- Hope for Tallulah Charter? Board leaders negotiate with online school
- > May 31, 5:35 AM: Students at Tallulah Charter School might have an alternative to Madison Parish public schools this fall. The Rev. K. D'Wayne Grayson, board president of Tallulah Charter School, contacted The News-Star Wednesday with a
- Charter-school friendly group launches ad campaign ahead of East Baton Rouge School Board election
- > May 29, 4:29 AM: Starting Tuesday, a charter-school friendly group is running digital ads, as well as some TV and radio spots aiming to persuade Baton Rouge voters to sign onto a “new vision of success focused on excellence, equity and
- Column: State JCPS takeover plan is misguided and a sign of potential tyranny
- > May 25, 5:11 AM: Louisvillians should be alarmed by the proposed state takeover of the Jefferson County Public Schools. Such a step could have long-term consequences for local citizens – whether they have children in the schools or not –
- Einstein Charter spent $85,000 on lawyers during busing dispute
- > May 23, 6:03 AM: The findings of a records request initiated by the attorneys of parents with children attending Einstein Charter Schools revealed the charter network invested tens of thousands of dollars on legal services amid the dispute
- Survey shows Louisiana teachers support a strike for pay raises
- > May 22, 6:35 AM: Sixty one percent of respondents in an online survey by the Louisiana Federation of Teachers said they would support a statewide walkout or strike in order to force lawmakers to approve pay increases. The survey results
- Parents get 3 days' notice Cypress Academy in New Orleans will close this week
- May 22, 6:26 AM: Three days before summer break at Cypress Academy, the small charter school in Mid-City told parents that Wednesday will be its last day — forever.
- New state director named for Louisiana charter schools
- > May 22, 5:32 AM: Alonzo "Lonnie" Luce has been named the state director of Louisiana for Charter Schools USA. In this role, he will oversee academics, school improvement, operations and leadership development for all CSUSA schools in
- In the high-stakes charter system, schools shouldn’t just be measured by tests, researchers say
- > May 16, 4:39 AM: A new report from Tulane University’s Education Research Alliance of New Orleans says students are hurt when schools are measured solely on test scores, in part because it encourages schools to pick the brightest and push
- State approves $51.2 million to build new Kenner charter school
- > May 11, 5:51 AM: The State Bond commission has approved the sale of $51.2 million in bonds to fund the construction of a new school building for Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy. The school is expected to be completed in phases on
- St. Landry charter undeterred by school board rejection
- > May 7, 5:53 AM: An application to begin an elementary charter school in Opelousas next year was denied Thursday night by the St. Landry Parish School Board, a decision that apparently isn’t deterring the school’s officials from moving
- Six BESE incumbents line up for re-election; John White's tenure as superintendent in play
- > Apr 30, 7:13 AM: A majority of the members of Louisiana's top school board plan to seek re-election next year, which means the panel's support for major changes in public schools likely will continue unless multiple incumbents are ousted.
- Einstein students are being bused to school, but families say there are bumps in the road
- Apr 30, 6:17 AM: The battle between Einstein Charter Schools and the Orleans Parish School Board over transportation appeared to be over when yellow buses started running two weeks ago.
- La. charter school continues decades-old arrangement with Ark. school system
- Apr 27, 7:17 AM: Louisiana education officials have allowed millions of taxpayer dollars to continue flowing to an Arkansas school system even after two north Louisiana parishes pulled out of the arrangement.
- In a New Orleans school, improving outcomes one student at a time
- > Apr 26, 6:53 AM: Both the Orleans Parish School Board and the Louisiana Department of Education describe The NET as one of the state’s best alternative schools. Caring for the whole student is key to the model, the principal says.
- Parents turned away from school registration due to large crowds
- Apr 24, 6:06 AM: Parents in Orleans Parish are frustrated after many of them were turned away during an open school enrollment session Monday as crowds were too massive.
- Einstein escapes revocation process after charter hires school buses
- > Apr 24, 6:04 AM: The Orleans Parish School Board is no longer seeking to revoke Einstein Charter Schools' authority to run two New Orleans schools, after the charter network and school board reached a settlement last week resolving a
- Audubon Charter receives 1,200 applications for first year of new Gentilly campus
- > Apr 23, 7:50 AM: Audubon Charter School’s new Gentilly campus received an explosion of interest from parents this spring by way of 1,200 applications for fewer than 200 spaces, and officials are now preparing for a busy summer of
- Rural Livingston schools to use teleconferencing to expand student opportunities
- Apr 23, 7:24 AM: At the most rural schools in Livingston Parish, principals have to make hard choices about what classes they can offer with the limited number of teachers they can attract and afford.
- Board, school officials at odds over French immersion charter startup
- > Apr 20, 6:20 AM: The St. Landry Parish School Board has granted a proposed French immersion charter school in Sunset permission to enroll 30 students for 2018-19, but that number isn’t sufficient to start the program, according to the
- East Baton Rouge School Board extends contract for Inspire Charter Academy
- > Apr 20, 5:52 AM: After a long debate, the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board on Thursday grudgingly extended Inspire Charter Academy’s contract three more years, but suggested it's looking at ways to close the school early if its
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%