 AM: Willard began in 2001 as a "school of choice" for students who were behind in credits or who had become disconnected from school. Students are not assigned to Willard; they have to apply.
- Montana educators cautiously hopeful for teacher recruitment, retention efforts in 2017
- > Jan 3, 7:32 AM: Several studies have found that up to half of new teachers leave the profession within five years. Teacher recruitment and retention are on the minds of educators nationwide, and in specific ways in Montana. Montana has
- School choice debate likely to reignite in Montana Legislature
- > Dec 23, 5:54 AM: Advocates who want to see Montana create programs to allow more students to attend private and religious schools with the aid of tax credits and vouchers will be watching both the Legislature and the courts come January.
- Majority of Republican lawmakers favor school vouchers, just 8% support pre-K funding
- Dec 19, 5:57 AM: A survey of Montana lawmakers headed into the 2017 legislative session next month shows Republicans favor alternatives to public schools and Democrats want pre-kindergarten funding.
- Candidates for governor lay out differing priorities for public education
- > Sep 26, 5:03 AM: Gov. Steve Bullock and Republican challenger Greg Gianforte are both campaigning on promises to improve the state’s public schools, but their visions of what needs to change and how to make it happen differ greatly.
- Gov. Bullock highlights innovation at Bozeman’s Bridger charter school
- Sep 1, 5:22 AM: The Bozeman School District won approval from the State Board of Public Education in May to create one of the state’s first charter programs, a school-within-a-school.
- School choice advocacy group launches in Montana
- Aug 1, 5:46 AM: The director of Americans for Prosperity announced the creation of a Montana school choice advocacy group on Friday.
- Lincoln County gets Montana's first charter school program
- May 18, 5:46 AM: Students will soon have a chance to enroll in a new charter program to help them prepare for more diverse opportunities after high school thanks to the Lincoln County Vocational School of Innovation.
- State responds to injunction ordering scholarships be allowed for religious schools
- > May 16, 5:11 AM: The Department of Revenue filed a response Thursday to a temporary injunction that, for now, means it must administer a scholarship program in a way that provides money to students that attend religious schools.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Daily Inter Lake - Online, The 83%
- Flathead Beacon - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Billings Outpost 17%