- St. Paul district aims to establish online school
- Jan 25, 7:16 AM: St. Paul Superintendent Joe Gothard said the district’s proposed online school recognizes that many students desire real-world skills that may require more flexibility in their daily schedules.
- “School not screens.” RPS parents protest at district office for second week
- Jan 20, 8:24 AM: On Tuesday evening, more than a hundred Rochester Public Schools (RPS) parents and students protested outside the district building.
- Minneapolis, St. Paul teachers unions oppose school reopening plans
- Jan 13, 7:55 AM: Teachers unions in Minneapolis and St. Paul are pushing back on their districts' February reopening plans, asking them to delay the return to classrooms over safety concerns during the pandemic.
- Minnesota students navigate a chaotic school year: 'We are really trying our best'
- > Jan 4, 7:43 AM: They've logged on to learn from bedrooms and kitchen tables. Felt the euphoria of returning to band or football practice and the whiplash of activities canceled as soon as they began. They've struggled to focus on math
- Has the education world learned from the pandemic?
- Dec 28, 8:53 AM: Even though the overall loss of learning is hard to calculate, at least in Minnesota, individual schools will tell you they’ve seen families leave for options such private schools or home education.
- Column: An opportunity to help more families access education options they'e interested in
- > Dec 8, 6:46 AM: As school districts announce changes in their educational delivery models and shift to less in-person instruction, Minnesota has an opportunity to help families access alternative learning options that they are showing
- As virus rages, a few Minnesota schools still offer in-person instruction
- > Dec 7, 8:21 AM: In the Twin Cities, home to dozens of districts and charter schools, just three charter schools reported they were in person last week. And one of those, Discovery Charter School in Inver Grove Heights, had temporarily
- Most MN students buckle up for another stretch of distance learning
- > Dec 1, 7:39 AM: Many schools pivoted to remote instruction just before Thanksgiving break and plan to stay that way for at least a couple of months. St. Paul Public Schools, for example, which began the year with distance learning, won’t
- Online schools see surge in new students in Minnesota
- Nov 30, 7:32 AM: As Minnesota school districts snap back from in-person to virtual learning, demand has risen at schools that specialized in online instruction before the pandemic.
- St. Paul East Side charter school expansions get preliminary bond approval despite impassioned opposition
- > Nov 30, 7:18 AM: Nevertheless, the 20-year-old charter school’s plans to add a high school that could draw nearly 500 students within the next five years have drawn special scrutiny on multiple levels, not the least of which is concern
- St. Paul high schoolers struggling so far in distance learning
- Nov 13, 8:36 AM: Distance learning continues to be a challenge for St. Paul's high school students, including many who can ill afford to fall behind.
- Union survey finds nearly one-third of MN teachers want to quit
- > Oct 13, 8:46 AM: A survey from Education Minnesota found that the most stressful learning model for teachersis either hybrid or multimodal learning, which can involve preparing lesson plans for both distance and in-person learning
- Editorial: Welcome support for distance learners in Minneapolis and St. Paul
- Oct 5, 7:30 AM: As Minnesota families have struggled with COVID-caused distance learning for their kids, they've learned that often online schooling isn't as effective as being in the classroom.
- Commentary: Parents explain charter school enrollment
- > Oct 5, 7:19 AM: When parents use words like “life-changing” or “life-saving,” it’s easy to see why the K-12 enrollment in Minnesota’s suburban and rural chartered public schools has increased by tens of thousands of students over the last
- Community learning pods to help Minneapolis students
- Sep 23, 7:15 AM: They are unique and innovative classrooms for students where each student is working on their distance learning school work from different teachers in different schools.
- St. Paul City Council debates halting charter school bond requests for six months
- > Sep 14, 6:19 AM: For years, charter schools eager for construction financing have turned to the city of St. Paul for conduit revenue bonds — a type of public borrowing that leaves the schools, not the city, on the hook to pay back cash to
- nMinnesota Receives Top Ranking For Pro-Charter School Laws In New Report (CER in the news)
- > Sep 11, 9:29 AM: The North Star State received the fourth-highest score in a ranking of state charter school regulations by the Center for Education Reform, which advocates for school choice. Only Arizona, Washington, D.C. and Michigan
- At Minneapolis charter school, hybrid model brings students to classroom for online learning
- Sep 9, 6:40 AM: Harvest Best Academy's "learning pod" model aimed at providing space and assistance for students to complete their distance learning.
- Parent advocacy group calls for boycott of Minneapolis Public Schools over distance learning model
- > Sep 2, 7:08 AM: An organization advocating for parents and students in Minneapolis fears there’s not a solid plan in place next week’s distance learning start and that families of color are suffering the most. The group says they are
- Minn. Catholic schools begin to open their doors for in-person learning
- > Sep 1, 6:50 AM: With many public schools across the state deciding on distance learning or hybrid instruction, some parents are turning toward Catholic schools. Private and faith-based institutions are not bound by the state’s guidance on
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%