- Urban Superintendents Want More Ways To Get Teachers In Classrooms
- May 16, 7:03 AM: The teaching corps of St. Louis Public Schools is becoming older and whiter. And that concerns Superintendent Kelvin Adams.
- The Data Shows Kansas City's School System Is Complicated, Segregated And Inefficient
- May 10, 7:04 AM: Both traditional public schools and charters in Kansas City are increasingly segregated, expensive to run and losing high school students, according to a new report from the Kansas City Public Schools.
- Commentary: Missouri law creates barriers to equity for children
- > May 3, 6:54 AM: I agree with the Missouri School Board Association’s advocacy position, which states that “there should be a review of Missouri’s approach to funding public education and encourages a more simplified and equitable system.”
- Kansas City faces fragmented school system as charters open
- May 3, 6:03 AM: When Kansas City Neighborhood Academy opened in 2016 with the district as its sponsor, it was supposed to start a new era of cooperation between the Kansas City Public Schools and charter schools.
- St. Paul School District avoids tough talk about charter school competition
- May 1, 5:09 AM: St. Paul Public Schools officials pushed aside recent talk of reining in charter school growth by saying the district instead should find ways to work with the competition.
- Missouri governor’s scholarship program mired in GOP dispute over school choice
- > May 1, 5:05 AM: It is a cornerstone of Gov. Mike Parson’s proposed workforce development agenda: a $22 million scholarship program for adults hoping to get an undergraduate degree later in life for high-demand jobs. But a member of the
- Despite Worries Of Too Many Schools, Charters Keep Opening In Kansas City
- Apr 25, 7:18 AM: When Kansas City Neighborhood Academy opened in 2016 with the district as its sponsor, it was supposed to start a new era of cooperation between the Kansas City Public Schools and charter schools.
- Letter: Charter schools not the answer for education reform
- > Apr 24, 5:35 AM: Regarding “Let’s irrigate North County’s 'charter school deserts’” (April 3): Charter schools and voucher-type funding are not the right fix for North County or any other county in Missouri. The education reforms that
- A new charter school brings Yale-inspired vision to St. Louis
- > Apr 19, 5:25 AM: The school emphasizes self-directed study and project-based learning, with teachers serving as one-on-one tutors. Kairos will operate year-round, five weeks on and two weeks off, coordinating with local programs to offer
- Column: School consortium undermines local control
- Apr 19, 5:18 AM: After 12 years of control by an appointed administrative board, St. Louis Public Schools will again be governed by an elected school board. But an effort to undermine democratic control is already underway.
- Charter schools claim they are losing millions in tax revenue to KC district
- > Apr 18, 6:46 AM: Charter schools in Kansas City say they are shortchanged about $15 million a year in funds that for years has been diverted to Kansas City Public Schools. But they are going to have to change Missouri law to get it.
- Missouri legislature debates whether to make private schools exempt from minimum wage increase
- > Apr 18, 6:11 AM: A state representative wants to exempt private schools from minimum wage increases, in an effort to spare private schools from expenses that could put some out of business, but lawmakers and others are trying to weigh that
- SLPS goes local: State Board of Education returns city schools to elected board
- > Apr 17, 5:35 AM: The Missouri State Board of Education voted unanimously on Tuesday, April 16 to return governance of the Saint Louis Public School District (SLPS) to the voter-elected St. Louis Board of Education, effective July 1.
- 'Fast-track' scholarship bill faces stalemate from school-choice supporters in Senate
- Apr 17, 4:57 AM: Deep fractures within the Republican-controlled Missouri Senate are paralyzing two of the party’s major education priorities: school choice expansion and workforce development investment.
- Letter: Charter schools should share their secret to quality education
- > Apr 15, 6:58 AM: As a former president of the Ferguson-Florissant School Board, I read with interest and anger the April 3 guest column, “Let’s irrigate North County’s ‘charter school deserts.’” The editorial extols the Missouri
- Letter: Lawmakers are defying parents who want charter schools
- > Apr 11, 5:34 AM: Why is the Missouri Legislature so afraid of letting parents decide where their children are educated? Two school choice bills have been filibustered this legislative session — seemingly out of fear they would pass.
- Virtual learning: SPS now partners with 166 districts to offer online courses
- > Apr 10, 6:14 AM: Two years ago, Springfield Public Schools offered to allow other districts to enroll in its online courses. A total of 24 districts, largely in southwest Missouri, signed up in the first few semesters. Springfield now
- Letter: Charter schools should be a choice for more communities
- > Apr 10, 5:45 AM: Is education about protecting a district, or about the success of our children? A March 31 Post-Dispatch editorial, “Expanding charter schools to metro counties could hurt suburban school districts,” argues it is about
- Editorial: Softly killing public education by sending taxpayer money to private schools
- > Apr 10, 5:42 AM: The surest way to undermine public schools is to redefine the very meaning of public education. That’s the stated intent behind Missouri Senate Bill 160, which would create an Empowerment Scholarship Accounts Program.
- Missouri charter schools say they miss out on millions in local revenue
- Apr 8, 7:00 AM: State laws have excluded charter schools from millions of dollars in local revenue sources over the past decade, according to a fiscal review by the Missouri Charter Public School Association.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Columbia Missourian - Online 83%
- Olathe News - Online, The 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Springfield News-Leader 17%
- KMOX-AM - Online 25%