- Charter school bill clears House (CER in the news)
- Mar 6, 8:15 AM: A vote to approve charter schools legislation in Kentucky’s House of Representatives broke on party lines Friday, but was ultimately passed in the House by a 56-39 margin.
- Kentucky House OKs Charter School Bill
- Mar 6, 6:38 AM: A charter school bill backed by Gov. Matt Bevin cleared one half of the legislature Friday, but not without sparking an animated floor debate in the House.
- Charter schools bill expected to move Friday
- Mar 3, 6:42 AM: The charter schools bill that seemed stalled days ago is now positioned to move through the House quickly on Friday.
- Parents, educators rally against charter schools
- > Feb 28, 7:13 AM: The main concerns of attendees and speakers focused on the funding of charter schools and uncertainty over how it would affect public schools. Under HB 520, which was proposed by Rep. John Carney, R-Campbellsville, local
- Charter school bill draws mixed reactions
- Feb 27, 6:06 AM: Kentucky school districts would be required to consider charter schools within their districts as early as the 2017-18 school year if a recently introduced charter school bill was enacted.
- House passes bill allowing parents to choose school closest to home in Jefferson County
- > Feb 24, 5:51 AM: The Republican-led Kentucky House of Representatives passed legislation Thursday that will overrule the Jefferson County Schools student assignment plans, despite cries from opponents the bill takes away local control and
- Charter schools "very, very likely" in Kentucky (CER in the news)
- > Feb 22, 8:02 AM: Kentucky is currently one of only seven states that does not allow charter schools. Neighboring Ohio enacted its charter school law in 1997, according to the Washington, D.C- based Center for Education Reform. Indiana
- Bevin lends his support to latest charter school bill
- Feb 22, 6:08 AM: Gov. Matt Bevin on Tuesday voiced his support for a bill that would allow public charter schools to open in Kentucky in the 2018-19 school year.
- Whoa, Ky. going wrong way on charters (CER in the news)
- > Feb 21, 7:55 AM: The political winds in November were seen as a good sign for charter schools. While charter schools are embraced by people of every political persuasion, citizens were hopeful that a united government in Kentucky might
- House education chair files charter school bill
- > Feb 20, 6:55 AM: Kentucky House Education chairman John "Bam" Carney introduced a new charter school bill to the House on Friday that would allow local school districts to begin authorizing charter schools as early as the 2017-2018 school
- Opinions differ on charter schools in Kentucky
- > Feb 17, 6:33 AM: Senate Bill 70, introduced by Sen. Gerald Neal, D-Louisville, would allow a pilot charter school program only in Jefferson County with oversight by the local school board. Language in the bill suggests that Fayette County
- Bill could limit school choice in Kentucky
- Feb 17, 5:47 AM: The bill, sponsored by Louisville Republican Kevin Bratcher, will ensure students can enroll in the school they live closest to.
- Kentucky’s push for charter schools gains momentum
- Feb 8, 8:29 AM: Charter schools are likely coming to Kentucky this year and that has some parents divided.
- Charter Schools: Who decides what students get to attend
- Feb 7, 6:33 AM: That was Glasgow School Board member Dr. Barrett Lessenberry who made it very clear where he stood in regard to charter schools. He said it’s like “putting segregation back in education."
- Kentucky Charter Debate Pits 'Urban vs. Rural'an vs. Rural’
- > Feb 1, 7:56 AM: Republican leaders are confident that some form of charter school legislation will pass this session. But now, the debate has shifted to whether to permit the schools to crop up across the state or just in Lexington and
- In Louisville, A Passionate Battle Over Charter Schools
- Jan 31, 7:42 AM: When Kentucky lawmakers return to Frankfort next week, they’ll likely take up charter school legislation.
- GOP House leader 'confident' on charter school legislation
- Jan 31, 6:04 AM: Kentucky House Speaker Jeff Hoover said he expects the state legislature to pass a charter school bill this year, although it’s unclear what form it will take.
- School choice supporters converge on Capitol
- > Jan 30, 6:37 AM: Despite the chilling temperatures and light snowfall, about 200 people showed up Friday to support School Choice Week at the Capitol, advocating for expanding school choices in Kentucky to include public, private,
- Pro-public school advocate: Charters schools segregate school system
- > Jan 30, 5:50 AM: School choice is one of many hot button issues around the country and even here in the state. Two bills have been proposed by Kentucky lawmakers – one that could create charter schools and another that would establish
- Charter school commonwealth? How Innovation Academy could be impacted by coming education bills
- > Jan 26, 7:19 AM: Educational reforms are on the horizon in the commonwealth, including at least two bills filed in the 2017 General Assembly that refer specifically to charter schools -- one of which could directly impact the Owensboro
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grayson County News-Gazette - Online 83%
- Richmond Register - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- State Journal - Online, The 0%
- Kentucky New Era 17%