- Should Iowa schools be measured by how well students do in college?
- Aug 4, 7:39 AM: State education leaders are creating a new accountability plan under the federal Every Student Succeeds Act, and are debating a formula that identifies the lowest-performing schools for additional support.
- Data suggest link between class size changes and shrinking achievement gap
- Jul 26, 6:41 AM: Initial data suggest a new policy that aims to concentrate teachers where Iowa City schools need them most might be helping students improve at reading.
- Voucher proposal unpopular with county schools
- > Jun 14, 6:10 AM: President Donald Trump’s proposed budget places an emphasis on a parent’s ability to choose where their child attends school. To do this, the proposal boosts federal spending on vouchers and charter schools and cuts
- Iowa City musician says going online high school route helped her get to Juilliard
- > Jun 1, 5:10 AM: Nina knew “this year was the year,” she said, to impress colleges. That’s why she transferred in the fall from West High in Iowa City to the Iowa Connections Academy, an entirely virtual public school program.
- School choice could spur improvement, Jacobs says
- May 25, 6:12 AM: A former U.S. Senate candidate who’s also a past energy company executive said more school choice in Iowa could lead to improved academic results in the state.
- Iowa teacher asks to intervene in union lawsuit over collective bargaining
- > May 15, 6:34 AM: A northern Iowa special education teacher and his attorney from a national anti-union advocacy group are seeking to intervene in a union's lawsuit that challenges new restrictions on collective bargaining passed by
- Vouchers would allow Mason City school to expand 'high-level education with a Christian worldview'
- Apr 26, 5:02 AM: A growing faith-based K-12 school in Mason City says a implementation of a state school choice program would allow it to expand its top-level educational program.
- Iowa GOP wants school choice; results mixed among states with programs
- Apr 26, 4:58 AM: A program that would allow Iowa parents to use taxpayer money to put their child in a non-public school could be proposed next year when Iowa lawmakers resume their work.
- School choice could benefit K-12 students.
- Apr 17, 6:24 AM: Although a statewide survey revealed that a majority of Iowans supports school choice, Iowa City might have a different opinion on the topic.
- Charter school program helps students in Storm Lake, Iowa
- Apr 13, 5:43 AM: Storm Lake has one of the lowest four-year graduation rates for high schools in the state at least on paper. But what's behind those numbers is an entirely different story.
- School Choice May Have to Wait
- Mar 31, 5:55 AM: A tight state budget may mean a delay in one of the Branstad administration’s top legislative priorities. The issue of school choice for Iowa parents may have to wait for a brighter budget forecast.
- School Choice Fight in Iowa May Preview the One Facing Trump
- > Mar 21, 7:15 AM: Despite Republican control of the governor’s mansion and both houses of the State Legislature, proposals to significantly expand school choice programs in Iowa are stalled, at least for now. The pushback has come from
- Iowa could expand tax credit program that benefits private schools
- > Mar 14, 5:15 AM: If passed into law it would allow thousands of more students to receive state-supported tuition scholarships. More than 10,000 scholarships were awarded in 2015, the most recent data available from the Iowa Department of
- Iowa Poll: Majority oppose using public funds for private school
- Feb 27, 6:00 AM: The majority of Iowans say they oppose using public money to fund non-public schools, according to the latest Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll.
- Iowa families foregoing classroom for virtual school
- Feb 20, 6:31 AM: By the time she finishes her yearlong, cross-country trip, Sara Johnson will have visited nearly every state. And she's taking her two boys, ages 3 and 6, along for the ride.
- Program could allow Iowa parents to spend tax dollars on private school, tutoring
- > Jan 26, 7:13 AM: Gov. Terry Branstad rallied supporters of Iowa's school choice programs on Wednesday, sending a signal to lawmakers that he's supportive of a controversial proposal to let parents decide how to spend educational tax
- Lack of funding could slow Iowa school choice legislation
- > Jan 26, 6:00 AM: Expanding school choice for parents who want options to public schools has gained momentum, the chairman of the Iowa House Education Committee said Wednesday while attending a United for School Choice rally in Des Moines.
- Virtual K-12 school to host meetings ahead of March 1 enrollment deadline
- > Jan 11, 5:56 AM: Iowa Connections Academy is hosting a series of informational meetings this month for families and students interested in learning more about the online K-12 school operated by the Cumberland Anita and Messina Community
- School choice conversation likely coming when legislative session begins
- Jan 6, 7:51 AM: When Iowa's statehouse Republicans take control of the legislative agenda starting next Monday, educational issues like school choice will most likely be on the table.
- School choice proposals likely in Iowa
- Jan 5, 9:20 AM: How the state funds Iowa’s K-through-12 public schools could be altered dramatically this year when Republicans assume control of the legislative agenda.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- PR Newswire 83%
- Daily Iowan - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Hawk Eye - Online, The 0%
- Emmetsburg Reporter Democrat 17%