- Column: The talent pipeline that connects Iowa's education and workforce
- Jul 18, 7:48 AM: In my visits to more than 500 schools across Iowa, I have seen the role education plays in fueling the economy and building the skilled talent pipeline. There are three key themes.
- Iowa’s newest college graduates share old problem: debt
- May 15, 6:30 AM: Some students graduating from an Iowa college of university this month will have to pay off debts that could be close to $100,000.
- Education should be Iowans' first priority, and private schools are part of the equation
- > May 9, 5:25 AM: A public position that I have consistently taken is 100% advocacy of referenda or bond issues that are in support of public education. I do so because solid, quality education is at the core of our American democracy and
- Career pathways key at State of the Schools event
- > Apr 25, 7:13 AM: Every year, local leaders in education, business and industry gather for an update from the local schools and Marshalltown Community College, and this year’s discussion focused on getting students ready for local careers.
- Lawmakers may boost tax credit for donations to private school scholarships
- Apr 17, 6:06 AM: Bills that have emerged in the Iowa House and Senate would increase scholarships for students at private and parochial schools.
- Hundreds of Students Rally in Late Push for Dollars for Private Schools
- Apr 3, 6:03 AM: Students, teachers and parents filled the Iowa rotunda Tuesday in one of the largest rallies of the year to lobby lawmakers for increased opportunities for families in private schools.
- Opinion: 'School choice' is GOP attempt to siphon tax dollars from public education
- Mar 28, 5:02 AM: Iowa parents already have numerous options in education, including choice among public schools, hundreds of private schools and home schooling.
- Editorial: Iowa must eliminate private instruction option for home schooling, which can increase ris
- Mar 8, 6:51 AM: Iowa's independent private instruction option can leave youth uneducated and at risk of abuse. There are no standards about what students should learn and no abuse record checks on parents.
- Bill giving some parents 'school choice' advances in Iowa Senate
- Mar 7, 6:10 AM: A bill allowing parents of students with special education needs to use state money for public schools for private school expenses advanced out of an Iowa Senate Committee Wednesday.
- 'School choice' bill gets initial OK in Iowa Senate: Public money for private schools, home schooling
- > Mar 1, 7:07 AM: A "school choice" measure that would use public education money for private schools and home schooling in Iowa is moving through the state Capitol again, though its scope — and its chances — are unclear.
- Opinion: Vouchers threaten Iowa’s public schools
- > Mar 1, 6:24 AM: SF372 is the deluxe version of voucher bills — it would give $6,880 in taxpayer money to every child in Iowa who would like to attend a private school or homeschool. A similar bill introduced last year carried a price tag
- School choice' bill gets initial OK in Iowa Senate: Public money for private schools, home schooling
- > Feb 28, 6:26 AM: A "school choice" measure that would use public education money for private schools and home schooling in Iowa is moving through the state Capitol again, though its scope — and its chances — are unclear.
- Kids who go to school online don't feel effects of snow days
- > Feb 26, 7:24 AM: Snow days haven't impacted some eastern Iowa students because they go to school online. Samantha Spielbauer is a student of the Iowa Virtual Academy, which is a K-12 online school that kids can enroll in across the state.
- Commentary: Justice reform and education reform are linked
- > Feb 11, 6:05 AM: Education is the great equalizer and the best vehicle in driving students toward their passions. When done right, these passions then lead students to a life where they can thrive---and not just survive. This fundamental
- Coalition aims to grow internships, apprenticeships
A coalition of educators and employers has launched an initiative to increase work-based learning opportunities for high school juniors and seniors.
Jan 31, 8:26 AM:
- Virtual snow days requires kids to learn at home; here's how one rural Iowa district does it
- Jan 24, 6:56 AM: Snow days are no longer "free days" for students in one rural Iowa school district near the Minnesota border.
- Letter: Expand school tuition tax credit program
- > Jan 18, 7:14 AM: Every child deserves a fair and equal opportunity to excel in school. For parents, that means having the ability to choose a school best suited to their child’s needs. Unfortunately, not all families have that choice.
- Column: Expanding education choices for low-income families must be a 2019 Iowa Legislature priority
- Jan 8, 5:58 AM: With the 2019 session of the Iowa Legislature about to begin, discussions of hot-button issues and debates on statewide priorities will commence.
- More funding needed to continue online high school courses
- Dec 26, 7:56 AM: Hundreds of Iowa high school students may lose access to required foreign language classes if lawmakers don’t provide a cash infusion to a state-run initiative.
- Governor: Apprentices are 'learning and earning'
- Nov 14, 7:13 AM: Low unemployment may be one of the stats politicians brag about. But Iowa's governor says she's well aware that having everyone working can actually cause headaches for business managers.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- PR Newswire 83%
- Record-Herald and Indianola Tribune - Online 75%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Hawk Eye - Online, The 0%
- Emmetsburg Reporter Democrat 17%