- Kansas GOP candidates alone in advocating for tax dollars to support private-school vouchers
- > Jun 18, 5:19 AM: Six candidates for Kansas governor or their surrogates clashed Wednesday during a convention of Missionary Baptist Church members on whether the state of Kansas ought to expand use of tax dollars to subsidize education of
- Opinion: Kobach wrong on education
- > May 23, 4:36 AM: There are other problems with school vouchers besides public money to private schools. Special-needs students don’t have as many options. There’s little school choice in many parts of rural Kansas. Private schools won’t
- Proof that online high school can work: My daughter
- > May 16, 6:29 AM: Perhaps inevitably, controversy has followed the growth. Some educators worry that online schools are inherently inferior to traditional classrooms with their flesh-and-blood teachers and peer-group teamwork. I agree that
- Partnership designed to help high school grads land aviation jobs
- > May 8, 5:31 AM: A new plan could have high-school students in Wichita walking off the graduation stage and into a job in the aviation industry. The plan is a part of a partnership with Wichita Public Schools, Wichita State University
- Kansas Supreme Court alters deadline for school finance filing so Kansas Legislature can fix $80M flaw
- > Apr 26, 5:25 AM: The Kansas Supreme Court issued an order Wednesday altering deadlines for submitting legal briefs in an education finance case due to an error in the five-year, $525 million funding bill narrowly passed by the Legislature
- Editorial: Passing a school finance bill doesn’t complete Kansas legislators’ work
- > Apr 10, 5:38 AM: Kansas lawmakers took a significant step in the long-running school finance crisis over the weekend. The state Senate, kicking and screaming, finally agreed to a measure adding more than $500 million to school spending
- Kansas City's First All-Girls Charter High School Picks A Leader
- > Apr 9, 6:57 AM: Kansas City’s first single-gender charter school has found its founding principal. Tara Haskins will lead Kansas City Girls Preparatory Academy, which will serve predominantly young women of color in the city’s poorest
- Reading residents voice overwhelming support for charter school at special meeting
- Mar 29, 6:28 AM: Judging from the responses Wednesday, a proposal to turn Reading Elementary into a charter school may have struck a nerve across USD 251 North Lyon County.
- House sends teacher tenure, anti-bullying bills to Senate
- Mar 9, 7:16 AM: The Kansas House gave final passage Thursday to two education bills, including one that restores teacher tenure rights, also known as due process rights, which lawmakers repealed several years ago.
- DCHS touts pathways programs
- > Mar 6, 6:35 AM: Vocational education at the high school level, or vo-tech, as it’s commonly known, used to consist of basic construction trades and perhaps some automotive repair, and the classes were sometimes viewed as a place for kids
- Koch family to open new kind of private school at Wichita State University
- > Feb 5, 6:54 AM: Modeled after schools such as Acton Academy in Austin, Texas, and NuVu (pronounced “new view”) on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Wonder will incorporate facets of the “Maker movement” and other
- Teacher tenure battle rises to Kansas Supreme Court once again
- Jan 29, 8:01 AM: Sen. Tom Arpke laid the foundation of an ongoing legal battle by championing a bill to end long-standing employment due process rights available to thousands of public school teachers.
- Court Asks If Kansas Lawmakers Had Power To Kill Teacher Tenure
- Jan 25, 8:05 AM: Tenure, as Kansas public school teachers had known it for decades, died at the hands of lawmakers without a hearing in the spring of 2014.
- School board candidates agree on need for more openness, differ on charter schools
- > Oct 23, 6:53 AM: In answering a question at a Sunday school board candidate forum about how to build community consensus, James Alan Hollinger said widespread support would be achieved through transparency on the part of the board and
- Kansas schools may no longer group students by grade level as part of plan to remake education system
- > Oct 19, 7:07 AM: Kansas public school officials are launching a project to overhaul the way education is delivered in the state through a project that they say is so ambitious, they are likening it to the NASA moon missions of the 1960s.
- “It’s never too late”: Virtual school helps people get diploma
- > Sep 19, 5:32 AM: Royer is enrolled in the Topeka Public Schools Virtual School. It’s a web-based program geared towards people over 19 that didn’t earn their high school diploma in four years. It allows people to complete any unfinished
- Learning outside the education box
- > Sep 11, 6:01 AM: The flexibility Kansas Connections Academy offers was one reason the school appealed to Cameron and his mom, Amanda Hayes. Cameron can log in and work on his assignments at his own pace. He is even able to work ahead as he
- New partnership expands city bus options for Wichita students
- > Aug 8, 5:33 AM: Thanks to a new partnership between Wichita Transit and the school district, students can buy discounted city bus passes for traveling to school and elsewhere. In addition, students at seven Wichita schools who don’t
- Kansas Private Tuition Tax Credit Program Sees Early Growth
- Aug 7, 6:31 AM: Kansas’ private tuition tax credit program doubled in size in the 2016-2017 school year and appears likely to expand again after lawmakers voted to enhance it this session.
- Teachers union, State square off for second Kansas Supreme Court showdown over tenure
- > Jul 26, 7:21 AM: A fresh legal challenge to the state’s 2014 elimination of teacher job protections has reached the Kansas Supreme Court, close on the heels of a separate lawsuit that proved unsuccessful six months ago.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Fort Leavenworth Lamp - Online 75%
- HDNews.net 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- McPherson Sentinel - Online 0%
- Associated Press (AP) - Topeka Bureau 17%