- Washtenaw County school improves achievement gap, no longer a Focus School
- Jul 19, 5:21 AM: Bishop Elementary School is no longer under state-designated Focus School status after bridging the gap between its highest- and lowest-achieving students.
- Detroit education advocacy group closes doors
- Jul 18, 7:59 AM: Excellent Schools Detroit, an education advocacy group formed in 2010 for Detroit schoolchildren, closed on June 30 and transferred its initiatives to other organizations in Detroit.
- Group asks Detroit superintendent to ‘clarify thoughts’ on charter schools
- Jul 14, 5:36 AM: A Michigan charter school association is asking Nikolai Vitti, the new superintendent of Detroit Public Schools Community District, to "clarify his thoughts" on having Detroit Schools continue to authorize charter schools.
- Kalamazoo schools spend $44,450 on lawsuits against state
- > Jul 12, 5:22 AM: The district is the plaintiff in cases filed with the Michigan Court of Claims on filed Feb. 22 and March 21. The first is against the School Reform Office for its effort to close 38 low-performing schools, and another is over
- Muskegon charter school offering housing for students
- Jul 11, 6:06 AM: Covenant Academy students in need of stable housing will have a place to call home when school resumes in about two weeks.
- Detroit district may rethink authorizing charter schools
- Jul 10, 6:41 AM: From almost the moment Michigan began allowing charter schools more than 20 years ago, the Detroit school district has been active in authorizing them. But that could soon change.
- Performance lagging at Michigan’s virtual schools, study finds
- Jul 10, 6:12 AM: Michigan's virtual schools, which have grown significantly over the past seven years, continue to graduate students at a rate far lower than the statewide average, according to a new study.
- Advocates Trying Again To Bring Order To Detroit’s Disorganized Public And Charter School Situ
- > Jul 7, 6:17 AM: Instead, early discussions appear to be centered on bringing together the historically competitive leaders of district and charter schools. The hope is that they can set aside their differences to collectively address issues such as
- Judge’s ruling bars state money to private schools — for now
- Jul 7, 6:15 AM: A judge this afternoon issued a preliminary injunction that bars the state of Michigan from distributing any of the money the Legislature allocated to private schools to help them pay for state mandates.
- CMU makes it official: Michigan Technical Academy to close this summer
- > Jul 5, 7:38 AM: Just before the holiday weekend, Central Michigan University’s Board of Trustees made official what parents have known for a while now: Michigan Technical Academy is closing. The pre-k through 8th grade charter school in Detroit has
- Michigan’s virtual charters are gaining in numbers, lagging in achievement
- Jul 5, 7:04 AM: The number of Michigan kids who attend virtual schools has exploded in the past eight years. But a new study suggests those students aren’t keeping pace with their peers.
- Snyder reverses self with School Reform Office move
- Jul 3, 5:28 AM: Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder on Friday reversed his 2-year-old decision to move the School Reform Office under an agency he directly controls, signing an executive order to return it to the Department of Education.
- Charter school struggles to find authorizer
- Jun 26, 5:36 AM: Officials at Leelanau Montessori are undaunted by two rejected charter school applications as plans to reauthorize the public school academy continue into the summer months.
- Legal expert: State reimbursement to private schools violates constitution
- Jun 21, 7:15 AM: A $2.5 million budget item has triggered a growing battle over whether Michigan can funnel state money to private and parochial schools.
- Why one Michigan charter school wants more flexibility to serve suspended students
- > Jun 19, 7:40 AM: The charter school, based in Kentwood, just south of Grand Rapids, specializes in serving students who have been expelled for fights, bringing weapons to school or other violent outbursts that have put their classmates or teachers
- Report: For-profit run charter schools perform worse
- > Jun 19, 5:28 AM: The findings could fuel the already robust debate over for-profit run charter schools. The architects of charter schools in Michigan initially saw them as grassroots efforts by teachers, parents and others who would provide an
- Charter School Founded by DeVos Family Reflects National Tensions
- > Jun 14, 7:44 AM: But with its deep-pocketed founder, corporate sponsors and remarkable capacity to raise money, the Aviation Academy may be more an example of what education can achieve with seemingly limitless funds than a model for other
- Vitti: Detroit schools not ‘apologetic’ as it recruits students from shuttered charters
- > Jun 14, 7:40 AM: Enrollment in the Detroit Public Schools Community District is expected to rise by about 3,000 students for the 2017-18 school year, but that's only because the Education Achievement Authority is disbanding and its schools — and
- New alternative ‘school-within-a-school’ approved by Jackson board
- Jun 14, 6:41 AM: After months of discussion between teachers, community members and students, the Jackson School Board voted unanimously at a special meeting Monday, June 12, to open "Jackson Pathways."
- For-profit charter schools a target for some Democratic gubernatorial candidates
- > Jun 7, 5:49 AM: Two declared Democratic candidates for governor of Michigan are proposing the elimination of for-profit charter schools, they said in interviews on Mackinac Island during the Detroit Regional Chamber's Mackinac Policy
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%