- Should Detroit schools stop authorizing charters? Board weighs the fallout
- > Nov 21, 6:09 AM: Will the Detroit school district get out of the business of authorizing charter schools? A decision is coming in December, but board members who discussed the possibility at a meeting Monday night asked administrators for
- New charter school plans to open next year in Jackson
- Nov 17, 7:01 AM: The new charter school at 1320 Francis Street planned to open this year. Construction delays prevented that from happening, but the school is on target to open in August for the 2018-19 school year.
- Mildred C. Wells officials like partnership deal
- Nov 9, 7:36 AM: Partnering with state and local organizations to improve student achievement is a good thing, school officials at Mildred C. Wells Preparatory Academy in Benton Harbor said Tuesday.
- Ferris State analyzing special ed programs at all its charter schools
- > Nov 8, 6:23 AM: Ferris State University's Charter Schools Office has entered into an agreement with a Highland company to analyze the special education programs of all 20 schools authorized by the university over the next two years.
- Benton Harbor charter school is latest to hit partnership agreement list
- > Nov 6, 8:05 AM: In the fall of 2005, Mildred C. Wells Preparatory Academy was opened to create a challenging learning environment to prepare students for college, said the Rev. Nathaniel Wells III of Greater Community Christian
- Charter school millage bill would fund cyber schools
- > Nov 6, 8:04 AM: A new bill in the Michigan House of Representatives would allow charter schools to take a cut of regional public school millages, including online charter schools, or cyber schools. Senate Bill 574 would require
- Michigan Department of Education names new head of School Reform Office
- > Nov 1, 5:12 AM: Martin takes over the office during a period of transition. The office originated under a legislative direction in 2010 and placed in the Michigan Department of Education. In 2015, Gov. Rick Snyder moved it to a different
- In a twist, Hamtramck district giving new life to closed charter school building
- Oct 31, 5:11 AM: Usually, it goes like this: A traditional public school or private school closes and its building is snatched up by a charter school. But the opposite has happened in Hamtramck.
- Michigan IDs more struggling schools for improvement agreements
- Oct 31, 5:03 AM: Seven more school districts, including four charter schools, are on the hot seat in Michigan because they have some of the worst-performing schools in the state.
- DPS touts enrollment boost after taking on EAA kids
- Oct 27, 6:32 AM: Detroit’s public school district touted its first enrollment increase in 15 years on Thursday as it benefited from the addition of students absorbed from a failed state-run city school district.
- Dems voice concerns over transparency in debate over charter school funding
- > Oct 27, 5:42 AM: Lawmakers debated legislation Thursday that would give charter schools a cut of regional property-tax millages, with Republicans arguing the measure would bring "fairness" to the system but Democrats claiming it would
- State House committee takes up bill to channel millage money to charter schools
- Oct 26, 5:26 AM: Thursday morning, the state House Education Reform Committee takes up a bill that would channel tax money raised by county school districts to charter schools.
- Detroit, Flint among cities with highest proportion of charter school students
- Oct 26, 4:51 AM: Michigan is home to two cities - Detroit and Flint - where the majority of students attend charter schools, according to a new report.
- Vitti: Some schools of choice ‘disastrous’
- > Oct 26, 4:47 AM: The best place for a child to be educated is a traditional public school, and some charter schools without “guardrails” have been disastrous for communities, said Nikolai Vitti, superintendent of Detroit’s school
- Detroit charter schools debate gets intense at Gesu Catholic Church
- > Oct 26, 4:38 AM: Can traditional public schools and charter schools in Detroit get along, after years of us vs. them clashes? Maybe not, based on the spirited debate Wednesday night at a state of the schools event — organized by the
- ‘New era’ in education coming to Detroit, leaders say
- > Oct 25, 6:34 AM: A new era in education between charter schools and the city’s public school district will be the focus of a conversation Wednesday night as top education leadership takes the stage for a discussion on the State of Schools
- Mich. Senate approves charter school millage shift
- Oct 19, 5:26 AM: Charter and virtual schools would get a cut of regional education millage property tax revenue under a proposal approved Wednesday by Michigan’s Republican-led Senate.
- Charter schools would get a cut of countywide funding under Senate bill
- > Oct 17, 6:52 AM: Within the past year, voters in two of Michigan's largest counties - Wayne and Kent - approved new countywide millages to boost school funding at a time when many districts were suffering from tight budgets and declining
- Detroit charter school teachers vote to unionize
- Oct 17, 5:04 AM: And their school will become the eighth in Michigan to be unionized, said Nate Walker, an organizer with the AFT Michigan.
- Michigan charter schools would get some millage money under Senate bill
- > Oct 16, 5:54 AM: Charter schools in Michigan would be able to collect revenue from enhancement millages under legislation being considered in Lansing. These are regional millages levied by intermediate school districts that provide
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%