- Ruling returns charter schools lawsuit against Baltimore to circuit court
- > Dec 20, 6:14 AM: A ruling by the Maryland court of appeals has breathed new life into a lawsuit filed by a group of Baltimore charter school operators who have long alleged that the district's funding formula for charters violates state
- Monocacy Valley Montessori gets 10-year charter renewal
- Dec 18, 6:56 AM: The Board of Education has waived its policy on charter school renewal terms for a second time to give Monocacy Valley Montessori a new 10-year charter.
- Prince George’s Teachers’ Union Critical of School Board Structure
- > Dec 14, 7:26 AM: The Prince George’s County teachers’ union is railing against the current 13-member school board structure, particularly the appointment of three members by the county executive and another person by County Council.
- Charter school seeks 10-year charter renewal
- > Dec 5, 7:20 AM: The school is requesting a 10-year charter renewal, which would require the county’s Board of Education to waive its policy of five-year charter terms. The board will vote on whether to renew in December, and then will
- At one Baltimore public charter school, there's always time for a check-up
- > Nov 29, 7:19 AM: That's because KIPP is home to the Rales Health Center, a Johns Hopkins-administered program combining traditional school health services with an enhanced model that includes services such as check-ups, sports physicals,
- Community members speak in defense of city schools recommended for closure
- Nov 29, 7:10 AM: Standing outside the Baltimore city school district headquarters Tuesday, dozens of students and parents protested the recommended closure of William Pinderhughes Elementary/Middle School.
- Baltimore school board considering closing more city schools
- Nov 28, 6:32 AM: The Baltimore school system has recommended closing four more city schools, in addition to two others previously announced, because of declining enrollment and poor academic performance.
- Parents hope for second Baltimore County charter school
- Nov 27, 6:01 AM: Baltimore County may be opening the doors to a brand new public charter school. If it's approved, it would only be the second public charter school to ever open in Baltimore County.
- Teacher's union president sees 'collaborative' future with Howard County school system
- > Nov 13, 7:37 AM: Howard County Education Association’s new president, Colleen Morris, says the leadership of her predecessor was the driving force behind resolving “a lot of issues” impacting educators in the public school system.
- Maryland private school voucher program grows in second year
- > Oct 26, 5:44 AM: More than 2,600 Maryland students from low-income families received taxpayer-funded vouchers to The Baltimore Sun private or religious schools this year, the state Department of Education announced Wednesday.
- Private school loses state voucher money over anti-LGBT policy
- Oct 16, 5:20 AM: A state education panel has voted unanimously to rescind taxpayer-funded vouchers from a Harford County Lutheran school that said it reserved the right to deny admission to gay and transgender students.
- Monarch Academy exemplifies success of Md. charter schools, officials say
- Oct 11, 5:16 AM: Maryland has officially opened its 49th public charter school at a time when the state is trying to add even more charter schools to its list of options for students.
- Maryland education department, Baltimore public schools sign agreement to improve failing schools
- Sep 20, 5:06 AM: The Maryland State Department of Education will target principals in Baltimore for leadership training in a bid to turn around some of the city’s struggling schools, state and city officials said.
- Hogan refuses to sign off on Maryland education plan
- Sep 15, 4:42 AM: Gov. Larry Hogan is refusing to endorse the Maryland school board’s plan for helping low-performing schools, saying state board members were hamstrung by a new law limiting what the plan can include.
- ASPIRA Academy completes final expansion
- > Sep 13, 7:01 AM: The charter school has now taken over the sportplex’s space and added a second floor, along with a kitchen, gym, auditorium and outdoor learning space. The building’s facade has received an upgrade too, wiping away all
- Teachers union, city schools officials head to arbitration over layoffs
- > Aug 22, 6:40 AM: The Baltimore Teachers Union and school district lawyers are scheduled to meet next month to discuss grievances filed by union leaders over the district’s handling of layoffs of teachers and classroom aides earlier this
- Maryland, Baltimore education officials will collaborate to help city's worst performing schools
- Jul 27, 7:03 AM: Maryland education officials will meet with administrators of the 20 worst performing schools in Baltimore over two days next week to find ways to turn them around.
- Court of Appeals ruling paves way for more funding for Frederick Classical Charter
- Jul 19, 7:22 AM: A recent decision by the state’s highest court could ultimately require the county to provide Frederick Classical Charter School with more than $100,000 in funding.
- City gets state approval for plan to turn around failing schools
- > Jul 19, 6:10 AM: For the first time in a long time, the focus on Baltimore City is not of finances, but rather how to improve failing schools. The stamp of approval came Tuesday from the state Board of Education during its monthly
- Maryland state school board eyes possible loophole in governor's order on school calendars
- > Jul 19, 6:02 AM: When Gov. Larry Hogan tightened his executive order to start all public schools after Labor Day, he blocked some educators from wiggling out of the mandate by seeking waivers. But members of the state school board may have
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%