- Survey shows Louisiana teachers support a strike for pay raises
- > May 22, 6:35 AM: Sixty one percent of respondents in an online survey by the Louisiana Federation of Teachers said they would support a statewide walkout or strike in order to force lawmakers to approve pay increases. The survey results
- Parents get 3 days' notice Cypress Academy in New Orleans will close this week
- May 22, 6:26 AM: Three days before summer break at Cypress Academy, the small charter school in Mid-City told parents that Wednesday will be its last day — forever.
- New state director named for Louisiana charter schools
- > May 22, 5:32 AM: Alonzo "Lonnie" Luce has been named the state director of Louisiana for Charter Schools USA. In this role, he will oversee academics, school improvement, operations and leadership development for all CSUSA schools in
- In the high-stakes charter system, schools shouldn’t just be measured by tests, researchers say
- > May 16, 4:39 AM: A new report from Tulane University’s Education Research Alliance of New Orleans says students are hurt when schools are measured solely on test scores, in part because it encourages schools to pick the brightest and push
- State approves $51.2 million to build new Kenner charter school
- > May 11, 5:51 AM: The State Bond commission has approved the sale of $51.2 million in bonds to fund the construction of a new school building for Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy. The school is expected to be completed in phases on
- St. Landry charter undeterred by school board rejection
- > May 7, 5:53 AM: An application to begin an elementary charter school in Opelousas next year was denied Thursday night by the St. Landry Parish School Board, a decision that apparently isn’t deterring the school’s officials from moving
- Six BESE incumbents line up for re-election; John White's tenure as superintendent in play
- > Apr 30, 7:13 AM: A majority of the members of Louisiana's top school board plan to seek re-election next year, which means the panel's support for major changes in public schools likely will continue unless multiple incumbents are ousted.
- Einstein students are being bused to school, but families say there are bumps in the road
- Apr 30, 6:17 AM: The battle between Einstein Charter Schools and the Orleans Parish School Board over transportation appeared to be over when yellow buses started running two weeks ago.
- La. charter school continues decades-old arrangement with Ark. school system
- Apr 27, 7:17 AM: Louisiana education officials have allowed millions of taxpayer dollars to continue flowing to an Arkansas school system even after two north Louisiana parishes pulled out of the arrangement.
- In a New Orleans school, improving outcomes one student at a time
- > Apr 26, 6:53 AM: Both the Orleans Parish School Board and the Louisiana Department of Education describe The NET as one of the state’s best alternative schools. Caring for the whole student is key to the model, the principal says.
- Parents turned away from school registration due to large crowds
- Apr 24, 6:06 AM: Parents in Orleans Parish are frustrated after many of them were turned away during an open school enrollment session Monday as crowds were too massive.
- Einstein escapes revocation process after charter hires school buses
- > Apr 24, 6:04 AM: The Orleans Parish School Board is no longer seeking to revoke Einstein Charter Schools' authority to run two New Orleans schools, after the charter network and school board reached a settlement last week resolving a
- Audubon Charter receives 1,200 applications for first year of new Gentilly campus
- > Apr 23, 7:50 AM: Audubon Charter School’s new Gentilly campus received an explosion of interest from parents this spring by way of 1,200 applications for fewer than 200 spaces, and officials are now preparing for a busy summer of
- Rural Livingston schools to use teleconferencing to expand student opportunities
- Apr 23, 7:24 AM: At the most rural schools in Livingston Parish, principals have to make hard choices about what classes they can offer with the limited number of teachers they can attract and afford.
- Board, school officials at odds over French immersion charter startup
- > Apr 20, 6:20 AM: The St. Landry Parish School Board has granted a proposed French immersion charter school in Sunset permission to enroll 30 students for 2018-19, but that number isn’t sufficient to start the program, according to the
- East Baton Rouge School Board extends contract for Inspire Charter Academy
- > Apr 20, 5:52 AM: After a long debate, the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board on Thursday grudgingly extended Inspire Charter Academy’s contract three more years, but suggested it's looking at ways to close the school early if its
- Orleans Parish school district will run McDonogh 35 next year after rejecting applications from outside groups
- > Apr 18, 6:59 AM: The Orleans Parish school district’s plan to hire outside groups to run McDonogh 35 Senior High School is on hold after it rejected the applicants and started looking for an administrator to oversee the school instead.
- Vision Academy gets probationary charter extension
- Apr 18, 5:36 AM: The Board of Elementary and Secondary Education has approved Vision Academy in Monroe for another year of operation, assuming it gets a satisfactory audit.
- Federal suit alleges LPSS staff rigged Schools of Choice lotteries
- Apr 18, 5:06 AM: A federal lawsuit accuses Lafayette Parish School System administrators of manipulating the Schools of Choice lottery and denying some students access to English language services.
- A third of New Orleans students don't get into one of their top 3 schools of choice
- > Apr 17, 5:23 AM: About a third of all students who applied to public schools in New Orleans couldn’t get one of their top choices for the coming school year, officials said Monday. It is the lowest match rate since officials launched a
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%