- Partnership with college considered for building trades program
- > May 16, 6:13 AM: A Career Technical Education consortium program, run through Southwestern Michigan College, would allow participants to receive dual enrollment credit. Students could earn college credit while in high school, and graduate
- Schuette appeals ruling that blocks aid for private schools
- > May 15, 6:01 AM: Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette on Monday appealed a judge's decision to block $5 million in state spending to defray the cost of inspections and other government safety requirements at private schools, saying the
- Jacques: Schuette, stand for private schools
- > May 11, 4:34 AM: The Michigan attorney general and Republican candidate for governor should appeal a decision last month that banned the state from reimbursing nonpublic schools for the costs of state-mandated health and safety measures.
- Study: Virtual Schools Growing in MI Despite Poor Outcomes
- > May 8, 7:34 AM: The concept of “going to school” usually involves hundreds of students congregating under the same roof, studying just feet away from each other. These days, a growing number of students are trying an alternative: virtual
- Detroit school board backs teacher bonuses, credit
- May 3, 6:53 AM: The Detroit school board has approved plans to give bonuses to veteran district teachers as well as give credit for previous classroom experience to educators, union officials confirmed Wednesday.
- Column: Let’s get our students ready for success
- > May 3, 5:14 AM: Fewer than one quarter of our state’s high school students are career or college ready at graduation. Our rankings have plummeted to the bottom third of states nationwide on too many essential skill areas, like reading and
- Mich. judge strikes down state aid to private schools
- Apr 27, 5:06 AM: A Michigan judge on Thursday struck down as unconstitutional two state laws that reimburse private schools for the cost of fire drills, inspections and other state requirements.
- Educators discuss impact of school choice at WSU forum
- > Apr 19, 5:09 AM: During a debate on school choice in America, Detroit schools Superintendent Nikolai Vitti said Wednesday he could speak first-hand about what it was like to walk into a school system decimated by unregulated choice.
- Online academy helps boy who has autism thrive in his education
- > Apr 17, 6:45 AM: After receiving professional counseling, Chantelle decided public schools wasn't the right answer for Kaleb. She researched her options and decided to enroll him in Highpoint Virtual Academy of Michigan.
- Suit: State aid ban for private schools ‘anti-Catholic’
- Apr 16, 6:00 AM: A Grand Rapids Catholic school is trying to invalidate a nearly 50-year-old ban against using state aid for private education, arguing it is “anti-Catholic” and violates the U.S. Constitution.
- Kaffer: In search of good schools, and drowning in data
- > Apr 9, 4:55 AM: School enrollment is competitive in Michigan, and the proliferation of charters and schools-of-choice (in which school districts offer admission to students residing in an adjacent districts) gives parents the options to
- Low-performing Grand Rapids schools offered state partnership
- Apr 3, 5:20 AM: Two Grand Rapids school systems are among 21 in partnership-agreement discussions with the Michigan Department of Education to improve achievement at their low-performing schools.
- More Michigan schools are failing: Most are charters
- Apr 2, 6:17 AM: Sixteen charter schools are on a new list of schools and districts that are subject to agreements with the state to turn around failing performance.
- My college degree didn't help me find work. But learning a trade did.
- > Mar 29, 5:39 AM: It isn’t just a career and technical education plan. It’s a plan for Michigan to help students, parents, businesses and people like me recognize there are meaningful pathways to all careers in Michigan. And whether you
- Opinion: All education needs innovation
- > Mar 29, 5:14 AM: When the 21st Century Michigan Education Commission published a comprehensive report, the recommendations were bold. We must take them recommendations seriously. The report aims to position Michigan’s education system as a
- Millage proposals wouldn't have to list schools that would get funds
- > Mar 23, 6:29 AM: But Democrats were infuriated that the bill was withholding pertinent information from voters, such as which charter schools are for-profit entities. Charter schools receive public tax dollars but are run by private
- Bankole: Drawing a line between mayor, Detroit schools
- > Mar 22, 6:54 AM: But the only problem is this belief about mayoral control of schools has not worked well for Detroit. It has done just the opposite since the 1999 state takeover of the schools under former Gov. John Engler, which allowed
- Our editorial: Businesses should lead school reform
- > Mar 21, 5:06 AM: Business Leaders for Michigan joined the fray this week of groups calling for the state to become among the top 10 for its schools and talent development. The challenges and shortfalls facing Michigan’s K-12 schools are
- Business leaders urge changes to K-12 education
- > Mar 20, 5:04 AM: Give teachers more access to technology, data and high-quality professional development as well as maintain current K-12 state assessment tools. Those are among several recommendations from Michigan business leaders in a
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%