- Thousands of students are skipping class in Baton Rouge; school officials aren’t sure why
- Aug 26, 4:30 PM: On the 10th day of the new school year, 2,000 of the nearly 41,000 students enrolled in Baton Rouge public schools were no-shows.
- Shreveport Parents Want Virtual School Option
- > Aug 18, 1:12 PM: Other Shreveport parents say they want the virtual learning option enrollment opened back up. The deadline to apply for virtual learning in Caddo Parish was May 28th, but many parents say the circumstances with the
- Louisiana education board wants to skip school letter grades
- > Aug 17, 4:18 PM: Louisiana’s top school board agreed Monday to seek federal permission to shelve the issuance of letter grades for K-12 public schools this year because of classroom upheaval sparked by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Louisiana schools chief outlines priorities for pandemic aid
- > Aug 12, 11:14 AM: Superintendent of Education Cade Brumley intends to use the dollars to expand mental and behavioral health support at schools, boost tutoring and literacy programs, enhance summer learning initiatives and add new training
- Parents question lack of virtual learning options as coronavirus cases surge
- > Aug 11, 10:06 AM: This week, tens of thousands of children across Metro New Orleans will return to the classroom to begin the 2021-2022 school year in person. All public school districts in the Metro have removed their remote learning
- Baton Rouge school employees should either vaccinate or get weekly COVID tests, superintendent says
- Aug 6, 1:01 PM: East Baton Rouge Parish Superintendent Sito Narcisse is urging the school board to require the district's 6,000 employees to either prove they are vaccinated or get weekly COVID tests.
- NOLA Public Schools backs off plan to abruptly close Singleton
- > Jul 30, 9:06 AM: NOLA Public Schools district Superintendent Henderson Lewis Jr. will not pursue the revocation of the Dryades YMCA’s contract to operate James M. Singleton Charter School at Thursday night’s Orleans Parish School Board
- Why Louisiana Schools Are Sticking With Plans For In-Person Classes Despite Recent COVID Spike
- > Jul 30, 9:03 AM: With COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations on the rise in Louisiana, some parents have begun to question whether their children will be able to start the school year in-person. But ask any school or health official and the
- 3 new charter schools could serve 7,000+ Baton Rouge kids, but evaluator says they shouldn't open
- > Jun 14, 12:47 PM: An outside evaluator is urging the rejection of the three latest applicants seeking to open new charter schools in Baton Rouge, including two applicants recommended by a prominent charter school booster organization that
- Opinion: Baton Rouge needs more high-quality charter options for great schools
- > Jun 8, 6:43 AM: Great schools are the foundation of strong communities. Over the last nine years, New Schools for Baton Rouge has helped scale two dozen public charter schools that today serve nearly 10,000 students. These schools
- New Orleans schools leader Henderson Lewis Jr. to leave in 2022: 'The time is right'
- Jun 2, 6:37 AM: Henderson Lewis Jr., the New Orleans public school superintendent who is credited with leading schools' return from state to local oversight, will step down from his post in 2022, he said Tuesday.
- Louisiana Legislature approves $37B budget, including teacher pay raises, higher education spending
- > May 28, 7:55 AM: Following an hours-long flurry of back-room deliberations, Louisiana’s Senate on Thursday approved a multi-billion spending plan for next year, adopting a series of budget bills that provide pay raises for public school
- Anti-union campaign pushes back, interim CEO named at Bricolage as union election nears
- > May 27, 7:49 AM: An anti-union campaign reportedly being led by teachers and support staff at Bricolage Academy has been pushing back against an organizing effort as Friday's union election date for the New Orleans charter school nears.
- 13,000 kids will be in summer school in New Orleans -- triple the normal amount
- > May 24, 8:09 AM: NOLA Public Schools, the local district that authorizes 77 charter schools, announced this week more than 13,000 students are expected to attend some form of summer school, meaning nearly a third of the city's public
- Superintendent: NOLA Public Schools will be in-person this fall
- > May 21, 8:22 AM: NOLA Public Schools Superintendent Henderson Lewis Jr. wants to see all students on campus in the fall and won’t require charters to offer distance learning except in extenuating health-related circumstances, he told
- Union vote set for May 28 at New Orleans' popular Bricolage Academy charter school
- May 10, 8:19 AM: Educators with Bricolage Academy, the popular elementary school on Esplanade Avenue, will vote on whether or not to have a union in an election held by the National Labor Relations Board later this month.
- Fewer options likely next school year for Louisiana students learning virtually from home
- > May 3, 5:40 AM: Amid ongoing concerns about the safety of physically returning to classrooms in a pandemic, Louisiana schools vastly expanded remote-learning options this past year — and tens of thousands of students have taken advantage
- Again, Ben Franklin High School rated tops in state, U. S. News says
- > Apr 27, 8:10 AM: Ben Franklin High School is the 64th best high school in the nation, according to a report issued Tuesday by U. S. News & World Report. The school is also the top rated in Louisiana. Lusher Charter School is listed as No.
- Educators at Bricolage Academy in New Orleans file petition with labor board to form union
- > Apr 21, 7:15 AM: Educators at Bricolage Academy, a popular, B-rated school on Esplanade Avenue that serves about 700 students in pre-K through 8th grade, are one step closer to forming a union after filing a petition with the National
- How can New Orleans public schools improve? The district wants you to answer that question
- > Apr 20, 6:23 AM: The process, which is done every few years but is now being created with community input for the first time in recent history, will help schools Superintendent Henderson Lewis Jr. and the Orleans Parish School Board map
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%