- Michigan now allows inmates to get financial aid for college education
- Oct 16, 8:02 AM: Inmates in Michigan’s prisons have a new avenue for getting financial aid for postsecondary education thanks to a change to a state program that had long excluded incarcerated individuals.
- High school grads earn $20 an hour, free college through apprenticeships
- > Oct 15, 5:38 AM: Grzywacz is one of many young people across the state choosing to forego a four-year degree in favor of a faster track to a technical career. Educators, business leaders and economic development specialists have been
- GOP seeks to restore $260M in Whitmer's cuts covering charter school, hospital, autism aid
- > Oct 9, 6:30 AM: Republicans paved the way Tuesday for introducing roughly $260 million in supplemental spending bills, seeking to reverse cuts by Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to charter schools, rural hospital grants and an autism
- Michigan's worst schools see gains under collaboration effort with state
- > Oct 8, 6:04 AM: Today, it's a thriving, well-attended "model school" within the Detroit Public Schools Community District, where students posted double-digit proficiency increases on the last state assessment. Teachers are vying for jobs
- Group argues GRPS is now a two-tier education system
- > Oct 8, 5:08 AM: The group, Grand Rapids Education for Justice (GREJ), argue that students in test-in theme schools perform consistently higher on tests, while the test scores of students in predominately minority schools and from poorer
- Governor Whitmer, why are charter students worth less? | Opinion
- > Oct 7, 7:12 AM: In my decade as a Detroiter, I’ve opened two small, public charter elementary schools in Detroit — I still work in both schools today. They’re incredibly special places, with students who joyfully bound across our
- U Prep schools ‘pause' pay raises after Whitmer's charter school funding veto
- > Oct 7, 7:00 AM: With nearly 5,000 students enrolled at its eight schools in Detroit, University Prep stands to lose about $1.2 million in additional state aid from Whitmer's veto of a $35 million line in the $15 billion School Aid Fund
- Column: Poor kids as pawns? A bad look for Whitmer
- > Oct 4, 6:39 AM: In a last-ditch effort to secure more of her budget priorities, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is playing hardball with Republican legislative leaders, but she’s misguided in using low-income children as her bargaining chips.
- Democratic stalwart slams Whitmer's charter school cuts
- > Oct 3, 6:02 AM: "This is an issue of fairness. Either we believe all students are equal or we don’t,” Thomas said in a statement. “Schools have been planning all year for an equal payment and at the last moment, they had the game and
- Whitmer strikes charter funding increases, summer reading programs from Michigan budget
- > Oct 3, 6:00 AM: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer on Monday used line-item vetoes to reject dozens of education programs proposed by the Republican-controlled state legislature, including a funding increase for charter schools and summer reading
- Charter School Funders Promise $200 Million for Detroit Student Scholarships
- Oct 1, 7:15 AM: Detroit charter school philanthropist Bob Thompson is putting up $200 million of his own money to inspire colleges to do more to help poor students succeed in college.
- Michigan schools amp up college prep, ‘mixed-ability’ classrooms in name of student 'equity'
- > Oct 1, 6:22 AM: Courses such as AVID are a step several Michigan school districts are taking to build equity in education. Others are taking different paths, such as eliminating honors courses in favor of "mixed-ability" classrooms, that
- GV student teachers paired with Detroit schools
- > Sep 30, 7:31 AM: This semester, 10 Grand Valley State University undergraduate students who are studying to become teachers will be completing their student teaching requirements at a GVSU-authorized charter school in Detroit.
- Teacher uproots her life to move to Flint because of new charter school
- > Sep 26, 6:26 AM: Now, Jenny Elahi teaches second grade at the Flint Cultural Center Academy. But before the big move to Flint she was teaching at another school, in her hometown of Rochester, NY, that used the same teaching method, EL
- Charter school launching nature-based preschool program
- Sep 24, 5:51 AM: "We know how important it is to get 4-year-old students engaged in learning early. The core academic standards are going to be there driving their instruction while on campus."
- Michigan Connections Academy celebrates 10th anniversary
- Sep 20, 5:46 AM: Michigan Connections Academy is celebrating their 10th school year and they are celebrating it with a new addition.
- Detroit students leave the city for suburban schools that aren’t much better
- > Sep 16, 7:12 AM: Detroit students who leave the city to get an education end up enrolled at schools with slightly higher test scores. But that may not be enough of an advantage given some other negative factors associated with that move.
- Jacques: A novel idea: Teach kids to love learning
- Sep 4, 5:24 AM: Ivywood Classical Academy in Plymouth opened its doors this week as a K-5 tuition-free public charter school, which will keep adding grades in the coming school years.
- New school year brings changes across Michigan
- Sep 3, 5:43 AM: School is back in session on today for most of the 1.5 million school-age children in Michigan, and that means new books, security upgrades, and in some districts, new schools.
- Editorial: 'Reconnect' workers with a better future
- > Aug 29, 6:08 AM: Top business leaders in Michigan are raising the alarm over a lack of skilled workers, and they are supporting a plan from Gov. Gretchen Whitmer that could help alleviate the shortage. Lawmakers should listen to what they
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%