- Are charter schools the answer to America’s public education challenges? (CER in the news)
- Mar 9, 8:10 AM: Minnesota passed the nation's first charter school law. but are charter schools effective? Have they lived up to their promise, or just taken financial resources — and students — away from other public schools?
- Charter school enrollment is surging in Minnesota
- > Mar 3, 6:57 AM: While traditional school district enrollment grew by 2 percent in the past five years, charter school enrollment ballooned by 36 percent. It's been spurred by grade additions and new facilities, plus an increase in the number of
- Minnesota renews fight over school choice options
- > Feb 13, 6:17 AM: Minnesota’s been quiet lately when it comes to school-choice innovation. Families embrace the tried-and-true: open enrolling their children to other districts or placing them in a growing array of charter schools. But now,
- Committee approves bill to give tax credits for private school tuition
- Feb 10, 6:05 AM: A Minnesota House of Representatives bill that aims to give tax credits to help cover private school tuition received emotional opposition and support during a hearing Thursday.
- Lawmakers considering help with private school bills
- Feb 9, 7:34 AM: A legislative proposal to increase access to private schools is set for a committee hearing at the state House Thursday.
- School choice, tax breaks for private school tuition debated at the Capitol
- > Jan 25, 6:08 AM: School choice advocates and opponents of taxpayer money going to private schools squared off at the state Capitol Tuesday, foreshadowing a possible national fight over whether students should get public help to pay private school
- Parents will appeal dismissal of teacher tenure lawsuit
- Jan 10, 6:36 AM: Four parents who claim Minnesota’s teachers union rules protect bad educators asked an appellate court to review their lawsuit against the state after it was dismissed last year.
- State approves charter school to open in North Branch
- > Jan 6, 7:42 AM: The state approved K-8 art and science focused charter school plans to add one grade each year. Phoenix Academy will be designed with an experiential learning philosophy, to make the learning experiences of students more active,
- Minnesota New Country School awarded for doing things differently
- > Jan 6, 7:23 AM: The Minnesota Association of Charter Schools recognized MNCS for innovation for professional teaching opportunities in December. The school uses a more open, and less restrictive teaching model than most other public schools, and
- Charter school recognized as high quality
- > Dec 23, 8:15 AM: East Range Academy of Technology and Science staff and students already knew their school is outstanding. But a few weeks ago, the Eveleth-based charter school — which specializes in personalized student attention and enriching
- Schoolcraft earns state recognition: Bemidji-area school named a High Quality Charter School
- Dec 22, 7:25 AM: Schoolcraft Director Adrienne Eickman said she's proud of her staff after the state named the Bemidji-area charter school a "High Quality Charter School" last week.
- The complicated history of America’s first ‘union-backed’ charter school authorizer
- Dec 22, 7:11 AM: Despite its name, the Community School of Excellence in St. Paul has not distinguished itself with excellence. Instead, the Hmong-focused charter has become one of Minnesota’s most scandal-ridden schools.
- TrekNorth works to determine funding plan for K-5 expansion
- Dec 21, 7:51 AM: TrekNorth Junior & Senior High School leaders are working on a plan to finance an expansion that would nearly double the charter school’s enrollment.
- South Minneapolis schools see ‘growing pains’ as some on North Side sit half-empty
- > Dec 20, 7:46 AM: Vacancies in north Minneapolis schools stem from a slew of reasons, district officials said, including safety concerns and competition from the many charter schools in the area. “Families are at a point in 2016 to say, ‘I don’t have
- How one education nonprofit is seeking to create a groundswell of parent engagement
- > Dec 16, 7:05 AM: When Rashad Turner stepped down from his leadership role with Black Lives Matter in the city of St. Paul in early September, he pinned his decision on a single point of contention: National leadership of both BLM and the NAACP had
- Five Minnesota charter schools recognized for innovations
- Dec 9, 6:37 AM: In anticipation of the 25th anniversary of chartering, the Minnesota Association of Charter Schools (MACS) decided it was time to get back to its roots by recognizing pockets of innovation worth replicating.
- Osseo schools could approve a new racial equity plan
- Nov 22, 6:52 AM: The Osseo Public School District could adopt its first equity policy Tuesday in an effort to close its wide racial achievement gap.
- Local officials respond after lawsuit challenging teachers unions dismissed
- > Oct 28, 6:10 AM: With the dismissal of a lawsuit that challenged protections offered to Minnesota teachers comes an opportunity to build up the teaching profession and encourage more people to seek it, said Duluth Federation of Teachers president
- Judge dismisses lawsuit challenging Minnesota teachers union protections
- Oct 27, 5:54 AM: A lawsuit from four Minnesota parents that claimed the state’s teachers union rules protect bad teachers and perpetuate the state’s achievement gap has been thrown out by a Ramsey County judge.
- MDE withdraws proposed integration rule, including charter school integration piece
The Minnesota Department of Education is pulling out of its proposed rule for school integration, which included a piece that would have put charters under state integration plans for the first time.
Oct 19, 5:00 AM:
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%