- Indiana's Private School Vouchers Program Costs $173M, Enrollment Stays Flat
- Jul 2, 5:58 AM: The overall growth of Hoosier students using publicly-funded vouchers to attend a private school remains relatively flat as the cost increases, according to a just released report.
- Indianapolis Public Schools propose strategy to address racial disparities
- Jun 26, 7:31 AM: A new strategy to address racial inequities for Indianapolis Public Schools' Black students and parents has been proposed to the school's board.
- Indianapolis charter schools announce reopening
- Jun 26, 7:22 AM: Leaders of Marion County charter schools announced in a letter to families Thursday that classrooms will reopen at their scheduled date.
- If schools close again, a new grant will help them be better prepared for online learning
- > Jun 23, 7:40 AM: As schools prepare to reopen classrooms in the fall, many are planning for continued online learning – in the event that some students aren’t ready to return to in-person instruction or if the coronavirus pandemic forces
- Pacers All-Star George Hill opens charter school on Indy’s east side
- > Jun 16, 6:20 AM: Indiana Pacers All-Star George Hill was in Indianapolis on Monday to celebrate a new charter school he helped start. A dream six years in the making will come true this fall when the Him By Her Collegiate School For the
- From preschools to college campuses in Indiana, schools plan for fall reopening
- > May 28, 6:33 AM: Many districts are considering some version of remote learning. Hamilton Southeastern Schools is surveying students, parents and teachers about how eLearning has gone to help the district be prepared for future use.
- Viewpoint: Vote no on South Bend referendum to really support public schools
- > May 15, 7:20 AM: Over the past few school years, on average, South Bend’s high schools are rated as C, its middle schools are rated as F, and its elementary schools rated as D. By any measure, South Bend schools is not preparing the
- Charter school leaders form PAC to oppose South Bend schools referendum
- > May 6, 7:03 AM: The president of a South Bend charter school group has formed a political action committee to oppose the city school district’s upcoming $220-million referendum, saying he wants to force the district to confront its
- State charter board to require Indianapolis schools to use Enroll Indy
- Apr 30, 6:19 AM: The Indiana Charter School Board voted Wednesday to require Indianapolis campuses it oversees to participate in the city’s common enrollment system, Enroll Indy.
- Charter For Emma Donnan's New Operator Approved In Fast-Track Process
- > Apr 29, 6:15 AM: The Indianapolis Charter School Board sped up its approval process Tuesday to allow a new operator to restart Emma Donnan Elementary-Middle School this summer. Instead of holding two meetings on the application from
- Colleges are getting millions to help students in need, but don't know how to spend it.
- > Apr 23, 7:39 AM: Indiana colleges and universities are set to receive to roughly $200 million from the federal government’s coronavirus relief package – a welcome boost as higher education institutions and their students face unprecedented
- How closed schools impact English learners and how teachers communicate amid coronavirus
- Apr 15, 8:41 AM: Teachers of English language learners who spoke to IndyStar said they are concerned about learning loss, but said they won’t know the extent until school buildings reopen, whenever that may be.
- Operation Education: Families, teachers impacted by challenging e-learning transition
- > Apr 14, 6:47 AM: He understands eLearning may be imperfect and frustrating for parents. But he also cited his research on kids who went from being in a classroom to online charter schools in Indiana. It showed negative outcomes for kids.
- Operation Education: Empowerment Zone, teachers union divided over $10K stipend
- > Apr 9, 7:54 AM: A $10,000 increase in pay-- that's what the South Bend Empowerment Zone wants to give teachers at Coquillard Elementary and Navarre Middle School. But local union representatives say the move brings the schools a step
- All K-12 schools in Indiana will move to online learning for the remainder of the academic year
- > Apr 3, 6:57 AM: All K-12 schools in Indiana will deliver remote instruction for the remainder of the academic year. Superintendent Dr. Jennifer McCormick made the announcement during Gov. Eric Holcomb's press briefing Thursday afternoon.
- IPS Board Reaffirms Budget, Innovation Schools After Concerns On Meeting Access
- > Apr 1, 6:07 AM: District staff are still working to figure out a remote learning plan for students. IPS is on spring break now, and school is scheduled to resume April 6. Johnson says high school students will be receiving some type of
- Coronavirus pushed school online. But what happens when you don't have internet at home?
- > Mar 26, 6:46 AM: So, while her colleagues are “social distancing” by teaching their classes from home and her students complete assignments from their kitchen tables, Uesseler will be inside her empty classroom – making use of the school’s
- Wilson: Meet 3 Indianapolis Charter School Networks That Are All In on Virtual Learning
- > Mar 25, 8:00 AM: Three much-admired school networks in Indianapolis didn’t skip a beat in going virtual. At Purdue Polytechnic High School, which enrolls 442 students at two campuses in the city, remote learning kicked off Monday, March
- ‘We are still watching’: Teachers address state lawmakers for final day of session
- > Mar 12, 8:27 AM: As the 2020 session comes to an end, teachers across the state used Red for Ed walk-ins to highlight the need for increased public education. “The message is still out there and the message is clear,” said Indiana State
- WL teachers: Share school referendum money with charters? Outrageous, legislators
- > Mar 10, 6:01 AM: With that same determined mindset, West Lafayette’s school board initiated a lawsuit to declare the 2011 empty space law unconstitutional. As written, any building not currently being used by a public school corporation
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Banner Graphic - Online 100%
- Evansville Courier & Press 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Kokomo Perspective - Online 17%
- Daily Journal - Online / Associated Press 17%