- Detroit Chamber: Metro students must finish degrees to find good jobs
- > Dec 5, 8:03 AM: According to the Detroit Regional Chamber’s first-ever State of Education Report, released Thursday, students are dropping out of the region’s education system at every stage, resulting in a talent pool without the
- Students in Michigan increasingly turning to virtual schooling
- Dec 5, 7:14 AM: The number of students opting to attend online virtual schooling is on the rise, according to numbers from the Michigan Department of Education.
- Opinion: State takeover hurt Detroit's public schools
- Dec 3, 6:21 AM: Skeptics have argued it for years, and it seems they’re right — states shouldn’t manage school districts.
- North Star Montessori Academy teachers, students fighting for charter school funding
- > Nov 21, 7:26 AM: North Star Montessori Academy students performed a song and dance at a school board meeting on Wednesday. But the performance wasn't just for entertainment - they're hoping it reaches the folks working for Michigan's
- Opinion: Reevaluate teacher evaluations
- > Nov 20, 8:19 AM: How would you like your child’s teacher to be evaluated? By the number of correct “bubbles” filled in on a standardized test? Or by creative lesson plans that develop critical thinking skills under that teacher’s
- Mich. Senate approves charter school millage shift
- Nov 20, 7:26 AM: Charter and virtual schools would get a cut of regional education millage property tax revenue under a proposal approved Wednesday by Michigan’s Republican-led Senate.
- 'My child matters!': Detroit parents rally for equal funding for charter schools
- Nov 18, 6:34 AM: A group of parents and their charter-school children braved the cold Saturday to rally in front of the "Spirit of Detroit" in hopes the governor would hear their voices.
- Opinion: Michigan Governor Takes Aim At Low-Income Students In Charter Schools
- > Nov 15, 8:43 AM: Our political age has accustomed us to enduring an unhealthy share of bombast and cynicism from Washington, but sometimes it reaches too close to home. Many Michigan families can attest to this, as their governor has held
- Group accuses state ed department of hiding school data
- Nov 13, 8:01 AM: A charter school advocacy group is accusing the Michigan Department of Education of "illegally" hiding performance data it is supposed to be using to create an A-F accountability system for schools.
- A new Michigan education model shows promising signs for students in struggling schools. But can it work long-term?
- Nov 12, 6:46 AM: The Michigan Partnership Model was designed in 2017 to improve the state’s lowest-performing schools, which serve about 54,000 students.
- Whitmer's veto of increased funding for charter schools felt by Muskegon Heights Academy
- Nov 11, 8:33 AM: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer struck $35 million slated to increase per-pupil funding for charter schools, including the Muskegon Heights Public School Academy.
- Ypsilanti-area School, South Arbor Charter Academy, Celebrates 20 Years Serving Local Community
- > Nov 11, 8:12 AM: Today, a Michigan charter school is celebrating a major milestone, marking two decades serving the Ypsilanti community. South Arbor Charter Academy, a free public charter school, managed by National Heritage Academies, is
- Opinion: Michigan should investigate student mobility scholarships
- Nov 11, 6:33 AM: Not all Michigan families can make the same sacrifices to access better schools, at least not without imposing some other serious financial strain, DeGrow writes.
- 68 Michigan districts with biggest gains from school choice in 2018-19
- > Nov 7, 8:42 AM: About 39% of Michigan's traditional public school systems had a net gain in 2018-19 enrollment through school choice and other programs allowing students to cross district lines, according to an MLive analysis of state
- How much is a University of Michigan degree worth?
- > Nov 6, 8:09 AM: How much value is there in a University of Michigan degree? Quite a lot, compared to typical returns on college degrees nationwide, according to an analysis of data from the University of Michigan and the U.S. Department
- Everything you need to know about Michigan’s charter schools
- > Nov 6, 6:20 AM: While 38 of Michigan’s 83 counties lack a charter school within its borders, the recent proliferation of online programs means that every single Michigan county had residents enrolled in charters in 2018. Yet charter
- GV’s involvement with Michigan charter schools
- Nov 4, 9:23 AM: Recently, Michigan has faced many challenges in K-12 education, such as teacher shortages and dwindling budgets. Teacher-to-student ratios have swelled, resulting in less individualized education.
- Editorial: Scary Detroit scores make case for charters
- > Nov 4, 6:03 AM: As Vitti works to reform his district, there are thousands of children who are missing out on their one chance for a good education. Enter charter schools. These alternative public schools aren’t perfect. But in Detroit,
- Opinion: Retaining 3rd graders on test score is regressive, not innovative
- > Nov 1, 5:51 AM: No two students are alike. Retaining kids based solely on a test score isn’t innovation — it’s regression. We must do away with the test-and-punish piece of Michigan’s reading law, invest in early childhood education and
- Dick DeVos calls governor’s veto of charter school funding increase ‘unacceptable’
- > Oct 31, 6:29 AM: The board of the West Michigan Aviation Academy, a charter high school founded by Dick DeVos, adopted a resolution opposing Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s line-item veto that cut $35 million from the budget for per-pupil
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%