- Number of MCPS students opting for homeschooling, private school up this year
- Sep 23, 6:01 AM: As Montgomery County Public Schools’ enrollment dips, data show that more students than usual are opting for homeschooling and private schooling.
- Teachers Union Asks Education Leaders To Reject In-Person Learning Proposals
- Sep 1, 7:33 AM: The Maryland State Education Association wants state education officials to reject proposals to allow in-person learning for now.
- Opinion: Right before start of school year, Hogan pits parents against teachers
- Aug 31, 5:33 AM: On Thursday, Gov. Larry Hogan announced that he expects all public schools in Maryland to reopen with an in-person component. It was not an order, though, because he lacks that authority.
- Hogan pushes schools toward in-person classes
- > Aug 28, 7:28 AM: Just four days before the school year begins in many parts of Maryland, Gov. Larry Hogan (R) announced the state’s 24 school systems are “fully authorized to begin safely reopening” for in-person classes, based on
- As Public Schools Go Virtual, More Parents Consider Private
- Aug 20, 6:09 AM: As Baltimore-area school systems announce they’re going all virtual this fall, more parents are turning to private schools, where students will be in classrooms.
- Commentary: Shift to online classes in the pandemic shows the need for school choice
- > Aug 20, 5:40 AM: Parents in Annapolis spent June wondering if their children would go to school this fall. July brought hope when 78% of parents told Anne Arundel County that they wanted in-person classes or a hybrid offering.
- Pandemic parents: Why can child-care open in schools that won’t allow classes?
- > Aug 19, 7:54 AM: Schools in Montgomery County won’t open for traditional classes in the fall, but hundreds, maybe thousands, of elementary schoolchildren may be taking part in “distance learning hubs” in the same buildings that were closed
- Students’ safety is the biggest loser in the tug of war over opening Montgomery County private schools
- Aug 10, 7:54 AM: The dueling directives of the past week are bound to leave parents, teachers and students confused.
- Protesters decry shutdown order aimed at keeping private schools from reopening
- Aug 7, 7:17 AM: Parents and students rallied Wednesday evening in Rockville to protest Montgomery County’s attempts to prevent in-person instruction at private schools, calling it an overreach.
- Montgomery County issues new order to block in-person classes at private schools until October
- > Aug 6, 6:56 AM: Montgomery County officials doubled down on their efforts to keep private and religious schools closed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, issuing a new order Wednesday to block in-person classes until October.
- Many Anne Arundel private schools will open in person classes this fall
- Aug 4, 6:20 AM: Many Anne Arundel County private schools plan to reopen at least partially in person this fall after working with educators and parents and considering health guidelines.
- New order by Maryland Gov. Hogan says county officials can’t stop schools from reopening
- > Aug 4, 5:52 AM: Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan on Monday stripped local governments of their authority to prohibit schools from opening amid the coronavirus pandemic. His order overturned a decision by Montgomery County officials to shutter
- Montgomery County health officials bar private schools from in-person classes in the fall
- > Aug 3, 6:21 AM: Montgomery County’s top health official has barred private schools from reopening this fall as many had planned, making the county the first in the state to issue such an edict and attracting the ire of Gov. Larry Hogan.
- Maryland schools pursue innovative solutions for the fall | COMMENTARY
- > Jul 28, 6:14 AM: Online and blended learning will indeed play an increasingly important role in education for Maryland students in the future and it is already succeeding in some cases (”Schools reopening: Here’s how Maryland jurisdictions
- Education advocates warn thousands of Maryland children will fall behind academically without in-person schooling
- > Jul 24, 8:09 AM: While the decision to keep central Maryland school buildings closed through January may protect students and staff from the coronavirus, education advocates say the choice also means thousands of children will likely
- Maryland teachers unions, PTA call for virtual-only start to school this fall amid coronavirus pandemic
- > Jul 15, 8:09 AM: A coalition including the Maryland State Education Association, the Baltimore Teachers Union and the Maryland PTA called on state officials Tuesday to start the academic year in an online-only setting as the coronavirus
- Will Supreme Court decision bring more school choice to Maryland | COMMENTARY
- > Jul 10, 7:44 AM: Although Maryland does offer some charter school options and a private school voucher program, the Cato Institute ranks Maryland’s educational freedom 46th out of 50 states. In total, less than 3% of Maryland students
- Md. survey shows distance learning disparities, but hardest-hit school districts aren’t revealed
- Jun 2, 6:29 AM: As many as 15% of students in at least one Maryland county have not participated in distance learning in any form since schools were closed down in mid-March.
- Maryland Gov. Hogan’s veto of school funding plan hurts our children’s futures
- > May 29, 8:14 AM: Maryland has an unfortunate history of failing our children when times get tough. In 2002, the General Assembly adopted the “Thornton formula” and invested $3.2 billion to ensure schools had the resources necessary to
- In Montgomery County, schools and parents clash over how much teachers and students are connecting
- > May 20, 6:43 AM: The first sound of a teacher’s voice leading a lesson, he said, came about six weeks into the school closures. Even now, he said, his 12-year-old daughter’s teachers mostly post assignments and recorded materials, leaving
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%