- Equitable learning pod in Minneapolis at risk of closing without funding help
- Feb 22, 9:01 AM: An equitable learning pod in south Minneapolis is helping students who are distance learning get the support they need. But organizers say without more funding, they risk closing at the end of the month.
- COVID drives home schooling surge; public school enrollment drops
- > Feb 22, 6:36 AM: The COVID-19 crisis is driving dramatic changes in Minnesota public school enrollments, including a drop of some 17,000 students in the past year, with families delaying kindergarten and choosing options outside the public
- Duluth Edison Charter Schools Offer New Educational Option
- > Feb 19, 7:42 AM: In the fall, there will be another option for students in grades 6 through 8 where they can be onsite 1 day a week and participate from home 4 days a week with programming specifically designed for those students and
- Page Education Amendment gets new push in Minn. Legislature
- > Feb 16, 7:42 AM: The pandemic and civil unrest after the death of George Floyd slowed down a push for a constitutional amendment aimed at narrowing the achievement gap between students of color and white students. However, supporters of
- Minnesota schools plan to continue virtual learning options in fall 2021
- Feb 16, 6:24 AM: Independent learners, elite athletes and students with anxiety are helping fuel demand for more remote instruction.
- Editorial:There's a growing appetite for post-COVID online learning
- > Feb 8, 6:47 AM: During Minnesota's monthslong, COVID-19-caused experiment with remote learning, much has been said and written about the social, emotional and academic downsides of online education. Though virtual learning isn't optimal
- Court orders Minneapolis district to accept teachers' work-from-home accommodation requests
- > Feb 1, 8:36 AM: Staff who previously had work-from-home accommodations, or are applying for them, will not have to return to in-person work on Monday, according to a temporary restraining order issued by the Hennepin County District Court
- Minnesota private schools say they are proof in-person learning can be done safely
- Jan 28, 7:28 AM: Students have been learning in-person the whole school year at Liberty Classical Academy in White Bear Lake, Minnesota amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- St. Paul district aims to establish online school
- Jan 25, 7:16 AM: St. Paul Superintendent Joe Gothard said the district’s proposed online school recognizes that many students desire real-world skills that may require more flexibility in their daily schedules.
- “School not screens.” RPS parents protest at district office for second week
- Jan 20, 8:24 AM: On Tuesday evening, more than a hundred Rochester Public Schools (RPS) parents and students protested outside the district building.
- Minneapolis, St. Paul teachers unions oppose school reopening plans
- Jan 13, 7:55 AM: Teachers unions in Minneapolis and St. Paul are pushing back on their districts' February reopening plans, asking them to delay the return to classrooms over safety concerns during the pandemic.
- Minnesota students navigate a chaotic school year: 'We are really trying our best'
- > Jan 4, 7:43 AM: They've logged on to learn from bedrooms and kitchen tables. Felt the euphoria of returning to band or football practice and the whiplash of activities canceled as soon as they began. They've struggled to focus on math
- Has the education world learned from the pandemic?
- Dec 28, 8:53 AM: Even though the overall loss of learning is hard to calculate, at least in Minnesota, individual schools will tell you they’ve seen families leave for options such private schools or home education.
- Column: An opportunity to help more families access education options they'e interested in
- > Dec 8, 6:46 AM: As school districts announce changes in their educational delivery models and shift to less in-person instruction, Minnesota has an opportunity to help families access alternative learning options that they are showing
- As virus rages, a few Minnesota schools still offer in-person instruction
- > Dec 7, 8:21 AM: In the Twin Cities, home to dozens of districts and charter schools, just three charter schools reported they were in person last week. And one of those, Discovery Charter School in Inver Grove Heights, had temporarily
- Most MN students buckle up for another stretch of distance learning
- > Dec 1, 7:39 AM: Many schools pivoted to remote instruction just before Thanksgiving break and plan to stay that way for at least a couple of months. St. Paul Public Schools, for example, which began the year with distance learning, won’t
- Online schools see surge in new students in Minnesota
- Nov 30, 7:32 AM: As Minnesota school districts snap back from in-person to virtual learning, demand has risen at schools that specialized in online instruction before the pandemic.
- St. Paul East Side charter school expansions get preliminary bond approval despite impassioned opposition
- > Nov 30, 7:18 AM: Nevertheless, the 20-year-old charter school’s plans to add a high school that could draw nearly 500 students within the next five years have drawn special scrutiny on multiple levels, not the least of which is concern
- St. Paul high schoolers struggling so far in distance learning
- Nov 13, 8:36 AM: Distance learning continues to be a challenge for St. Paul's high school students, including many who can ill afford to fall behind.
- Union survey finds nearly one-third of MN teachers want to quit
- > Oct 13, 8:46 AM: A survey from Education Minnesota found that the most stressful learning model for teachersis either hybrid or multimodal learning, which can involve preparing lesson plans for both distance and in-person learning
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%