- Letter: Online school changed my life
- > Dec 19, 6:41 AM: After constantly being bullied at my brick-and-mortar high school, I knew I had to make a drastic change to reclaim my happiness. With my mental health deteriorating, my education was in jeopardy and I was no longer
- Column: Smoothing the transition from high school to college, career
- > Dec 19, 6:24 AM: The transition students make after high school graduation is one of the most important they face in their lives. It is exciting, but it can also be challenging to know the best course. In Indiana, we are taking steps to
- Editorial: Alternative reality
- > Dec 19, 5:27 AM: Indiana school choice proponents sold charter schools as setting a new standard in accountability: If they do not perform well, they will be shut down, supporters insisted. How long it takes to shut down a failing charter
- Interview: College Bloat Meets ‘The Blade’
- Dec 17, 8:51 AM: Mitch Daniels, America’s most innovative university president, tells how he’s kept tuition from rising and how acquiring Kaplan University will expand educational access.
- State Board Recommends New Virtual Charter School Regulations
- Dec 13, 6:37 AM: The State Board of Education is recommending crucial changes for virtual charter school regulations in Indiana, after members debated a key piece of the proposal at its December meeting.
- Teacher walkout possible in Indiana if General Assembly ignores pay issue. 'We expect action in 2019.'
- Dec 11, 8:00 AM: Teacher pay has quickly become one of the hottest topics of the 2019 legislative session – and it hasn’t even started yet.
- Purdue University Takes Giant Leaps In Democratizing Higher Education
- > Dec 5, 8:35 AM: Purdue is a Big Ten school known for its elite space program - the first and most recent astronauts to walk on the moon were Boilermakers (Purdue’s football team.) Now, the Cradle of Astronauts is making headlines for a
- More public schools are marketing themselves, potentially opening them up to new legal risks
- > Dec 3, 6:20 AM: Some in education see the new phenomenon as a natural evolution — as many states begin to treat public education like private business — but a lawsuit involving Indianapolis Public Schools has others wondering if the
- After flying under the radar, school districts’ online programs attract attention — and scrutiny
- > Nov 29, 7:00 AM: For years, local school districts in Indiana have run full-time, online-only programs for some of their students. There was no way to know how many students attended school virtually, and the districts collected the same
- Educators from around the country visited Indianapolis recently. Here's what they had to say.
- > Nov 26, 8:44 AM: That changed last month, though, after he joined a group of educators from around the country who paid Indianapolis a visit for a different reason. They came to look at schools, specifically those charter schools
- Kokomo Teachers Association dwindling
- > Nov 20, 7:24 AM: Kokomo always has been considered a union town, fostering large workers’ groups such as the United Auto Workers, United Steel Workers, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, and Carpenters Union, to name a
- Indianapolis Public Schools board sees some shakeup, but majority unchanged
- Nov 8, 6:33 AM: The Indianapolis Public Schools reformers appear to have held off challenges by teachers union-backed candidates to maintain their majority on the board.
- IPS critics poised to defeat incumbents in school board shakeup
- > Nov 7, 7:30 AM: Vocal critics of the Indianapolis Public Schools administration looked poised to unseat two incumbents in Tuesday’s school board election. The early results signaled opposition to sweeping moves that have reshaped the
- Column: Public schools' struggle correlates directly to state voucher support
- > Nov 6, 6:48 AM: Since the 2008 recession, despite claims of spending more than ever on education, the state has gone too far it in its efforts to “equalize” and conserve school funding, resulting in uncontrollable school financial
- High stakes on Election Day for Indianapolis Public Schools as it seeks a tax hike
- > Nov 2, 6:12 AM: Indianapolis Public Schools has a lot on the line come Election Day. There's the tax increase the school system is asking voters to approve — nearly $275 million in what district officials say are badly needed funds. But
- More students want to go to popular IPS magnet schools, but they still face barriers to getting in
- > Nov 1, 7:23 AM: One year in, Indianapolis’ new system for applying to magnet and charter schools has helped make school choice fairer and more accessible for low-income families — but barriers remain for getting into some of the city’s
- BSU, MCS oppose charter school proposal
- > Oct 31, 5:55 AM: Ball State University and Muncie Community Schools are opposing a proposed charter school for grades 7-12 in Muncie. A non-profit Michigan organization that operates a charter school in Flint is proposing a similar public
- Indiana schools finding success with eLearning
- > Oct 25, 7:06 AM: The use of eLearning days is growing in Indiana. Currently, 278 school districts or schools — including 101 nonpublic schools and 177 public — are approved for using eLearning days, said Candice Dodson, director of
- Second chance for Broad Ripple High School? IPS considering it for elementary school
- > Oct 24, 4:37 AM: The neighborhood association, local officials and state lawmakers have all urged the district to strike up a deal with charter school operators who had expressed interest in the property. Officials with IPS have said
- State Committee Recommends Big Shift For Virtual Charter School Rules
- Oct 23, 5:44 AM: A state committee is recommending sweeping changes to rules for virtual charter schools in Indiana, as the group reached general agreement Monday on a drafted set of proposed policy changes.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Banner Graphic - Online 100%
- Evansville Courier & Press 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Kokomo Perspective - Online 17%
- Daily Journal - Online / Associated Press 17%