- Guest columnist: Bevin undermining public education to boost charter schools
- > Oct 18, 5:58 AM: Gov. Matt Bevin is determined to undermine public education in Kentucky. His quest is to establish charter schools in our state, which can make charter school bosses rich but rob public schools of their funding.
- Andy Beshear rolls out public education plan, calling it his 'highest priority'
- > Oct 3, 5:27 AM: Saying there is "no bigger contrast" in his race against Gov. Matt Bevin than their views on public education, Attorney General Andy Beshear and running mate Jacqueline Coleman on Wednesday released what they called a
- Op-Ed: Step-by-step, let’s review Matt Bevin’s plan to undermine public education in Kentucky
- > Oct 3, 5:01 AM: Governor Bevin is determined to undermine public education in Kentucky. His quest is to establish charter schools in our state, which can make charter school bosses rich but rob public schools of their funding.
- Jeanne Allen: Response to 'Kentucky receives C- grade on state's education system from Education Week'
- > Oct 2, 7:51 AM: When it comes to Kentucky’s public education system, a “C-” grade is generous. Ed Week’s annual ranking does not address whether states allow the kind of educational opportunity and innovations that really drive outcomes.
- Opinion: So your kid’s school got a low rating in new system? Don’t freak out. Do this instead.
- > Oct 2, 5:29 AM: Statewide test scores are out Tuesday morning, and in their umpteenth iteration, Kentucky’s scores still show that too many children — most of them poor or students of color — aren’t mastering basic elements of reading and
- Many JCPS schools fare poorly in new star rating system
- Oct 1, 7:18 AM: Under a new five-star rating system, Jefferson County Public Schools was given two stars, and many JCPS schools did not fare much better.
- Opinion: Scholarship tax credits are private school vouchers and tax shelters for the wealthy
- Sep 25, 6:19 AM: It’s time we call scholarship tax credits what they really are. They are tax loopholes created for corporations and wealthy individuals, cloaked as charity for poor children.
- Officials to Launch Higher Education Initiative in Kentucky
- Sep 23, 7:05 AM: Kentucky officials are preparing to launch a program that aims to increase the number of students seeking higher education after high school.
- Kentucky law ran afoul of federal rules, putting education funding in jeopardy
- > Sep 18, 6:07 AM: During the legislative session this year, state lawmakers passed a bill changing how schools are identified for additional state support. Education Commissioner Wayne Lewis warned the legislation may not comply with
- Kentucky schools receive bad grade
- > Sep 12, 6:53 AM: Kentucky came in at 36th place, with a score of 72.4 for 2019. The same study from 2018 placed it at 35th in the nation, with a score of 72.5. But Kentucky and the nation have seen a consistent grade in the C range, going
- Editorial: Charter schools fight moves to regulatory arena
- Sep 10, 5:47 AM: Officials of the West Virginia Department of Education and at least two county school superintendents met in Parkersburg last week to discuss rules to regulate charter schools in West Virginia.
- Column: Scholarship tax credits open doors
- > Sep 10, 4:31 AM: The Scholarship Tax Credit is the right solution at the right time. A recent poll of Kentucky voters found that more than 70% believe the state’s education system needs significant change, while 65% of voters support
- Opinion: Scholarship tax credits would create opportunity for Kentucky students who need help
- Sep 3, 5:27 AM: It’s time we gave Kentucky families a choice in education. Not because they can afford it, but because they deserve it. The scholarship tax credit is the right solution at the right time.
- Opinion: The answers for Kentucky schools aren’t in Finland or Singapore. ‘You just have to go to Beaumont.’
- > Aug 23, 5:29 AM: Vasquez isn’t afraid of talking about provocative subjects; in the past seven years, his blog, Cloaking Inequity has taken on numerous controversial topics, such as why pro-charter school research frequently comes from
- Opinion: Charter school column was incomplete, misleading. Why Kentucky needs charters.
- > Aug 5, 7:40 AM: The Herald-Leader recently ran an obvious hit piece titled “Charter school management full of schemers and scams. Kentucky should avoid them." The reality is that the vast majority of charter schools are not full of
- Opinion: Parents want school choice. Here's how JCPS is working to improve student assignment
- > Aug 5, 5:38 AM: This is the busiest time of the year for the Jefferson County Public Schools Office of School Choice, which includes student assignment, magnets and demographics. We are answering phone calls, processing applications and
- Is a proposed JCPS assignment plan the key to equity or a step back?
- Jul 31, 5:25 AM: Amid a national discussion on busing for desegregation, Jefferson County Public Schools may have found a model that balances diversity with equitable school choice.
- Editorial: Time to recruit and retain teachers in Kentucky
- Jul 30, 7:16 AM: Kentucky will be heading back to the classroom over the next two weeks to a critical teacher shortage, state education officials warn.
- JCPS Board Will Consider Plan To Give West Louisville Students A Local School Option
- Jul 24, 8:11 AM: A JCPS committee has voted to move forward a proposal that would give students who live in the West End and downtown Louisville the choice to attend a nearby middle school or high school.
- Opinion: Charter school management full of schemers and scams. Kentucky should avoid them.
- > Jul 15, 5:19 AM: Entrepreneurship is fine in its place, I just don’t think public tax dollars should be its funding base, especially not when they’re supposed to be used to educate our children. Charter school results from around the
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Grayson County News-Gazette - Online 83%
- Richmond Register - Online 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- State Journal - Online, The 0%
- Kentucky New Era 17%