- Minnesota set to revamp how public schools are graded
- > Sep 19, 7:03 AM: After years of intense pressure on school test scores, the state's education department on Monday submitted a final plan to the federal government that broadens its previous reach — promising to evaluate more schools than
- Open enrollment, charters reshape Twin Cities schools
- > Sep 18, 4:44 AM: School choice options — open enrollment and charter schools — have proved especially popular with nonwhite or minority students, according to the Star Tribune’s analysis of the racial breakdown of students who opt out of
- Career Pathways charter school moves to Hamline Midway
- Sep 12, 5:05 AM: Move brings students closer to job opportunities and partnerships with local businesses and organizations.
- Minnesota parents explain why they selected a charter public school
- > Sep 8, 6:19 AM: Passionate responses from parents help explain why the number of Minnesota students attending charter public schools has grown from less than 100 in 1992 to more than 50,000 this year, the 25th anniversary of the first
- Minnesota appeals court upholds dismissal of teacher tenure suit
- > Sep 6, 5:27 AM: If Minnesotans want to change state teachers union protections, they should petition the Legislature, not seek changes in the courts. That's the opinion of a Minnesota Court of Appeals panel, released Tuesday, Sept. 5,
- Clarkfield Area Charter School passes 10th anniversary
- > Sep 1, 5:43 AM: All lights will be out and the doors locked at Clarkfield Area Charter School for Labor Day next Monday. But it will be an important occasion for the school nonetheless. The day will mark the tenth anniversary since the
- Arcadia Charter School marks 15th anniversary with something to celebrate
- Aug 30, 6:13 AM: Arcadia Charter School celebrates its 15th anniversary this year and with it some of the succes the school has seen in that time.
- Arts-focused high school opens its doors in Eden Prairie
- Aug 29, 5:40 AM: Eden Prairie has a new arts-focused high school and more than 300 students walked through the doors for their first day of school on Friday, Aug. 25.
- As the Stillwater district closes schools, a new charter moves in
- > Aug 28, 4:52 AM: River Grove’s curriculum will use hands-on, project-based learning with a focus on the environment, local heritage, art and science, said Kristina Smitten, chair of the school board. It will be a “teacher-powered” school,
- St. Paul schools should market to skeptical parents, consultant says
- Aug 17, 6:15 AM: A consultant for the St. Paul school district says improving school climate and marketing to skeptical parents could help increase enrollment.
- Brooklyn Center charter school closes due to low academic performance
- Aug 11, 5:41 AM: Odyssey Academy, a Brooklyn Center charter school, will not be reopening in the fall after to failing to meet "satisfactory academic achievement," according to the charter's authorizer.
- Family concerns expanded PSEO opportunities
- Aug 8, 7:37 AM: Minnesota wisely offers a variety of ways for high school students to earn college credit. The most widely used are courses offered in high schools by high school faculty.
- S.U.N. Academy charter school shuts down abruptly
- Aug 1, 5:46 AM: North Minneapolis charter school Sankofa Underground North Academy shut down this month, leaving students and teachers scrambling for other options before the school year starts in a few weeks.
- Few answers for parents at Inver Grove charter about school leadership
- Jul 18, 6:16 AM: The standoff between parents and board members of an Inver Grove Heights charter over the school’s future leadership continued Monday without the two sides finding much new common ground.
- Gustafson to head TrekNorth charter school
- > Jul 14, 5:42 AM: A School Board decision on Tuesday put Kristin Gustafson in the director’s chair there. Gustafson has been the school’s assistant director for the past three years, and was named interim director after longtime director
- Parents want answers about Dakota County charter school leadership change
- Jul 13, 6:31 AM: Frustrated by what they say is unacceptable secrecy surrounding leadership decisions, parents of students at an Inver Grove Heights charter school hope a Thursday meeting will finally provide some answers.
- Minnesota parents continue argument that unions protect bad teachers
- > Jun 29, 6:20 AM: St. Paul mother Roxanne Draughn and three other parents from across the Twin Cities filed a lawsuit in April 2016 claiming that teacher tenure and other union rules protect bad teachers and worsen the academic achievement
- Assembly passes voucher school background check requirement
- Jun 22, 7:50 AM: Private schools in Wisconsin's voucher program would have to conduct employee background checks under a bill passed by the state Assembly.
- New rules will make teacher requirements more flexible
- Jun 14, 7:03 AM: New licensing requirements for Minnesota teachers are set to take effect next summer after they were passed as part of the education budget last session.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%