- UNO explores possible replication of Hynes Charter on college campus
- > Nov 1, 6:08 AM: Residents eager to enroll their children into the high-performing Edwards Hynes Charter School might see their odds of admission getting better. The University of New Orleans is currently in talks with Hynes about
- Get ready, parents: OneApp opens Wednesday for 2018 school year
- > Oct 31, 5:37 AM: It may only be fall, but it's already time to start thinking about next school year: The 2018 application cycle for New Orleans public schools begins this week. OneApp launches Wednesday (Nov. 1), giving parents until Feb.
- School board members, advocates mull over Einstein Charter's 'egregious' transportation issues
- > Oct 30, 4:58 AM: The Einstein Charter School network received heavy criticism Thursday afternoon (Oct. 26) during an Orleans Parish School Board committee meeting, where education advocates and residents gathered more than a month after
- Einstein Charter Schools Push Back Against Transportation Policy
- > Oct 26, 5:58 AM: Mrs. Jackson's mornings are a race against the clock. Since Einstein Charter Schools don't provide transportation, Jackson drives her child to Einstein Charter School at Village De L'Est herself.
- Report faults state oversight of charter schools
- > Oct 24, 5:58 AM: The Louisiana Department of Education has failed to implement state-required academic guidelines for deciding whether charter school contracts should be renewed, Legislative Auditor Daryl Purpera said Monday.
- Some changes, many questions for Lafayette schools of choice
- > Oct 19, 4:59 AM: The Lafayette Parish School Board on Wednesday approved changes to dozens of specialized academy programs across the district. However, the board pulled some of the more contentious changes for later consideration and left
- School of Choice proposals meet resistance
- Oct 18, 4:42 AM: The Lafayette Parish School Board is considering sweeping changes to dozens of specialized academy programs across the district.
- New Orleans charters felt pressured to promise miraculous progress -- but none met the targets
- > Oct 17, 7:22 AM: In 2008, a few years after Hurricane Katrina, school officials in Louisiana asked aspiring charter-school leader Andrew Shahan to consider taking over the failing Dr. Charles Drew Elementary School in New Orleans' Upper
- Parents raise questions at Lafayette's Schools of Choice meeting
- Oct 16, 4:45 AM: The Lafayette Parish School Board's Schools of Choice committee is evaluating its proposed changes to the program after Saturday's public meeting.
- Debate over busing for New Orleans schools pits school autonomy vs. parent choice
- Oct 16, 4:33 AM: When Einstein Charter Schools was cited last month for failing to provide busing for students in its elementary grades, Nikisha Bartholomew wasn’t surprised.
- Louisiana charter school monitoring needs improvement, audit says
- > Oct 10, 5:16 AM: A state audit released Monday criticizes how Louisiana's education department monitors charter schools, and calls on the agency to tighten its reviews to better track the performance of schools that educate tens of
- Louisiana Supreme Court case puts future of more than 3 dozen charter schools in jeopardy, has families on edge
- Oct 9, 6:16 AM: Christin Kaiser's daughter Mary-Grace is one of the roughly 16,000 students caught in the middle of a lawsuit before the Louisiana Supreme Court over the fate of more than three dozen charter schools.
- East Feliciana Schools superintendent to propose online school in attempt to stem loss of students
- Oct 4, 6:03 AM: East Feliciana Parish's school superintendent told the School Board on Tuesday he will soon propose an online school in an attempt to stem the loss of students to charter schools approved by the state.
- Waiting In The Dark: In NOLA, School Choice Brings Early Mornings, Long Bus Rides
- > Oct 3, 4:39 AM: New Orleans is one of few cities in the country that's all in on charter schools. More than 90 percent of Orleans Parish public school students attend charter schools. Leaders of the city's post-Katrina education overhaul
- Einstein Charter School Board To Fight District Allegations Of Noncompliance
- Sep 27, 5:46 AM: Einstein Charter Schools is planning to take legal action against the Orleans Parish School Board over allegations that it has failed to provide bus service to students.
- Einstein Charter Schools mull legal action amid transportation challenges
- > Sep 26, 5:40 AM: The Einstein Charter Schools network plans to work with Adams and Reese attorney Lee Reid to discuss "legal remedies" against the Orleans Parish School Board after the district deemed the charter group "non-compliant" last
- How Louisiana cut number of tenured teachers in half
- > Sep 25, 6:39 AM: Education reformers saw tenure, which was routinely granted to teachers after three years, as an impediment to removing ineffective teachers from school classrooms. They wanted the job protection tied to how well a
- Einstein Charter Schools Deemed Noncompliant For Providing Inadequate Transportation
- > Sep 22, 6:40 AM: Einstein Charter Schools are in trouble for failing to provide adequate transportation to their students. WWNO has obtained a notice of noncompliance sent from the Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) to Einstein Charter
- Report: Traditional public school teachers absent more than those in charter schools
- Sep 20, 5:50 AM: Louisiana teachers in traditional public schools are nearly three times more likely to be chronically absent than charter school teachers, according to a national study released Tuesday.
- Red River Charter will bus supporters to BESE meeting
- > Sep 13, 6:58 AM: It will be a different kind of “school bus” for a “different kind of school” when Red River Charter Academy supporters travel by bus to attend the state Board of Elementary & Secondary Education meeting on Oct. 17. For the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%