- Pioneer Charter School of Science Outpaces state, local districts in MCAS
- > Oct 30, 5:02 AM: Pioneer Charter School of Science middle and high school students outperformed state averages and local districts in English, Math, and Science on the “Next Generation” and “Legacy” MCAS tests taken last spring.
- School board candidates talk charters, tight budgets
- > Oct 27, 6:16 AM: The candidates talked about a multitude of issues and almost always agreed in principle across the board. Candidates generally were against any potential expansion of charter schools, and for the most part, thought that
- Charter school campaign donation haunting state education secretary, Baker
- Oct 25, 6:19 AM: One of Gov. Charlie Baker's highest profile defeats since taking office almost three years ago came at the hands of voters who last fall rejected a ballot question to expand access to charter schools.
- Mohawk Sup’t to fight against charter school renewal
- > Oct 24, 5:13 AM: Saying the existence of the Four Rivers Charter Public School in Greenfield harms western Franklin County students “by exacerbating the financial instability of the entire region,” Mohawk Superintendent Michael Buoniconti
- New high school in Plymouth will be decidedly different
- Oct 23, 5:51 AM: Map Academy, a new public charter school for students in Plymouth, Carver and Wareham, is taking applications for classes to start that are to start next fall.
- Springfield Empowerment Zone middle schools struggle with new MCAS, but officials cite 'very encouraging results' in other measures
- > Oct 19, 7:05 AM: With three versions of the state's standardized assessment test given to Massachusetts students in the past few years, officials in Springfield said Wednesday a fair assessment of student growth is difficult to measure.
- Quiet push for unified enrollment
- > Oct 12, 5:23 AM: Under the bill, charter schools, which are publicly funded but privately operated, would be added into the school assignment lists that Boston Public School parents receive. Currently the assignment lists include only BPS
- West Roxbury residents hear about charter school plans
- Oct 10, 6:19 AM: Officials from Roxbury Prep said they hope to file plans for a three-story, 85,000 square-foot charter school on Belgrade Avenue near the West Roxbury police station by the end of this year.<
- Northampon City Council endorses resolution opposing expansion of local Chinese charter school
- Oct 6, 5:36 AM: Northampton City Council members unanimously endorsed a resolution opposing the expansion of the Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School (PVCICS) on Thursday night.
- Northampton City Council to vote on resolution opposing expansion of local Chinese charter school
- > Oct 5, 4:58 AM: The Northampton City Council plans to vote on a resolution Thursday night that would oppose the expansion of the Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School (PVCICS) on the grounds that its growth would hurt local
- Education Committee holds hearing on several charter school bills
- > Oct 4, 6:21 AM: The state’s Education Committee is considering public comment on several charter school and school choice bills, including one that would give communities more control in deciding where charter schools are located.
- SJC considers appeal to raise state charter school cap
- > Oct 3, 6:08 AM: The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court is wading into the thorny debate about whether the state’s limits on the number of charter schools that can operate is unconstitutional, giving charter-school advocates some hope
- SJC will hear appeal on charter school cap
- > Oct 2, 5:42 AM: The Supreme Judicial Court will take up an appeal next week of a lawsuit filed on behalf of five Boston Public Schools students who sought to lift the cap on charter schools after they argued they were being denied an
- Lynn charter proponent to submit full application
- Sep 27, 6:10 AM: The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) on Monday invited Equity Lab Charter School to submit a full application for its proposed Lynn charter school.
- Phoenix Academy moves forward with plan for regional charter school
- > Sep 27, 5:23 AM: Phoenix Academy, a charter public high school group that already has a relationship with Lawrence public schools, has been chosen by the state to move forward with an application to open a new school for students across
- Mass. education official defends donation to charter school effort
- > Sep 27, 5:18 AM: Paul Sagan, the chairman of the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education who is facing calls for his ouster after making previously undisclosed donations to a pro-charter-school ballot campaign, addressed
- Proposed New Bedford charter school hits another snag
- > Sep 26, 4:42 AM: The proposed New Bedford Cheironeum charter school has been overlooked for a third time. The school was not included in a list of proposals the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education green-lighted
- Mass. Teachers Union Pushes Petition Calling For State Board Of Education Chair's Firing
- > Sep 25, 5:05 AM: Teachers are keeping up their calls for Gov. Charlie Baker to dismiss state Board of Education Chairman Paul Sagan, citing his role in a dark money scandal that recently led to the largest fine in state campaign finance
- School official hit over donations to charter school advocacy group
- > Sep 21, 5:05 AM: When Paul Sagan, chairman of the state Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, faced calls for his resignation last September after it was revealed that he had donated $100,000 to a ballot campaign pushing the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Christian Science Monitor 100%
- MetroWest Daily News - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Harvard University Gazette - Online 0%
- Haverhill Gazette - Online, The 0%