- Minnesota schools face uncertainty amid a pandemic-related budget crunch
- > Jun 29, 5:51 AM: Minnesota school districts scrambling to prepare for an uncertain academic year are tallying the millions of dollars they'll have to spend — and that they could lose — as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Opinion: This area's been told for decades: Segregation won't work
- > Jun 23, 7:44 AM: In order to address this gap in outcomes, Minnesota invented charter schools. Charters are private nonprofits that were envisioned as a way to close achievement gaps without committing to a metro wide desegregation
- Virginia, ERATS to have day in District Court
- > Jun 23, 7:37 AM: ERATS attorney Erik Honkanen said through court filings that VMPS is attempting to “bully” the charter school off the property, detailing an event where property was bulldozed near an ERATS entrance.
- In-school, online or both? State urges districts to prep for it all this fall
- > Jun 19, 6:55 AM: State health and education officials on Thursday released guidance to help Minnesota’s public schools plan for the coming school year. But the future track of the coronavirus outbreak will dictate what happens this fall.
- As Schools Pledge To Fight Against Racial Injustice, MPS Looks To Cut Ties With Police
- > Jun 16, 6:22 AM: Last week, leaders at a charter school on the northwest side of Milwaukee organized a silent protest. Teachers, students and parents knelt for nine minutes on the sidewalk outside of Rocketship Transformation Prep.
- Minnesota's online schools attract interest amid pandemic
- > Jun 8, 7:18 AM: Now, as MNCA, BlueSky and other online schools report increased interest in their offerings, and the outlook for brick-and-mortar schools has yet to be settled for the fall, the question arises: How strong of an option are
- After destruction, MN Transitions Charter School holds donation drive for students, families
- > Jun 4, 8:12 AM: Minnesota Transitions Charter School is boarded up after last week's unrest around the Minneapolis Police Department's 3rd Precinct. It impacted the MTCS district offices, MTS Secondary school, General Colin L. Powell
- Sharon discusses charter initiative
- > Jun 3, 6:44 AM: "The goal is to provide distance learning to students and to build trust with current students,” Glaros said. “We want to re-engage families and not lose families to outside cyber and charter schools."
- Lafayette Charter School celebrates 20 years of education
- May 19, 7:35 AM: The community got together and they wanted a school here and they felt it was important for the community, so 20 years later we are still going,” said LCS director and teacher Natasha Petersen.
- Minnesota parents tell us what they really think of online learning
- May 12, 6:58 AM: The answers show that some students are thriving and some are not. But the majority said things are going OK.
- Minneapolis schools chief in spotlight with major redesign plan set for vote
- > May 11, 7:58 AM: After three hours of voice mail testimony, Graff calmly briefed board members on a plan he believes will pull the district out of a yearslong cycle of budget deficits and help narrow an achievement gap between students of
- Editorial: Report shows potential long-term benefits of distance learning
- May 6, 7:26 AM: A new study on distance teaching and learning in Minnesota during the coronavirus pandemic suggests that there may be valuable lessons to learn that can help narrow achievement gaps between student groups.
- ‘I miss my teachers’: Already on the margins, homeless students hit hard by shuttered schools
- > Apr 27, 7:13 AM: Bass, 19, is a student at the alternative high school program at North Education Center, a school in New Hope that serves students who may not be on track to graduate. Before the coronavirus outbreak, whatever her address
- In online meeting, parents castigate Minneapolis School District over restructuring plan
- > Apr 23, 7:43 AM: A diverse group of parents opposing the Minneapolis School District’s controversial school restructure plan took to Facebook on Wednesday night to dissect the proposed changes and accuse district leaders of failing to
- Impact of distance learning period will live on after schools reopen
- Apr 21, 5:59 AM: Hearing an update on distance learning in Owatonna at last week’s school board work session, officials wondered how this new system might impact learning after schools reopen.
- Using Distance to Grow Closer: How One School Is Leaning on Its Student Relationships to Create Community in a Pandemic
- > Apr 20, 8:32 AM: My daughter is a member of the founding senior class at a small Minneapolis charter school where virtually every student faces steep odds to attain public education’s promise of breaking the cycle of intergenerational
- Coronavirus In Minnesota: South Minneapolis Charter School ‘Virtually’ Breaks Ground On New Facility
- > Apr 20, 6:55 AM: In the midst of this COVID-19 pandemic a South Minneapolis school is breaking ground on a new building, as Friendship Academy of the Arts hopes to double its enrollment. But it was a different sort of groundbreaking.
- Unfinished Learning: Will Pandemic Create More Education Gaps?
- Apr 10, 8:23 AM: Minnesota school districts are carrying out distance learning as most of the state remains shut down due to the pandemic. But an education advocacy group says some students might be falling behind.
- Opinion: Minneapolis aid leaves out charter school families
- > Apr 7, 8:18 AM: Last Friday, Mayor Jacob Frey announced a $5 million relief package from the city of Minneapolis for residents and businesses impacted by the COVID-19 virus. The funds for residents are targeted at low-income families, the
- St. Joseph Catholic School teachers using online options during school closure
- > Apr 3, 6:22 AM: Due to the world-wide Covid-19 virus pandemic, Gov. Tim Walz announced on March 15 that schools would close March 18-27 for teachers and staff to develop and implement distance learning plans beginning March 30 and now
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%