- School choice conversation likely coming when legislative session begins
- Jan 6, 7:51 AM: When Iowa's statehouse Republicans take control of the legislative agenda starting next Monday, educational issues like school choice will most likely be on the table.
- School choice proposals likely in Iowa
- Jan 5, 9:20 AM: How the state funds Iowa’s K-through-12 public schools could be altered dramatically this year when Republicans assume control of the legislative agenda.
- School choice proposals likely in Iowa
- Jan 4, 5:40 AM: How the state delivers funding to Iowa’s public K-through-12 schools could be altered dramatically this year when Republicans assume control of the state’s law-making agenda.
- Advocates pitch school vouchers, income tax reform
- > Dec 22, 6:20 AM: Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds heard pitches Wednesday for school choice vouchers, income tax reform and a full two-year state budget plan during a hearing where the public could make suggestions on how
- Iowa educators expect school choice, limits on union powers
- Nov 14, 6:10 AM: Now with full control of state government, Iowa Republicans might promote school choice options, limit teacher union power and dampen the funding debate over public schools, education policy experts say.
- House Panel Approves School Vouchers; Democrats Object
- > Apr 6, 5:07 AM: A bill to allow vouchers for some Iowa private school students advanced at the capitol this week. The bill faces an uncertain future, but it created a firestorm of protest from advocates for the state’s public schools.
- Forums planned on assistance for struggling Iowa schools
- Mar 25, 7:36 AM: A change in federal law regarding how to assist struggling schools has prompted the state education department to plan four public forums over the next couple of weeks on the issue.
- Magnet school survey yields mixed results
- Jan 22, 6:10 AM: Survey results the Iowa City Community School District released Thursday suggest parents have mixed opinions about opening a magnet school in the district.
- IC Parents Weigh in on Magnet School
- > Dec 3, 7:10 AM: The Iowa City Community School District wants your opinion. The district is considering the addition of a magnet school. They say the discussion started in fall 2014. Now they want to know how much interest there is in
- Branstad advocates for school choice
- > Sep 17, 4:37 AM: Gov. Terry Branstad touted himself as a champion for school choice Wednesday and pledged to try to boost funding next year for a tax credit supporting scholarships for low-income students attending private schools if state
- School district to seek magnet school feedback
- Sep 10, 5:55 AM: Iowa City Community School District officials say they will ask district residents whether they support creating a magnet school.
- Iowa Online Academy Helping Students Thrive
- May 20, 5:53 AM: The academy is not only growing in popularity but helping more and more students succeed outside the traditional brick and mortar classroom.
- Iowa reform pushes students to read earlier - or else
- Apr 21, 5:37 AM: This year's kindergarten and first-graders are garnering special focus because of a key part of Iowa's education reform law: third-grade retention.
- Home schooling deregulates, surges in popularity
Iowa joins a growing number of states that, since the mid-'90s, have loosened home-school regulation or failed to pass laws requiring more oversight. Home-schooling supporters say it's an acknowledgment of parental >
Apr 9, 8:25 AM:
- Low Marks (CER in the news)
- Mar 19, 9:15 AM: A group championing charter schools as a part of education reform puts Iowa in the bottom 10 states on its annual school scorecard.
- Education Advocates Celebrate School Choice
- Mar 4, 6:35 AM: Teachers, parents and students filled the State Capitol Tuesday to rally for school choice in Iowa.
- School officials cautious about new education data website
- Feb 4, 8:01 AM: A new website from the Iowa Department of Education gives the public a snapshot of how every public school district and building in the state are performing according to certain performance measures.
- Choosing the education they want
- Jan 30, 6:36 AM: To many at Marshalltown Christian School, School Choice Week represents more than a national campaign to inform parents of their options as they decide where their children should receive a K-12 education.
- Online Schooling Offers Kids, Parents Options
- > Jan 27, 6:16 AM: This week is National School Choice Week, which highlights all kinds of schooling options for kids. Monday the Iowa Connections Academy along with several other schools held a rally at the Iowa Historical Museum for
- Quad-City schools, residents embrace growing movement
- > Jan 26, 6:55 AM: Within Davenport Community Schools, there are many options for parents, said district spokeswoman Dawn Saul. “We feel that the Davenport Community School District has shown a strong commitment to offering our families
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- PR Newswire 83%
- Daily Iowan - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Hawk Eye - Online, The 0%
- Emmetsburg Reporter Democrat 17%