- Massachusetts Senate passes education reform bill
- Oct 4, 6:01 AM: The Massachusetts Senate passed a $1.5 billion education reform bill in a 39-0 vote Thursday night, and Sen. Jo Comerford, D-Northampton, is quite happy with the result.
- On eve of Massachusetts Senate vote, state releases district-by-district analysis of proposed education funding overhaul
- Oct 3, 5:20 AM: Under the education funding overhaul that the Senate will vote on Thursday, Springfield would get $234.6 million more in state aid for its schools in fiscal 2027 than it is getting this year.
- Opinion: School funding bill will change the game for disadvantaged students
- > Sep 30, 6:56 AM: Fulfilling the promise of public education as the great equalizer is our next big goal. Bay Staters believe in it. It’s a goal our constitution anchors us to. Now, that collective effort in advocating, crafting policy, and
- Editorial: A back-to-school gift for education
- > Sep 25, 7:04 AM: House and Senate leaders last week announced a school finance overhaul that has the support of key education groups who say the influx of $1.5 billion in new state money over the next seven years would dramatically change
- The new 10th-grade MCAS is tougher — and it shows
- > Sep 24, 5:08 AM: Dramatically fewer Massachusetts 10th-graders scored in the highest categories on the revamped MCAS exams last spring, a sign the new tests are far more rigorous than the ones they replaced, according to results released
- $1.4 billion education funding bill sparks unusual consensus
- > Sep 20, 5:32 AM: After months of debate, private discussions, lobbying, public hearings and massive rallies, the Legislature’s Education Commission released an education funding bill Thursday that appears to have garnered support from
- Opinion: An education promise we can keep
- > Sep 17, 5:41 AM: In 1993, Massachusetts enacted the most comprehensive education reform law in the country. It established a baseline foundation budget for every community, increased state and local funding to pay for it, created
- Sturgis Charter School to expand Main Street campus
- Sep 10, 5:56 AM: Sturgis Charter Public School has purchased a former bowling alley to better accommodate its East Campus students, according to school officials.
- Column: Charter schools are not free
- > Sep 5, 5:17 AM: Every child deserves a quality education. Parents have the right to make educational choices for their children. No one disputes either of these statements. However the choices parents make have consequences for their
- More high schools are forging a path to careers
- > Aug 30, 7:45 AM: As part of the state’s Innovation Pathways program, more high schools are creating specific college and career options to better engage students, prepare them for life after high school, and help businesses meet workforce
- Paulo Freire Charter School, displaced from Holyoke by Amazon warehouse, finds new home in Chicopee
- Aug 30, 6:59 AM: For the first time in six years, students at the Paulo Freire Social Justice Charter School walked into an “actual school” on their first day of classes Thursday.
- With Their School in Crisis, Tisbury Parents Lash Out at Selectmen
- > Aug 28, 7:36 AM: Faced with a building in crisis and a delayed start date for students, parents from the Tisbury School lashed out at town officials during a packed meeting Tuesday night, pleading for answers and calling for the
- New charter school proposed for Milford
- > Aug 16, 7:38 AM: An assistant principal at a Milford middle school is behind a proposal to open a charter school in town, according to an application received by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Proposed Westfield charter school would draw from Hampshire County
- > Aug 14, 7:02 AM: Four groups have proposed opening charter schools in Massachusetts next year, and one would draw students from several Hampshire County school districts, according to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- 4 groups apply to open charter schools in Massachusetts; 3 existing charters want to expand
- > Aug 12, 7:25 AM: Four groups have submitted initial proposals to open charter schools, and three existing charter schools requested to expand their enrollment, the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education announced
- Frustrated education activists stage ‘beach party’
Activists outraged by the lack of progress on an education funding bill set up a “beach party” outside the State House, hoping to tie the scene to what lawmakers will encounter on their coming August recess.>
Aug 2, 6:02 AM:
- Report: Massachusetts schools best in the nation — again
- > Aug 1, 7:09 AM: The state’s schools were the highest ranked in both math and reading test scores, as well as the lowest percentage of threatened and injured high school students. The state ranked in the top five in several other
- Burlington High School to launch Innovation Pathway program
- > Jul 30, 7:27 AM: BHS as well as three other schools — Agawam High School, Atlantis Charter School and Brockton High School — will start these new programs after receiving official designation status from the Departments of Elementary and
- Mass. Lawmakers Send $43.1B Budget To Gov. Baker
- Jul 24, 7:57 AM: The Massachusetts House and Senate on Monday adopted a $43.1 billion annual budget that lawmakers said offers the largest annual increase ever in K-12 education spending, a $269 million boost.
- Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School sues state education officials for denying the school permission to expand
The Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School in Hadley is challenging in court a decision by state education officials denying the school permission to expand.
Jul 24, 7:16 AM:
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Christian Science Monitor 100%
- MetroWest Daily News - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Harvard University Gazette - Online 0%
- Haverhill Gazette - Online, The 0%