- District halts enrollment at four charter schools that could close this spring
- > Sep 18, 6:28 AM: Edgar P. Harney Spirit of Excellence Academy may soon have to make cuts to stay within its budget for the rest of the school year. The Central City charter school faces a $264,000 deficit, its chief financial officer told
- Avoyelles Parish has two of the state’s top 50 public high schools, according to the online Niche.com.
- > Sep 11, 7:01 AM: Avoyelles Public Charter School ranks No. 14 out of the state’s 353 high schools. LaSAS is 49th.Both schools are charter schools. APCS is an independent public school, chartered by the state. LaSAS is a charter school
- Iberville Parish students have pathways to success, college bound or career bound
- Sep 11, 5:46 AM: Whether a student intends to go to college after graduating high school or wants to enter the workforce, the Iberville Parish School Board has a curriculum to fit each student’s needs.
- Newly unified Orleans school district hires director of charter board compliance
- > Sep 5, 6:24 AM: Murray is part of a new team in the Orleans Parish School Board's central office, designed to oversee the academic performance, financial sustainability and operational effectiveness of the city's charters.
- Column: The real story of New Orleans and its charter schools
- Sep 5, 6:20 AM: New Orleans, post-Katrina, is undoubtedly the most cited example of the success of state takeovers, charters and choice.
- These schools are opening their arms to special education students; Can they afford it?
- > Sep 4, 4:45 AM: Although all schools must accept students with disabilities, a few independent charter schools, including Noble Minds, Cypress Academy and Morris Jeff Community School, have placed special emphasis on the inclusion of all
- How Rooted, A New Orleans Charter High School, Is Graduating Kids Who Go Straight To $20/Hour Jobs
- > Aug 28, 7:16 AM: There’s only one rookie school on the way-too-short list of New Orleans public schools that beat the state school performance average in 2018. It's called Rooted, the first from-scratch, open-enrollment high school to open
- Guest column: New Orleans has opportunity to lead the way for students with disabilities
- > Aug 15, 6:09 AM: This country has never seen an educational system like this, one comprised entirely of charter schools. OPSB’s future policy and practice changes have the potential to tackle key issues related to providing quality special
- Audubon Charter School to take over nearby Banneker School building; Lusher to get Allen building
- > Aug 13, 6:36 AM: After years of seeking a permanent home for them, Audubon Charter School has learned its middle school students will move out of their cramped Milan Street building as soon as next summer into the former Banneker School
- Charter school advocates push East Baton Rouge school system to move quickly on policies, position
- > Aug 13, 4:46 AM: Even as the East Baton Rouge Parish school system has moved to quickly spend a $2.2 million school improvement grant, including rolling out new curricula in math and English, it is moving more slowly on parts of the grant
- IDEA Public Schools opening their doors to 1,000 students Wednesday
- Aug 9, 5:50 AM: Over 1,000 students and 100 plus employees are walking through the doors of two IDEA schools in Baton Rouge on Wednesday morning.
- Online public charters impact local schools
- Aug 8, 6:28 AM: Online public charter schools continue to lure students away from the local classrooms, with 72 Avoyelles students enrolled in a “virtual school” for the 2018-19 school year.
- Our Views: Hurricane Katrina made New Orleans' charter schools success possible
- > Aug 6, 6:52 AM: For other jurisdictions, as in the growing number of charter schools in Baton Rouge, we don't know if that is feasible — but the benefits of charters for students can be substantial, and for that reason the new study's
- Kenner Discovery charter school to open new campus in Jefferson Parish starting with grades K-5
- > Aug 2, 6:35 AM: Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy, a popular and highly rated charter school in Jefferson Parish, is expanding. With about 1,500 students already enrolled in kindergarten through 11th grade, the charter's management
- Partners in education
- > Aug 1, 6:57 AM: McNeese State University and the Southwest Louisiana Charter Academy Foundation have formed a partnership in which the university will provide academic guidance and support to Lake Charles College Prep over the next three
- Commentary: What New Orleans Tells Us About the Perils of Putting Schools on the Free Market
- Jul 31, 7:23 AM: In New Orleans, alone among large urban districts, almost all schools are now charter schools. This is the result of perhaps the most ambitious school-reform effort in the country’s history.
- Records: Lafayette school board responds to Schools of Choice lawsuit
- Jul 31, 5:17 AM: Attorneys for the Lafayette Parish School Board have asked a federal judge to dismiss a lawsuit that alleges the Schools of Choice lotteries were rigged.
- Caddo Virtual Academy has something that sets it apart from other online schools
- > Jul 27, 5:43 AM: A school in Caddo Parish is offering students an opportunity to get their education in a non-traditional way. Caddo Virtual Academy is a College Prep online high school for students who don't fit in the traditional high
- Louisiana's Scholarship Program and Tuition Donation Rebate program for private school tuition both grew at a slower pace this year than in previous years, The Advocate reports.
- > Jul 25, 5:33 AM: Parker said the average yearly turnover of voucher students is 16.5 percent. Under the policy, schools where turnover is double that -- 33 percent or higher -- two consecutive years will be prohibited from taking new
- Private school tuition programs are growing at a slower pace: report
- Jul 25, 5:31 AM: Louisiana's Scholarship Program and Tuition Donation Rebate program for private school tuition both grew at a slower pace this year than in previous years, The Advocate reports.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%