- Equity: Board of Education debates plan to serve minority students
- > Mar 14, 6:59 AM: A proposed committee to address systemic inequities in Frederick County Public Schools opened a conversation among members of the Board of Education about how to best serve students who have historically been underserved
- Thousands of Maryland teachers rally for education funding in Annapolis
- > Mar 12, 6:26 AM: The teachers joined thousands of others at “March for Our Schools.” The event drew teachers from across the state who convened in front of the State Capitol to demand more school funding, higher wages and expanded
- Thousands of Maryland teachers to rally in Annapolis Monday for more school funding
- Mar 11, 7:20 AM: Thousands of Maryland teachers and education advocates are expected to pour into Annapolis for a march and rally to push for more school funding Monday night.
- Opinion: Md.'s 'Red for Ed' moment
- > Mar 11, 5:43 AM: Fortunately, legislators have worked with education advocates and experts to develop a plan that can finally deliver on the promise of equal opportunity no matter your ZIP code. They are aptly calling it The Blueprint for
- Editorial: Maryland still has no idea how to fix its public schools
- Mar 11, 5:34 AM: Unfortunately, though, the commission was not nearly as daring when it came to remedies. Instead it opted to embrace the same old formula of more school spending, which has proved to be ineffective.
- In Annapolis, Kirwan commission head sounds alarm about need to increase Maryland public school funding
- > Mar 6, 6:31 AM: Kirwan — who is leading a commission studying how best to improve Maryland’s public schools — joined Democratic leaders in Annapolis to rally support for legislation that would provide more than $1 billion over the next
- Maryland State School Board considers changes to star rating system for schools
- Feb 27, 8:03 AM: The Maryland State School Board is considering changes to its newly released star rating system for schools after some complaints that it was too easy to earn a high rating.
- New leader brings fresh eyes to Frederick Classical Charter School
- Feb 19, 7:07 AM: Frederick Classical Charter School’s new principal doesn’t settle for the middle of the pack, and she’s wasted no time adding a much-needed surge of strong leadership to make improvements since her tenure began in July.
- Parents: Gov. Hogan is sabotaging city schools
- > Feb 6, 8:00 AM: Governor Hogan — who has consistently underfunded Baltimore schools — plans to take $1.2 million from the state’s Healthy School Facility Fund and redirect it exclusively to charter schools. These dollars are desperately
- Baltimore charter school working to narrow 'startling' achievement gap
- > Jan 30, 7:54 AM: Maryland has long struggled to close the gap between how black and white students perform on standardized tests. Black students in Baltimore, on average, are academically 1.9 grades behind white students, according to a
- Gov. Larry Hogan announces plan to boost charter schools in Maryland
- > Jan 24, 8:09 AM: Speaking at College Park Academy in Prince George’s County, Hogan proposed new legislation and increased funding for charter schools in Maryland — including $2.6 million in his fiscal year 2020 budget for construction
- Baltimore school board votes to close five schools
- Jan 9, 6:46 AM: The Baltimore school board voted Tuesday to close five schools, adding to the dozens that have been shuttered in the district over the past decade.
- Letter: Closing of Monarch Academy more about dislike for charters than problems with the school
- > Jan 7, 8:23 AM: In Talia Richman’s article, "As Baltimore prepares to close more schools, many worry about the communities they anchor", Dec. 27), she includes Baltimore City Public Schools’ rationale for closing Monarch Academy
- Monarch Academy students look to City Hall to save school
- > Jan 4, 7:59 AM: Students and staff at Baltimore's Monarch Academy aren't giving up without a fight. They have staged many demonstrations since the school district recommended shutting down the school months ago. On Thursday, they took
- OpEd: Closing Monarch Academy Baltimore will traumatize students
- > Jan 2, 7:29 AM: In fact, the majority of Monarch students will not benefit academically from the school’s closure because 67 percent will be returned to neighborhood zone schools with academic performance outcomes that are no better — and
- Baltimore County charter school expects to open in fall — featuring 10 acres of woods, fields and a stream
- > Jan 2, 7:07 AM: A Baltimore County charter school designed to get children outside into an environment of streams, woods and fields is expected to open next fall in Woodlawn, despite initial difficulties in gaining county school board
- As Baltimore prepares to close more schools, many worry about the communities they anchor
- > Dec 28, 6:36 AM: Schools often are more than just a place to go to class — particularly in poor communities where they may be home to food pantries, meeting spaces and other much-needed resources. But district officials say the closures
- Maryland Gov. Hogan to introduce legislation to add more schools to tech education program
- Dec 21, 7:19 AM: Gov. Larry Hogan announced legislation and new funding Thursday to expand the number of schools participating in the state’s technology education program.
- Ambitious Md. effort to boost, change education funding delayed another year
- > Dec 20, 6:30 AM: The recommendations, designed to ensure that all students, regardless of race and ethnicity, are “college- and career-ready” by grade 10, include broadly expanding early-childhood education, sharply increasing teacher pay
- Watershed Public Charter School finds a building in Baltimore County
- Dec 17, 8:05 AM: A new charter school in Baltimore County is one step closer to becoming a reality. The founders of Watershed Public Charter School say they have found a building for their school in Woodlawn.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%