- Letters: School reform began before Bobby Jindal
- > Aug 21, 5:31 AM: Then Jindal, his captive BESE and legislators began a series of budget freezes and budget cuts which strangled already poorly funded public schools, all in the name of “parental choice” which led to vouchers and charter
- New 'Charter School Policy' uses higher standards for approving, renewing Baton Rouge schools than state
- > Aug 16, 7:35 AM: In a move long in the making, the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board on Thursday adopted standards for approving and renewing charter schools, standards higher than those used by the state, though not as high as first
- Now the first all-charter district in U.S., New Orleans schools experiment still faces questions
- > Aug 13, 5:26 AM: Two decades ago, a group of frustrated New Orleans educators proposed a radical idea: start an open-enrollment charter school that would educate kids better by freeing the school from the bureaucracy of a poorly performing
- New high school promises to enrolls students in college as new school year opens in Baton Rouge
- > Aug 9, 7:33 AM: And while many high schools offer college-level classes, GEO Next Generation’s model is to send its students to a college campus, in this case, Baton Rouge Community College. Vans will shuttle students back and forth each
- Analysis: NELA public schools are hemorrhaging students
- Aug 9, 7:20 AM: A graphic showing student gains and losses for all school districts in northeastern Louisiana is available at the bottom of this story.
- Learning Outside the Classroom
- > Aug 7, 7:07 AM: "I believe it was probably November of last year we decided we wanted to pull him out of regular school and do something different because we wanted something that would fit him better,” Ben’s mom, Mandy Vaussine, says.
- A mother’s year-long fight for a gifted test reveals charters don’t have to offer services
- > Aug 6, 6:22 AM: About an hour before last week’s meeting with educational diagnostician Juliana Smith, Cruz pondered the importance of Eva’s test results and whether they’d effectively be null and void. That’s because two weeks earlier,
- East Baton Rouge School Board committee wants more work on charter schools policy
- Aug 2, 7:42 AM: The East Baton Rouge Parish's proposed policy for charter schools will get some tweaking over the next two weeks before it goes to the School Board for a vote on Aug. 15.
- Certified teachers at some Lake Area charter schools to receive $5,000 raise
- Aug 2, 7:40 AM: The beginning of the school year is just around the corner; and this year, both Lake Charles Charter Academy and the Southwest Louisiana Charter Academy are offering a hefty raise for certified teachers.
- Charter schools may need at least a C letter grade to renew East Baton Rouge contracts
- > Aug 1, 7:16 AM: The East Baton Rouge Parish School Board is considering requiring that its 10 charter schools maintain at least a C letter grade if they want renewal of their operating contracts, higher than the minimum D grade the state
- More 4th-graders in Louisiana are reading on grade level, but it's still a low percentage
- > Jul 25, 5:14 AM: More fourth-graders are proficient in reading — meaning they can read on grade level. The state percentage of proficient fourth-grade readers increased from 18% in 2009 to 26% in 2017. That's lower than the national
- A dip in LEAP: New Orleans area schools see lower or stagnant scores as tougher standards continue
- > Jul 16, 5:23 AM: As public schools in the New Orleans area continue to grapple with tougher standards under statewide education reform efforts, their students' scores on high-stakes standardized tests dipped or remained flat in the 2018-19
- Baton Rouge area dominates state's school district rankings; Zachary stays atop LEAP results
- > Jul 12, 6:22 AM: School districts from the capitol region dominated the state rankings, but Zachary remained on top again on LEAP standardized tests, collectively showing high mastery in English, math and social studies, according to
- New Orleans becomes first major American city without traditional schools
- > Jul 2, 5:55 AM: The Orleans Parish school district has teetered on the edge of an all-charter district for years. Each year the number of the district’s direct-run schools has dwindled as some have closed and others have converted or been
- Letters: We must move forward for our city’s children, not back
- > Jun 25, 5:03 AM: I applaud the Orleans Parish School Board (OPSB) for its Charter School Accountability Framework, which sets clear standards and describes how schools will be held accountable if they are not in compliance with
- New Program Helps La. Adults Finish College Degree
- > Jun 20, 6:36 AM: There's an estimated 653,000 Louisiana adults who have attended college or university and HAVE accumulated some college credit. But for one reason or another they never completed a degree. That's one in five adults in
- Edwards vows to push for changes to Louisiana voucher program after news investigation reveals flaws
- > Jun 19, 5:32 AM: Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards said he will call for an overhaul of the state’s scholarship voucher program, saying the structure that uses public money to pay for private school tuition for nearly 6,900 underprivileged
- Companies are using virtual reality methods to train their employees, and two Lafayette companies are out front of that trend
- Jun 17, 5:51 AM: Virtual reality workforce training is the latest trend for numerous industries, and Lafayette is the home of two businesses and an educational institute that is on the forefront.
- Letter: Charter school expansion in Louisiana has increased segregation
- Jun 12, 6:51 AM: The League of Women Voters of Louisiana recently published a two-year study on the governance, finance, and accessibility and equity of Louisiana’s charter schools.
- Lafayette school board rejects performing arts charter school application
- Jun 6, 6:56 AM: An application to open a performing arts charter school in Lafayette was unanimously rejected by the Lafayette Parish School Board Wednesday after a recommendation to deny the school’s opening.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%