- Local graduates from Indiana Connections Academy share their stories
- > Jul 6, 7:11 AM: Enrollment at Indiana Connections Academy (ICA), just one online public school option for Hoosiers, increased by nearly 1,000 from 2013 to 2016 according to the Indiana Department of Education. A total of 3,705 students
- School Vouchers Get A New Report Card
- > Jun 26, 8:05 AM: For years, the answer from researchers has been a muddle, while a handful of recent studies have clearly shown voucher students backsliding academically. But no one has studied the largest, single statewide program in the
- Excel Center School for Adults to Open in Muncie
- Jun 20, 5:46 AM: If you live in Muncie and don't have a high school diploma, you'll have another chance to earn one at a new charter school for adults.
- State board gives break to low-performing voucher schools
- > Jun 8, 6:23 AM: Four private, religious schools can resume taking new students on the public dime after the State Board of Education granted the schools a reprieve from accountability rules that had barred them from taking new voucher
- Improving city school can accept vouchers
- Jun 8, 5:41 AM: The State Board of Education gave waivers Wednesday to four private schools, including one in Fort Wayne, that otherwise would not have been allowed to add new voucher students this fall.
- This Indianapolis charter school has a solution to its teacher shortage: ‘Grow’ its own educators.
- Jun 7, 5:26 AM: When new teachers step through the doors of Christel House Academy, they are seldom prepared for the challenges of working in a school dedicated to educating students in poverty.
- IPS to absorb high-performing charter schools
- May 26, 6:47 AM: After several months of debate, the IPS School Board voted Thursday evening to admit Riverside High School and Herron High School as Innovation charter schools.
- IPS creating career academies in effort to retain students for high school
- May 25, 5:26 AM: Each year, the Indianapolis Public Schools system loses hundreds of would-be middle school and high school students to private schools, charter schools, townships schools — anywhere but IPS.
- Education Secretary Betsy DeVos visits voucher high school in Indianapolis
- > May 24, 7:10 AM: The morning after speaking at a pro school-choice event in Downtown Indianapolis, U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos visited a high-performing west-side high school where nearly every student receives school
- How Indiana Holds Private Schools Accountable
- > May 15, 6:43 AM: When Indiana gave out school ratings last fall, Central Christian Academy’s board called an emergency meeting. The school had gotten another D, and once again it would not be able to receive new vouchers, the public money
- School choice advocates support Indiana political candidates
- May 15, 5:08 AM: Hoosier politicians at both the state and federal levels have received hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign donations from prominent school choice supporters.
- The Promise And Peril Of School Vouchers
- May 12, 7:07 AM: Wendy Robinson wants to make one thing very clear. As the long-serving superintendent of Fort Wayne public schools, Indiana's largest district, she is not afraid of competition from private schools.
- Little used law allows charter network to take over vacant Indianapolis elementary school for $1
- May 12, 5:11 AM: The Tindley Accelerated Schools charter school network is poised to take over a vacant Indianapolis Public Schools elementary school. The price? $1.
- Indianapolis charter operator wants to take on an epic task: Managing all the struggling Gary elementary schools
- May 11, 4:56 AM: A local charter school that has partnered with Indianapolis Public Schools could be taking on a huge new challenge — managing all of the elementary schools in the deeply troubled Gary school district.
- 3 voucher schools ask school board for delay in consequences
- > May 10, 6:59 AM: Indiana's state school board will consider delaying consequences for three voucher-accepting private schools, less than two weeks after Gov. Eric Holcomb signed a law allowing such schools to make the request.
- Almost all the private schools getting vouchers in Indiana are religious
- > May 10, 5:16 AM: Voucher advocates, including current U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, say they want families to be able to choose from a diverse marketplace of schools. But Indiana’s complicated school choice system offers little
- After 2-Year Delay, Failing Virtual Charter School Could Be Closed
- May 9, 4:43 AM: Hoosier Academies Virtual School was near the brink of closure by the Indiana State Board of Education in March 2015 when the board opted for a one-year delay on casting a verdict.
- Indiana private schools can get state dollars immediately thanks to a bill signed by Gov. Holcomb
- > May 2, 5:05 AM: Under a law signed by Gov. Eric Holcomb on Friday, new private schools will be able to receive state funding for student tuition from the day they open their doors. The move eliminates a one-year waiting period for private
- Charter for Seven Oaks Classical School Challenged by Lawsuit
- > Apr 26, 5:25 AM: A group of public education advocates filed a lawsuit in federal court today seeking to revoke the charter of Seven Oaks Classical School in Ellettsville. The suit was filed by the local chapter of the Indiana Coalition
- New Albany Charter School asks for expansion money; Teacher's Assoc. pushes back
- Apr 25, 6:16 AM: A Montessori School in New Albany is asking the district for a quarter of a million dollars to help build a new fine arts facility.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Banner Graphic - Online 100%
- Evansville Courier & Press 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Kokomo Perspective - Online 17%
- Daily Journal - Online / Associated Press 17%