- Libertas Academy, Springfield’s newest charter school, a labor of love, gratitude for founder Modest
- Apr 24, 7:07 AM: When the first 90 students at Libertas Academy, the city's newest public charter school, head to classes in August, they'll be living a dream come true for the school's founder, 28-year-old Modesto Montero.
- House budget more generous to local schools, but old issues persist
- > Apr 20, 6:23 AM: But according to the state’s district-by-district “cherry sheet” estimates, many districts in Central Massachusetts would see a relatively larger percentage funding increase, or in some cases even a net reduction, thanks to big
- Union accuses Boston School Department of trying to silence teachers
- Apr 12, 6:52 AM: The Boston Teachers Union Tuesday accused the School Department of intimidating teachers who speak with the news media and of trying to infringe upon their First Amendment rights.
- Schools getting attention of governor, nation for unique learning style
- > Apr 11, 6:21 AM: There’s a new type of learning in Springfield that’s getting the attention of the governor and the nation. It’s known as the empowerment zone and consists of 8 middle and high schools in the district. Simply put: Empowerment zone
- Sturbridge charter school seen draining money from Southbridge district
- > Apr 6, 5:14 AM: The charter school reached its first-year enrollment capacity of 160 students after a lottery on March 4. The student population will consist of 68 students from Southbridge, 28 students from Spencer-East Brookfield, 19 students
- Teaching collaborative brings together Boston’s public, charter, Catholic schools
- > Apr 4, 7:23 AM: As part of a citywide partnership scheduled to launch Tuesday, Boston educators from public, charter, and Catholic schools will teach their colleagues about best practices in the classroom in an effort to foster collaboration among
- KIPP signs agreement for $20M high school
- Apr 3, 6:34 AM: KIPP Massachusetts, which operates the Academy Lynn Public Charter School, has signed an agreement to purchase a former parking lot on Munroe Street that has been used as a community garden.
- With every name called, families cheer
- Mar 27, 7:00 AM: Julie Avelino and Yohanna Santos could barely contain their excitement March 11 upon learning that their children were accepted into Collegiate Charter School of Lowell.
- Boston Teachers Union rallies for a new contract
- Mar 23, 6:31 AM: More than a thousand Boston Public Schools teachers protested today outside the Bruce C. Bolling building for a new contract, claiming the city is being unfair to them and to students.
- Teachers union bigwig to join Boston contract protest tomorrow
- Mar 21, 6:53 AM: A leading national teachers union boss is set to hit the Hub tomorrow to headline a protest over stalled contract talks between the city and the teachers, local union officials confirm.
- Lowell school finally has a home, but blueprints are in works
- > Mar 21, 6:31 AM: Rome wasn't built in one day ... and neither is a K-12 charter school. After squeezing into multiple locations for three years, the Collegiate Charter School of Lowell built its own learning center and finally moved into its own
- Boston teachers’ union calls for protest as contract talks stall
- > Mar 15, 5:44 AM: The Boston Teachers Union is calling on its members to protest stalled contract talks after it says Boston Public Schools officials have “barely budged” on key issues, including pay equity for staffers at autonomous schools, paid
- Brockton mayor pleads for second year of full charter school reimbursement
- > Mar 14, 6:48 AM: Brockton's mayor is calling on the state to provide a second year of full reimbursement to the city's public school system after a new charter school caused uncertainty in Septemeber when it made a last-minute decision to open at a
- Libertas Academy, Springfield’s newest charter school, to hold enrollment lottery
- Mar 14, 6:37 AM: Libertas Academy, the city's newest public charter school, will hold a lottery Tuesday evening at the Naismith Memorial Basketball of Fame to select 90 students from the 180 applicants for its inaugural sixth-grade class.
- Malden officials advocate for new in-district charter or innovation school
- > Mar 8, 6:52 AM: Malden's school system could benefit from the conversion of one of its K-8 schools to an in-district charter school or an innovation school, said Interim Superintendent Charles Grandson and Ward 4 School Committee member Leonard
- Superintendents protest sci-tech charter school OK’d to open in Hampden County
- > Mar 6, 7:43 AM: A new charter school approved this week for Western Massachusetts will focus on students from Agawam, Holyoke, Westfield and West Springfield interested in math, science and technology, offering them daily lab courses and plenty of
- For Boston charters, a record spike in applicants
- > Mar 6, 7:35 AM: Applications for Boston charter schools for the upcoming school year have more than doubled, shattering previous records, following the launch of a new online enrollment system allowing families to apply to multiple schools at
- Gov. Charlie Baker calls November charter school vote a ‘mistake’ but respects voters’ will
- > Mar 3, 6:44 AM: Although Gov. Charlie Baker believes voters made a mistake when they rejected a proposed charter school expansion, he said he respects the will of voters and will be looking to other models to help children in failing schools,
- Alma del Mar accepts 57 new students in lottery
- > Mar 1, 7:37 AM: Penelope was one of 57 new students to be accepted to the New Bedford charter school. According to the school's founder and executive director, Will Gardner, the school received roughly 500 applications to fill 40 open seats in
- It’s official - Plymouth has a new charter high school
- Feb 28, 5:48 AM: A new charter school has been approved in Plymouth. The Map Academy Charter School's administration announced the approval on their Facebook page earlier this evening.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Christian Science Monitor 100%
- MetroWest Daily News - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Harvard University Gazette - Online 0%
- Haverhill Gazette - Online, The 0%