- SL's emotional appeal keeps charter school alive
- > Apr 2, 5:12 AM: Relief is the emotion of choice for the Storm Lake School District, after the Iowa Department of Education Board granted renewal of the local charter school for four additional years. After a delegation of Storm Lakers
- ‘Meaningful connections’
- > Mar 29, 5:42 AM: District Superintendent Dr. Theron Schutte, also an MBEA co-chair, called for local businesses and industries to consider opportunities they may have for Marshalltown students in areas like internships,
- Chances for Iowa school vouchers ‘smaller,’ supporter says
- Mar 28, 5:28 AM: Citing a lack of support, Rep. Walt Rogers pulled the plug more than a month ago on his plan to provide taxpayer-funded accounts for parents who enroll their children in private schools.
- Opinion: Give parents the power to choose a school that fits their child's needs
- > Mar 27, 4:33 AM: Every parent should have the right to give their child the type of education they deserve, and that opportunity is upon us in the form of The Iowa Student Opportunity Act. Please join me in encouraging our legislators to
- Letter: Iowa school voucher proposal another blow to public schools
- > Mar 26, 7:10 AM: I object to this as fundamentally unfair to the majority of school-age children in Iowa. I think that — to any fair-minded person — the allocation called for by SSB3206 is totally against the best interests of public
- Education Savings Account Bill Discriminatory Towards Students, Some Parents Claim
- Mar 26, 5:55 AM: Senate Study Bill 3206 would allow families to receive vouchers for their children who wish to enroll in a private school. The vouchers would be made up of taxpayer dollars.
- Iowa Senate advances bill for state grants to private school students
- > Mar 23, 4:34 AM: Legislation to provide state grants of about $4,000 annually to students enrolling in private schools moved forward Thursday in the Iowa Senate, despite criticism it would hurt public education and result in taxpayer
- Iowa Senate Republicans propose state grants for private school students
- Mar 21, 5:13 AM: Students enrolling in private schools could be eligible for education savings accounts using state grants of about $4,000 annually under a bill introduced Tuesday in the Iowa Senate.
- Online learning bill for Iowa's home-school students heads to Reynolds
- Mar 6, 7:22 AM: A bill allowing home-schooled students to take online courses without enrolling in a public school or an accredited private school is headed to Gov. Kim Reynolds' desk for her signature.
- House Ed passes charter school bill after agenda discrepancy
- > Feb 23, 6:50 AM: But legal questions may follow the vote. The official agenda for Thursday’s meeting indicated House Education would vote on just one bill — House Bill 556. That’s not the bill the committee considered or voted on. Instead
- Online learning for home-school pupils gets Iowa Senate OK
- Feb 21, 7:34 AM: Home-schooled students could take online courses without enrolling in a public school or an accredited private school under a bill approved Tuesday by the Iowa Senate.
- Republican-led 'school choice' bill won't advance this year in Iowa House
- Feb 16, 5:51 AM: House Education Committee Chairman Rep. Walt Rogers said a controversial plan to enact an education savings account program and expand charter school access will not advance this year.
- 'Extraordinary' or 'irresponsible'? Public weighs in as school choice bill advances
- Feb 14, 5:47 AM: House Republicans advanced a plan to expand school choice options in the state following a hearing Tuesday in which members of the public took turns heaping praise on the idea and excoriating it.
- School voucher bill introduced in Iowa House
- > Feb 12, 6:43 AM: A bill that would allow parents to get an educational savings grant, what some would call a voucher, worth up to $5,000 for each of their children enrolled in a private school has been introduced in the Iowa House.
- School voucher bill introduced in Iowa House
- > Feb 9, 7:02 AM: A bill that would allow parents to get an educational savings grant, what some would call a voucher, worth up to $5,000 for each of their children enrolled in a private school has been introduced in the Iowa House.
- Republican plan to expand school choice includes education savings accounts, charter school access
- > Feb 9, 6:05 AM: A Republican plan to expand school choice options would give Iowa families about $5,000 worth of state aid each year to help cover tuition and other education-related expenses at accredited non-public schools.
- New bill opening transfers could re-segregate Iowa schools, opponents say
- Jan 29, 6:24 AM: Iowa lawmakers may strike income restrictions that prevent some students from transferring districts, but public school advocates warn the change could lead to the re-segregation of Iowa schools.
- Iowa governor: Redirecting state money to private schools 'not unreasonable'
- Jan 26, 6:35 AM: Gov. Kim Reynolds said Thursday that efforts to expand school choice by allowing parents to redirect state money to private, parochial or home-school expenses is "not unreasonable.
- Iowa public school advocates fight for funding amid cries for 'choice'
- Jan 15, 6:37 AM: A grassroots group made up of Iowa public school parents and activists is fighting what organizers say is an onslaught from lawmakers intent on eroding the state's public education system.
- Dubuque school board votes against renewing elementary school charter status
- Jan 9, 6:12 AM: Superintendent Stan Rheingans recommended the board approve the charter renewal, and Prescott Principal Vicki Sullivan was also in favor, but ultimately the board went a different direction.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- PR Newswire 83%
- Daily Iowan - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Hawk Eye - Online, The 0%
- Emmetsburg Reporter Democrat 17%