- Demand far exceeds supply at many of New Orleans' top-rated public schools, application data show
- > Mar 21, 5:20 AM: When Melissa McGrane was looking at kindergarten options for her daughter next fall, she was leaning heavily toward private schools. Then she fell in love with Hynes Charter School in Lakeview, one of the city's few
- Ochsner and Discovery Academy team to open new charter school in East Jefferson
- > Mar 18, 6:37 AM: Ochsner is getting into the charter school business. Louisiana’s largest non-profit academic health care system is joining forces with the operator of Kenner Discovery Health Sciences Academy to start kindergarten through
- Orleans School Board approves partnership between Hynes Charter School, UNO for seats at new campus
- > Feb 22, 7:56 AM: Amid mixed reactions, the Orleans Parish School Board voted unanimously on Thursday to approve a charter agreement that will pave the way for a partnership between Hynes Charter School and the University of New Orleans.
- Hynes Charter wants to reserve seats for children of UNO staff at new Gentilly campus
- Feb 21, 7:35 AM: Edward Hynes Charter School wants to give the children of University of New Orleans employees enrollment priority at its new Gentilly campus.
- Louisiana community colleges too costly, state's higher education chief says
- Feb 19, 8:18 AM: Louisiana students are paying more than the regional and national averages to attend community colleges and the issue needs to be addressed, Higher Education Commissioner Kim Hunter Reed said Monday.
- ‘Grit and perseverance': Against all odds, 27 ReNEW students graduate from alternative school
- > Feb 11, 6:31 AM: Alternative sites serve students who either enroll there by choice after falling behind, or after being expelled from their home schools. Students in these programs could also be awaiting trial or are convicted of a crime.
- Some Baton Rouge high schoolers will head to class on a college campus through new charter school
- > Feb 11, 6:25 AM: Doing college-level work while still in high school is nothing new in Baton Rouge, but high schoolers routinely taking courses on a college campus remains rare. A new high school in Baton Rouge called GEO Next Generation
- Deployed dad surprises his daughter during visit to Audubon Charter School
- Jan 29, 8:15 AM: A New Orleans father returned from his deployment overseas and made a surprise appearance at his daughter’s school on Monday (Jan. 28).
- Charter high school to join GEO Prep campus this fall
- > Jan 25, 7:19 AM: The soon-to-come GEO Next Generation High School offers an “early college model” to students by allowing them to take free college courses on college campuses for college credits, while simultaneously earning a high school
- Changes in store for state-run Recovery School District schools in Baton Rouge
- > Jan 23, 7:18 AM: The state-run Recovery School District in Baton Rouge is undergoing a round of changes, as contracts with two charter school management groups are discontinued, two are renewed and a school is added to another group's
- South Baton Rouge charter school renewed for three more years despite poor evaluation
- Jan 18, 7:48 AM: A charter school in south Baton Rouge with a D letter grade earned a reprieve Thursday after the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board grudgingly renewed its charter for at least three more years.
- League of Women Voters says charter schools need changes, sparking pushback
- Jan 15, 7:49 AM: A report by the usually noncontroversial League of Women Voters of Louisiana that says charter schools need more oversight is sparking arguments.
- To help parents pay private school tuition, Louisiana sets up tax-advantaged savings plan
- > Jan 4, 7:09 AM: A common gripe among some private school parents in Louisiana is that they must pay taxes for public education even though their children are not enrolled in public schools. On top of taxes, they lay out thousands of
- New program enables Louisiana families to save for K-12 tuition
- > Jan 3, 7:06 AM: The State of Louisiana is offering a special education savings plan to help parents fund their child’s education. START K12 gives families the ability to save for tuition expenses at any Louisiana school that provides
- Charter school groups pay for 6 EBR School Board members visit Indianapolis 'portfolio' district
- > Dec 28, 6:48 AM: Four current and two newly elected members of the East Baton Rouge Parish School Board visited Indianapolis last week on a two-day trip showcasing that city’s mix of charter schools and autonomous district-run schools.
- After McDonogh 35 vote, New Orleans will be 1st in US without traditionally run public schools
- > Dec 21, 7:14 AM: Following a hotly contested 5-2 vote on one school's future by the Orleans Parish School Board on Thursday night, New Orleans is slated to become the first U.S. city with virtually all of its public schools run by charter
- BESE sidelines Hammond charter school; 8 others win new life
- Dec 12, 7:25 AM: Despite impassioned pleas from parents, Louisiana's top school board voted Tuesday to close an F-rated charter school in Hammond.
- Inequity in New Orleans public schools persists, report says
- > Dec 11, 8:10 AM: New Orleans-based non-profit The Data Center released its latest in a series of tricentennial reports on November 30 documenting issues of inequity in the city. Called “New Orleans Public Schools: An Unrealized Democratic
- Orleans Parish School Board partners with foundation to find ways to increase equity in schools
- > Dec 5, 7:05 AM: The foundation, in partnership with other nonprofit and consulting organizations, has commissioned a study that will help the OPSB better understand what student needs are and what support systems are already available
- 3 ways New Orleans public schools can change the status quo
- > Dec 4, 7:09 AM: New Orleans is home to one of the first public school systems in the South, but the city has historically educated certain segments of the city rather than the public at large, an extensive new report by The Data Center
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- New Orleans CityBusiness 83%
- KATC-TV - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- KNOE-TV - Online 0%
- Bossier Press-Tribune - Online 8%