- Teachers union skeptical of Ball State governance of Muncie schools
- Jan 19, 6:56 AM: The head of the Muncie Teachers Association on Thursday expressed doubts about a proposed state law to give Ball State University the power to appoint the majority of Muncie Community School Board members.
- Report shows impact of transfers, vouchers on MCCSC, R-BB
- Jan 19, 6:15 AM: More than 1,000 Monroe County students attend a school outside of the public school district in which they reside, according to a report released from the Indiana Department of Education.
- Ball State would take over Muncie Community Schools in new proposal
- > Jan 18, 7:13 AM: Muncie’s struggling schools were taken over by the state and handed to an emergency manager over the summer. Last month, the state’s Distressed Unit Appeals Board voted to make Muncie Schools an official distressed unit,
- > Jan 16, 6:50 AM: Indiana lawmakers want to study the impact of 529 College Savings Plans on state revenue after a just enacted federal tax change allows the accounts to be spent on tuition at private elementary and high schools.
- Renaissance Academy students excel
- > Jan 15, 8:13 AM: The school, headed by Kieran McHugh, opened in fall 2007 as the only charter school in LaPorte County. It grew out of Renaissance Academy, a small kindergarten-through-eighth-grade private, nonprofit Montessori school
- Study: 28 percent of South Bend students attend school elsewhere
- > Jan 15, 6:35 AM: About 28 percent of school-age children living within the South Bend Community School Corp. boundaries in fall 2017 were attending another public school system, a public charter school or using a state-funded voucher to
- EVSC Virtual Academy selected as state course provider
- > Jan 11, 6:58 AM: The Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation's Virtual Academy has been selected as one of a handful of online programs that will provide online courses as part of the Indiana Course Access Program (iCAP). ICAP is a pilot
- Exploring school choice in IN as KY could follow suit
- > Jan 11, 5:46 AM: The program launched in 2011 with the intent of giving parents equal access to choose their child's education in private, public or charters schools in Indiana. According to EdChoice, there were 34,299 participating
- South Bend parents browse options at 'Focus 2018' meeting
- Jan 10, 6:10 AM: Big change is coming for South Bend students.Parents got a chance to browse the options. The school board passed the Focus 2018 plan last month. The plan impacts every student.
- Two Indiana Senate bills would tighten up rules for charter school oversight
- Jan 5, 7:12 AM: Two Indiana senators — a Republican and a Democrat — are calling for the state to reform how charter schools are overseen.
- South Bend school board approves plan to overhaul district
- > Dec 19, 6:09 AM: The South Bend Community School Corp. board approved an overhaul of the district Monday that will close or merge five schools, send fifth-graders back to elementary school, redraw neighborhood school boundaries and change
- State takes full control of Muncie Community Schools
- Dec 14, 6:17 AM: The state’s Distressed Unit Appeal Board voted 5-0 on Wednesday to take full control of both finances and academics at deficit-ridden Muncie Community Schools.
- An Indianapolis private school touted by DeVos is adding 400 more seats
- Dec 13, 7:09 AM: An Indianapolis private school that is dedicated to promoting racial and economic integration is planning to grow by 50 percent in the coming years.
- Millions of extra dollars go to Indianapolis magnet schools that have fewer poor students
- > Dec 12, 8:20 AM: Indianapolis Public Schools leaders recently overhauled school budgets in a bid to give more money to schools with poor students. At the same time, they quietly sent more than $6.5 million extra to 17 schools — including
- What happened to South Bend's first charter school?
- Dec 11, 7:18 AM: Last year at this time, children were reading and writing and learning in the classrooms at Veritas Academy, a charter school on Ireland Road. Today the school building stands quiet and vacant.
- Teachers union backs state takeover of MCS
- Dec 11, 6:45 AM: The leader of the teachers union at Muncie Community Schools is urging the state to assume control of the district, a move opposed by the chamber of commerce.
- Gov. Eric Holcomb says Indiana’s low-rated online charter schools need ‘immediate attention and action’
On Thursday, Gov. Eric Holcomb said the Indiana Virtual School’s “unsatisfactory” performance — which includes two years of F grades, low ISTEP scores and high student-teacher ratio — requires policymakers to get >
Dec 8, 7:01 AM:
- Gary School Board unhappy with powerless status
- > Dec 6, 6:51 AM: It's been seven months since the state stripped Gary School Board members of their authority as elected officials. Despite the time lapse, the new reality continues to be an adjustment for some board members who continue
- Judge rules that Seven Oaks lawsuit can proceed
- > Nov 30, 6:48 AM: The Indiana Coalition for Public Education of Monroe County filed a lawsuit in April against the Ellettsville charter school requesting a federal district court void Seven Oaks’ charter. Defendants in the case are state
- Aspire Charter Academy's innovative performing arts program attracts students, revving up academics
- Nov 27, 8:24 AM: Aspire Charter Academy has created a Saturdays-only performing and visual arts program that has attracted 45 children.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Banner Graphic - Online 100%
- Evansville Courier & Press 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Kokomo Perspective - Online 17%
- Daily Journal - Online / Associated Press 17%