- Baltimore school board votes to revoke charter of Banneker Blake Academy, makes other closure recommendations
- > Nov 14, 6:47 AM: Dressed in maroon and gold, supporters of Banneker Blake Academy packed the Baltimore school board meeting Tuesday night. Parents, teachers and students at the all-boys public charter spilled over into overflow rooms,
- Chesapeake Public Charter School named one of 'America's Healthiest Schools'
- Nov 14, 5:44 AM: The Chesapeake Public Charter School is being touted as one of America’s Healthiest Schools along with five other Maryland schools, thanks to its physical education programs and mealtime activities.
- Parents, Teachers Protest Proposed Closure Of Baltimore Charter School
- Nov 13, 9:20 AM: Supporters of Banneker Blake Academy are rallying against a decision to close the school before the school commission holds a vote Tuesday morning.
- Maryland state school board backs away from allowing non-educators to become school superintendents
- > Oct 24, 5:05 AM: Want to be a school superintendent in Maryland? Successful business people, military generals and foundation leaders still cannot apply. Maryland will continue to require its superintendents to have specific academic
- ACLU joins students’ challenge to Prince George’s summer school tuition prices
- > Oct 22, 4:36 AM: The American Civil Liberties Union has joined four Prince George’s students’ challenge to a summer school tuition policy, arguing the costs are too burdensome for some families and inhibit students from graduating.
- Post-U. Md. poll: Maryland parents say crowded classrooms are a problem
- > Oct 15, 6:50 AM: More than 6 in 10 Maryland parents with children 18 or younger believe crowded classrooms are a problem in their schools, according to a new poll that also shows substantial concern about low test scores and overtesting.
- Montgomery County upgrades vocational training
- > Oct 15, 5:25 AM: The 171,526-square-foot structure in Silver Spring sits next to the building that previously housed the school, which remains fenced off. More than 850 students are dually enrolled at Edison, which means they spend three
- Expanded early college program allows Howard students to get a 'JumpStart'
- > Sep 27, 6:13 AM: Nationwide, nearly 1.4 million high school students participated in dual enrollment programs in the 2010-2011 school year, an estimated 67 percent increase between 2002 to 2010, according to the Community College Research
- Watershed Charter School will provisionally be granted charter to operate in Baltimore County
- Sep 26, 6:39 AM: A new charter school may open in Baltimore County as long as it can find a space to operate within the next two years.
- Boundary struggles: A Maryland school system looks for more diversity
- > Sep 26, 5:44 AM: Montgomery County’s school system is diverse, but its schools are less so. Some have high poverty rates, while others are tucked into affluent enclaves of the Maryland suburbs. Many bring together large percentages of
- Christina revamping high schools to focus on specific career pathways
- > Sep 14, 6:09 AM: On Monday, the school board approved the district’s plan that will transform Newark, Glasgow and Christiana high schools by creating structured, concentrated pathways that will give each school a specific brand and focus
- Over 500 students on Chesapeake Public Charter School wait list, school staff say
- > Sep 5, 5:42 AM: While most St. Mary’s public school students kicked off the school year yesterday, staff and students at the charter school have been back in class since mid-August, with a student demographic this year that better mirrors
- On the first day of class, Hogan and Jealous battle for education-minded voters
- > Sep 5, 5:07 AM: In nearly four years in office, Hogan has emphasized seeking accountability on the billions the state already spends on school and giving more choice to parents via charter schools, vouchers and tax breaks for donations to
- Baltimore schools stepping up efforts to recruit, retain more black teachers
- > Aug 31, 6:55 AM: The city has for years struggled to recruit and retain a teaching force that reflects the children it serves. The challenge persists even as research emerges showing that a black person’s presence at the front of a
- Advisory panels say improving Maryland's public schools will require expanded pre-K and changes to teacher pay
- > Aug 24, 5:13 AM: A commission examining how to overhaul Maryland’s public schools system received far-reaching recommendations Thursday that call for major expansions of early childhood education and a change in how teachers are paid.
- Editorial: Pursue charter school for right reasons, not to save North Carroll building
- > Aug 10, 7:30 AM: Following County Commissioner turned Board of Education candidate Doug Howard’s meeting at the end of last month, in which he put forward the idea of bringing a charter school to continue using the North Carroll High
- Editorial: North Carroll charter school worth exploring, but not a sure thing
- > Aug 1, 7:26 AM: We’re not opposed to a public charter school in Carroll County. In fact, we think it would be welcomed by many county residents. But the process to opening a charter school is not a simple one, nor should it be expected to
- Hampstead residents come out to talk charter school at North Carroll
- > Jul 31, 6:05 AM: An email blast Friday afternoon gave Hampstead residents short notice of a community meeting hosted by Commissioner Doug Howard, R-District 5, on Monday night to discuss the future of North Carroll High School.
- Proposed Baltimore County charter school takes application fight to state officials
- Jul 11, 5:23 AM: A group of Baltimore County parents attempting to open a nature-oriented charter school have hit roadblocks at the county level and are now taking their case to the state school board.
- How one Maryland high school successfully boosted minority student enrollment in advanced classes
- > Jul 10, 6:10 AM: But strong supports for students and their teachers can lead to raised expectations, greater challenges and very real successes. That’s the path taken by Maryland’s Hammond High School, where faculty and staff, parents and
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%