- Detroit Schools Will Sell to a Prison, But Not a Charter School
- Feb 23, 8:04 AM: After spending months fighting to prevent the sale of an abandoned building to a charter school, Detroit’s superintendent supports the sale of another property to a prison.
- Unions seek to organize charter schools, but only nine have them
- > Feb 19, 7:10 AM: The 294 charter schools in Michigan have about 10,000 teachers and 1,500 administrators, according to Buddy Moorehouse, the vice president of communications at the Michigan Association of Public School Academies. The
- Oxford Virtual Academy serves 2,600 students
- > Feb 16, 7:13 AM: Through a combination of full-time online and blended learning, Oxford Virtual Academy serves approximately 2,600 students in kindergarten through 12th grade – more than seven times the number it started with when it
- Snyder signs law to allow charter schools to receive tax revenue
- Feb 16, 6:23 AM: Gov. Rick Snyder has signed into law a change allowing charter schools to receive revenue from certain voter-approved property tax hikes.
- Detroit parents, teachers and youth push back on 'school choice' at education town hall
A movement made up of 25 organizations from across that country — including the NAACP, Advancement Project, Dignity in Schools and Journey for Justice Alliance — the group is working to support racial justice and end >
Feb 15, 6:11 AM:
- Bay City Academy has charter renewed for additional three years
- Jan 31, 6:46 AM: Bay City Academy had its charter renewed for the next three years, allowing the school to graduate its first class in 2020.
- Snyder signature impacts fight over Detroit school
- > Jan 29, 6:39 AM: Gov. Rick Snyder has signed legislation that makes it clear that school districts and local municipalities are barred from including deed restrictions that prohibit how school property can be used once sold — a bill that
- Charter school millage bill heads to governor’s desk
- > Jan 25, 7:23 AM: Lawmakers passed legislation to send more money to charter schools Tuesday. If the governor signs the bill, charter schools would qualify for new or renewed countywide tax millage dollars. Historically, that money has only
- Livingston Classical Academy may drop 'cyber school' status
- Jan 23, 6:08 AM: Livingston Classical Academy could be putting down more permanent roots in Whitmore Lake as the school changes from a cyber school to a traditional charter school.
- Hundreds to gather in state capitol building for School Choice week
- Jan 23, 6:04 AM: Gov. Rick Snyder has officially proclaimed Jan. 21-27 as Michigan School Choice Week, joining dozens of other governors and more than 500 city and county leaders nationwide in issuing similar proclamations.
- House OKs charter school millage split
- > Jan 19, 7:16 AM: Revenue from new or renewed regional enhancement education millages would be shared with charter schools under a bill approved Thursday by the Michigan House despite protestations from Democrats who argued it would siphon
- Michigan exploring whether tax overhaul creates state deduction for private school tuition
- > Jan 19, 7:09 AM: Michigan offers two state-sponsored 529 savings plans. But as of now, just one - the Michigan Education Savings Program - is eligible to be used to cover private school tuition, according to the Michigan Department of
- “My Kid Matters” at Detroit Voice for School Choice Event
Detroit Voice for School Choice will educate parents on the importance of advocating for their children’s education beginning at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 24 at Old Redford Academy Elementary School in Detroit.>
Jan 18, 6:08 AM:
- Lawmakers back Detroit charter in building fight
- > Jan 17, 6:30 AM: A growing Detroit charter school is poised to win its fight to purchase an abandoned school building in the city’s Indian Village neighborhood after Michigan’s Republican-led Legislature took action to tilt a lawsuit in
- Charter: Detroit schools 'vindictive' in building sale
- Jan 15, 7:23 AM: A Wayne County Circuit judge held off issuing a ruling Friday in a dispute over a closed school building that has pit the Detroit school district against a charter school trying to buy the property.
- Detroit district, charter school battle over closed school building
- > Jan 12, 6:24 AM: A dispute over a long-closed school building in Detroit is pitting a charter school in the city against the Detroit Public Schools Community District and is boiling over in a lawsuit that will get aired in a Wayne County
- State launches online school data app for parents
- Jan 10, 7:10 AM: Parents will now be able to look at an array of school data in an online “parent dashboard” the Michigan Department of Education launched Tuesday.
- Report: These 10 Detroit neighborhoods have the fewest quality schools
The Cerveny-Grandmont, Chadsey and Finney neighborhoods in Detroit have a troublesome similarity when it comes to schools: A report out Thursday cites them among 10 areas of the city where it's almost impossible to find >
Dec 14, 8:00 AM:
- Early present to fledgling charter school
- Dec 12, 6:35 AM: Newly-minted members of the Old Mission Peninsula School board of trustees took their oath of office this week, moving the charter-school effort a little closer to the anticipated opening bell in fall 2018.
- Lawmakers may act to block school districts from imposing restrictions on old building use
- > Dec 11, 7:44 AM: Michigan lawmakers this week may discuss changes to a law that prevents school districts from having a say on what happens to former school buildings. A charter school operator wants to turn a former Detroit public school
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%