- Opinion: In its appeal, JCPS should attack the law that allows a state takeover
- > Jun 29, 5:54 AM: The board should argue that regardless of the state of affairs at JCPS, the matter is between the district’s people and the elected board members. The people can vote them out at the next election and Gov. Matt Bevin
- Ky. education chief says 'abuse and neglect' are reason for proposed JCPS takeover
- > Jun 29, 5:52 AM: Kentucky’s Interim Education Commissioner told legislators during a committee meeting Thursday that he is pushing for state control of JCPS because of the “neglect and abuse” of students in the district.
- Black JCPS students tend to get novice teachers, analysis confirms
- > Jun 25, 6:12 AM: A Courier Journal analysis of state and district data from the 2016-17 school year confirms that majority black schools in JCPS face high rates of teacher turnover, leaving students in many of the district's most troubled
- Op-Ed: Public charter schools just one tool for improving education in Kentucky
- > Jun 22, 7:08 AM: From reading the newspaper, Kentucky parents might conclude that public charter schools are central to everything the Kentucky Department of Education has done over the last two months, and that charter schools are central
- JCPS receives no charter school applications, but law leaves door open
- > Jun 22, 5:50 AM: The debate over whether charter schools should open in Jefferson County is on pause — at least momentarily. The deadline for individuals or organizations to submit an application to start a charter school in Jefferson
- Opinion: The truth about scholarship tax credits: They aren't school vouchers
- Jun 18, 4:46 AM: In his recent piece on changes to the Kentucky education landscape, Joe Gerth ended with an appeal to tell the truth. However, when it comes to scholarship tax credits, he should take his own advice.
- JCPS racial achievement gap widening (but less so than in rest of Kentucky)
- > Jun 1, 6:18 AM: Black JCPS students in the last few years have fallen further behind their white peers on state academic tests — but only at some grade levels — while for students across the state the racial achievement gap has widened at
- Jazz to charter schools: How Wayne Lewis became a player in JCPS' fate
- Jun 1, 6:14 AM: Nine years later, the 38-year-old has become Kentucky's top public school official, embroiled in controversy after his April 30 recommendation that the state take over Jefferson County Public Schools.
- JCPS appeal of state takeover: How does the process work?
- > May 30, 6:02 AM: The school board announced at a meeting Tuesday night that it will appeal the recommendation made a month ago by interim Education Commissioner Wayne Lewis. Up next, the district will make its argument before the state's
- JCPS critics use charter schools to sell West End parents on takeover
- May 29, 4:27 AM: In a scene reminiscent of two weeks before, Louisville faith leaders summoned residents to a local church to hear about the proposed takeover of Jefferson County Public Schools.
- Tax rates, charters and more: The powers JCPS could lose in a takeover
- May 24, 6:06 AM: The Jefferson County school board can hire superintendents, sign off on new charter schools and manage district funds.
- JCPS takeover 'payback' for teacher protests, national union head says
- > May 18, 6:08 AM: The country's largest teachers union is throwing its weight behind the fight to stop a state takeover of Jefferson County Public Schools.National Education Association President Lily Eskelsen García said Tuesday that the
- Ky. school board member: Teachers 'murdered' underserved kids by opposing charter funding
- > May 17, 6:23 AM: Teachers who opposed charter school funding during the 2018 legislative session “murdered” underserved students in Louisville and Lexington, a member of the Kentucky Board of Education wrote in an email to interim
- Barren County Schools announces 2 new apprenticeship programs
- > May 11, 6:23 AM: In a news conference Wednesday at the T.J. Health Pavilion, local and state officials announced creation of the school district’s new culinary arts and transportation maintenance apprenticeship programs.
- Silence on state takeover fight gives JCPS more time to keep control
- May 10, 5:16 AM: Jefferson County Public Schools is remaining publicly mum on whether it will argue against a state takeover — a move that enables the district to extend its grip on local control for more time.
- Louisville's council president wants the state to back off a JCPS takeover
- May 8, 5:49 AM: Metro Council President David James is bringing the debate over a possible state takeover of Jefferson County Public Schools to City Hall with a measure that tells the state to back off the idea.
- THE LAB Louisville schools move means charters coming
- May 7, 7:11 AM: The Jefferson County Public Schools serve more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Louisville. The system is the nation's tenth largest. And it is undeniably a mess.
- Head of charter schools stepping down at Kentucky Department of Education
- > May 4, 5:39 AM: Simms, who earned a $90,000 salary in his role as director of charter schools, previously worked as St. Louis director at the University of Missouri’s Office of Charter School Operations and as senior director of the
- Lawyer: JCPS can say state education board is biased in takeover fight
- May 3, 5:30 AM: Jefferson County Public Schools could fight a state takeover in court by arguing that the state board of education cannot issue a fair decision because its new members are biased, a lawyer says.
- Pollio says he will meet with JCPS board members, lawyers to consider takeover appeal
- > May 1, 5:41 AM: Superintendent Marty Pollio said he will meet with board members and lawyers to decide whether Jefferson County Public Schools will appeal the Kentucky education chief's recommendation that the state take over the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grayson County News-Gazette - Online 83%
- Richmond Register - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- State Journal - Online, The 0%
- Kentucky New Era 17%