- Campaign to halt charter-school growth is stirring up a heated debate in St. Paul
- > Nov 20, 6:16 AM: Last spring, a group of St. Paul parents launched a campaign to halt charter school growth in their city. And they have already built a pretty influential list of supporters — one that includes school board members, City
- Education advocacy group takes issue with Minnesota licensing board report
- > Nov 15, 9:14 AM: A recent report released by the Minnesota Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) has drawn sharp criticism from an education advocacy group seeking to increase the number of teachers of color in the
- Minneapolis schools to focus on grades K-2 students to close later gaps
- > Nov 15, 7:11 AM: Minneapolis School District leaders are trying a new strategy they hope will close the achievement gap between white students and students of color: doubling down on building students’ skills in kindergarten through second
- St. Paul group steps up fight against new charter schools
- Nov 11, 7:05 AM: Members appeared before the school board recently to pursue support for a moratorium on new charter schools and the expansion of existing ones.
- Opinion: Minneapolis schools need more teachers of color
- > Nov 7, 8:33 AM: Almost everyone agrees on the need to greatly increase the district’s ability to hire and retain talented, effective teachers of color. And yet, not much has changed. One of the big barriers to doing this in Minneapolis is
- Minnesota's ACT scores remain tops among states where most take the test
- > Oct 30, 4:48 AM: Minnesota students’ scores on the ACT college entrance exam held steady this year — enough for the state to hold on to its top spot among states where nearly all high school graduates take the test.
- Report ranks Minnesota among worst achievement-gap states
- Oct 15, 6:50 AM: A new report from the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis finds Minnesota is one of the worst states in the country for education achievement gaps.
- Editorial: Don't neglect the basics to boost Minnesota grad rates
- > Oct 7, 7:28 AM: While it’s a laudable goal, the effort must be pursued in concert with effective strategies to improve academic achievement. Though Minnesota is often praised for test scores relative to other states, those results can
- With Minnesota as a leader, continue supporting charter schools
- Sep 23, 5:27 AM: With another school year commencing, it’s important and unfortunate to remember that public education in our great country lags behind the world.
- Charting a new course: New Bemidji charter school opens
- > Sep 6, 7:06 AM: After multiple years of preparation since the idea first appeared on the scene, the doors of Bemidji’s newest charter school, Aurora Waasakone Community of Learners, have opened to its first round of students.
- New Waldorf charter school starts small with room to grow
- Sep 4, 5:40 AM: After sitting empty for nine years, the school building in Waldorf is once again home to students and educators.
- On Minnesota campuses, a push to rethink remedial education
- > Aug 19, 6:39 AM: The Minnesota State system, facing intense pressure to reform the way it delivers remedial education, is taking steps to shrink the number of students who take such courses. Those changes come amid a national push to
- Henderson charter school celebrating 25 years of project-based learning
- > Aug 9, 7:08 AM: The school fosters a supportive atmosphere and self-motivated learners and educators, Pollack said, by allowing students freedom to explore their own interests and encouraging collaboration that capitalizes on each
- Low graduation rate prompts ads branding Minnesota as 'worst' for students of color
- > Aug 5, 5:33 AM: Ads with a bleak message about the state's education system are popping up across the Twin Cities — wrapped around light-rail trains and buses and posted on billboards."Minnesota schools are worst in the nation for our
- Parents call for change at pioneer Minneapolis charter school
- Jul 24, 8:15 AM: They're pushing to improve the quality of education their kids receive at Cedar Riverside Community School in Minneapolis.
- Charter schools making moves in Southwest
- Jul 16, 7:53 AM: A new charter high school will open this fall in Southwest and another is planning a building addition as it prepares to add more students.
- New charter school coming to St. Paul this fall
- Jul 11, 6:44 AM: A new charter school is set to open in St. Paul this fall. The Journey School is 10 years in the making and the brainchild of long-time educators Scott Gostchock and Michelle Cambrice.
- Minnesota State scholarship program aims to combat workforce shortage
- > Jul 9, 6:17 AM: Funded by the state Legislature, this program provides hundreds -- and in the future thousands -- of students pursuing high-demand trades at the 30 Minnesota State colleges with financial assistance through scholarships.
- Closing the achievement gap, with help from the Mayo Clinic
- > Jun 28, 8:13 AM: In a time of stubborn performance gaps between white students and students of color, and between rich and poor, this university of just over 500 undergraduates may offer a script for how to ensure that students from
- Ashland School Board votes to close charter schools, Charter School Council to vote next
- Jun 28, 6:34 AM: Controversy is growing in Ashland ahead of the impending closure of two charter schools in the city after the Ashland School Board vote on Monday.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Forest Lake Times 75%
- Star Tribune - Online 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Austin Daily Herald - Online 0%
- Daily Journal - Online, The 0%