- Charter school opponents plan Saturday forum on South Bend schools possible charter partnership
- Jan 8, 6:46 AM: A partnership between South Bend Community School Corp. and a charter school network will be the focus of a public forum from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Bill would separate test scores, teacher pay
- Jan 8, 6:32 AM: Teachers might no longer have their performance evaluations tied to student test scores under a bill that passed its first step Tuesday.
- Indiana governor changes stance on teacher pay action
- Jan 7, 7:19 AM: Indiana’s governor opened the door Monday to potentially boosting school funding and teacher pay after weeks of refuting any plans on such action until next year.
- Indiana’s $1 charter school law challenged by 2 more districts, following West Lafayette case
- > Jan 6, 9:18 AM: A pair of Northwest Indiana school districts, fearing they might have to give up recently vacated classroom space for $1 to a charter school, followed West Lafayette Community School Corp.’s lead this week, filing a
- Indiana state senator introduces bill to yank vouchers from schools that discriminate
- > Jan 6, 7:45 AM: An Indiana state senator has introduced a bill for the second year in a row that would prohibit schools that discriminate against LGBTQ people or other groups from receiving taxpayer money in the form of school vouchers.
- Graduation Rates Haven't Changed Much. But Gaps Persist For Black, ELL Students
- Jan 3, 8:03 AM: Indiana’s high school graduation rate dipped slightly in 2019, with the rate of students needing waivers from the state to earn a diploma, noticeably higher than previous years.
- Letters: Innovation a gamble for South Bend schools
- > Jan 2, 7:02 AM: However, it could lead to a gradual takeover by a charter school. They will be South Bend Community School Corp. students by name, but for how long? The money for these students will be handed over to the charter which has
- State graduation rate falls
- Jan 2, 6:41 AM: Almost 74,400 students earned diplomas from Indiana high schools in 2019, but that wasn't enough to boost the state's graduation rate, the Indiana Department of Education announced Tuesday.
- IPS Renews Innovation Pact With Phalen, Delays Enlace Vote
- Dec 20, 6:09 AM: Indianapolis Public Schools granted its first renewal for an innovation network school and delayed a vote on approval for another operator.
- Purdue makes case for its third high school, despite local opposition in South Bend
- Dec 20, 5:37 AM: Purdue President Mitch Daniels was thanking the South Bend Community School Corp. this week for taking steps to add the university’s third charter high school in the state, this time in South Bend.
- South Bend school district gets pushback on proposed charter school
- Dec 18, 8:34 AM: South Bend Community School Corp. is now one step closer to partnering with a new charter school. But some in the community are pushing back.
- Charter Schools USA loses charter bid, giving IPS a shot at reclaiming takeover schools
- > Dec 17, 6:49 AM: Indiana Charter School Board denied charters Friday for three Indianapolis turnaround schools — a stunning move that could spell the end to the Florida-based Charter Schools USA’s operations in Indianapolis.
- Teachers union to press lawmakers to use reserves to increase teacher pay
- Dec 16, 9:33 AM: The head of the state's largest teachers union says they will press lawmakers for an increase in teacher pay during the upcoming session, even though it's not a budget year.
- Our Opinion: Partnership between South Bend and charter schools worth exploring
- Dec 16, 7:05 AM: South Bend and Purdue Polytechnic are considering partnering to create an innovation school that would be housed inside an unused or underused district building. Washington High School is one option.
- Democrat Questions Teacher Union Endorsement
- Dec 12, 9:25 AM: One Democratic candidate for Governor is questioning an endorsement his opponent received from Indiana Chapter of the American Federation of Teachers.
- Teachers union urging Hoosiers to elect Gary state senator as next Indiana governor
- Dec 10, 8:41 AM: A national teachers union that chartered its first Indiana chapter in Gary 103 years ago believes a Democratic state senator from Gary is best suited to carry Hoosier education into the future.
- Could a partnership put a new charter school inside South Bend's Washington High School?
- Dec 9, 7:11 AM: A new partnership could bring the South Bend Community School Corp. and a charter school network together under one roof as early as next year.
- West Lafayette taxpayers look to join lawsuit against Indiana’s $1 charter school law
- > Dec 6, 7:39 AM: West Lafayette Community School Corp., trying to prove that it has a case in its constitutional challenge of a state law the superintendent says could cost the district rights to the former Happy Hollow Elementary, is
- IPS Makes Play For Manual High School, As State Board Paves Way
- > Dec 5, 6:56 AM: Indianapolis Public Schools teamed up with a local and powerful charter operator in a last-minute attempt to save one of its former high schools under state takeover from becoming a charter school managed by an
- This Indy charter school has urban farm, rooftop garden, more
- Dec 4, 8:13 AM: Paramount charter schools are outperforming many suburban schools. Here are some of the ways they teach.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Banner Graphic - Online 100%
- Evansville Courier & Press 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Kokomo Perspective - Online 17%
- Daily Journal - Online / Associated Press 17%