- New Orleans parents call on district to directly manage schools
- Nov 16, 5:35 AM: Parents from four New Orleans public schools are putting pressure on the school district out of frustration with what they call the city’s “charter school experiment.
- Sparks fly in District 2 School Board debate; Baton Rouge constable candidates refrain from attacks
- > Nov 14, 7:16 AM: Incumbent Vereta Lee and challenger Dadrius Lanus traded jabs at a forum Tuesday over who’s backing their campaigns and about their respective teaching experience during their first debate since they faced off a week ago
- Louisiana teacher strike is not off the table yet
- > Nov 13, 9:15 AM: Louisiana teachers and other staff may still consider walking out of schools statewide later this academic year or next fall if Gov. John Bel Edwards and the Louisiana Legislature don’t pass a pay raise for educators and
- Orleans Superintendent recommends closing four charter schools
- > Nov 13, 8:45 AM: Orleans Parish schools Superintendent Henderson Lewis Jr. on Monday announced his plan to close four charter schools where he had already halted enrollment. The news comes days after the state Department of Education
- DOE: NELA's lab, BESE-approved charter school scores vary. Some need intervention.
- > Nov 9, 8:42 AM: Northeastern Louisiana is home to five BESE-approved charter schools and two public laboratory schools tied to universities. Scores for those schools, provided Thursday by the Louisiana Department of Education, range from
- New Orleans-area schools see grades drop or stay flat with new, more rigorous scoring system
- > Nov 9, 8:29 AM: Schools in the New Orleans area still have a long way to go before they meet the more demanding national education standards that state officials are in the process of implementing, according to performance scores and
- Did you know? In Baton Rouge School Board races, out-of-state spending playing major role
- Oct 31, 5:07 AM: A charter-school friendly group based in New York City is spending nearly twice as much as all the candidates combined who are seeking a seat on the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board.
- Federal appeals court affirms most of ruling in Delta Charter School discrimination case
- > Oct 29, 6:07 AM: A federal appeals court has affirmed almost all of a district court's remedies to get Delta Charter School to accept more African-American students and stop violating a consent decree with Concordia Parish School
- Facing closure, two F-rated Algiers charter schools move in together at Fischer Academy
- Oct 26, 6:25 AM: Two F-rated Algiers Charter network elementary schools that are facing closure at the end of the school year merged into a single building this week.
- 2 Algiers charter schools will close in 2019 amid failing grades, low enrollment
- > Oct 24, 6:15 AM: Two charter schools located in Algiers are set to close next June after failing to meet the standards required for charter renewal. The Algiers Charter Schools Association announced it will close William J. Fischer
- Our Views: College cost barriers are worse for Louisiana's Black students
- > Oct 16, 5:49 AM: Sending a student off to college is at once the wisest investment a family can make but it is also an expensive one, particularly in Louisiana, where average incomes are low and college tuition has skyrocketed over the
- Stand for Children weighing in once again in East Baton Rouge school board races, but unclear how much
- > Oct 15, 4:40 AM: As the Nov. 6 School Board races approach, the Louisiana affiliate of Stand for Children is backing four candidates in six of the active races. The four were selected by a group of local parents organized by Stand.
- Orleans Parish School Board to vote on geographic zoning changes for public schools
- > Oct 10, 6:16 AM: Facing growing complaints that many students are unable to gain admission to public schools near their homes, the Orleans Parish School Board is set to consider tweaking its geographic preference policy to increase seats
- Lewis Vincent Elementary earns top national honor; 5 other Louisiana schools awarded
- > Oct 2, 5:49 AM: In Orleans Parish, Lusher Charter School CEO Kathy Riedlinger celebrated the school's second win. In 1988, it became one of the first New Orleans schools to be recognized, according to a statement from the school.
- Orleans school district stops enrollment at 4 charter schools: report
- Sep 28, 5:59 AM: The Orleans Parish School Board has cut four charter schools off from OneApp, the district's online centralized enrollment lottery system, according to a report by the Lens.
- Louisiana charter schools must recognize and bargain with teacher unions, court decides
- Sep 27, 6:43 AM: The president of the Louisiana Federation of Teachers is praising a federal court ruling that says Louisiana charter schools have to recognize and bargain with teacher unions.
- Appeals court: Charter school must recognize union
- Sep 26, 7:22 AM: A federal appeals court has ruled that a New Orleans charter school must recognize a union whose members have voted for collective bargaining rights.
- Baton Rouge school board candidates spar over neighborhood, charter schools
- > Sep 26, 6:43 AM: Candidates in two north Baton Rouge school board districts said Tuesday they support neighborhood schools, but differed on whether such schools need to move to growing areas or whether they can be improved where they are
- District halts enrollment at four charter schools that could close this spring
- > Sep 18, 6:28 AM: Edgar P. Harney Spirit of Excellence Academy may soon have to make cuts to stay within its budget for the rest of the school year. The Central City charter school faces a $264,000 deficit, its chief financial officer told
- Avoyelles Parish has two of the state’s top 50 public high schools, according to the online Niche.com.
- > Sep 11, 7:01 AM: Avoyelles Public Charter School ranks No. 14 out of the state’s 353 high schools. LaSAS is 49th.Both schools are charter schools. APCS is an independent public school, chartered by the state. LaSAS is a charter school
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%