- Democrats urge caution on Kentucky charter schools
- > Mar 15, 6:31 AM: As Republican leaders tinker with a charter schools bill, several Kentucky Democrats and a couple of Jefferson County school board members united against the proposal Tuesday and urged the state Senate put the issue on ice
- Charter schools bill has 80% shot of passing, lawmaker says
- > Mar 14, 6:32 AM: With just two days left for passing bills in this year's legislative session, the chairman of the Senate Education Committee said late Monday he believes some version of a charter schools bill will pass.
- Group decries charter schools in Kentucky while state senators consider their fate
- Mar 14, 6:19 AM: A grassroots organization for public education, Save Our Schools Kentucky, made a last-ditch effort Monday to urge state lawmakers to say no to charter schools.
- Group of local educators speak out against charter schools
- Mar 13, 6:31 AM: As the 2017 General Assembly enters its home stretch, a number of bills remain in play. Not the least of which is House Bill 520, allowing for the authorization of charter schools in Kentucky.
- Lawmakers hope to reach accord on charter schools
- > Mar 10, 6:11 AM: Key lawmakers say they are optimistic that the General Assembly will approve a charter schools bill even as they continue to negotiate the details of the bill as time is running short for the 2017 legislative session.
- People protest charter schools at education rally in Henderson
- Mar 10, 6:00 AM: The crowd gathered at Henderson County's courthouse steps Thursday afternoon had a message for Kentucky legislators: charter schools don't work.
- JCPS board: Mayor Greg Fischer 'blindsided' us with charter schools stance
- Mar 8, 7:38 AM: Jefferson County school board members said they are dismayed Mayor Greg Fischer didn’t talk to them before he publicly voiced support for bringing charter schools to the state.
- Charter school bill’s fate uncertain in Kentucky Senate
- > Mar 8, 6:34 AM: State Sen. Mike Wilson, chairman of the Senate Education Committee, told the Herald-Leader Tuesday that a bill to allow charter schools in Kentucky was not on the agenda for his committee’s Thursday meeting.
- Mayors who would approve charter schools want more review of bill
- Mar 7, 6:12 AM: Is Lexington Mayor Jim Gray willing to approve and oversee charter schools along with Fayette County Public Schools board members?
- Charter school bill clears House (CER in the news)
- Mar 6, 8:15 AM: A vote to approve charter schools legislation in Kentucky’s House of Representatives broke on party lines Friday, but was ultimately passed in the House by a 56-39 margin.
- Kentucky House OKs Charter School Bill
- Mar 6, 6:38 AM: A charter school bill backed by Gov. Matt Bevin cleared one half of the legislature Friday, but not without sparking an animated floor debate in the House.
- Charter schools bill expected to move Friday
- Mar 3, 6:42 AM: The charter schools bill that seemed stalled days ago is now positioned to move through the House quickly on Friday.
- Parents, educators rally against charter schools
- > Feb 28, 7:13 AM: The main concerns of attendees and speakers focused on the funding of charter schools and uncertainty over how it would affect public schools. Under HB 520, which was proposed by Rep. John Carney, R-Campbellsville, local
- Charter school bill draws mixed reactions
- Feb 27, 6:06 AM: Kentucky school districts would be required to consider charter schools within their districts as early as the 2017-18 school year if a recently introduced charter school bill was enacted.
- House passes bill allowing parents to choose school closest to home in Jefferson County
- > Feb 24, 5:51 AM: The Republican-led Kentucky House of Representatives passed legislation Thursday that will overrule the Jefferson County Schools student assignment plans, despite cries from opponents the bill takes away local control and
- Charter schools "very, very likely" in Kentucky (CER in the news)
- > Feb 22, 8:02 AM: Kentucky is currently one of only seven states that does not allow charter schools. Neighboring Ohio enacted its charter school law in 1997, according to the Washington, D.C- based Center for Education Reform. Indiana
- Bevin lends his support to latest charter school bill
- Feb 22, 6:08 AM: Gov. Matt Bevin on Tuesday voiced his support for a bill that would allow public charter schools to open in Kentucky in the 2018-19 school year.
- Whoa, Ky. going wrong way on charters (CER in the news)
- > Feb 21, 7:55 AM: The political winds in November were seen as a good sign for charter schools. While charter schools are embraced by people of every political persuasion, citizens were hopeful that a united government in Kentucky might
- House education chair files charter school bill
- > Feb 20, 6:55 AM: Kentucky House Education chairman John "Bam" Carney introduced a new charter school bill to the House on Friday that would allow local school districts to begin authorizing charter schools as early as the 2017-2018 school
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grayson County News-Gazette - Online 83%
- Richmond Register - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- State Journal - Online, The 0%
- Kentucky New Era 17%