- Many parents still don't know about vouchers, other school choice options
- > Sep 20, 6:24 AM: About one-third of parents who participated in a recent survey about school choice options in Indiana said they hadn't heard of the program that gives low- and middle-income families public money to put toward tuition at
- IPS board votes to close Broad Ripple, Arlington and Northwest high schools
- Sep 19, 4:51 AM: After months of public comment and debate, the Indianapolis Public Schools board voted Monday night to close the three high schools and shut the door on a painful few months for the district.
- DeVos examines dual-credit programs at charter schools in Gary
- Sep 18, 7:15 AM: U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos visited two Gary charter schools Friday to examine their dual-credit programs.
- Innovation schools saw some of the largest gains on ISTEP in Indianapolis Public Schools
- Sep 8, 5:23 AM: When ISTEP scores are released each year, buried in the rankings of the highest and lowest scoring schools is another story — schools that have made significant progress or seen precipitous drops.
- ISTEP results show little improvement as about half of 3rd- through 8th-graders fail
- Sep 7, 5:17 AM: Student scores on Indiana’s high-stakes, end-of-year tests remained largely flat for the third straight year, raising questions about whether the state is making academic progress.
- McCormick: Increase Accountability For Charter, Voucher Schools
- Aug 28, 4:43 AM: State Superintendent Jennifer McCormick called for more accountability on charter schools and private schools using taxpayer-funded vouchers during a forum Saturday.
- Struggling Gary Schools Open Under New Leadership — The State
- Aug 18, 5:39 AM: Thursday marks the first day of school for children in the Gary, Indiana, public school system — and the first time a school system in Indiana has opened under state control.
- Virtual Reality Science Lessons Now At Indy Charter School
- Aug 11, 6:49 AM: An Indianapolis charter school will be one of the first in the country to use a virtual reality program to teach science to high school students.
- Charter school opens in Hammond focusing on high school dropouts
- > Aug 7, 6:52 AM: A new charter school focused on high school dropouts will open in Hammond this fall. The school, called the Excel Center, has been established by Goodwill Leads Inc., which is associated with Goodwill Industries. The
- Private Company Will Manage 3 IPS Takeover Schools For 3 More Years
- Aug 4, 5:48 AM: A proposal to ensure the transition of three schools under state control back to Indianapolis Public Schools did not gain approval from the State Board of Education Wednesday.
- Hamilton County's first junior high charter school changes learning experiences for students
- Aug 3, 6:10 AM: The alternative school has two campuses in Carmel and Noblesville – where seventh and eighth graders will be welcomed when classes begin August 8.
- Three charter schools could return to IPS by 2020
- > Aug 1, 6:08 AM: Charter Schools USA is planning for a future at its three Indianapolis schools. They’re recommitted to improving Emma Donnan Middle School and Howe and Manual high schools — struggling schools stripped from the
- IPS strips school of teachers union as part of innovation transformation
- > Aug 1, 6:01 AM: With little public debate, teachers at John Marshall Middle School lost the protection of the district union. Indianapolis Public Schools and union leaders disagree about how it happened, but the impact is clear. The
- Weszely set to take over at RCA
- > Jul 31, 6:48 AM: The school at Graysville was closed for the 2002-03, but opened up the following school year as Rural Community Academy, a K-8 charter school through Ball State University. 'It had come full circle for me,” said Weszely.
- 3 Takeover Schools Would Transition From Charter Schools USA Back To IPS Under Plan
- > Jul 28, 6:05 AM: Charter Schools USA could relinquish control of three Indianapolis schools in 2020 if the State Board of Education approves a proposal next week. Updated contracts between the Florida-based company and the state would
- Recognized charter school shuts down two Indianapolis locations
- Jul 26, 6:29 AM: In fact, 25 have closed over the past four years, including two in Indianapolis from a nationally recognized program. As the buildings sit empty, some taxpayers are winding up on the losing end.
- Parents elected to charter’s school board
- Jul 19, 7:06 AM: With the construction of a school comes the filling of its school board, and last night Otwell Miller Academy named the first five members of its nine-person governing council.
- Charter school works to fill school board slots
- > Jul 13, 6:01 AM: And as the construction pushes forward at Pike County’s first charter school, the assignment of the new entity’s school board is also becoming a priority for members of the Friends of Otwell group.
- KIPP Indy is working to stop kids from disappearing over the summer. It’s a challenge many schools face
- Jul 10, 6:49 AM: Every summer, each teacher in KIPP Indy Public Schools gets a roster, about 20 student names long, to call before the start of the new school year.
- As Indianapolis Public Schools looks to close high schools, 2 new innovation high schools win support
- Jul 7, 6:07 AM: The proposed innovation high schools are likely to draw criticism because the move comes at the same time that IPS is aiming to close three traditional high schools as a result of low enrollment.
Overall rating for
Best Performing Outlets
- Banner Graphic - Online 100%
- Evansville Courier & Press 83%
Total media outlets:
Worst Performing Outlets
- Kokomo Perspective - Online 17%
- Daily Journal - Online / Associated Press 17%