- Will lawmakers disband the KY Board of Education during coronavirus school shutdown?
- Apr 6, 6:22 AM: Gov. Andy Beshear on Thursday asked that lawmakers not disband his Kentucky Board of Education trying to lead during the unprecedented coronavirus school shutdown.
- Opinion: Educational options for families: The road to real reform
- Mar 24, 5:35 AM: To remedy these issues, school reforms are needed which allow parents options, alternatives and choices beyond the assigned public school while enabling teachers to go outside the bureaucratic box.
- Kentucky Senate threatens to withhold teacher pension funding unless changes made
- > Mar 20, 7:30 AM: Of particular concern are provisions to hold back $1.1 billion in extra funding from the Teacher Retirement System until "structural reform" is made and the elimination of tens of millions of dollars in health care funding
- JCPS board clears way for distance learning ahead of potentially longer school closures
- Mar 20, 6:44 AM: Potentially facing longer school closures to curb the coronavirus, Jefferson County Public Schools cleared the way to use distance learning to continue lessons.
- House committee advances legislation altering school accountability rules
- Mar 19, 5:57 AM: As state testing in Kentucky faces a murky future, lawmakers advanced a bill altering how the state would grade and identify struggling schools based off the results.
- Controversial school choice bill may be stuck in Kentucky legislature
- > Mar 10, 7:17 AM: A controversial school choice measure may be withering in the Kentucky legislature. Legislation creating tax credits to bolster donations to private school scholarships may be blocked from a vote — by Republican lawmakers,
- What is an achievement gap? Kentucky's definition would shift under school accountability bill
- > Mar 5, 8:25 AM: The proposed legislation would redefine the term to compare how student groups are performing to goals set for them — dubbed a "gap to goal" approach. For example, black students' test scores would no longer be compared
- Trump administration is pushing Kentucky lawmakers to pass school choice program
- Mar 2, 10:10 AM: The Trump administration is encouraging Kentucky lawmakers to pass a controversial school choice bill — and is potentially dangling tens of millions of dollars in federal funding to sweeten the deal.
- Group claims JCPS board member is threatening to delay graduation over school choice bill
- > Mar 2, 6:42 AM: A pro-school choice group is calling for an apology from a Jefferson County Public Schools board member who correctly suggested that teacher protests over school choice legislation could once again shutter Louisville
- Kentucky’s First Charter School Applicant Loses Appeal
- > Feb 28, 8:12 AM: The state’s first charter school applicant, River Cities Academy, lost its appeal to the Kentucky Board of Education. The board decided Tuesday not to overturn a decision by Newport Independent Schools to deny the group a
- Charter school twice denied. Ky. education board denies appeal from first-ever applicant. Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/education/article240612396.html#storylink=cpy
- Feb 26, 6:37 AM: The Kentucky Board of Education on Tuesday unanimously denied an appeal from the proposed River Cities Academy, the first group that wants to open a charter school in the state.
- Opinion: Breaking education barriers: GED fees waived in Kentucky
- > Feb 6, 8:35 AM: Education may be the key to a brighter future, but for many Kentuckians, access to quality education is difficult. A recent study performed by WalletHub found Kentucky to be among the least educated states, ranking near
- Ky. Permits School Boards To Opt Out Of Charter School Training
- Feb 5, 8:06 AM: The Kentucky Board of Education will permit local school boards to opt out of mandatory charter school training.
- Opinion: Tax credits give low-income kids better options
- > Feb 3, 6:48 AM: The fact that Kentucky ranks near the bottom nationally in education achievement among low-income students should be of grave concern to our educators and to all citizens whose hard-earned taxes support our schools.
- Bill advances to let KY school boards skip charter school training
- Jan 29, 7:04 AM: A bill received initial approval Tuesday that would allow local school boards to delay charter school training until they received an application from a group wanting to open a charter school.
- Opinion: Don’t be fooled. Tax credits for private school are about dismantling public education.
- > Jan 28, 6:32 AM: Public education is still the linchpin to prosperity for most of Kentucky’s population, but many legislators seem determined to starve it. Sending a few hundred kids to private school won’t make this state great.
- 'Trapped in failing school system': Families push for scholarship tax credits in Kentucky
- > Jan 28, 6:16 AM: As part of National School Choice Week, dozens gathered in the Capitol Rotunda, donning the movement's signature mustard yellow scarves and talking about how private schools have helped children and how more kids should
- Scholarship tax credit bill filed for a third try with Kentucky lawmakers
- Jan 27, 8:09 AM: Days ahead of School Choice Week, proposed legislation bringing scholarship tax credits to Kentucky appeared Friday afternoon.
- New Kentucky Board of Education wants to delay charter training requirements
- > Jan 20, 8:03 AM: The newly reorganized Kentucky Board of Education passed its revised legislative agenda Friday, adding support for a measure that would only require charter school authorizer training for school boards when potential
- Six JCPS principals at low-performing schools should be replaced, state recommends
- > Jan 17, 6:37 AM: The Kentucky Department of Education has determined that six principals at low-performing schools in Jefferson County don’t have the capacity to lead turnaround efforts, Jefferson County Public Schools announced late
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grayson County News-Gazette - Online 83%
- Richmond Register - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- State Journal - Online, The 0%
- Kentucky New Era 17%