- Duluth Edison drops charter high school plans
- > Jun 6, 7:16 AM: Duluth Edison announced in 2013 it was considering opening a high school, and that year showed interest in buying the former Central High School owned by the Duluth school district. An offer on the property was made in
- Tough choices ahead for St. Paul as school enrollment drops and new contract looms
- > Apr 26, 4:49 AM: Families shut out of their top choices for district schools, especially at the elementary level, often will send their kids to competing charter schools or other districts, rather than another school in the St. Paul
- At Minneapolis magnet schools, diversity is on the rise
- > Apr 17, 5:09 AM: For decades, school leaders around the country have turned to magnets as a way to balance the racial mix of kids in schools. Roughly 4,000 magnet and theme-based schools dot cities from New York to Los Angeles. In
- Senate GOP Approves Private School Tax Credit Measure
- Apr 4, 5:34 AM: Republicans in the Minnesota Senate approved Monday a measure allowing parents to get a tax credit for sending their children to private schools, which Democrats denounced as “vouchers.
- Are charter schools the answer to America's public education challenges? (CER in the news)
- > Mar 9, 8:10 AM: Minnesota passed the nation's first charter school law. but are charter schools effective? Have they lived up to their promise, or just taken financial resources — and students — away from other public schools?
- Charter school enrollment is surging in Minnesota
- > Mar 3, 6:57 AM: While traditional school district enrollment grew by 2 percent in the past five years, charter school enrollment ballooned by 36 percent. It's been spurred by grade additions and new facilities, plus an increase in the
- Minnesota renews fight over school choice options
- > Feb 13, 6:17 AM: Minnesota’s been quiet lately when it comes to school-choice innovation. Families embrace the tried-and-true: open enrolling their children to other districts or placing them in a growing array of charter schools. But now,
- Committee approves bill to give tax credits for private school tuition
- Feb 10, 6:05 AM: A Minnesota House of Representatives bill that aims to give tax credits to help cover private school tuition received emotional opposition and support during a hearing Thursday.
- Lawmakers considering help with private school bills
- Feb 9, 7:34 AM: A legislative proposal to increase access to private schools is set for a committee hearing at the state House Thursday.
- School choice, tax breaks for private school tuition debated at the Capitol
- > Jan 25, 6:08 AM: School choice advocates and opponents of taxpayer money going to private schools squared off at the state Capitol Tuesday, foreshadowing a possible national fight over whether students should get public help to pay private
- Parents will appeal dismissal of teacher tenure lawsuit
- Jan 10, 6:36 AM: Four parents who claim Minnesota’s teachers union rules protect bad educators asked an appellate court to review their lawsuit against the state after it was dismissed last year.
- State approves charter school to open in North Branch
- > Jan 6, 7:42 AM: The state approved K-8 art and science focused charter school plans to add one grade each year. Phoenix Academy will be designed with an experiential learning philosophy, to make the learning experiences of students more
- Minnesota New Country School awarded for doing things differently
- > Jan 6, 7:23 AM: The Minnesota Association of Charter Schools recognized MNCS for innovation for professional teaching opportunities in December. The school uses a more open, and less restrictive teaching model than most other public
- Charter school recognized as high quality
- > Dec 23, 8:15 AM: East Range Academy of Technology and Science staff and students already knew their school is outstanding. But a few weeks ago, the Eveleth-based charter school — which specializes in personalized student attention and
- Schoolcraft earns state recognition: Bemidji-area school named a High Quality Charter School
- Dec 22, 7:25 AM: Schoolcraft Director Adrienne Eickman said she's proud of her staff after the state named the Bemidji-area charter school a "High Quality Charter School" last week.
- The complicated history of America's first 'union-backed' charter school authorizer
- > Dec 22, 7:11 AM: Despite its name, the Community School of Excellence in St. Paul has not distinguished itself with excellence. Instead, the Hmong-focused charter has become one of Minnesota’s most scandal-ridden schools.
- TrekNorth works to determine funding plan for K-5 expansion
- Dec 21, 7:51 AM: TrekNorth Junior & Senior High School leaders are working on a plan to finance an expansion that would nearly double the charter school’s enrollment.
- South Minneapolis schools see 'growing pains' as some on North Side sit half-empty
- > Dec 20, 7:46 AM: Vacancies in north Minneapolis schools stem from a slew of reasons, district officials said, including safety concerns and competition from the many charter schools in the area. “Families are at a point in 2016 to say, ‘I
- How one education nonprofit is seeking to create a groundswell of parent engagement
- > Dec 16, 7:05 AM: When Rashad Turner stepped down from his leadership role with Black Lives Matter in the city of St. Paul in early September, he pinned his decision on a single point of contention: National leadership of both BLM and the
- Five Minnesota charter schools recognized for innovations
- > Dec 9, 6:37 AM: In anticipation of the 25th anniversary of chartering, the Minnesota Association of Charter Schools (MACS) decided it was time to get back to its roots by recognizing pockets of innovation worth replicating.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%