- Small charter groups seek shared bus company in hopes of saving money
- May 22, 5:30 AM: At least seven New Orleans charter schools are teaming up in hopes of finding more affordable bus service next school year.
- MCSB reverses decision on a new charter school, denies application
- > May 21, 7:11 AM: The Monroe City School Board voted in a special meeting Monday night to reverse a decision to establish a new charter school. "We consider this a tremendous victory," said Tamara Ross, President of the Monroe City
- New Orleans high school graduation rates jump as state tops goal of 80 percent
- > May 16, 5:41 AM: New Orleans high school graduation rates shot higher last year, offering an encouraging signal to local education leaders and helping the state meet a long-held goal of exceeding an 80% graduation rate statewide.
- KIPP and CSAL charter schools approved for Baton Rouge, despite potentially high cost
- May 14, 7:37 AM: After years of working exclusively in New Orleans, KIPP, the prominent charter school network, was approved Monday to expand upriver to start three schools in Baton Rouge.
- James Gill: Why Louisiana's school voucher experiment was a big Bobby Jindal flop
- > May 13, 5:49 AM: It is certainly true that for some Louisiana kids a voucher was a ticket from the public frying pan to the private fire; kids have transferred from an underachieving public school to a private school with even lower
- Basis charter school's rapid growth among affluent families in Baton Rouge prompts scrutiny
- > May 13, 5:32 AM: The new school will allow the Arizona-based charter school organization to meet some of its already high demand and shrink its huge waiting list, which is nearing 600 kids. The new school is set to open in August 2020 at a
- Letters: Breaux Bridge charter school doing good work
- > May 10, 6:52 AM: Poor and minority children are caught in a system that may be failing large numbers of them, and when an opportunity arises where poor and minority children really beat the odds, then we set out to discredit that school.
- Louisiana officials ask little before letting private schools get millions in public vouchers
- > May 10, 5:15 AM: Its owners basically had to fill a 16-page document with straightforward questions, many satisfied with yes/no answers. By contrast, when Arise Academy in New Orleans recently applied to become a charter school, it had to
- Column: Voucher program fails Louisiana students and taxpayers
- > May 9, 6:16 AM: Despite the claims made by former Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal when he was pushing through a statewide voucher program, schools that parents love won’t necessarily be those that best educate their children. Even schools
- CEO of New Beginnings charter network resigns amid falsifying records, grade-fixing allegations
- > May 8, 5:24 AM: Michelle Blouin-Williams, the embattled CEO of the charter organization New Beginnings Schools Foundation, has resigned amid allegations of falsifying public records and allowing one of the three schools she oversees to
- Louisiana promised children a way out of bad public schools. Then steered thousands to D and F grade private campuses.
Seven years later, however, the $40-million-a-year Louisiana Scholarship Program has failed to live up to its billing. The nearly 6,900 students who’ve left public schools have instead been placed into a system with >
May 8, 5:18 AM:
- Letters: Charters don't help public schools
- > May 6, 6:31 AM: As a recent transplant to Baton Rouge from Los Angeles with a second-grader at Dufrocq Elementary, it's interesting to see the very beginning of the charter school resistance due to their ramifications that Los Angeles has
- Guest column: Look deeper into school voucher outcomes
- > Apr 29, 5:03 AM: The fourth-year results of the experimental evaluation of the Louisiana Scholarship Program (LSP) just came out — and the effects on math test scores are negative once again. So what went wrong in Louisiana? Regulations
- School board considering three charter school applications
- Apr 26, 7:39 AM: The St. Landry Parish school district is considering applications of three proposed charter schools that are requesting to open in the Opelousas and Sunset areas beginning in 2020.
- New Orleans teen gets 115 college acceptance letters
- > Apr 25, 8:13 AM: Love, a senior at the International High School of New Orleans, applied to and was unanimously accepted at 115 schools across the country, according to her school. Her efforts also resulted in more than $3.7 million in
- Orleans Parish schools see record number of OneApp applications; little change in match rates for students
- > Apr 25, 6:01 AM: A record number of families applied this year to OneApp, the lottery enrollment process used for most New Orleans public schools, with just over two-thirds of students getting placed in one of their top three school
- More New Orleans high school grads entering college, but racial disparities persist, report says
- > Apr 19, 6:26 AM: The number of New Orleans high school graduates who go on to college has increased significantly in the past decade, rising from 37 percent in 2004 to 61 percent in 2017. However, black students are still far less likely
- College classes in every public high school in Louisiana? 'It is worth the effort'
- Apr 15, 7:47 AM: Gov. John Bel Edwards is pushing for a sweeping change in public high schools by allowing every junior and senior to take two college courses, free of charge and starting next year.
- Alleged power grab by board head fueled state investigation of charter school in Baton Rouge
- > Apr 15, 6:55 AM: The fast ascendance last summer of Stefanie Ashford, head of a local community development organization, from board member to the leader of a small Baton Rouge charter school helped spark a state investigation that may
- Apex Collegiate Academy to close next month, Baton Rouge charter school official tell parents
- Apr 11, 5:23 AM: In yet another shakeup for the Baton Rouge charter school world, Apex Collegiate Academy broke the news to its parents Wednesday that it will close its doors on May 31 when its school year ends.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%