- School choice dispute leads to lawsuit in York County
- > Apr 8, 5:04 AM: Thornton Academy in Saco and the parents of at least 12 students from Arundel have sued Regional School Unit 21, arguing that the Kennebunk-based district has illegally deprived Arundel students of their right to attend
- RSU 18, Snow Pond charter school negotiate agreement to share services
- Mar 8, 7:58 AM: School district officials in Oakland are negotiating a memorandum of understanding to provide transportation and food services for the nearby Sidney school slated to open in the fall.
- Special Ed students thriving in charter schools
- > Mar 3, 7:22 AM: A couple of years after being approved by lawmakers, a little more than 1,500 students are enrolled in Maine's public charter schools. The majority of the schools have waiting lists for students who want an alternative
- Charter commission approves new Lewiston-Auburn school
- Mar 2, 6:01 AM: State charter school officials approved the latest charter school on Tuesday, launching Acadia Academy, a new school in the Lewiston-Auburn area, to open this fall for up to 128 pre-K to 2nd graders.
- Contract approved for performing-arts charter school in Sidney
- Feb 3, 5:59 AM: The group responsible for oversight of Maine’s charter schools unanimously approved on Tuesday a contract for a new, performing arts-focused school based in Sidney.
- Charter School Supporters Rally in Augusta
- Jan 26, 7:24 AM: Supporters of school choice held rallies across the nation today. The gatherings, marking the kickoff of National School Choice Week, included an afternoon event at the state capitol in Augusta.
- Virtual charter school in Maine struggling to retain students
- Jan 7, 6:28 AM: The state’s newest virtual charter school is struggling to keep students in its debut year, with a quarter of those enrolled withdrawing since online classes started in September 2015.
- Maine Virtual Academy charter school says 25 percent of its students withdrew since it opened this fall
- > Jan 6, 6:55 AM: Maine’s newest charter school, Maine Virtual Academy, has seen 25 percent of its student body withdraw from the school since it opened this fall and continues to have a high number of “truants” who are not logging on
- Maine looks to capitalize on education power shift
- > Dec 21, 6:06 AM: After years of crafting Maine education policy to meet strict federal rules under No Child Left Behind, state education officials are digging into the details of the new federal education law that reverts much of the
- Special education students drawn to Maine charter schools
- > Dec 14, 6:49 AM: Parents and charter school advocates in Maine say there are several likely reasons that families with special ed students are attracted to Maine’s charter schools: The schools are new, offering a fresh start for a
- For charter school fans in Maine, a couple of new options
- > Nov 18, 6:17 AM: Two more charter schools are poised to open next fall in Maine after the Maine Charter School Commission voted Tuesday to move forward on contract talks with a performing arts high school in Sidney and an elementary school
- Two groups pitch charter school proposals to Maine commission
- > Oct 27, 5:50 AM: Two groups hoping to open charter schools in Maine next fall went over details of their proposals before the Maine Charter School Commission on Monday during a series of interviews and public hearings in advance of the
- Maine Virtual Academy celebrates opening in Augusta
- > Oct 21, 5:10 AM: As of Tuesday, the enrollment was 288, up from 277 on Oct. 1. The school’s enrollment is capped at 297. Beth Lorigan, chief executive officer of the academy, said once that point is reached, prospective students will go on
- Two of 4 Maine charter school applicants advance to next stage
- Oct 14, 5:59 AM: The Maine Charter School Commission voted Tuesday to move forward with two of four groups that hope to open new charter schools in Maine.
- Good Will-Hinckley campus shines a light on sustainability, expansion
- > Oct 1, 5:58 AM: The sun wasn’t shining Wednesday afternoon, but the lights were still on at the Maine Academy of Natural Sciences, where the school recently installed more than 200 electricity-generating solar panels.
- Probe finds state moved to cut school’s funding after it hired LePage rival
- > Sep 9, 6:25 AM: Legislative investigators found that the LePage administration moved to withhold funding from a Fairfield charter school after the governor expressed opposition to its plans to hire House Speaker Mark Eves as its next
- Maine's first online charter school begins its second year
- Sep 9, 5:45 AM: Maine Connections Academy is the state's first online charter school. It is the second year for the school, which has a waiting list of 200.
- Harpswell charter school takes off at new Brunswick campus
- > Sep 3, 6:33 AM: Standing outside his school’s new campus at Brunswick Landing, Matt Hamilton smiled and asked a question. “How many kids show up to school with nothing on the wall and no desks?” the assistant head of school at Harpswell
- Virtual schools see higher enrollment
- Sep 2, 5:28 AM: Maine's second virtual public charter school started classes Tuesday, providing families and students an alternative option to traditional schools.
- Four groups apply to open Maine charter schools in 2016
- Sep 2, 5:26 AM: Four groups have submitted applications to start Maine’s next charter schools and now will work with the state to determine whether they’ll be allowed to welcome students next year.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Kennebec Journal - Online/ Associated Press 83%
- Portland Press Herald 72%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Maine Sunday Telegram - Online 17%
- Kennebec Journal 33%