- Gov. Matt Bevin’s advisory council on charter schools gets into the nitty gritty
- Jul 25, 6:03 AM: Calling it a "historic day," Kentucky's education commissioner on Monday hailed the first meeting of an advisory council that was created to provide recommendations on how charter schools operate in the Bluegrass State.
- Downtown rally focuses on value of public education, concerns about equity
- Jul 24, 7:00 AM: Adrian Wallace, of the NAACP of Lexington, told the crowd that charter schools, approved by the legislature earlier this year, lack transparency and accountability.
- Kentucky’s school rating system is criticized as not strong enough
- > Jul 19, 6:41 AM: The latest draft of Kentucky’s proposed statewide system of evaluating schools — the new accountability system — is not strong enough. That’s the message that business, civil rights, community and education advocacy groups have sent
- School vouchers are not a cure-all, says study with UK ties
- > Jul 10, 7:36 AM: New research from University of Kentucky Assistant Professor Joseph Waddington shows that school voucher programs — and more broadly, school choice — aren’t a cure-all in the race to improve education outcomes, UK officials said in
- Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer Still Waiting For Clarity On Charter School Regulations
- Jul 5, 7:15 AM: Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer is still waiting for regulations from state officials regarding the authorization of charter schools.
- Charter School Concerns Voiced by KEA President
- Jul 5, 5:35 AM: An organization representing public school employees in Kentucky is worried about the impact charter schools will have on the commonwealth.
- Charter schools, Bible literacy among new laws in Kentucky
- Jun 29, 7:14 AM: New laws are taking effect in Kentucky that allow charter schools, regulate Bible literacy classes in public schools and limit the supply of prescription painkillers.
- JCPS magnet schools are inconsistent. A committee has ideas to fix that
- > Jun 23, 5:34 AM: Jefferson County Public Schools' magnet offerings as a whole are inconsistent, unevenly funded and confusing to parents, according to a report by a steering committee tasked with looking into part of the district's choice
- Thompson named to newly formed charter school board
- > Jun 9, 6:01 AM: The former interim president of Kentucky State University and executive vice president of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education told The State Journal he will bring a postsecondary perspective to the group, which is tasked
- Kentucky schools would get one to five stars in proposed rating system
- > Jun 9, 5:56 AM: Frankfort Kentucky schools, including charter schools, would be rated from one to five stars, with five being the highest, under a proposed new accountability system discussed Wednesday at the Kentucky Board of Education
- Gov. Matt Bevin establishes charter school advisory council, restructures education boards
- > Jun 5, 5:41 AM: Gov. Matt Bevin announced Friday that he has signed an executive order that would not only restructure education boards but also would implement an advisory board to oversee the development of Kentucky's charter school
- Charter schools inspire local school to reinvent curriculum
- May 23, 6:17 AM: The Kentucky Legislature approved charter schools in the state. It could be years before we see one open in our area, but they're already impacting the way schools teach your children.
- Public School Group in Kentucky Taking Notes as Charter Schools
- > May 9, 6:25 AM: The Kentucky School Boards Association says its members will be watching with interest as charter schools open their doors as early as this fall. A bill signed into law by Governor Bevin this year will allow charter schools in the
- Digging into Kentucky’s charter school law: 20 things you need to know
- May 8, 6:13 AM: With Kentucky’s new charter school law scheduled to go into effect in June, education officials are fielding questions about what will happen as charter schools make their way into the state for the first time.
- JCPS board nixes School of Innovation at Maupin
- > Apr 26, 6:01 AM: Despite emotional pleas from some parents and community members to keep the program, the Jefferson County Board of Education on Tuesday unanimously voted to remove a School of Innovation magnet from the struggling Maupin Elementary
- Bevin gives local schools more control with the sweep of a pen
- > Apr 11, 5:19 AM: Among the major ones was Senate Bill 1, an omnibus education bill designed to place more control and accountability in the hands of local school districts, enabling them to have a stronger voice in how to improve performance by both
- Could Kentucky’s charter school law be unconstitutional?
- Apr 6, 6:01 AM: Charter schools are finally allowed in Kentucky, but legal experts and advocates say it's only a matter of time before the law permitting them is debated in court.
- Fayette school board member questions Kentucky’s charter school law
- Mar 29, 6:32 AM: Fayette County school board member Doug Barnett, an attorney, says school district officials should consider challenging the constitutionality of the law that will allow charter schools in Kentucky for the first time.
- Governor Signs Kentucky Charter Schools Into Law
- Mar 23, 5:32 AM: Gov. Matt Bevin has signed the charter schools bill into law, allowing the alternative institutions to open up this fall after an application process.
- Online petition asks that Bevin apologize to charter school opponents
- > Mar 22, 6:14 AM: More than 700 people as of 9 a.m. Tuesday had signed an online petition asking Gov. Matt Bevin to apologize for accusing charter school opponents of lying and questioning their motives during his testimony earlier this month before
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grayson County News-Gazette - Online 83%
- Richmond Register - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- State Journal - Online, The 0%
- Kentucky New Era 17%