- Christina revamping high schools to focus on specific career pathways
- > Sep 14, 6:09 AM: On Monday, the school board approved the district’s plan that will transform Newark, Glasgow and Christiana high schools by creating structured, concentrated pathways that will give each school a specific brand and focus
- Over 500 students on Chesapeake Public Charter School wait list, school staff say
- > Sep 5, 5:42 AM: While most St. Mary’s public school students kicked off the school year yesterday, staff and students at the charter school have been back in class since mid-August, with a student demographic this year that better mirrors
- On the first day of class, Hogan and Jealous battle for education-minded voters
- > Sep 5, 5:07 AM: In nearly four years in office, Hogan has emphasized seeking accountability on the billions the state already spends on school and giving more choice to parents via charter schools, vouchers and tax breaks for donations to
- Baltimore schools stepping up efforts to recruit, retain more black teachers
- > Aug 31, 6:55 AM: The city has for years struggled to recruit and retain a teaching force that reflects the children it serves. The challenge persists even as research emerges showing that a black person’s presence at the front of a
- Advisory panels say improving Maryland's public schools will require expanded pre-K and changes to teacher pay
- > Aug 24, 5:13 AM: A commission examining how to overhaul Maryland’s public schools system received far-reaching recommendations Thursday that call for major expansions of early childhood education and a change in how teachers are paid.
- Editorial: Pursue charter school for right reasons, not to save North Carroll building
- > Aug 10, 7:30 AM: Following County Commissioner turned Board of Education candidate Doug Howard’s meeting at the end of last month, in which he put forward the idea of bringing a charter school to continue using the North Carroll High
- Editorial: North Carroll charter school worth exploring, but not a sure thing
- > Aug 1, 7:26 AM: We’re not opposed to a public charter school in Carroll County. In fact, we think it would be welcomed by many county residents. But the process to opening a charter school is not a simple one, nor should it be expected to
- Hampstead residents come out to talk charter school at North Carroll
- > Jul 31, 6:05 AM: An email blast Friday afternoon gave Hampstead residents short notice of a community meeting hosted by Commissioner Doug Howard, R-District 5, on Monday night to discuss the future of North Carroll High School.
- Proposed Baltimore County charter school takes application fight to state officials
- Jul 11, 5:23 AM: A group of Baltimore County parents attempting to open a nature-oriented charter school have hit roadblocks at the county level and are now taking their case to the state school board.
- How one Maryland high school successfully boosted minority student enrollment in advanced classes
- > Jul 10, 6:10 AM: But strong supports for students and their teachers can lead to raised expectations, greater challenges and very real successes. That’s the path taken by Maryland’s Hammond High School, where faculty and staff, parents and
- Baltimore Teachers Helping To Enroll Students Into School
- > Jul 2, 7:11 AM: Over the next five weeks, the teachers could help find $3.5 million for Baltimore City Schools. Last year, they hit 36,000 homes and in the process they got parents to register their kids for the first time and talked
- Hogan announces $18M for education initiatives
- > Jun 22, 5:43 AM: Governor Larry Hogan today announced $18.6 million in new education funding to go toward a series of initiatives, including recommendations from Maryland’s Commission on Innovation and Excellence in Education, known as the
- Maryland’s governor stands up to a misguided effort from teachers unions
- > Jun 5, 6:29 AM: A bill that would have changed the composition of the Maryland State Board of Education by adding three seats that would have gone to two current teachers and the parent of a current public school student was vetoed May 24
- Baltimore school board considering six new charter schools
- > Jun 4, 7:17 AM: The school, which aims to produce the next generation of global leaders, is looking to open a second location in West Baltimore in the 2019-20 school year. It’s one of six charter school applications that the school board
- The Radical Self-Reliance of Black Homeschooling
- > May 18, 7:09 AM: Racial inequality in Baltimore’s public schools is in part the byproduct of long-standing neglect. In a system in which eight out of 10 studentsare black, broken heaters forced students to learn in frigid temperatures this
- Charter school grant could mean more open seats in Anne Arundel County
- May 17, 5:03 AM: Maryland is set to give away millions of dollars to groups hoping to start or expand public charter schools.
- Baltimore charter school leaders feel shortchanged in next year's budget
- May 16, 5:35 AM: Those who run the three dozen charter schools in Baltimore City say they are being shortchanged in next year's budget.
- Opinion: Who wants to run this ‘exceptionally messy’ school system?
- > May 9, 5:09 AM: What has made Prince George’s “exceptionally messy,” in the words of one national educational policy expert to The Post’s Donna St. George, are long-standing political tensions centered on issues of school governance.
- Archdiocese of Baltimore plans to build first new Catholic school in city in more than 50 years
- > May 1, 5:53 AM: In recent years, Caine said, enrollment in the system has stabilized. Part of that can be attributed to a voucher program Gov. Larry Hogan launched in 2016, called Broadening Options and Opportunities for Students Today.
- Baker’s public schools takeover: Achievement or Achilles’ heel?
- > May 1, 5:44 AM: Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III took the bold step five years ago of asking state lawmakers to make him responsible for the county’s educational system, convinced that students needed better options
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%