- Doctor inspires a new way to train teachers — and a new kind of school
- > Jul 23, 6:33 AM: In its place, they’re creating a new method — one based on the way doctors are trained — that will extend teacher training through their first three years on the job, supporting them as they take on the daunting
- Saginaw charter high school aimed at dropouts opening in 2019
- Jul 20, 6:00 AM: Saginaw Covenant Academy, the new year-round charter high school targeting dropouts, has postponed its opening until Feb. 1, 2019 to complete building renovations, officials say.
- Column: Liberal policy scary as violent behavior
- > Jul 19, 6:23 AM: Still, bizarrely, yes. Each of the Democratic candidates for governor has promised to ban these schools and to force tens of thousands of Michigan kids out of the schools that help them succeed and back into the failure
- Column: Threats from state won't fix decades of school disinvestment
- Jul 13, 4:40 AM: It's difficult to argue that a failing school should stay open. But when closing a failing school won't get those students to a better alternative, there's not much point.
- Detroit schools will hire teachers without classroom experience, sparking debate
- > Jul 12, 5:45 AM: Detroit’s main district is proceeding with a plan to hire teachers who are certified but have received no training in the classroom — adding an element of controversy to efforts to fill hundreds of teacher vacancies by the
- Opinion: Focus on jobs keeps kids in school
- > Jul 11, 5:41 AM: By combining mentoring, career exploration, employability skills training, student-led leadership, job placement services, financial literacy, and a myriad of other services, students are connecting to the future. They are
- Students in Detroit Are Suing the State Because They Weren’t Taught to Read
- Jul 9, 7:23 AM: What to do when a school is infested with vermin, when textbooks are outdated, when students can’t even read? Perhaps the answer is sue the government.
- Michigan's charter schools outperforming district school counterparts
- > Jul 6, 4:35 AM: Michigan's public charter schools outperform their district school counterparts when it comes to the percentage of students that graduate and go on to enroll in colleges and universities. That's in addition to helping
- ‘Access to Literacy’ Is Not a Constitutional Right, Judge in Detroit Rules
- Jul 5, 7:08 AM: Students in Detroit sued state officials, claiming that dismal conditions in their public schools violate their constitutional rights. On Friday, a federal judge dismissed the suit.
- Judge says there's no fundamental right to learn to read and write
- > Jul 2, 6:40 AM: The ruling came in a federal lawsuit that was closely watched across the U.S. because of its potential impact: Filed on behalf of Detroit students, it sought to hold a dozen state officials — including Gov. Rick Snyder —
- White Plains teachers flooded with emails from DeVos-funded Mackinac org post-Janus
- > Jun 29, 6:00 AM: Hours after Wednesday’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling that public employees do not have to pay union fees if they don’t join their labor organization, teachers in the White Plains school district began receiving emails
- Lack of high-speed internet leaves rural communities behind
- > Jun 29, 5:25 AM: The issue also extends to schools. According to a report from Education Superhighway, a nonprofit studying internet access at schools throughout the country, 157,490 students in 54 school districts in Michigan don't have
- El-Sayed says his education plan would "De-DeVos" Michigan schools
- > Jun 28, 5:10 AM: El-Sayed says Michigan also needs to “De-DeVos” education — a reference to how now-U.S. Education Secretary Betsey DeVos and her family have shaped the education landscape in Michigan over the past 20 years, promoting
- New Flint Cultural Center school to serve 650 students
- > Jun 27, 7:09 AM: Community representatives and members of the public gathered in celebration of the new K-8 charter school scheduled to open on the grounds of the Flint Cultural Center in time for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Vitti plans career academies for all Detroit high schools
- Jun 26, 6:17 AM: The Detroit Public Schools Community District wants to create career academies at all of its high schools so students can seek high-growth, high-demand industry jobs.
- New northwest bus loop aims to keep kids in city at Detroit schools
- Jun 22, 4:52 AM: The new pilot program called GOAL Line sends buses to the kids nearest school in their neighborhood and takes them to a school their parents would rather them go to.
- NMU working to bring rural school districts together
- > Jun 21, 6:07 AM: The program started January of 2018 and 12 rural school districts are participating. Northern Michigan University's is the only university recipient of a rural grant and participants take upward of 10 online credit hours
- Editorial: ‘Launch’ lasting school reform in Michigan
- > Jun 21, 4:50 AM: A new coalition of business, labor and philanthropic groups has come together with one mission: leading a long-term effort to improve Michigan’s schools. Launch Michigan officially launched on Wednesday, and the alliance
- ACES Academy to have new learning options next year
- > Jun 20, 6:21 AM: Counselor Barbara Matteson said there are going to be different learning options for the students next year. Those options are teacher-led blended courses, the continuation of co-enrollment opportunities at Alpena High
- Editorial: Lawmakers, governor step up for Michigan schools
- > Jun 20, 5:20 AM: It's campaign season in Michigan, in case you haven't noticed. And candidates for governor and the Legislature — especially Democrats — are blaming their Republican colleagues for many of the woes in education. But as this
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grand Valley Lanthorn - Online 100%
- Bay City Times 100%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- WXMI-TV - Online 0%
- Burton View - Online, The 0%