- New Albany Charter School asks for expansion money; Teacher’s Assoc. pushes back
- Apr 25, 6:16 AM: A Montessori School in New Albany is asking the district for a quarter of a million dollars to help build a new fine arts facility.
- Bill to make state superintendent an appointed position goes to governor’s desk
- Apr 19, 6:08 AM: The state schools superintendent will soon be appointed by the Indiana governor. Lawmakers voted to pass a compromise Tuesday that sends the bill to the governor’s desk. If signed, the change will take effect in 2025.
- Will state require voucher schools to report finances?
- Apr 18, 5:06 AM: In response to an IndyStar investigation of Indiana's school voucher program, lawmakers are taking steps to increase financial transparency of private schools that accept public dollars for school choice.
- Panel: Indy should close 3 of 7 public high schools
- > Apr 17, 7:17 AM: An Indianapolis Public Schools task force has recommended closing three of the district’s seven high schools because of declining enrollments, due primarily to a loss of population in the city’s urban core and competition from other
- Indiana bill adding religious classes to public, charter schools gets to governor’s desk
- Apr 17, 7:15 AM: Indiana House Bill 1024 would allow School Corporations and Charter Schools to include classes on religion in their curriculum. But they must be neutral and can't promote or favor one religion over another.
- School takeover bill draws criticism, praise
- Apr 12, 6:01 AM: Rescuing troubled school districts in Gary and Muncie might come back to haunt the Indiana General Assembly, members of the House say.
- Senate OKs bill giving voucher schools appeal option
- Apr 7, 5:58 AM: Indiana state senators have endorsed an education bill knocked by critics as easing accountability standards for the state's private schools that accept vouchers.
- Indiana Senate OKs bill giving voucher schools appeal option
- Apr 6, 6:35 AM: Indiana state senators have endorsed an education bill knocked by critics as easing accountability standards for the state's private schools that accept vouchers.
- House votes in support of MCS takeover
- Apr 6, 5:37 AM: The Indiana House on Wednesday night voted 64-30 in defense of an amended bill that would place deficit-ridden Muncie Community Schools under state control.
- Indiana Senate OKs bill that lets governor appoint schools chief
- > Apr 5, 6:04 AM: Indiana senators on Tuesday approved making the position of state superintendent of public instruction a job appointed by the governor and no longer elected by voters. The approval came after a similar proposal was rejected earlier
- State takeover of Muncie Schools proposed
- Apr 3, 6:26 AM: The chairman of the Indiana House Ways and Means Committee is expected to offer a bill amendment on Monday to designate Muncie Schools as a distressed political subdivision, giving the state new and wide-ranging control.
- How taxpayers pay for religious education
- > Mar 30, 6:43 AM: At Colonial Christian, an Indianapolis school on the northeast side that receives public funds through Indiana’s private school voucher program, students are warned they can be kicked out of school for “promoting a homosexual
- Voucher schools bill advances
- Mar 30, 5:46 AM: A House education bill knocked by critics as reducing accountability for Indiana voucher schools cleared a Senate panel Wednesday.
- State may promote alternatives to teachers unions
- Mar 28, 6:46 AM: Hoosier lawmakers want the state agency that oversees education labor relations to remind teachers they are not required to belong to a union.
- Panel OKs new state ed chief bill
- Mar 28, 5:30 AM: The Senate Rules Committee pushed through a new version of an appointed superintendent of public instruction bill Monday despite opposition based on concept and process.
- Bill would quicken start of new voucher schools
- Mar 27, 6:53 AM: Public school advocates and education reformers are clashing over a legislative proposal that would make it easier for private schools to immediately enter Indiana's voucher system.
- Are voucher students improving?
- > Mar 27, 4:49 AM: When supporters laid the groundwork for what would become Indiana’s vast private school voucher program, they made a simple promise: Provide Hoosier schoolchildren in struggling public schools access to a better
- Why families choose school vouchers
- > Mar 23, 5:44 AM: Zaya is one of 34,000 Hoosier students pursuing a better education through Indiana's school voucher program, also known as choice scholarships. The public funding of vouchers offsets some of the costs of private school tuition,
- Indiana House panel advances measure on teacher unions
- Mar 22, 6:38 AM: Indiana lawmakers are considering a measure that requires state officials to publicize the percentage of teachers who are union members and, in some cases, inform them that they can get rid of or change that representation.
- How voucher dollars kept coming as a private school collapsed
- > Mar 20, 5:00 AM: An IndyStar examination of Todd Academy’s experience with school vouchers exposes a serious lack of basic fiscal controls in Indiana’s highly popular school choice system. While both traditional public schools and charter schools
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Banner Graphic - Online 100%
- Evansville Courier & Press 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Kokomo Perspective - Online 17%
- Daily Journal - Online / Associated Press 17%