- St. Paul City Council debates halting charter school bond requests for six months
- > Sep 14, 6:19 AM: For years, charter schools eager for construction financing have turned to the city of St. Paul for conduit revenue bonds — a type of public borrowing that leaves the schools, not the city, on the hook to pay back cash to
- nMinnesota Receives Top Ranking For Pro-Charter School Laws In New Report (CER in the news)
- > Sep 11, 9:29 AM: The North Star State received the fourth-highest score in a ranking of state charter school regulations by the Center for Education Reform, which advocates for school choice. Only Arizona, Washington, D.C. and Michigan
- At Minneapolis charter school, hybrid model brings students to classroom for online learning
- Sep 9, 6:40 AM: Harvest Best Academy's "learning pod" model aimed at providing space and assistance for students to complete their distance learning.
- Parent advocacy group calls for boycott of Minneapolis Public Schools over distance learning model
- > Sep 2, 7:08 AM: An organization advocating for parents and students in Minneapolis fears there’s not a solid plan in place next week’s distance learning start and that families of color are suffering the most. The group says they are
- Minn. Catholic schools begin to open their doors for in-person learning
- > Sep 1, 6:50 AM: With many public schools across the state deciding on distance learning or hybrid instruction, some parents are turning toward Catholic schools. Private and faith-based institutions are not bound by the state’s guidance on
- Relationship-building is top priority at Pillager Area Charter School
- > Aug 31, 7:15 AM: Pillager Area Charter School — or PACS — is an alternative learning option for those who opt out of traditional schooling. Students follow a schedule of six six-week sessions, each with a different theme for the classes to
- Opinion: Let's provide a 'pod' for every Minnesota learner who needs one
- > Aug 28, 5:50 AM: That pilot set the stage for North Star Network learning pods this fall. These pods don’t take the place of a student’s regular distance learning through their school — they supplement that learning by providing tutors, a
- High interest in online school options for K-12 students
- > Aug 27, 5:46 AM: Teachers and staff walked an informational picket line in Chaska on Wednesday, pushing for safety as school is set to resume in two weeks. It's something many districts have been vocalizing, as well as families. In fact,
- Can a ‘pandemic pod’ stem the widening education gap? One neighborhood group wants to try
- > Aug 26, 7:20 AM: A new trend born out of the COVID-19 crisis has gained popularity in recent weeks as parents plan out their children’s school year. As many schools go virtual, families have been organizing spaces and interviewing private
- Minnesota Transitions Charter School to open temporary school at Mall of America
- > Aug 26, 7:17 AM: Minnesota Transitions Charter School is opening a temporary school in the Mall of America after its district offices and secondary school in south Minneapolis were destroyed in the riots following George Floyd’s death last
- North Minneapolis Charter School Moves The Classroom Outside To Create Safe Learning Environment
- Aug 20, 7:30 AM: Kids are back at a north Minneapolis grade school this week, but they’re not in the classroom — they’re learning outside.
- Opinion: It's time to declare an education emergency
- Aug 14, 7:47 AM: Just as COVID is leading us to major changes in health care, employment and racial justice, it can be a catalyst for radical change in education both immediately and in the long run.
- Minnesota parents rush to create 'learning pods' for distance learning
- > Aug 7, 7:42 AM: Once she found out that Minneapolis Public Schools would be starting the year with online learning, Katy Armendariz started texting two other families about how they could get through it together. They decided to form a
- ‘It Won’t Be Normal’: Waiting List Grows For North St. Paul Catholic School With In-Person Classes
- Aug 7, 6:55 AM: A private Catholic school in North St. Paul has built up a waiting list for enrollment with families who don’t want to start the year in hybrid or distance learning.
- As schools, libraries and businesses pivot, the new pandemic-era buzzword is hybrid(CER in the news)
- > Aug 5, 8:23 AM: While the early days of the pandemic saw a mad scramble to move offerings completely online or cancel them entirely, providers now have six months of experience behind them, as well as better public health data. That’s
- Iron Range school district strikes deal to end property dispute with charter school
- > Aug 5, 8:02 AM: An Iron Range school district and public charter school on Monday settled a monthslong legal battle over which school should sit on Eveleth property the district claims is the only suitable plot for a new high school.
- 'Localized' Minnesota school plan sets thresholds for reopening
- > Jul 31, 6:10 AM: Minnesota school districts will be granted flexibility in their reopening decisions this fall, depending on the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and their ability to meet a long list of health and safety standards
- With public school uncertainty, some parents consider private education
- > Jul 29, 6:51 AM: With strong opinions on all sides, many parents have tough choices about where to enroll their kids this fall. Some who can afford the tuition are for the first time looking at private schools, since their smaller class
- Minnesota teachers give nod to distance learning, survey shows
- Jul 24, 7:59 AM: A full return has the backing of just one in five educators, according to Education Minnesota, the state's teachers union.
- How decision to resume school might affect Minnesota’s communities of color
- > Jul 23, 8:30 AM: Minnesota officials have told schools and families to prepare for three different scenarios for resuming classes in the fall: in-person classes, distance learning and a hybrid of the two. And they promise they’ll make a
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%