- 50 Michigan districts with biggest net losses from school choice in 2016-17
- > Sep 28, 4:44 AM: More than half of Michigan's traditional public school systems experienced a net loss in 2016-17 enrollment because of charters and school choice programs that allows students to cross district lines, according to an
- 50 Michigan districts with biggest net gains from school choice
- > Sep 27, 5:03 AM: More than 40% of Michigan's traditional public school systems had a net gain in 2016-17 enrollment through school choice and other programs allowing students to cross district lines, according to an MLive analysis of state
- Detroit schools see enrollment uptick: Are students coming back?
- > Sep 26, 5:27 AM: The fact that the Friday count was above the projection shows the district is experiencing a gain above what was expected from the return of the students from the Education Achievement Authority, the state reform district
- Engler: Let Duggan run Detroit’s public schools
- > Sep 25, 6:12 AM: The estimated 48,000-student school district has lost about 100,000 students during the past 10 years. Many Detroit parents have chosen to send them to charter schools and surrounding suburban school districts, the former
- New Mid-Michigan online school outperforms hundreds across state
- Sep 21, 6:33 AM: A brand new online school in Mid-Michigan is outperforming hundreds of other schools across the state.
- Education chief in Betsy DeVos’s home state blasts school choice — but then takes it back
- > Sep 20, 6:56 AM: Brian Whiston is the superintendent of public instruction in Michigan, the home state of U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, who has played a pivotal role in the growth of the state’s controversial charter school sector
- Inside Nikolai Vitti’s early effort to transform Detroit’s battered public schools
- > Sep 19, 6:10 AM: The schools here, which have some of the lowest test scores in the country, have become a national symbol of educational crisis. They remain the largest roadblock to the city’s resurgence nearly three years after its
- Holland-area schools see big gains, losses from school choice
- > Sep 18, 4:42 AM: Ten of the 11 districts in the Ottawa Area Intermediate School District decided that they preferred collaboration to competition, and agreed that they wouldn’t actively try to recruit students from neighboring districts.
- Atherton Virtual Academy helping students earn diploma
- > Sep 14, 5:54 AM: Atherton Virtual Academy is helping to decrease the dropout rate by providing a blended learning environment, allowing students to work online at their own pace and receive support from teachers and staff in classrooms.
- Whiston: School choice necessary, but a net loss for MI education
- Sep 12, 4:43 AM: Superintendent Brian Whiston appeared on the Michigan Public Television show “Off The Record.” He says charter schools overall don’t out-perform traditional public schools.
- For the first time, there are fewer charter schools in Michigan this year
- > Sep 6, 5:45 AM: There’s been an increased amount of public pressure and reports in media criticizing Michigan’s charter school landscape. Amber Arellano is the executive director of the nonpartisan education advocacy group Education
- Michigan Gambled on Charter Schools. Its Children Lost.
- > Sep 5, 7:05 AM: The state’s solution that year was to “charterize” the entire district: void the teacher’s union contract, fire all employees and turn over control of the schools to a private, for-profit charter operator. But enrollment
- New charter school opening delayed, construction nearly complete
- > Sep 1, 5:57 AM: Students already enrolled are back at their original school for the year, but can reapply for Francis Street Primary during next spring's enrollment period. The three hired teachers - who've already received curriculum
- Test scores at Detroit charter schools twice as high as city's public schools, but both are bad
- > Sep 1, 5:08 AM: Kids in charter schools in Detroit performed twice as well as those in traditional public schools on the M-STEP test. However, both groups still had extremely low scores on the state's yearly standardized assessment.
- Commission OKs Detroit teacher contract, giving it final approval
- > Aug 29, 6:02 AM: The Detroit teacher contract is officially approved. The Detroit Financial Review Commission this afternoon approved the recently negotiated pact that will provide teachers with a 7% increase in salaries over the next two
- Mentor program, greenhouse additions coming to Great Lakes Academy
- > Aug 29, 5:56 AM: In the midst of his first year as the new school administrator at Pontiac’s oldest charter school, Sean Waters said he hopes to bring mentor opportunities to the students throughout the year as well as implement programs
- Michigan schools recently targeted for closure start new year under state 'partnership'
- > Aug 29, 4:55 AM: Under the model, schools work with the Michigan Department of Education and community partners to design an improvement plan that specifies specific academic targets districts must reach within an 18- and 36-month
- Charter teachers at this Detroit school faced no summer pay. Then donations poured in.
- Aug 23, 5:45 AM: Teachers at Michigan Technical Academy, a Detroit charter school that closed in June, will get paid after all, according to the management company that ran the school.
- Teacher shortage looms over Detroit
- Aug 22, 5:36 AM: A significant teacher shortage looms at Detroit Public Schools Community District, and it’s likely to leave some children without teachers when school starts in two weeks.
- Court rejects appeal on temporary freeze of $2.5M in state funds for private schools
- Aug 17, 5:08 AM: The Michigan Court of Appeals has denied a request by the state to appeal a temporary freeze on $2.5 million included in the state budget to reimburse private schools for health and safety mandates.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%