- Tensions flare between Louisiana lawmakers during charter school debate
- Mar 23, 5:27 AM: In a session already marred by short tempers, two lawmakers Thursday engaged in a heated racial exchange over a bill that would impose a moratorium on charter schools.
- Einstein Charter Schools May Lose Two Schools Over Busing Dispute
- > Mar 21, 6:36 AM: Two New Orleans charter schools may lose their charters. The Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) says Einstein Charter Schools at Village De L’Est and Sherwood Forest must comply with its demands and start busing students
- Louisiana high school seniors graduating with new career diplomas
- > Mar 20, 6:22 AM: That's the opportunity school officials say about 250 seniors in Rapides Parish have been allowed through a diploma track launched in 2014, which requires students to graduate with at least one valid workforce credential.
- Orleans Parish School Board begins process to revoke Einstein's charter
- Mar 20, 6:12 AM: The Orleans Parish School Board announced Monday (March 19) that charter revocation proceedings will be initiated for two New Orleans East schools that are managed by the Einstein Charter Schools network.
- The charter school choice
- > Mar 20, 4:56 AM: For children struggling in their assigned schools, Southwest Louisiana charter schools — Lake Charles Charter Academy, Southwest Louisiana Charter Academy and Lake Charles College Prep — are additional options to
- ‘Monumental’ victory for charter schools
- > Mar 16, 6:49 AM: Thibodeaux, president of the Lake Charles Charter Academy Foundation, said he hopes the ruling will “send a signal that it is time for the bickering to stop between boards and unions as this suit spent thousands of
- School Board to ask judge what money it can use to fund Baton Rouge charter schools
- > Mar 16, 5:56 AM: An arcane legal question over school funding and tax law provoked a debate Thursday night, over almost as soon as it began, between the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board and several prominent charter school advocates.
- Policy expert: Louisiana Supreme Court charter school ruling good news for thousands of students
- Mar 15, 5:20 AM: If the future of charter schools in Louisiana was in peril in the past year, a state Supreme Court ruling this week has put funding for dozens of charter schools in the state back on solid footing.
- Charter school financing upheld by Louisiana Supreme Court
- Mar 14, 5:33 AM: More than 30 charter schools created by Louisiana's education board can continue to get their financing through the state's public school funding formula.
- Academically rigorous BASIS readies for August classes in its first Louisiana charter school
- > Mar 12, 6:58 AM: BASIS, short for Building Academic Success in School, runs some of Arizona’s highest performing public schools and its high schools routinely top national best-of lists. In the past decade, it has grown from two schools to
- Governor's legislative agenda includes teacher-evaluation changes sure to be hotly debated
- > Mar 9, 7:07 AM: Gov. John Bel Edwards said Thursday he will support bills that would reduce the value of student test results in teacher evaluations and make it easier for teachers to earn a form of job protection called tenure.
- New charter operators will take over these 2 New Orleans schools in July
- > Mar 9, 5:50 AM: Two local nonprofits are taking over schools that failed to maintain the standards required for charter renewal. The Orleans Parish School Board in January selected Firstline Schools to operate ReNEW Cultural Arts Academy,
- Supt. Drake: Recent, future Baton Rouge school improvements show focus on children, not St. George
- > Mar 6, 7:44 AM: But that marketing push was overshadowed by the revival of the St. George incorporation effort and its accompanying goal to eventually break away and form its own independent public school district as Baker, Central and
- High schools in New Orleans try a new way to keep at-risk kids from dropping out
- > Mar 6, 6:38 AM: From its offices not far from downtown, the nonprofit Youth Empowerment Project (YEP) has begun a pilot program for under-credited, over-age students like Hargrove. Instead of dropping out and waiting months or even years
- Charter schools battle OPSB over buses as students struggle to get to class
- > Mar 2, 7:32 AM: Einstein's lack of yellow school bus service has forced many parents to find creative ways to get their children to school. It's also led to a court battle where the charter operator and Orleans Parish School Board are
- Virtual Academy of Lafourche provides online education
- > Feb 15, 7:42 AM: The Virtual Academy of Lafourche is a Type 1 Charter School that services approximately 500 public school students yearly who reside in Lafourche Parish. VAL provides an online curriculum for its students grades K-12.
- Orleans School Board wants to see McDonogh 35 live on under a new 'non-charter' operator
- > Feb 12, 7:31 AM: The Orleans Parish School Board released two proposals Wednesday (Feb. 7) for the McDonogh No. 35 Senior High School. One proposal is for a temporary operator for its remaining students. The other proposal is for a
- Autistic third-grader finds success in virtual school
- > Feb 5, 7:09 AM: After struggling in earlier grades with reading and communicating, Northup said he was finally diagnosed with mild autism. "He also has ADHD and pretty severe anxiety issues," Northup said. At that point she pulled her son
- Are The Top New Orleans Public Schools Weeding Out Certain Kids?
- > Jan 31, 5:50 AM: Historically in New Orleans, white families and middle- and upper-income families have largely attended private schools. Some of the best public schools, like Lusher Charter School, were designed to attract those students
- What Does It Take To Get Into New Orleans' Top Public Schools?
- > Jan 30, 6:48 AM: Families across New Orleans are deciding where to send their kids to school next year. Parents can now use the district’s OneApp — an online application that allows you to apply to many schools at once. The district then
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%