- Success Academy rescues student drowning in family hardship
- > May 24, 5:21 AM: That's when her counselor at Saginaw High reached out to Arshen Baldwin, educator at the Success Academy for the Saginaw school district. The program is for students who performed poorly at school and need to recapture credits in
- Catholic parents, GOP lawmakers want to challenge ban on money for private schools
- May 23, 6:07 AM: The Michigan Court of Appeals has put a lawsuit regarding state money for private schools on hold while it decides who can be part of it.
- Charter schools could give enrollment preference to low-income students under House bill
- May 19, 5:31 AM: Charter schools could grant an enrollment preference to neighborhood children from low-income families under legislation approved Thursday by a panel in the Michigan House of Representatives.
- Detroit’s tentative teacher contract deal rejected by union’s board
- May 16, 6:22 AM: The executive board of the Detroit Federation of Teachers has rejected a tentative contract agreement ironed out Friday between the union and the Detroit Public Schools Community District.
- New Detroit schools chief sees renaissance for district
- > May 15, 5:46 AM: Detroit schools’ incoming superintendent Nikolai Vitti wants to turn the city into a “mecca of traditional public school transformation” by boosting enrollment, attracting talented educators and competing academically with charter
- Teacher turnover, ‘chronic’ absenteeism prevalent at 38 schools once targeted for closure
- May 12, 7:03 AM: When officials with the state School Reform Office visited 38 schools across Michigan at risk of closure for poor academic performance, they got a firsthand view of the challenges impacting student achievement.
- Greenville’s virtual learning programs report success
- May 11, 5:54 AM: The landscape of learning is changing rapidly and Greenville Public Schools officials are working to stay ahead of the curve.
- State board sanctions Ball State virtual charter
- > May 11, 5:11 AM: Ball State University’s long-struggling virtual charter school will lose two-thirds of its state funding and can’t take on new students because it failed six years in a row to meet state standards, the Indiana Board of Education
- William C. Abney charter school eliminating 7th & 8th grades
- May 11, 5:10 AM: William C. Abney Academy, a K-8 charter school with two locations, is closing its middle school building in Alger Heights and eliminating seventh and eighth grades, according to school board president Pastor Jathan Austin.
- 9 Michigan schools districts OK partnership with state
- May 4, 5:02 AM: All nine Michigan school districts targeted for improvement by the state have signed partnership agreements designed to help turn around struggling schools.
- Why a Michigan charter school wants enrollment preference for students from this community
- May 2, 6:32 AM: When Charlton Heston Academy opened in 2012, educators had a clear goal: provide an education for children in the northern Michigan community of St. Helen, which two years earlier had lost its elementary school.
- 3 Detroit-area charter schools closing, but not all parents know
- May 1, 5:35 AM: At least three Detroit-area charter schools will close in June after years of low test scores, leaving hundreds of families to scramble for new schools — including some who hadn't yet been notified.
- EAA’s end returns schools to Detroit fold
- > May 1, 5:28 AM: It was envisioned as a turnaround district for some of the worst-performing schools in the state when it opened its doors in Detroit nearly five years ago, but in less than three months the Education Achievement Authority will
- Partnership spares struggling Detroit schools
- Apr 28, 5:44 AM: Saying it was on a “journey to excellence,” Detroit’s school district has agreed to partner with the state in a move that spares 24 academically struggling schools from forced closures.
- Engler: Charter school ‘delivering on the promise’
- Apr 28, 5:21 AM: Former Michigan Gov. John Engler praised Charyl Stockwell Academy District at the charter school district's 20th anniversary celebration Thursday.
- New charter school plans to open in August on Francis Street
- > Apr 25, 6:28 AM: The initial building is 5,000 square feet, including four classrooms. A 1,500-square-foot addition is planned for the future, as Tassie expects to add one grade every year up to sixth grade. Grand Valley State University is
- Detroit disputes number of school closings
- Apr 21, 5:50 AM: The Detroit Public Schools Community District may need to close schools in the future as it goes through the process of right-sizing the district, State Superintendent Brian Whiston said this afternoon.
- Detroit school board rescinds charter school decision
- Apr 12, 6:50 AM: The board of education for the Detroit school district voted tonight to rescind a decision it made last month to grant five-year contracts to three charter schools that are part of the Education Achievement Authority.
- GHAPS streamlines intra-district school of choice enrollment
- Apr 11, 5:13 AM: There are 335 internal school of choice students in the current school year, which is about 15 percent of the Grand Haven district’s total enrollment.
- Virtual high school launches in Muskegon County
- Apr 3, 6:11 AM: A new online and non-traditional high school will give students in Muskegon County a different way to receive their diploma.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%