- Some changes, many questions for Lafayette schools of choice
- > Oct 19, 4:59 AM: The Lafayette Parish School Board on Wednesday approved changes to dozens of specialized academy programs across the district. However, the board pulled some of the more contentious changes for later consideration and left
- School of Choice proposals meet resistance
- Oct 18, 4:42 AM: The Lafayette Parish School Board is considering sweeping changes to dozens of specialized academy programs across the district.
- New Orleans charters felt pressured to promise miraculous progress -- but none met the targets
- > Oct 17, 7:22 AM: In 2008, a few years after Hurricane Katrina, school officials in Louisiana asked aspiring charter-school leader Andrew Shahan to consider taking over the failing Dr. Charles Drew Elementary School in New Orleans' Upper
- Parents raise questions at Lafayette's Schools of Choice meeting
- Oct 16, 4:45 AM: The Lafayette Parish School Board's Schools of Choice committee is evaluating its proposed changes to the program after Saturday's public meeting.
- Debate over busing for New Orleans schools pits school autonomy vs. parent choice
- Oct 16, 4:33 AM: When Einstein Charter Schools was cited last month for failing to provide busing for students in its elementary grades, Nikisha Bartholomew wasn’t surprised.
- Louisiana charter school monitoring needs improvement, audit says
- > Oct 10, 5:16 AM: A state audit released Monday criticizes how Louisiana's education department monitors charter schools, and calls on the agency to tighten its reviews to better track the performance of schools that educate tens of
- Louisiana Supreme Court case puts future of more than 3 dozen charter schools in jeopardy, has families on edge
- Oct 9, 6:16 AM: Christin Kaiser's daughter Mary-Grace is one of the roughly 16,000 students caught in the middle of a lawsuit before the Louisiana Supreme Court over the fate of more than three dozen charter schools.
- East Feliciana Schools superintendent to propose online school in attempt to stem loss of students
- Oct 4, 6:03 AM: East Feliciana Parish's school superintendent told the School Board on Tuesday he will soon propose an online school in an attempt to stem the loss of students to charter schools approved by the state.
- Waiting In The Dark: In NOLA, School Choice Brings Early Mornings, Long Bus Rides
- > Oct 3, 4:39 AM: New Orleans is one of few cities in the country that's all in on charter schools. More than 90 percent of Orleans Parish public school students attend charter schools. Leaders of the city's post-Katrina education overhaul
- Einstein Charter School Board To Fight District Allegations Of Noncompliance
- Sep 27, 5:46 AM: Einstein Charter Schools is planning to take legal action against the Orleans Parish School Board over allegations that it has failed to provide bus service to students.
- Einstein Charter Schools mull legal action amid transportation challenges
- > Sep 26, 5:40 AM: The Einstein Charter Schools network plans to work with Adams and Reese attorney Lee Reid to discuss "legal remedies" against the Orleans Parish School Board after the district deemed the charter group "non-compliant" last
- How Louisiana cut number of tenured teachers in half
- > Sep 25, 6:39 AM: Education reformers saw tenure, which was routinely granted to teachers after three years, as an impediment to removing ineffective teachers from school classrooms. They wanted the job protection tied to how well a
- Einstein Charter Schools Deemed Noncompliant For Providing Inadequate Transportation
- > Sep 22, 6:40 AM: Einstein Charter Schools are in trouble for failing to provide adequate transportation to their students. WWNO has obtained a notice of noncompliance sent from the Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) to Einstein Charter
- Report: Traditional public school teachers absent more than those in charter schools
- Sep 20, 5:50 AM: Louisiana teachers in traditional public schools are nearly three times more likely to be chronically absent than charter school teachers, according to a national study released Tuesday.
- Red River Charter will bus supporters to BESE meeting
- > Sep 13, 6:58 AM: It will be a different kind of “school bus” for a “different kind of school” when Red River Charter Academy supporters travel by bus to attend the state Board of Elementary & Secondary Education meeting on Oct. 17. For the
- State Supreme Court Looks at Constitutionality of Charter Funding
- Sep 6, 5:58 AM: The Louisiana Supreme Court heard arguments Tuesday on the constitutionality of funding Type-2 charter schools through the MFP.
- La. charter school suit heads to Supreme Court Tuesday
- Sep 5, 5:54 AM: The Louisiana Supreme Court is set to hear arguments Tuesday that could affect the future of several of the state’s charter schools.
- First NBC collapse, new law shake up how Louisiana's private school choice program is funded
- > Sep 5, 4:28 AM: The Tuition Donation Rebate program is the lesser known sister to the state’s much larger private school voucher program. While both were approved by the Legislature in 2012, lawmakers recently reworked the rebate program,
- Start Of School Year Brings More Schools Under Local Control
- > Aug 22, 4:53 AM: Summer break is over. This month, kids across New Orleans are trading swimsuits and morning cartoons for fresh notebooks and unsharpened pencils. For nine schools that used to be in the state's Recovery School District,
- La. Supreme Court to hear charter school funding suit Sept. 5
- > Aug 15, 6:47 AM: Avoyelles Parish, and those who want the state to end the funding of competing public schools within a public school district, may be one step closer to getting their wish soon. The Louisiana Supreme Court is scheduled to
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%