- ‘We are not anti-public school people, but we are pro-choice,’ supporters say at annual rally
- > Jan 29, 5:29 AM: The Mississippi State Capitol was awash with bright yellow scarves Tuesday as hundreds of students, parents and educators traveled here to celebrate “school choice,” the notion that parents should be able to choose where
- Gov. Reeves, in first State of the State, vows to shutter Parchman’s Unit 29; highlights ‘school choice’ and trade skills
He spoke in support of what he called school choice efforts, a cause he championed during his past two terms in office. He praised advocates who worked to create “more opportunity, choice and access” for the state’s most >
Jan 28, 6:07 AM:
- ‘It’s structured play’ — how Mississippi schools teach kindergarteners to read
- > Jan 2, 9:38 AM: Mississippi received high praise this fall for the state’s results on a national assessment that measures fourth- and eighth-grade students’ proficiency in reading and math. While the rest of the country stagnated or
- Report: Mississippi Charter Schools Improve Grades, Need Changes
- > Dec 16, 9:14 AM: Three charter schools in Jackson raised their grades over the past year, a new legislative PEER committee report found. Still, the report recommended changes by the board that oversees charter schools in Mississippi.
- State report gives charter schools better grades but criticizes spending
- Dec 11, 8:06 AM: A legislative watchdog report says Mississippi's charter schools have improved academically, but found glaring problems with the way the charter board spent money and managed contracts.
- Opinion: There Is a Right Way to Teach Reading, and Mississippi Knows It
- > Dec 6, 8:37 AM: The state’s performance in reading was especially notable. Mississippi was the only state in the nation to post significant gains on the fourth-grade reading test. Fourth graders in Mississippi are now on par with the
- In Mississippi, an Unlikely Model for School Desegregation
- Nov 22, 9:37 AM: Nearly five decades ago, this town on Jackson’s outskirts decided to send students to schools organized by grade level, rather than geography.
- Some Mississippi students are choosing alternate paths over college
- > Nov 15, 6:53 AM: Mississippi public university enrollment is down. It follows a downward trend from the last three years. But at the high school level, options for students who don’t choose a four year college are expanding.
- Editorial: School absenteeism a serious concern
- > Oct 15, 6:56 AM: Across Mississippi in October and November, school districts are emphasizing the importance of attendance. Beyond the basic concept of showing up in order to learn, the state provides per-pupil funding based on the
- Jim Hood has an ambitious plan for public education in Mississippi — but can he fund it?
- > Oct 8, 5:23 AM: Attorney General Jim Hood has big plans for education in Mississippi. He wants universal pre-K, teacher pay raises, and to fully fund the state's education funding formula — which has only happened twice since it was
- Opinion: Higher ed isn’t accessible to everyone. We should change that.
- > Sep 27, 7:44 AM: I never worried about paying for college. As an upper-middle class individual, it never crossed my mind that I would not be able to go to college because of financial factors outside my control. Until I got to college, I
- A charter school faces the ugly history of school choice in the Deep South
- > Sep 19, 5:22 AM: Clarksdale Collegiate Public Charter School pulls students from Coahoma County and its county seat of Clarksdale. The school, which opened in 2018 in the Mississippi Delta, is known for it's rich blues heritage, low
- Workforce leaders spin key report, overstate Mississippi’s role as leader in growing jobs for workers without college degrees
- > Sep 17, 5:29 AM: If you’re like 74 percent of workers in Mississippi and don’t have a bachelor’s degree, the state has good news for you: Mississippi is ranked second in the nation for creating high-paying jobs that don’t require a
- Mississippi Delta to gain second charter school
- > Sep 10, 5:02 AM: The charter school sector is continuing to expand outside of Jackson — on Monday, the Mississippi Charter School Authorizer Board approved Mississippi’s ninth charter school to open in Greenwood.
- Tax money for charter schools OK: Mississippi high court affirms funding method
- Sep 6, 6:56 AM: The Mississippi Supreme Court on Thursday affirmed the state's method of using tax money to pay for charter schools, rejecting a challenge that sought to cut off local money to the schools.
- Education: Here’s where Mississippi’s gubernatorial candidates stand
- Jul 30, 7:18 AM: Mississippi voters will go to the polls August 6 to cast their ballots in the statewide primary, and narrow the field of candidates in dozens of races, including those running for governor.
- Gov. Bryant blasts Mississippi’s largest teacher group in defense of Tate Reeves
- > Jul 17, 5:12 AM: In an effort to defend Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves, whose school choice record has drawn criticism from educators, Gov. Phil Bryant dismissed Mississippi’s largest statewide teacher group as not representative “of the majority of
- Applications for 4 Mississippi charter schools move forward. Here's who they are.
- Jul 9, 6:33 AM: Groups seeking to open four charter schools in Mississippi are moving forward, while one group is being rejected.
- Private School Vouchers Split Mississippi Candidates for Governor
- Jul 8, 5:55 AM: Several candidates for Mississippi governor have answered a questionnaire from a public education advocacy group called The Parents' Campaign, but Republican Tate Reeves has not.
- Column: Charter school suit exposes state overreach
- > Jun 24, 6:30 AM: Parents of students in Jackson public schools have sued the state for taking their local tax money and giving it to charter schools in the city. The state contends school money, state and local, should follow the students.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- WJTV-TV - Online 67%
- Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal 67%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Bolivar Commercial - Online 0%
- OneNewsNow.com 17%