- Education Savings Account Bill Discriminatory Towards Students, Some Parents Claim
- Mar 26, 5:55 AM: Senate Study Bill 3206 would allow families to receive vouchers for their children who wish to enroll in a private school. The vouchers would be made up of taxpayer dollars.
- Iowa Senate advances bill for state grants to private school students
- > Mar 23, 4:34 AM: Legislation to provide state grants of about $4,000 annually to students enrolling in private schools moved forward Thursday in the Iowa Senate, despite criticism it would hurt public education and result in taxpayer
- Iowa Senate Republicans propose state grants for private school students
- Mar 21, 5:13 AM: Students enrolling in private schools could be eligible for education savings accounts using state grants of about $4,000 annually under a bill introduced Tuesday in the Iowa Senate.
- Online learning bill for Iowa's home-school students heads to Reynolds
- Mar 6, 7:22 AM: A bill allowing home-schooled students to take online courses without enrolling in a public school or an accredited private school is headed to Gov. Kim Reynolds' desk for her signature.
- House Ed passes charter school bill after agenda discrepancy
- > Feb 23, 6:50 AM: But legal questions may follow the vote. The official agenda for Thursday’s meeting indicated House Education would vote on just one bill — House Bill 556. That’s not the bill the committee considered or voted on. Instead
- Online learning for home-school pupils gets Iowa Senate OK
- Feb 21, 7:34 AM: Home-schooled students could take online courses without enrolling in a public school or an accredited private school under a bill approved Tuesday by the Iowa Senate.
- Republican-led 'school choice' bill won't advance this year in Iowa House
- Feb 16, 5:51 AM: House Education Committee Chairman Rep. Walt Rogers said a controversial plan to enact an education savings account program and expand charter school access will not advance this year.
- 'Extraordinary' or 'irresponsible'? Public weighs in as school choice bill advances
- Feb 14, 5:47 AM: House Republicans advanced a plan to expand school choice options in the state following a hearing Tuesday in which members of the public took turns heaping praise on the idea and excoriating it.
- School voucher bill introduced in Iowa House
- > Feb 12, 6:43 AM: A bill that would allow parents to get an educational savings grant, what some would call a voucher, worth up to $5,000 for each of their children enrolled in a private school has been introduced in the Iowa House.
- School voucher bill introduced in Iowa House
- > Feb 9, 7:02 AM: A bill that would allow parents to get an educational savings grant, what some would call a voucher, worth up to $5,000 for each of their children enrolled in a private school has been introduced in the Iowa House.
- Republican plan to expand school choice includes education savings accounts, charter school access
- > Feb 9, 6:05 AM: A Republican plan to expand school choice options would give Iowa families about $5,000 worth of state aid each year to help cover tuition and other education-related expenses at accredited non-public schools.
- New bill opening transfers could re-segregate Iowa schools, opponents say
- Jan 29, 6:24 AM: Iowa lawmakers may strike income restrictions that prevent some students from transferring districts, but public school advocates warn the change could lead to the re-segregation of Iowa schools.
- Iowa governor: Redirecting state money to private schools 'not unreasonable'
- Jan 26, 6:35 AM: Gov. Kim Reynolds said Thursday that efforts to expand school choice by allowing parents to redirect state money to private, parochial or home-school expenses is "not unreasonable.
- Iowa public school advocates fight for funding amid cries for 'choice'
- Jan 15, 6:37 AM: A grassroots group made up of Iowa public school parents and activists is fighting what organizers say is an onslaught from lawmakers intent on eroding the state's public education system.
- Dubuque school board votes against renewing elementary school charter status
- Jan 9, 6:12 AM: Superintendent Stan Rheingans recommended the board approve the charter renewal, and Prescott Principal Vicki Sullivan was also in favor, but ultimately the board went a different direction.
- School voucher supporters plan another legislative push this year
- > Jan 5, 7:05 AM: Supporters of diverting some public education dollars to help students in private, parochial or home schools are vowing to make another push in the state legislature this year. But Iowa lawmakers warn an expected tight
- Iowa home-school students could get better access to online classes
- Jan 5, 6:24 AM: A change in Iowa law would allow home-schooled students to take online courses without enrolling in a public or private school.
- Prescott Elementary School's charter status up for renewal
- > Jan 4, 6:46 AM: The school received the state's lowest ranking in the recent education report card and like other schools with that ranking, the majority of its students come from low income households. But students and their parents are
- Three 'school choice' efforts Iowa advocates will push in 2018
- Jan 3, 6:44 AM: Chants of "school choice now" could again ring out through the halls at the Iowa Capitol when the Legislature convenes in January.
- SL schools make case to extend charter school
- Jan 2, 5:51 AM: The Storm Lake School District is preparing to make its case before state officials to renew the charter school program for another four years.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- PR Newswire 83%
- Daily Iowan - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Hawk Eye - Online, The 0%
- Emmetsburg Reporter Democrat 17%