- Charter school recognized as high quality
- > Dec 23, 8:15 AM: East Range Academy of Technology and Science staff and students already knew their school is outstanding. But a few weeks ago, the Eveleth-based charter school — which specializes in personalized student attention and
- Schoolcraft earns state recognition: Bemidji-area school named a High Quality Charter School
- Dec 22, 7:25 AM: Schoolcraft Director Adrienne Eickman said she's proud of her staff after the state named the Bemidji-area charter school a "High Quality Charter School" last week.
- The complicated history of America's first 'union-backed' charter school authorizer
- > Dec 22, 7:11 AM: Despite its name, the Community School of Excellence in St. Paul has not distinguished itself with excellence. Instead, the Hmong-focused charter has become one of Minnesota’s most scandal-ridden schools.
- TrekNorth works to determine funding plan for K-5 expansion
- Dec 21, 7:51 AM: TrekNorth Junior & Senior High School leaders are working on a plan to finance an expansion that would nearly double the charter school’s enrollment.
- South Minneapolis schools see 'growing pains' as some on North Side sit half-empty
- > Dec 20, 7:46 AM: Vacancies in north Minneapolis schools stem from a slew of reasons, district officials said, including safety concerns and competition from the many charter schools in the area. “Families are at a point in 2016 to say, ‘I
- How one education nonprofit is seeking to create a groundswell of parent engagement
- > Dec 16, 7:05 AM: When Rashad Turner stepped down from his leadership role with Black Lives Matter in the city of St. Paul in early September, he pinned his decision on a single point of contention: National leadership of both BLM and the
- Five Minnesota charter schools recognized for innovations
- > Dec 9, 6:37 AM: In anticipation of the 25th anniversary of chartering, the Minnesota Association of Charter Schools (MACS) decided it was time to get back to its roots by recognizing pockets of innovation worth replicating.
- Osseo schools could approve a new racial equity plan
- Nov 22, 6:52 AM: The Osseo Public School District could adopt its first equity policy Tuesday in an effort to close its wide racial achievement gap.
- Local officials respond after lawsuit challenging teachers unions dismissed
- > Oct 28, 6:10 AM: With the dismissal of a lawsuit that challenged protections offered to Minnesota teachers comes an opportunity to build up the teaching profession and encourage more people to seek it, said Duluth Federation of Teachers
- Judge dismisses lawsuit challenging Minnesota teachers union protections
- Oct 27, 5:54 AM: A lawsuit from four Minnesota parents that claimed the state’s teachers union rules protect bad teachers and perpetuate the state’s achievement gap has been thrown out by a Ramsey County judge.
The Minnesota Department of Education is pulling out of its proposed rule for school integration, which included a piece that would have put charters under state integration plans for the first time.
Oct 19, 5:00 AM:
- MPS faces hurdles in race for the best teachers
- Oct 10, 6:22 AM: Two positives for recruiting and retaining teachers: The end of residency requirements helped MPS, and the district’s starting pay remains very competitive with suburban schools.
- Charter school envisions educating over half of North Mpls children
- > Oct 6, 6:08 AM: The Harvest Network of Schools promotes community development and education. These concepts are not something new to the schools’ founder and president Eric Mahmoud and his wife, co-founder and executive director Dr. Ella
- No consensus in Minnesota on calls for moratorium on charter schools
- > Sep 26, 6:43 AM: A very small number of Minnesota students actually go to charter schools. Just over five percent in the 2014-2015 school year. But you wouldn't know it by the size of the debate the publicly financed, independently run
- Local charter, private schools see boost in enrollment
- Sep 26, 5:58 AM: Now in its second year, CHOICE Technical Academy, a charter school in Owatonna, has seen an immense jump in enrollment, from 44 students last year to 76 this year.
- New charter school science class sends students into the field
- Sep 23, 6:09 AM: The weekly trips to the college are part of a new quarter-long science class open to the school's sixth-through 11th-graders. Putze said the class provides hands-on science exploration.
- Nova Classical Academy earns perfect mark
- Sep 13, 5:25 AM: Nova Classical Academy, more precisely, its Upper School, is the only high school in the state to earn a perfect Multiple Measurement Rating (MMR) from the state Department of Education in 2016.
- Charter school movement 25 years old, continues to grow
- > Sep 7, 5:50 AM: It’s the silver anniversary of the charter school and in Minnesota — the birthplace of the charter school movement — supporters say the commitment to students and choice has never been stronger.
- Rosemount district opening two more magnet schools to offer choice, promote integration
- > Sep 1, 4:39 AM: Magnet schools enjoy small but persistent popularity in Minnesota. The website Public School Review lists 78 magnets statewide, serving about 5 percent of the state’s more than 860,000 students from preschool to high
- Challenge to Minnesota teachers union protections will continue despite California ruling
- Aug 23, 7:48 AM: Minnesota parents suing the state over teachers union protections say their lawsuit will continue despite the failure of a similar case in California.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%