- St. Louis College Prep To Close; Lafayette Prep Poised To Step In
- > Mar 13, 6:34 AM: St. Louis College Prep, a charter middle and high school that was thrown into fiscal distress late last year, will close down at the end of the academic year and a nearby charter school will fill the void, according to
- Kairos charter school to open in publishing office
- Mar 12, 5:29 AM: Kairos Academies, the only charter middle school expected to open in St. Louis this year, has signed a lease for a portion of Concordia Publishing House’s building in the Marine Villa neighborhood.
- Uncertainty looms over Missouri charter school expansion
- Mar 11, 7:41 AM: Opponents of the push to expand charter schools in Missouri think they've got enough votes to kill the controversial measure. Proponents think they've got enough votes to pass it.
- Vouchers, charter school expansion are getting push from Republicans in Missouri
- > Mar 7, 6:37 AM: A heated debate is brewing in the Missouri House and Senate over a series of proposals that would alter the landscape of public education in Missouri. In the House, legislators had been poised to consider a plan Wednesday
- A Successful St. Louis Charter School Has Big Plans To Grow
- > Feb 25, 8:05 AM: A sought-after and successful charter school has plans to grow significantly in St. Louis. City Garden Montessori expects to increase enrollment tenfold over the next decade, which would make it one of the largest charter
- A private school turns charter, 20 years after the first charter schools opened in Missouri
- > Feb 25, 7:01 AM: The first charter schools opened in Missouri 20 years ago with a promise of a better education for students in struggling urban districts. Advocates said competition from charters would pressure traditional public schools
- School board candidates cautious about charter school expansion
- > Feb 20, 8:33 AM: A bill that has cleared committee would expand charter schools to any county with a charter form of government or any city with a population greater than 30,000. It requires the local school board to approve the charter
- St. Louis Public Schools Could Be Back In Local Hands In April
- Feb 20, 7:31 AM: The Missouri state school board sent strong signals to leadership of St. Louis Public Schools Tuesday it will end its 12-year oversight of the district this spring.
- Missouri Senate committee’s turn to wrestle over proposed charter school expansion
- > Feb 14, 7:30 AM: To expand or not to expand charter schools in Missouri? That is the question the State Senate’s General Laws committee is considering. During a hearing this week at the Missouri Capitol in Jefferson City, Lisa Smith says
- Why Do Most Charter High Schools In Kansas City Focus On College Prep?
- Feb 14, 6:22 AM: Career and technical education is having a moment, but not in all schools. Most charters still focus almost exclusively on college preparedness.
- Missouri mother fights for special needs son’s education, charter school expansion
- > Feb 6, 8:23 AM: A St. Louis mother disagrees with statements that charter schools do not educate special needs students. Carmen Ward says her 15-year-old son, Paul, who has autism and intellectual disabilities, has grown by leaps and
- Charter school expansion on the table again in Missouri
- > Feb 6, 6:24 AM: Paul bounced around public and private elementary schools in St. Louis for years, but it wasn’t until he reached fifth grade that Ward found somewhere that met her son’s special educational needs: KIPP St. Louis Public
- O’Laughlin backs bill to expand charter schools
- > Feb 5, 5:57 AM: O’Laughlin advocated strongly for an expansion of charter schools into rural areas of Missouri in her legislative column this week (page 7B of today’s Daily Express). Current law in Missouri allows charter schools to be
- Missouri State University research shows favorable view of 4-day school weeks Missouri State University research shows favorable view of 4-day school weeks
- > Jan 15, 6:52 AM: On Monday the Warren County schools in Warrenton, Mo. became the largest district in Missouri to convert to a four-day school week. That district, just west of St. Louis, has 3,000 students and will make the switch next
- Confluence Academies purchases St. Louis Library building, eyes Grand Center acquisition
- Jan 11, 8:33 AM: St. Louis charter school network Confluence Academies is working on a $20.3 million financing package to help it purchase the buildings that house two of its schools.
- More rural districts considering four-day-a-week school schedule
- > Jan 9, 7:06 AM: At the end of last school year, 25 of Missouri’s 518 school districts had switched to a four-day-a-week schedule. This year, that number appears to be 34, as reported to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary
- Charter school opening new middle school in response to need in midtown
- Jan 9, 6:56 AM: Citizens of the World Charter School is opening a new middle school in response to the growth they've seen.
- Letter: School inequities are due to inadequate funding
- > Jan 3, 6:19 AM: The number of charter schools that have failed and closed ought to temper enthusiasm for opening more of them. Children need stable, well-resourced schools. Private initiatives never benefit all students. Recommitting to
- Vandeven, returning as Missouri's education commissioner, wants to focus on future
- > Jan 2, 7:04 AM: It’s Margie Vandeven’s first day at the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary, but she shouldn’t need any help finding her office. That’s because Vandeven is returning as the state’s top schools chief just over a
- New York charter looking to take over a failing KC public school
- > Dec 5, 8:12 AM: A college preparatory public charter school may be on its way from New York City’s Harlem neighborhood to take over a struggling school in Kansas City, and a state charter schools agency has rolled out the welcome mat.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Columbia Missourian - Online 83%
- Olathe News - Online, The 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Springfield News-Leader 17%
- KMOX-AM - Online 25%