- Local elementary school nationally recognized for academic excellence
The U.S. Department of Education gives the award to schools that have closed the education achievement gap between subgroups of students.
Sep 21, 10:08 AM:
- MN school district policy bans teaching "divisive concepts"
A central Minnesota school district is clashing with the teachers union and LGBTQ allies over a proposed policy that opponents say would undermine equity and inclusion.
Aug 9, 8:58 AM:
- Minnesota public school enrollment declines
Minnesota's enrollment decline ranked as the 26th steepest out of 46 states that had data available, according to a national survey by the American Enterprise Institute and the College Crisis Initiative at Davidson >
Jun 6, 8:56 AM:
- Students Return to Minneapolis Schools After Historic Three-Week Strike
- Mar 30, 9:21 AM: The deal to end a three-week strike – the first for the 30,000-student district in half a century – features pay raises, caps class sizes and includes layoff protections.
- Minneapolis students back in class after teachers strike: 'We've got a lot of learning to do'
- > Mar 30, 8:56 AM: Students returning to Lake Harriet Lower Community School on Tuesday were greeted with hugs and high fives, balloons and a "red carpet" made of long rolls of scarlet paper. "Welcome back" banners hung near the door and the
- Minneapolis teachers, district reach deal to end strike
- Mar 25, 8:34 AM: Minneapolis Public Schools posted on its website early Friday that a tentative agreement has been made with union teachers and education specialists.
- Editorial: Lack of progress on learning gaps
- Mar 23, 6:00 AM: Though the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) has several programs that are supposed to help address the state's student achievement gaps, they are largely ineffective.
- GOP candidates, including two former teachers, slam Minneapolis teachers union as strike enters eleventh day
- Mar 22, 9:07 AM: Republican candidates slammed the Minneapolis teachers union's "excessive demands" as the teacher strike extended into its eleventh day on Tuesday.
- A Minneapolis parent and a teacher talk teachers strike, 10 days in
- > Mar 18, 8:06 AM: Some parents aren’t happy about the disruption to their children’s education. John Champe has two daughters in middle school in the Minneapolis district. He joined host Cathy Wurzer to talk about what the strike has been
- Minneapolis school board members under intense pressure; board member resigns citing 'broken trust'
- > Mar 17, 8:57 AM: Minneapolis school board members' phones are buzzing nonstop, their e-mail inboxes filling with hundreds of messages daily. Union members are picketing in front of their houses. And on Wednesday, one board member resigned,
- Minneapolis teacher strike enters day 10, St. Paul teachers ratify new contract
- > Mar 17, 8:52 AM: Teachers in the Minneapolis Public School district will be picketing again Thursday, as their strike enters the tenth day. Wednesday, both sides said progress was made in negotiations and talks extended into the evening
- St. Paul teachers vote on tentative contract, as negotiations continue in Minneapolis
- Mar 16, 9:22 AM: St. Paul teacher union members are voting on a tentative new contract that was agreed upon just hours before they nearly went on strike last week.
- Bonuses, raises, class-size limits: The deal that averted another St. Paul teacher strike
- Mar 15, 9:35 AM: The deadline deal that averted a St. Paul teacher strike last week featured $3,000 bonuses, 2 percent raises and modest class-size reductions, according to documents the union shared with its members.
- No deal in sight to end Minneapolis teachers' strike as new school week looms
- Mar 14, 5:56 AM: Officials with the Minneapolis Public Schools and Minneapolis Federation of Teachers traded proposals and counter-proposals over the weekend, but a deal to end a strike by the MFT remains elusive.
- Minneapolis teachers strike continues as union and district remain far apart on deal
- Mar 11, 9:03 AM: "I can make more money right now going to work at Target than I do working for Minneapolis Public Schools, and that is difficult," one educator said.
- Minneapolis teachers union pushes support-staff raises; district questions how much it can afford
- > Mar 10, 10:26 AM: Wages for support staffers have proven a key issue in the negotiations between the Minneapolis teachers union and the school district. The city's educators began their strike Tuesday after union and school officials were
- In St. Paul, deal with teachers brings relief for schools, families
- > Mar 9, 9:49 AM: The news brought a sigh of relief from many parents concerned about more lost school time for their children after two years of pandemic chaos, said Tonya Draughn, who has a daughter and several grandchildren in the St.
- While Parents Worry, Minneapolis Teachers Hit The Picket Line
- > Mar 9, 9:45 AM: "We all have real jobs,” said Molly Dengler, whose first-grade son attends a Spanish immersion elementary school in downtown Minneapolis. “Maybe today they could call out of work, but it’s not sustainable to keep calling
- Audit says Minnesota's efforts to close achievement gap lack clarity, structure
- > Mar 9, 9:42 AM: The Minnesota Department of Education's amorphous role in helping school districts close academic achievement gaps renders a trio of state programs largely ineffective in tackling those disparities, a new state audit
- Keeping Kids Engaged — and Meeting Their Dizzying Array of Needs — Calls for Strong Relationships
- Mar 8, 10:56 AM: Unlike several surrounding districts, Venture Academy did not close during the surge. Three-fourths of our teachers said they wanted to remain open for in-person classes.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%