- School scoring bill sent to Hogan, who promises veto
- Mar 29, 4:56 AM: Democrats in the Maryland General Assembly on Tuesday passed legislation establishing parameters for school evaluations that the state school board strongly opposes and Gov. Larry Hogan has promised to veto.
- Hogan pledges veto of bill that would limit Maryland school reforms
- > Mar 23, 5:30 AM: Gov. Larry Hogan is pledging to veto a bill moving through the General Assemblythat would prevent the state from enacting controversial reforms for struggling schools that have been championed by the Republican governor and members
- Educators march in Annapolis to promote the Protect Our Schools agenda
- Mar 14, 6:06 AM: Evansky, along with others marching have taken issue with several different measures, including BOOST, which is a private school voucher program.
- Hogan’s budget moves to House floor, growth in private school scholarships cut
- Mar 13, 7:15 AM: The longest and most substantial debate occurred over a nearly $5 million cut in Hogan’s proposed funding of the BOOST Program to pay for scholarships of low-income students to private schools, including religious ones.
- House committee kills Hogan’s bill on Maryland charter school authority
- Mar 6, 7:01 AM: A House of Delegates committee has killed a flagship item on Gov. Larry Hogan's legislative agenda, turning down a measure setting up a statewide authority to oversee charter schools.
- Education groups take stand against increased BOOST funding
- Mar 1, 7:17 AM: State education groups are taking aim at Gov. Larry Hogan's plan to increase spending for public-school students who want a private or non-public school education.
- Pugh urges lawmakers to return school board appointments to City Hall
- Feb 22, 6:11 AM: Mayor Catherine Pugh called on state legislators Tuesday to return control of Baltimore school board appointments to City Hall for the first time in 20 years.
- Charter school makes case as possibility for former Lincoln Elementary building
- > Feb 9, 6:53 AM: Advocates for the charter school want to lease the former Lincoln Elementary School. About 15 staff members, parents and students who spoke at Wednesday’s meeting said the current school building doesn’t have a kitchen, cafeteria or
- Busch, teachers union vow to fight privatization of public schools
- > Feb 9, 6:36 AM: In a press conference, House Speaker Michael E. Busch, D-Annapolis, joined Maryland State Education Association President Betty Weller and dozens of General Assembly Democrats to take aim at proposals from Gov. Larry Hogan that
- Maryland Democrats blast Hogan’s education agenda, likening it to Trump’s
- Feb 8, 6:21 AM: Dozens of Democrats joined the state teachers union to decry bills backed by Gov. Larry Hogan that would provide scholarships to private schools and encourage more charter schools in Maryland.
- Hogan’s bill to add freedom for charter schools opposed by teachers’ union
- Feb 7, 5:48 AM: Legislation from Gov. Larry Hogan would significantly relax restrictions on Maryland charter schools, but has already drawn strong criticism from the state teachers’ union.
- Hogan pitches charter school expansion, again
- Jan 26, 6:19 AM: Republican Gov. Larry Hogan on Wednesday announced plans to encourage more charter schools by sidestepping local districts' authority to authorize and fund them.
- Report Card Measures Education Spending In Maryland
- Jan 25, 7:46 AM: A report just out gives us a pretty good idea how much money is spent per student at Maryland's public charter schools, compared to traditional schools.
- How accessible are Frederick County’s charter schools?
- > Jan 23, 7:01 AM: None of the county charter schools — the Classical school, Carroll Creek Montessori Public Charter School or Monocacy Valley Montessori Public Charter, all Frederick based — offer busing. The lack of transportation has called into
- Maryland tuition-aid program mostly helps students already in private schools
- > Jan 18, 5:56 AM: More than 500 public school students in Maryland were able to attend private schools this year through a controversial new program that offers state grants of up to $4,400 to help defray tuition costs, state education officials
- Newark Charter celebrates second Blue Ribbon School award
- Jan 12, 6:59 AM: Last week, the school kicked off a months-long celebration of the honor when students gathered outside to watch as student council leaders raised a flag emblazoned with the National Blue Ribbon School logo.
- Christiana High to open middle school honors academy as district looks to retain students
- > Jan 6, 7:09 AM: The middle school honors academy is the latest step in the Christina School District’s attempt to beef up its educational offerings in order to retain students in the face of increasing competition from charter schools and other
- Proposed tuition voucher program would help private schools
- > Jan 4, 5:51 AM: A proposed funding increase for the Broadening Options and Opportunities for Students Today program, a partial state tuition voucher initiative for low-income students, will swell from $5 million to $10 million over the next three
- Monarch Academy plans two information sessions in Annapolis as application deadline looms
- Jan 3, 6:35 AM: The Children's Guild also operates a contract school in Laurel and a charter school in Glen Burnie. Contract schools, like charter schools, are independently operated but have to meet county public school standards.
- Hogan wants to expand state-funded, private school scholarships. But is the time right?
- Dec 27, 6:08 AM: Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan’s plan to double the amount of money the state spends to provide scholarships for students to attend private schools is not sitting well with top legislative leaders.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- ExploreHoward.com 83%
- Baltimore Sun 70%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Diamondback - Online, The 0%
- CBS Baltimore 17%