- Ann Arbor charter school fighting for survival says management firm made up student count
- > Mar 28, 6:44 AM: An Ann Arbor charter school is facing possible closure — and a legal battle involving claims of mismanagement and inflated student counts — after Eastern Michigan University announced last fall it would not renew the
- Opinion: When it comes to school choice, Ohio has Michigan beat
- > Mar 28, 5:53 AM: I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. I recognize that’s not a very popular thing to say in Michigan. But beyond the advantages of being a hardcore Buckeye fan, perhaps nothing about being born in Columbus has done more for me than
- Court to Hear Challenge to Michigan’s Discriminatory ‘Blaine Amendment’ Today
- > Mar 25, 8:43 AM: The United States Federal District Court will hear oral arguments today in a challenge to Michigan’s Blaine amendment, brought by five families across the state and the PACE Foundation, a nonprofit membership organization
- New public charter school coming to Hamilton County
- Mar 25, 8:13 AM: Hillsdale College of Michigan has agreed to partner with Valor Classical Academy to establish a tuition-free public charter school in Hamilton County.
- Jalen Rose, His Detroit Charter School Profiled on HBO’s ‘Real Sports’
- Mar 23, 6:37 AM: "It’s going to be young people that are achieving their goals and aspiring to do great things and there are going to be adults that are helping that happen. And I have total faith in this city."
- Detroit public schools plan for more than $1 billion in federal aid
- Mar 23, 6:30 AM: Detroit's public school system is investing much of its $1.3 billion in federal COVID-19 relief aid to improve learning for its students and help fix what has been broken for decades.
- "Decline to sign" campaign kicks off to fight private school scholarship ballot initiative
- Mar 17, 6:13 AM: A new coalition of public education supporters has launched a campaign to defeat the "Let MI Kids Learn" ballot petition drive backed by former U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.
- Public school advocates launch effort to stop DeVos-backed school scholarship proposal
- > Mar 17, 5:42 AM: A new ballot committee For MI Kids For Our Schools declared during its virtual launch Wednesday that all options are on the table to stop the Betsy DeVos-backed Let MI Kids Learn ballot initiative that public school
- How COVID cash could help Michigan schools tackle a mental health crisis
- > Mar 14, 6:19 AM: Two years of frustration, disruption, and loss have taken their toll on Michigan students, exacerbating a youth mental health crisis that has been building for more than a decade. Michiganders want schools to take action,
- Crisis in the Classroom: Charter school transparency
- Mar 4, 9:40 AM: The state of Michigan has 292 charter schools, public schools that get state funding.
- Michigan enrollment ticks up, but pandemic losses continue for city districts
- > Feb 25, 9:10 AM: The addition of nearly 6,000 students, or 0.4%, may be a hopeful sign that parents are becoming more comfortable sending their children to classrooms nearly two years after Michigan schools were first shuttered due to
- Column: Whitmer budget unfriendly to state’s charter schools
- > Feb 23, 6:47 AM: Whitmer wants to provide a $2,000 retention bonus to teachers across the state, but only to those who are directly “employed by” their districts. Most public charter school teachers are paid as contractors and thus
- Jacques: Whitmer budget doesn't put 'every student' first
- > Feb 17, 9:25 AM: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer recently made a big deal about her budget and its significant bump to education spending. In typical fashion, she’s keeping political considerations at the forefront — not necessarily what’s best for
- Michigan GOP calls for repeal of school funding amendment
- Feb 16, 9:28 AM: The Michigan GOP wants to repeal an amendment to the state Constitution. The amendment prevents public dollars from funding non-public education.
- What's causing canceled classes and risking aid for Michigan's K-12 schools?
- > Feb 14, 10:03 AM: Yet more than a quarter of his 2,500 Eastpointe Community Schools students have missed 20 days of school already this school year. Each of those days counts as student attendance falling below 75%, the daily legal
- In-person learning brings ‘COVID bump’ in enrollment to Michigan Catholic schools after years of decline
- Feb 14, 9:46 AM: Kathryn Dobija witnessed the pitfalls and limitations of remote learning with her Ann Arbor Public Schools third grader in spring 2020 at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Michigan schools struggle to meet 75% attendance rate -- Teachers’ unions ask for change
- > Feb 10, 10:05 AM: At least 75% of students must be in school each day across the district for the state to consider it a full school day. But, according to a recent survey conducted by multiple teacher’s unions, found that one-third of
- Grand Valley State launches $1,000 scholarships for graduates of the charter schools it authorizes
- Feb 9, 9:38 AM: Grand Valley State University has launched a new scholarship program for students who graduate from a GVSU-authorized charter high school.
- Betsy DeVos supports Michigan school choice ballot drive
- > Feb 3, 10:21 AM: Former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on Wednesday backed a Michigan ballot drive to let students attend private schools and pay other educational expenses with accounts funded by donations that would qualify for tax
- Editorial: Tired of closed schools? Sign this petition
- > Feb 3, 10:20 AM: School choice advocates in Michigan are harnessing the discontent parents and families have felt during the pandemic and are looking to turn that into more educational freedom. A new ballot proposal could help break
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Bay City Times 100%
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Ludington Daily News - Online 0%